PDA

View Full Version : Air Ram on the side?

xdfarrx
03/05/2004, 07:26 PM
A question. For normally aspirated vx's I have a question. I am getting a cold air box fabricated (that is getting spec'd for general purchase later), in the stock fitment. My question is (Tone, Cyrk, Sgt. batguano) where is most ideal to establish the intake for fresh air, besides an induction scoop in the hood as the other thread suggested. My speed shop guy near Tahoe suggested due to the low pressure at the nose of the car, this is the most ideal environment, but the aperture to gt the air in in less then clear.... What I proposed to my guy here in LA, is to mount a small 6 inch induction cowl on the driver side mounting into the stock hole via the stock box/snorkel... If done right could look cool, but maybe wack too, and might capitilize on the low pressure environment, thus the ram air deal. Another note- my rally/speed shop guy in Carson said not to use the stock hole/aperture from the front wheel because he felt the wheel at speed creates a vacuum/venturi affect actually sucking air away from the wheel, thus the induction hole in the wheel well. That environment is less then ideal for good air draw.... Just what I was told but does make sense... anyone???

SpaceTruck'n
03/06/2004, 01:37 PM
Yes I like this idea. I would like to experiment with a hole in the front left fender smoothed out to look like a large gun port ( The .50 Machine-guns on F-86) One large nostril if you will. I frenched a power antenna into the pillar of an '83 Nissan truck a while back and it looked awesome. something like that only pointing forward is what I have in mind.
I think the Subaru WRX “bread box” scoop sucks. A big gawky thing like that had better give me about an extra 50 horsepower and at least 20 MPG because its double ugly.
Although VXMans first Photoshop version looks good. Its subtle and unobtrusive. I particularly like the way the front is recessed into the hood. But the actual Subaru ones are just too big.
They are not VXish.
On the other hand, a smooth hole on the fender slurping up lots of cold dense air without getting in the way is stealthy and beautiful.

WormGod
03/06/2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by SpaceTruck'n
I think the Subaru WRX “bread box” scoop sucks. A big gawky thing like that had better give me about an extra 50 horsepower and at least 20 MPG because its double ugly.

Big gawky thing? And the ".50 Machine-guns on F-86" design would be more attractive? :confused:

SpaceTruck'n
03/06/2004, 05:25 PM
Yes, It would be elegant and original if it was done correctly.

Go here to see .50 gunports on F-86

http://www.fabulousrocketeers.com/Photo_Moon_Suit.htm

I figured the F-86 part would confuse people. Im not talking about the jet intake.
Im not talking about the muzzle of the gun either.
Im talking about the gun PORT.
Those three oval shaped holes that the bullets come out of.
Now think of one of those on the left side fender or possibly the cladding.
I really like VXMAN’s picture “hood_fangs” and “hood scoop idea” very cool and slick. Also Maverick’s “naca ducted hood anyone..” But the full size WRX scoop is just too much IMHO.

SGT.BATGUANO
03/06/2004, 08:12 PM
I'm really not too sure about the vaccuum theory, as the area between the inner wheel well and fender is pretty well enclosed and therefore protected from that, especially on a vehicle that will most likely never see over 120 M.P.H. due to ECU speed limiting. Not to mention that the stock location has suited isuzu just fine over the years. Now, if you're talking about placing a scoop IN the inner fender well, and exposing the scoop to tire debris, water, etc. and air patterns, I would say DON'T.

Through-the-fender and on the outside of the fender might be a good airflow spot, if ducted to a stock type box for separating water and debris from air.

Another option might be to consider some kind of under-the-bumper scoop setup, like on the 1968 Olds 442. But that would hurt on the off-road side for general clearance and water-crossing abilities.

The custom airbox on my current VX is just the stock location, boxed-in with sheet aluminum at the rear and engine bay sides and a K&N cone filter.

If Joe Black fabs a hood, I'd like to see something like a cowl induction or forward facing scoop, the full width of the insert, with a 1/2" to 3/4" wall that raises the scoop entrance off the hoodline (that would take care of some water/debris problems by keeping the scoop up high) .

I'd suggest you try some photoshop or .pnt work before cutting holes in your fenders. Also buy replacements for the parts you cut if you ever decide to put it back to factory.

WormGod
03/07/2004, 03:53 PM
Well, the way I see it, everyone is getting itchy to create mods, and the more the better. Regardless of what the mod is, keep 'em coming. Someone will always be interested no matter what. I believe this is the first time so many ideas have surfaced at once. I am really diggin' it!!!