PDA

View Full Version : Pressure for 285's

Teckhardt
03/06/2004, 09:40 AM
I have only had my Nitto Terra Grapplers for 4k miles. Just wondering what others with this size (285/60-18) tire are running in the way of pressure for the best ride and wear.

Thanks

Baxman
03/06/2004, 10:50 AM
Trenton, I have D load range BFG ATs sized 275/70-16. I like to keep good pressure in them (45-48psi) for better street handling and a slight boost in MPG. No excessive wear in the middle of the tread from being "overinflated", but they are wearing more on the outer 1/2 of the tread from spirited cornering.

Rick

rocket man
03/06/2004, 03:55 PM
I have the Grapplers too..same size and all...I run 34 lbs...MUCH better feel than the oems.....may even keep dropping just to get a little mo softer ride....been getting about 17 mpg with these. Had a person walk up to me at Home Depot and ask about them last Monday...that has never happened before:)

coachreed
03/26/2004, 07:49 PM
I run around 38lbs in my Terra Grapplers... I haven't noticed any wear problems on mine... I have 15K-18K miles on mine already... and heck, thats with my VX being down since December... only had the tires on it for about 8 months or so before I had to park it.

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am) ;)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/406banner.jpg (http://www.geocities.com/ironmanvx2000)
Undergoing LS1 Conversion as we speak!
Click Image to Visit My Website!

mrtew
03/28/2004, 05:24 AM
Finally got my 'Grapplers!!! At first I tried pumping them all the way up to 45 because I like a real firm cornering posture and steering/accellerator response but it was just too hard with Detroit's pothole situation. I lowered them to 36lbs and I like the ride a LOT better and the cornering still seems great. One other benefit I notice having them softer is the straight line stability is MUCH better than with them (or my old Yokos) rock hard. When the road surface would get weird here as it often does, I used to uncontrolably bob and weave a lot, but now it plows right thru everything like a normal car. I love these tires!

jim.LR>AR
03/28/2004, 05:43 AM
In my kumho 285's I run 35lbs. Alot smoother than the oem bridgstone

Daver
03/29/2004, 06:12 PM
I vary my BFGs. 44 in the winter for traction in snow, 35 in the summer for onroad comfort. Last year I tried 28, but that was a bit too soft, IMHO.

When I got the M3 I decided I favored my back more than high-speed cornering in the VX. :D

Find what you like, within reason. Try a few different pressures. Watch the wear on the tires. Uneven wear might mean early replacement, but comfort and performance both come at the price of treadlife.

-Daver

BigJoe
03/29/2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by jim.LR>AR
In my kumho 285's I run 35lbs. Alot smoother than the oem bridgstone

Did you have to do any trimming for the Kumhos?

jim.LR>AR
03/30/2004, 07:24 AM
About 3/4 to 1 inch on the inside of the drivers side. The pass. side didn't rub at all. Go figure. When I bought them I had the front alligned , The guy put it to "oem specs" and it was a little crazy when breaking hard. But the mech. realligned with some different specs???? And it will stop from 50 to 0 hard and you don't have to touch the wheel. He said they had to "pull down the a arm". I know very little about allignment just basic tow and camber. But he hoked it up.

driver3
03/30/2004, 03:48 PM
I run my 285/forget(winter,they're in storage)/18 kumho's around 45, I love them for the summer, then I run 265/75/16's in the winter at 35.

mrtew
03/30/2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Daver
I vary my BFGs. 44 in the winter for traction in snow,

I always wondered if pumping up the tires would help in the winter. I always figured it would be a good idea, but am glad to find out that others agree. Since you air down to float on top of the sand, airing up to cut thru the snow makes sense to me.... the last thing you want to do is float on top of it! :-]