PDA

View Full Version : Introduce yourself here!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]

CatFish
05/26/2017, 10:22 AM
Hello! I acquired a 1999 VehiCross today. Purchased it remotely from Colorado where ironically it had been shipped from Phoenix, and had it shipped back down to me :)

So far am very happy with the purchase, as it is in great shape. Pretty much the only issues are the ABS light (which I understand is par for the course with these), and the passenger window is a bit slow (also a common issue).

I was glad to find this site and forum, as I am pretty late to the game as far as ownership of a VehiCross goes, so it is great to find a wealth of archived information and a still active user base :)

I don't see an option to upload or embed a photo, so here is a link:
http://i.imgur.com/7h94v9s.jpg

-Charles

Welcome to the forum,

There is an easy adjustment you can do to re-align the windows so they roll up straight, if nothing is broken this should correct the slow or binding window problem. It worked for mine.
http://www.vehicross.info/showthread.php/27343-NEW-VX-window-fix?highlight=new+window

JoFotoz
05/26/2017, 04:55 PM
Just a possible quick fix on the windows if they are just slow ....

Spray silicone liberally in the tracks,rubber grooves etc...and along window rubber at bottom.
Run window up and down a few times to "spread' it.
usually fixes slow windows.

Welcome to the addiction :)

Cheers
Jo

VX KAT
05/26/2017, 07:35 PM
Hi Charles- I live about 90 miles North of Phoenix, but get to the valley often. I had a VX for 5 yrs, but now have a Trooper. Hope to meet you one day. :thumbup:

The window issue can also be that the clips that hold the glass to the raising mechanism have broken, or it can be a combination of the issues everyone mentioned above. There's a guy in Apache Junction that makes and sells some metal brackets custom fit for the VX to replace the broken or weak plastic clips. Here's a link to his site selling them. His name is Tim. I had him personally install my brackets since I lived close enough. I had them installed before my clips broke. I think probably more than half of all VXers now have these "SBC" brackets installed.
http://www.streetboutiquecustoms.com

Blazer
05/26/2017, 10:41 PM
Welcome to the forum,

There is an easy adjustment you can do to re-align the windows so they roll up straight, if nothing is broken this should correct the slow or binding window problem. It worked for mine.
http://www.vehicross.info/showthread.php/27343-NEW-VX-window-fix?highlight=new+window

Thanks for that tip, I will definitely investigate the tracks and regulator mount to see if that's the case. I don't have one of those "special tools" that most people use to pop the plastic clips that commonly hold door panels on - I haven't even investigated to see if the VCross uses those are not - if so I imagine I will probably need to get some extra ones as I wouldn't be surprised if a few broke while trying to get them release.

Blazer
05/26/2017, 10:44 PM
Welcome to the forum,

Thanks for that tip, I will definitely investigate the tracks and regulator mount to see if that's the case. I don't have one of those "special tools" that most people use to pop the plastic clips that commonly hold door panels on - I haven't even investigated to see if the VCross uses those are not - if so I imagine I will probably need to get some extra ones as I wouldn't be surprised if a few broke while trying to get them release.

Blazer
05/26/2017, 10:53 PM
Hi Charles- I live about 90 miles North of Phoenix, but get to the valley often. I had a VX for 5 yrs, but now have a Trooper. Hope to meet you one day. :thumbup:

The window issue can also be that the clips that hold the glass to the raising mechanism have broken, or it can be a combination of the issues everyone mentioned above. There's a guy in Apache Junction that makes and sells some metal brackets custom fit for the VX to replace the broken or weak plastic clips. Here's a link to his site selling them. His name is Tim. I had him personally install my brackets since I lived close enough. I had them installed before my clips broke. I think probably more than half of all VXers now have these "SBC" brackets installed.

Thanks for that info! Can you share how much the installation charge was? I may just get that done. I used to love to do my own work, but it seems the older I get the less tolerance I have for getting overheated and frustrated, LOL. It doesn't help that my collection of tools is minimal, so I am often using the wrong tool for the job, which just adds to the misery :)

mooncounter
05/28/2017, 04:55 PM
Steve, here, purchased a 98 proton 3 months ago with 100,000 km which previous owner had painted matte black on outside body only. It still has the proton yellow inside hood and doors. It now has 120,000km after a couple of trips to Yukon and multiple runs out to my gold claims. Awesome vehicle for prospecting.

Blazer
05/29/2017, 03:31 PM

I reached out to Tim, and sadly he says he no longer does the installs as his time and shop space is now dedicated to his full-time business. He does still sell them though - I guess I will have to print out his installation instructions and bring them around to various other shops and see if they would be willing to do it. I'd give it a try myself but my tools and workspace are very limited for the time being.

ipd
06/11/2017, 09:27 AM
What's up with the "maintenance" messages I keep seeing?

JoFotoz
06/11/2017, 03:59 PM
Scott/Moncha has been working on the glitches/format re shuffle etc etc.

I was getting the same "notice" , But it seems better now :)

Jo

roxsanne1
06/17/2017, 02:42 PM
Hi everyone
I haven't been on in a while, since 2010 to be exact.
It's with sadness I am back on the site to see about selling my 1999 vehicross. It just sits in my driveway not being driven and feel its such a shame to do that to him.
He is silver and I'm the original owner. He has 96,104miles. The asking price is 5k. I am located in san Antonio, tx

CatFish
06/17/2017, 06:17 PM
Have you posted in the Facebook site? You might want to post there and make an add here on the forum with the checklist for buyers and sellers included.

Forum for sale section: http://www.vehicross.info/forumdisplay.php/34-Vehicles-For-Sale
Check list thread: http://www.vehicross.info/showthread.php/19855-COMPREHENSIVE-VX-QUESTIONNAIRE-CHECKLIST-FOR-BUYERS-OR-SELLERS
Facebook Vehicross: https://www.facebook.com/groups/32929439606/
Facebook Isuzu Trader: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421877591402618/

Good luck I hope this info helps.

verdelaw
09/19/2017, 11:26 PM
Hey there,

Going to look at a VX tomorrow.. and almost definitely gonna buy it as long as there's nothing majorly wrong with it. I want/need a winter vehicle and this is a cheaper and cooler alternative to most of the junk on craigslist. Let me know what you think, and if you've got any last minute buying/inspecting tips, I'm all ears. I did already look at the buy/sell checklist. Thanks!

CatFish
09/19/2017, 11:30 PM
Good luck, I hope it is a good one and you get it, keep us posted

verdelaw
09/20/2017, 12:04 AM
Forgot to post the link *facepalm*

Not sure how you can tell me what you think without that...
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=457753699&hideBackLink=true&Log=0

Thelgord
09/20/2017, 12:08 AM
It has all of the original manuals! Take it! LOL!

Looks good.

ipd
09/20/2017, 04:32 AM
Looks good. As far as "cooler" absolutely. As far as "Cheaper"--well if it's 100% then possibly. When it's not 100%--hardly. Definitely helps if you do your own Mx on it.

Check the standard stuff (lists can be found on here). Windows not binding. Crash bumpers not rusting. Frame/chassis rust. Burning oil. etc.

Maddawg
09/20/2017, 02:45 PM
Forgot to post the link *facepalm*

Not sure how you can tell me what you think without that...
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=457753699&hideBackLink=true&Log=0

White ones are Ironman Edition. This one has either been repainted or all the Ironman badges removed. Price is reasonable considering the mileage. Good luck.

MSHardeman
09/20/2017, 03:47 PM
Most insurance companies list the VX as an Ironman (don't know why). My 2000 Ebony, which has been an ebony since it rolled off the assembly line, is listed as an Ironman on my insurance.

ipd
09/20/2017, 03:52 PM
Since there's nothing on the hood insert, I'm leaning towards painted.

sm0ke3T1947
12/09/2017, 08:05 PM
Hello Everyone

Longtime VX fan & forum lurker. On 5-1-17 I purchased a 2001 Kaiser Silver VX in real rough shape. I got the vehicle for $500 due to Engine failure and a bad Transmission. New Diesel transplant :) & big plans are already underway. I look forward to learning and being a part of such a unique collective of vehicles and individuals.

ipd
12/10/2017, 03:08 AM
That would be the first time anyone's done a diesel conversion on a VX and kept it AWD. I'd be interested to see it.

Thelgord
12/10/2017, 05:38 PM
Hello Everyone

Longtime VX fan & forum lurker. On 5-1-17 I purchased a 2001 Kaiser Silver VX in real rough shape. I got the vehicle for $500 due to Engine failure and a bad Transmission. New Diesel transplant :) & big plans are already underway. I look forward to learning and being a part of such a unique collective of vehicles and individuals.

Congrats on your purchase! I have the same idea about going diesel and keeping the TOD. Good luck and please post the process for others to follow.

outofrshell
12/13/2017, 06:08 PM
Have been drooling for a VX since one showed up for a short time in Greybull Wy. 10 years ago. Then I got involved in Isuzus and ended up in Moab where I found that the VXs were the predominate force behind the Zu Zu Moab gathering. Fast forward I met Kevin & Christine and they totally corrupted me, now not only was I drooling but lusting for one but $$$$ kept getting in the way along with my addiction to candy for my 1989 Trooper. Finally an affordable one come on CL in Billings Mt. first for $2500 then $2000 but owner said bring a trailer it doesn't run. Tried to get him to allude to what was wrong with it, he said it cranks over but no start so I made the plunge and bought it sight unseen. Two day after getting it home I put a good battery in it just hear the engine turn over scared the h@# out of me because it started right up. Wife & I took for a drive and every thing works, trans shifts, engine is strong and the VX is very complete only thing missing is the carpet??? It is a 2001 black/with red&black interior - paint & body is very straight. Little TLC & TLM and it will be ready for our Sunday town car.Dave

daniel
01/31/2018, 05:15 AM
Hello all! Been a LONG time since cruised on here...

2nd time VX owner here... First one in CA black, sold it to a Russian guy in 2007 who put it on a barge back home!... regretted it... found another outside Philly in 2012. Great shape 2001 Ebony, had 23K original, now almost 45K. Been in storage for better part of last 2 years while working out of country... first day back got it out of storage to take for a spin and got rear-ended here in chicago.... ARGGHHHH!!!! Insurance company sent me to their autobody shop that said sorry - go find your own parts, but they are willing to reimburse. So I need some help! looking for new (near-new) rear cladding and bumper.

And while at it, need a new gas tank door, and would like a second hood insert and grill to consider mods. all original now but thinking about removing IZUZU logos, move "vehicross" logo to grill, new rims, max out tire size without lift, low profile hood scoop, bull bar in front.

thank for this website & forum!
Dan

VX KAT
01/31/2018, 11:41 AM
Welcome back! I remermber somebody sold their VX to a Russian...but don't recognize your forum name now...did you sign up with new name?
There's a hood insert and rear cladding on ebay right now. Not the best prices perhaps, but VX parts prices have gone up.

Thelgord
01/31/2018, 06:06 PM
Welcome back! Sorry to hear about your accident. I have enough problems with my own VX build, but so far no major body work.

ipd
02/01/2018, 06:20 PM
No rear bumper? sounds like it's time to upgrade to a rock bumper!

Thelgord
02/01/2018, 07:05 PM
No rear bumper? sounds like it's time to upgrade to a rock bumper!

Yes!

DanMan
02/09/2018, 10:29 PM
Just signed up, DanMan here I have recently bought a 2000 IRONMAN (for my Wife): but I think it suites me and my lifestyle!! It has become my daily driver and I Love it. Suppose I should be referring to" It" as "HER". She will treat me better if I care for Her and not break down.She has 4 new A/T Pirelli Scorpions to roll on and in a few days from now she will Have 4new Rancho 9000's and soon new rotors/pads on orders I'm doing my part keeping her fluids clean .I look forward to reading and trying to give answers !! DanMan

CatFish
02/09/2018, 11:00 PM
Welcome to the VX madness and don't throw out the old OEM factory shocks if your VX still has them, they are rebuildable and can be re-valved too. Even if they are worn out they are still worth cash.

DanMan
02/09/2018, 11:12 PM
yeah thanks that was my plan as I know the parts for these amazing vehicles are sometimes priceeeey and hard to come by.Ill be picking y'all for parts info when I need something I can't find on my own.

Thelgord
02/10/2018, 07:12 AM
There is a lot of knowledgeable people on here. Feel free to ask!

Miykeey
02/22/2018, 11:47 PM
Hello all,
My name is Mike and I just purchased a 1999 Vehicross. I have been reading your website for the past week and have seen alot of great information which I will be using to build my offroader.
So thank you all for this great resource.

CatFish
02/23/2018, 01:58 AM
Welcome Mike, I am glad you have found the site useful and I hope you can contribute and share your journey with us

Thelgord
02/23/2018, 02:06 AM
Welcome to the site!

Specter
03/04/2018, 05:34 PM
Hello. I have a 99 model in Astral Silver. I've had it for almost half a year, slowly restoring it bit-by-bit, and with a few mods in mind. Glad I found this website and happy to join the forum.

Thelgord
03/04/2018, 06:16 PM
Welcome to the forum! There is a ton of information here. Feel free to ask around!

CatFish
03/04/2018, 09:53 PM
Welcome, there are some VXers in San Diego that can show you the ropes and take you wheeling if you are interested. Jo Birch might live near you.

DanMan
03/17/2018, 08:11 PM
does anyone know where and how to find 1] IRONMAN white lettering for black hood insert 2]siderail roof rack clamping points or entire rack complete as mine are split in half where the cross bars attach.

Thelgord
03/17/2018, 09:18 PM
Sorry I don’t. You will probably need to get the clamp points from a salvage yard VX.

JoFotoz
03/18/2018, 12:17 PM
Hi DanMan
I am in the process of getting them printed and die cut right now for about 8-9 people
over on the Facebook Vehicross forum.

I am getting extras, so when they are done I'll put up a post here on VX.info .
They will run about $50 ish including shipping...and are made from "Racing Yacht Graphics" vinyl
which is super durable/UV stable etc.. my friend does the graphics for round the world racing yachts etc :)

Likely in the next month or so...
Cheers
Jo

does anyone know where and how to find 1] IRONMAN white lettering for black hood insert 2]siderail roof rack clamping points or entire rack complete as mine are split in half where the cross bars attach.

11justsomekid
03/19/2018, 04:24 PM
Greetings, everyone from beautiful South Carolina! I've just bought my first car, a '99 ebony black VX. I only gave it a quick drive (no plates or insurance), but I could already tell it would be a great car for me to drive. It was $4800 and has got about 113,000 on the odometer, and everything seems fine on it. There are only a few issues: the windows are falling forward when they roll up, and the ABS light is on. Luckily, both of the issues appear to be common, but could someone lead me to the best repair thread? Still getting used to this site! I'm glad to be part of this great car's community!

PS- How do I decipher my VX's VIN? Like how do I find out when in the line mine was made?

Thelgord
03/19/2018, 05:02 PM
Vin: Last four digits is (mostly) associated with the production number. My ‘99 Ebony is 0209. Unfortunately the VX was very limited on options, the vin doesn’t really reflect any options at all. At least not that I can find.

For the window fix, try this thread: http://www.vehicross.info/showthread.php/27343-NEW-VX-window-fix

Thelgord
03/19/2018, 05:25 PM
Oh! And Congrats! I am sure you will love it! You will also hate it, be frustrated with it, spend countless hours with it... but you will always remember your first.

If you need anything, feel free to ask. I am located in Augusta, GA and there are other members in the SC & GA as well.

ipd
03/19/2018, 10:01 PM
I recommend getting the brackets to fix the window. In the meantime, so you don't damage anything internal, just pull back on the windows manually while you put them up...that will keep them in the track so you don't break anything.

11justsomekid
03/20/2018, 09:38 AM
Vin: Last four digits is (mostly) associated with the production number. My ‘99 Ebony is 0209. Unfortunately the VX was very limited on options, the vin doesn’t really reflect any options at all. At least not that I can find.

For the window fix, try this thread: http://www.vehicross.info/showthread.php/27343-NEW-VX-window-fix

I recommend getting the brackets to fix the window. In the meantime, so you don't damage anything internal, just pull back on the windows manually while you put them up...that will keep them in the track so you don't break anything.

Thanks for the advice with the windows; I'll be sure to get the brackets and a drill when I get the time. What about the ABS light? I've read some things that say it's just an annoyance, and others say it's a serious issue. What's the overall opinion?

Also, what lights should the TOD show when on the road? Just want to be sure I can get everything working properly!

11justsomekid
03/22/2018, 09:27 AM
Got the tips on the windows; will be sure to get the brackets and to re-drill the mounting holes. I also did a little research on the ABS light, and it seems I get two different opinions on it. I've heard that it's just a mild annoyance, and doesn't affect the ABS's performance. I've also heard that it means the system no longer is functioning. Which one is true?

Two more quick questions. What setting should the TOD be on when driving on the road? Just want to be sure nothing is acting up. Also, it appears someone drilled a cheap cupholder in the center console. I was able to remove it, but left some ugly holes. What would be the best way to fill those in?

I should've probably started a new thread for this.

Thelgord
03/24/2018, 08:01 PM
I also did a little research on the ABS light, and it seems I get two different opinions on it. I've heard that it's just a mild annoyance, and doesn't affect the ABS's performance. I've also heard that it means the system no longer is functioning. Which one is true?

It is possible for either condition to be true. The light just indicates something was detected by the computer. It could be just an intermittent error code, or the system could be completely gone. Get a good OBD2 reader that can read ABS codes.

What setting should the TOD be on when driving on the road? Just want to be sure nothing is acting up.

Normally, after you get to around 15-20 mph the first light on the TOD display will come on. When you start from a dead stop it is not uncommon for the TOD to come full on for a second or two before going back to 1 or no lights. Once you get a little speed it will illuminate at least teh first set of lights. If you punch it hard from a stop, like a drag race, then they should come on full, and the first two set of lights should stay on at least all the way through 1st gear.

Also, it appears someone drilled a cheap cupholder in the center console. I was able to remove it, but left some ugly holes. What would be the best way to fill those in?

Not sure. There used to be vinyl furniture repair kits back in the 1980’s to early 1990’s. Maybe something like can fill the holes and not look too terrible.

I should've probably started a new thread for this.

Proiably, but this is a low traffic site, so as far I am concerened, any traffic is a good thing. ;)

CatFish
03/24/2018, 10:08 PM
You can fill the holes in the console or just find another one they are pretty easy to get, if you don't find one here on the forum you can just the Facebook group and see if anyone has a used console for $20 to $50 I would not pay much more that that for one. https://www.facebook.com/groups/32929439606/

petapaulmary
05/13/2018, 01:09 AM
Only posted one post thought I would share couple photos. I live in Western Australia not seen one Vehicross ever only mine. Would love to know if any other Aussies have one.
Can’t fiqure out how to post photos of my vx

ipd
05/13/2018, 04:46 AM
It's easier to host them on a different site and hotlink the address.

Thelgord
05/13/2018, 06:17 AM
Only posted one post thought I would share couple photos. I live in Western Australia not seen one Vehicross ever only mine. Would love to know if any other Aussies have one.
Can’t fiqure out how to post photos of my vx

Here is a post I did for using Dropbox as an image host.
http://www.vehicross.info/showthread.php/27760-Using-DropBox-for-forum-images

petapaulmary
05/13/2018, 07:04 AM
Cheers looks bloody complicated though.

Everybody likes the vx though they think it strange... in a good way

petapaulmary
05/13/2018, 07:39 AM
Some photos

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zMCHcPbbxpizsNAc8

Thelgord
05/13/2018, 08:59 AM
First of all, amazing VX! I love it!

I do have a couple of questions though.

1) What bumper is that? I have been looking for one but haven’t found one that will fit (maybe I have and just haven’t realized it yet). It looks an ARB maybe? Looks amazing!

2) What is that piece near the door handle?

Again, awesome rig!

petapaulmary
05/13/2018, 05:59 PM
The bullbar was a off stock Holden Rodeo, but we had to cut the ends and bend it out to fit the curve of the vx and had to cut and put a bend in the top pipe portion over the headlights so as not to partially shield the light it gives out. All the underside fits exactly. It was a shame having to trim the stock bumper though.
The little thing by the door handle was already on there it just a door bump stop.

PK
05/13/2018, 08:13 PM
Hi Peta, Paul, and Mary. Which one are you??

I am in Tasmania, and also have an Austal (colour) VX, 1997 model. There used to be 2 other Aussies on the forum, but I haven't seen them on here for ages.

You are a bit far away to suggest a meet up, but if you are having any problems yell out and I will help if I can. I use mine as a daily driver, but about to pull it off the road for a big birthday. She turns 21 in August, and desperately needs the inlet manifold decoke and new gaskets, exhaust repair, and new wheel bearings.
Then she will be good for another 150,000.

Peter
PK

petapaulmary
05/14/2018, 04:28 PM
Hi my name is Paul the boss is Peta with Mary as her middle name just like the music group.
Never been to Tasi it on my list as I am originally from Wales.
Appreciate the help if required. It’s a pretty cool car, so there are at least 2 now in Australia.

PK
05/15/2018, 07:27 PM
Hi Paul,
I was once told by another Aussie owner, that he had researched the VX imports and believed that around 25 had been imported into Australia.
I know at least 4 have been raced at different times in the Australian rally series, and 2 road going vehicles have been written off, so I would guess that there are 15 - 19 still around.
But I have never seen another one on the road. Saw a couple in New Zealand a couple of years ago.

PK

ipd
05/16/2018, 12:01 AM
Shame to have to notch the rear bumper to make the hitch fit.

I like the front bumper. There's really no way around trimming the stock bumper to fit something like that though--the headlights & grille are just too "unique" to fit a bumper around them and make it look good.

My dream bumper would be something that mounts up pretty much bolt-on like that, but with a front curve that very nearly matches the stock bumper curve. Brushguards that fit the headlights. And a front opening that provides increased airflow. Even better if a hex-grille can be used.

What happened to the backup camera?

TheBigRig
05/16/2018, 02:34 PM
Hello everyone,

I just purchased my 2001 Vehicross in black with grey interior with 145,000 miles and as of today its on a truck heading to Reno, Nevada to be delivered next week. I'm glad I found this forum because there doesn't seem to be a lot of info on these unique little cars among the google searches.

Quick story: Being a car guy I love to modify everything. Recently my 1999 Ford F350 7.3L heavily modified diesel truck has broken to a point of being undriveable. So I needed a little car to buzz around in, but something I wouldnt be compelled to modify. Well the vehicross fits the bill so I had to buy one. Now the F350 can go under the knife and get the TLC it so deseperately needs at 260,000 miles pushing 400HP and 1000 ft/lbs of torque.

Glad to be a part of the Vehicross club.

-Darren

Mile High VX
05/17/2018, 12:20 PM
Welcome Darren...it's great to have new enthusiast join the group. If you're a Facebook person there is a good group on there as well.

petapaulmary
05/17/2018, 09:05 PM
The back up camera is installed where the ole get me home spare tyre was. That area now contains spare fire extinguishers, air compressor, tool kit and medical kit. I am going to have to put my new spare tyre somewhere else as it won’t fit due to the upgrade in size.
I replaced the Japanese radio with an after market one with gps, reverse camera etc.
With regards to the tow bar a mate and I knocked it up it a tad over engineered :)
The bull bar looks nice I reckon

petapaulmary
05/17/2018, 09:06 PM
What the Facebook group called
Cheers

Thelgord
05/18/2018, 02:45 PM
What the Facebook group called
Cheers

https://www.facebook.com/groups/32929439606/

TheBigRig
05/20/2018, 03:15 PM
I replaced the Japanese radio with an after market one with gps, reverse camera etc.

The radio you installed, is it a single din flip open one, or single din with a little screen on the front. OR did you modify it for a double din large screen. Looking into a new radio but cant decide which.

Mile High VX
05/20/2018, 05:27 PM
Looks like he is in Australia. He likely has a JDM (Japanese Domestic Model) VX so factory he has a double din and right side drive.

TheBigRig
05/21/2018, 12:47 PM
Looks like he is in Australia. He likely has a JDM (Japanese Domestic Model) VX so factory he has a double din and right side drive.

Good call.

My little black vehicross arrived last night! Im excited and loving it. So I bought this car sight unseen from the East Coast, so I knew what I was getting into. When I picked the car up from the carrier and drove it away I immediately thought it was severely broken. Car would lurch violent in gear, felt reluctant to turn, and had a top speed of 30 mph. So I immediately pulled into the next parking lot and thought "You know, this actually feels alot like driving my F350 in 4 Lo." Sure enough I suppose the carrier locked it into 4Lo to get it on the truck. Popped it back into 4 Hi and she runs great. Now come the rattles. Driving it around a bit I could hear things rattling and pinging. So I pull out the phone flash light a take a look under the car. OH BOY its an east coast car most definitely. One of the rattles was the tail pipe from muffler, over the axle, and out the back. Completely rusted through and dangling. Pulled that out. Another rattle was the tube bumper, also rusted through and dangling. So the poor old girl is very rusty underneither. I gonna try and look around if I can get it up on a lift and be able to wire wheel or media blast it and spray it out with bed liner. I gotta hand it to the dealer I bought it from for his ability to be so thorough with his pictures and videos and yet still be able to keep this serious rust hidden from me. I have yet to do a real thorough inspection under the car but the worst part so far is the pinch weld right in front of the rear wheel. Its practically missing. But I am loving the little car. What a difference it is going from my 4 door long bed lifted f350 to this little one.

Question if anyone here knows: Is the black door handle with the switches on it drivers side replaceable, or do I have to replace the entire door panel?

Thelgord
05/21/2018, 04:08 PM
You can get the door handles separate. There is even a kind of how-to on a blog somewhere on how to restore them, even if chipped or cracked. Can’t remeber the site off the top of my head. Isuzu parts center can get them. Sometimes you can find deals on salvaged ones, but they generally aren’t better. Pro tip for Isuzu parts center. Find the part you are looking for, then open a new tab. One tab will be the site with the www in the url, one without. Different prices from the same site. No idea why.

Oh, and welcome to the addiction ;)

ipd
05/21/2018, 05:58 PM
I didn't replace mine. I wrapped lizard skins around the grip of the door to keep the switch panel attached. Cheaper..and without the worry that someone will try to incorrectly open the door and break a new panel.

TheBigRig
05/22/2018, 12:09 PM
Here's another question for y'all. Either the switch is incredibly elusive or theyre burnt out, but how do I turn the fog lights on?!

Also during normal driving should the car be displaying 1 bar in FWD. Seems to be doing this all the time unless Im stopped. Could be related to the rear brake dragging maybe? I think the E-Brake has been stuck on since the car came off the carrier Sunday night.

MSHardeman
05/22/2018, 01:30 PM
If you have the stock lights in the round lights below the headlights then they are actually running lights and should come on with the first twist of the light stalk. If the "horn" lights (the lights at the top of the headlights), the oblong orange lights in the front bumper, and the triangular shaped lights on the front fenders (among other lights) are on then the little round lights below the headlights should be on too.

It sounds like your TOD (Torque On Demand) is working correctly. Below 5mph all power should be going to the rear wheels. Once you get above 5mph then the VX transfers some power to the front wheels, as indicated by the first bar on the TOD display lighting up. There is some debate about whether there is power truly going to the front wheels or whether the transfer case is just ready to send power forward. If your rear wheels slip then the transfer case will blip full power to the front wheels to help stabilize the VX. The power is only transferred for short periods of time and will go back down to one bar on the display as soon as the rear wheels stop slipping. If you put the transfer case into 4lo then all of the lights on the front wheels should light up and stay lit as long as you are in 4lo.

Bonus: Have you discovered the thigh supports on the front seats? Grab the front of the seat right under your thighs and pull towards the front of the VX. The pad should slide forward to help support your legs. If the pad is already extended then just push it towards the back of the VX shorten the support under your thighs.

Welcome to the addiction. It's a fun vehicle to own and to work on.

Keep the questions coming, but you may want to start new threads so the answers don't get buried in the introduction thread.

TheBigRig
05/22/2018, 04:19 PM
Bonus: Have you discovered the thigh supports on the front seats? Grab the front of the seat right under your thighs and pull towards the front of the VX. The pad should slide forward to help support your legs. If the pad is already extended then just push it towards the back of the VX shorten the support under your thighs.

I knew about these going into it, but obviously the dealer didn't :laughing: The entire interior was detailed and spotless, until I pulled the thigh support out and found enough crumbs in there to feed a small family of mice.

I suppose the small lights are burnt out cuz the horn lights work. I try to use the search bar as often as possible but Ill probably be starting new threads here and there.

Thanks for the help!

ipd
05/23/2018, 08:03 AM
They're fairly easy to replace. If memory serves, you reach WAAAAAY down into the front bumper (like elbow deep) and you can grab the plug, twist and remove. Bulb is a 197 iirc. Pushes right in, then you twist it back on and you're good to go.

MSHardeman
05/23/2018, 08:44 AM
If memory serves, I believe that you can twist the round lights out from the front of the bumper to replace the bulbs that way.

ipd
08/14/2018, 02:22 PM
Well the guy who works near me with who bought a VX...already sold it. He said the MPG wasn't to his liking--which is like a "no duh" moment for someone who should have known better.

No idea who bought it. Sounds like he didn't lose money on it though. I'm never giving mine up willingly. Not unless the automotive industry--collectively--decides to offer something truly magnificent. So long as the closest thing is a washed-up Jeep Wrangler wannabee...I'm content with my VX.

Jayd-S
08/14/2018, 04:03 PM
Well the guy who works near me with who bought a VX...already sold it. He said the MPG wasn't to his liking--which is like a "no duh" moment for someone who should have known better.

No idea who bought it. Sounds like he didn't lose money on it though. I'm never giving mine up willingly. Not unless the automotive industry--collectively--decides to offer something truly magnificent. So long as the closest thing is a washed-up Jeep Wrangler wannabee...I'm content with my VX.

Hi ipd,
I have the same sentiment, but I might give up ONE of my three VXs if someone offered me one of these Warthogs plus a little cash! http://i.imgur.com/lwnd19g.jpg
How was Moab this year?

Geoff aka Jayd-S

ipd
08/14/2018, 04:31 PM
No way. Warthogs can go pound sand. Give me a UT2k4 Scorpion. Halo is for the wannabees who can't use a mouse/keyboard and never learned to type enough WPM to avoid typekills--so they use mics instead. :p

https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournament/forums/filedata/fetch?id=363483

I still haven't gone to Moab. I was about 4000 miles away when it happened.

Thelgord
08/14/2018, 06:51 PM
My VX frustrates the hell out of me. I’m still keeping it. Of course ... there is a promise of a new broco from Ford ... ;)

ipd
08/15/2018, 02:54 AM
It will be RWD and probably hugely oversized. I was doing comparisons with the smallest SUV's on the market, and the VX still has a shorter wheelbase than even the tiniest of those. Even a 2-door JL Wrangler (the newest one) has a wheelbase 5" longer.

Thelgord
08/18/2018, 12:26 PM
Had no idea. Thanks for the info!

Mile High VX
08/19/2018, 04:24 PM
VX wheelbase is smaller than the two-door Mini Cooper.

ipd
08/19/2018, 04:47 PM
Yeah, there's not much out there that's as small. Sad really. If ford is going to make its entire lineup SUV's--as they are already talking about--it shouldn't be that difficult to fix. Imagine it:

Ecosport reworked for into a more fastback, 2-door coupe, lifted about 3-5" from the standard ecosport, and a suspension stolen from the Raptor parts bin. Add in a 2.0L I-4 ecoboost engine, and you have an off-roader's wet dream.

Thelgord
08/19/2018, 07:05 PM
I learn something everyday :)

Mile High VX
09/06/2018, 07:55 PM
Not new but do have a new VX. 2001 Proton. Love it!

ipd
09/06/2018, 11:06 PM
Grats!

CatFish
09/07/2018, 06:34 PM
I am so glad to see you have another VX

Thelgord
09/09/2018, 08:58 AM

Congrats! Always glad to see a VX get a good home :)

Raoul
10/19/2018, 05:29 PM
Hello, I my name is RaoulI am just willing to purchase one any advise ?

Thank you.

ipd
10/20/2018, 06:23 AM
There's quite a few threads on here with lists of common problem areas to look for. Among them:

Windows up/down function, no binding.
TOD functions without issue.
No or minimal rust--crash bar is a clear indicator.
ABS functionality--not a huge problem, but something to look for.
Worn seats, broken/missing knobs for hatch.
Interior door handle panel broken.
Engine burns oil.

Thrilla Gorilla
10/25/2018, 04:15 PM
Hi,
I've signed up for this sight many years ago, but not sure if I've ever posted anything. I've owned my 1999 silver Vx since 2001. Recently had it repainted and I'm having difficulty finding the original exterior logos. I've only found '4wD' and 'Torque on Demand' through isuzu parts. All other emblems / logos seem to be discontinued.
Any suggestions on finding emblems such as the 'VehiCross' on each side of the vehicle or the original 'ISUZU' emblem on the back? The '3.5L' is a generic emblem that I can probable find. I'm not sure if this is correct place to ask questions.

Thanks
Thrilla Gorilla

Mile High VX
10/25/2018, 07:34 PM
They are all discontinued. If you join the VehiCROSS Facebook group there is a member in Russia that is making them and has sold many sets. The reviews are very good.

JoFotoz
10/25/2018, 08:19 PM
Ditto Above...

The guys name is Антон Клевцов.

Cut and paste that into the search function on the Vehicross FB page..he'll hook you up :)

Cheers

Jo

simonsayz1
10/28/2018, 08:32 AM
Can I ask what you paid for the re-spray?

JoFotoz
10/28/2018, 01:51 PM
If you are asking about the Line-X re-spray..

Can I ask what you paid for the re-spray?

I got a huge deal on it.
It was the first full Line-X spray they had done here in San Diego...this is 6 years ago.
I am also a Pro Photographer..So..we did a deal.
They sprayed it for $1400 .. I did a complete set of advertising/calendar etc shots for them too.

Normal price now..$3500 and up.

Cheers
Jo

simonsayz1
10/28/2018, 03:42 PM
Thanks Jo.....question was actually intended for Thrill a Gorilla :)

JoFotoz
10/28/2018, 03:59 PM
Cool... !!

Thanks Jo.....question was actually intended for Thrill a Gorilla :)

Wasnt sure..so threw it in anyway :)

Cheers Man

Raoul
11/30/2018, 02:54 PM
Hello,
I just bought my first Vehicross, so lets see later how is it. So far I like it.

ipd
11/30/2018, 04:25 PM
Welcome to the addiction.

Thelgord
11/30/2018, 05:44 PM
Welcome! This forum has a mountain of information available. Feel free to ask questions and be sure to check out the search function. :)

Mile High VX
11/30/2018, 06:33 PM
Welcome to the VX family. Lots of friendly people here that are always willing to help. As stated above the Search function is your friend. Over a decade of great stuff here...probably not much can happen that hasn't been addressed here in some way.

SuBo99
02/18/2019, 01:34 PM
Hey I'm Subo from Salt Lake City, UT. I never even knew there was a car called an Isuzu VehiCROSS until a couple weeks ago. I had a listing online to trade my 66 VW Bug and some guy offered to trade for his 99 Isuzu Ironman Edition. After some googling and research I decided, why not?! I'm SO GLAD I made that trade. The VX is in really great shape for being 20 years old. Check Engine light was on but it ended up only needing some gaskets replaced. Tranny is good and most everything else is in ok shape. She has 152k miles on her, so that's not super great. Overall I'm stoked to be a part of this community and to have one of these interesting and rare cars.

VX KAT
02/18/2019, 01:50 PM
What a great story! Glad it worked out! Very important tip...you MUST check oil very frequently....this engine is well known to consume oil, inconsistently, and sometimes in pretty large quantities. Check it every fill up for a while until you get familiar with it, and if it uses any. Sometimes it only happens on longer highway driving (like 4 hrs), that's what mine did. Always carry at least a few qts of oil in the truck! We have a Vehicross Facebook Group also. But the really good voluminous reference info is stored here. https://www.facebook.com/groups/32929439606/

ipd
02/18/2019, 02:28 PM
Welcome to the addiction. I just flipped my odometer over 100k this week, and it felt like the end of an era. 152k isn't bad at all for 20 years though. Heck, anything under 200k for a 20 year old car is not bad.

Now if we could get the FB crowd to post up here more often... :)

SuBo99
02/18/2019, 03:11 PM
Yeah i'm not on FB so I miss out on the content there. I wish I was around in the VX crowd about 8-10 years ago when it seems people were very active on this site. It appears that this forum is relatively quiet these days. It's all good though.. I get to benefit from everyone's previous posts and words of wisdom :)

ipd
02/18/2019, 05:06 PM
Shame. I moved from Clinton UT back in 2017. Never got to meet any VX owners locally or do the Moab pilgrimage. Only got to drive through Moab on the way moving cross-country.

Thelgord
02/18/2019, 05:53 PM
Welcome to the site! This forum was active(ish) over the last year. It goes in waves it seems. Most of the active people here have a lot of insight to give if you have any questions. There is a massive amount of information stored away on this forum, the search feature will help you a lot.

Having said that, it is important to keep a few things in mind. These were only I made for a few years, and in limited numbers. Isuzu’s market in North America is the NPR box/commercial truck. Every month there is a story on FB of one being totaled, parted out, wrecked, or otherwise no longer drivable. Availability of part will continue to get harder. There is nearly no after market support (some exists such as weather tech rain gaurd for the door windows). You will learn very quickly which parts are interchangeable from other vehicles (honda passport for transmission and brakes, Other Isuzu models, some GM models). The FB group tried to do a poll to see how many were still running. It never reached 300. I would say it is safe bet that between 400-600 are still left on the road in running condition.

Now, having said all of that, this is an amazing time to be a VX owner! This is an amazing vehicle with a great history of perseverance and overcoming hardships. The dwindling numbers only serve to make it more exclusive to own one. Even at 20 years old, it looks like it could have rolled off a production floor yesterday. It is old enough that you won’t feel terrible about modifying it to make it yours. It can still keep up with any Jeep or Toyota made, even the newest ones, on or off-road.

I absolutely love my VX (99 Ebony that is getting ready to hit 180k), and I will be keeping running for a very long time. Welcome to addiction. It’s more than just a saying with the Vehicross ;)

Camoman
02/25/2019, 01:54 PM
Proud owners of a 1999 silver 154k mi VX and love it! I was a builder/restorer for years but physics have caugjt up with me. Years + weight + old injuries + grandkids just added up. My VX has a few minor needs but I can't stop enjoying it. Thanks for a great place to share and gain!

Thelgord
02/25/2019, 06:50 PM
Welcome!

MajkMac
05/01/2019, 04:35 PM
I have been a fan of the VX since the first time I saw one in '99. Finally got a chance to get ME a ride with only 2 doors. Could not be happier. Reality is that I have a 20 year old car with 168k and rolling on the odometer (daily driver). Dash lights don't work, tranny slipping, seats worn, oem stereo replaced with pos, headlights dull, spare tire cover fasteners stripped out...welcome home baby!

First things, first. I need to get the tranny issue sorted (only seems to be slipping at take-off, can manage with gentler throttle) - from there will be tackling electrical issues in dash (hopefully just fuses/bulbs)

Hello, and thanks in advance. I will be posting pics asap.

Mile High VX
05/01/2019, 04:41 PM
Welcome to the addition. If you do Facebook be sure to join the group there as well.

ipd
05/01/2019, 05:16 PM
Can't speak to the trans issues. Dash lights I've done. I swapped the instrument cluster to LED and it's not nearly as difficult as you might think. Worn seats is a non-issue. Get some Wet Okoles and don't look back. You'd be hard pressed to even tell the set I have aren't stock--because I got them to put the Vehicross logo on them! lol

Dull headlights? Get some smoked lens covers & upgrade to LED headlights so the additional brightness can compensate for the additional diffuse layer. Spare tire knobs? You there's a guy on here who makes custom ones. Just this past year, I got him to make me a set of purple ones. They look AMAZEBALLS with my purple-accent-themed interior.

seamus
05/10/2019, 06:15 PM
Sup guys I guess I'll just explain my situation with my VX. So I got my license almost a year ago and have been driving my Grandma's car since then. However recently my uncle offered his Black 1999 VX that had been sitting in his driveway for over five years to my dad for free! Not gonna lie I thought the car was pretty weird at first but over time I liked it more and more. We took my uncle's offer and now we've started working on it. I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction as to mods and the dos and don'ts.

ipd
05/11/2019, 04:16 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't mod it. Not unless you've already got hands-on experience working on other off-road vehicles. I've generally found that modding something makes it more user-dependent to be reliable. That's why all I've done with mine is pretty much cosmetic. Wheels, tint, etc. Just enjoy it for what it is. I wouldn't mess with the powertrain unless you know what you're doing. I've been much happier with my stock-powertrain VX than I ever was with my last car which I'd been attempting to heavily modify.

As for the rest, there's a few things like window mods that can be helpful to correct for OEM engineering defects.

Welcome to the forum, and please feel free to ask questions. There's a bit more who hang out on FB, but the knowledge is still mostly over here.

p.s.
From 1 black 99 owner to another, hi-five!

Mile High VX
05/11/2019, 06:33 AM
I agree with ipd...there is little to no aftermarket support for mods if you're going to off-road it hard. You'll have to make or have made everything for that. Other cosmetic stuff is pretty standard and available. Just depends on what your idea of mods are that you're looking for.

The FB group is more active but using the search function here will give you all the information and knowledge you'l likely ever need.

JoFotoz
05/13/2019, 04:48 PM
Congrats on the Vx acquisition :)

Depends I guess what you mean by "mods"

There are a few basic mods that are pretty easy to do..given a smidge of mechanical prowess :)
Lifting/bigger tires is a favorite...
Either bigger tires with no lift and VERY minor front cladding trim......
....or even bigger tires with a basic 1.5 inch lift and a bit more trimming , are both very popular..
....and easily achieved "in the driveway" on a Sat afternoon.
Any higher and diff drops and CV issues start to rear their ugly head.

Best to start a thread here ...or over at the FB VX page for faster response, plenty of LONG time knowledge over there too.....
....and let us know what you are thinking reletive to "mods"

As Earl said..use search here and at FB page...maybe start here by looking at a great Lifting thread ..
... put "913 experiment" into search.

Cheers
Jo

DOUGLAS
06/09/2019, 07:06 AM
Hi everyone! My name is Kev and I picked up my Ironman edition Vehicross almost 7 years ago when I was 15 with 99,000 miles. It didn't run but my father and I took it on as a fun rebuild project. Now 40,000 later I can say, I have been on so many insane adventures in my VX and am forever grateful to have it as my first car. His name is Douglas.

Vehi MK 11
06/18/2019, 10:30 AM
Hi everyone. Excited to finally own my very first VX. I've been looking for one on and off again for the last 6 years, and finally found one that was in my price range and condition I was looking for. The car ran great when I picked it up apart from a fairly heavy fuel smell coming from the engine bay (could not see any obvious leaks anywhere). Before bringing it into a shop I decided to replace the FPR, EGR gasket, and Injectors in that order (one at a time). The car ran fine after replacing the first two, but after replacing the injectors the car would stall after turning it on and letting it reach idle (it has no problems starting). I also noticed that the injector for cylinder 6 looked like it was flooding from the bottom of the injector, (where the injector meets the head). I replaced that injector but it would still flood once the car got to idle after startup. Also the fuel smell was still present. Out of options I towed the car to AAA to see if they could resolve the both the fuel smell and the stalling at idle issue. After a couple of days it looks like they found the source of the fuel smell, it was the fuel line running from the FPR that had a leak. They ended up replacing both the fuel line and the intake manifold gasket. However the stalling issue still persists. They then told me it was most likely either a bad fuel filter or fuel pump. I thought this was strange as the car ran fine before I started fiddling with the injectors, however as the car still could not run I told them to proceed with the fuel filter and fuel pump replacement. After trying 4 different fuel pumps, they called back to tell me that the VX needs 48-55 fuel pressure and that non of the 4 fuel pump they tried could produce anything above a 40 PSI. So they told me that the reason the car is starting but stalling is that its not getting enough fuel pressure.

Sorry for the long explanation but I tried to be as thorough as I could without writing a book haha. If any of the members here could lead me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated because I am out of ideas, as AAA told me that they can't continue working on the car until I bring them a fuel pump that pushes out at 48-55 PSI.

AZMusclecar
06/19/2019, 03:35 AM
Hello,

AZMusclecar coming to you from the northern mountains of Arizona in the US. I just picked up a 1999 Ironman
yesterday from the 2nd owner in San Diego and truly enjoyed my 450 mile drive home.

I purchased a 2007 Honda Element last year and my wife liked it so she took that car and thus I needed one for myself.
This VX fits me my personality and my garage needs. And this past winter we had a 30+ inch snowfall here and I
didn't have any vehicle I felt capable of getting me around in case of an emergency. Well that void is filled as well.

I am looking forward to some trail driving in the mountains here and with this being my first serious 4X4, I can at least
know I am in one of the best off-road vehicles out here.

Looking forward to a fast and complete education of the VX. I like to do my own maintenance and upkeep so I'll be
looking for all sorts of tips on keeping my VX as fresh and reliable as possible.

ipd
06/19/2019, 01:13 PM
Welcome. I too made the pilgrimage from San Diego to Phoenix, so I'm aware of the hot desolation of I-10 mid-summer. Welcome!

Mile High VX
06/19/2019, 07:21 PM
I made the journey from Irving, CA to Austin, TX in August of last year with my Proton...2nd VX for me at that time. Welcome to the maddness...be sure to join the Facebook group as well since both offer great help but the FB group is much more active.

AZMusclecar
06/21/2019, 06:09 AM
Welcome. I too made the pilgrimage from San Diego to Phoenix, so I'm aware of the hot desolation of I-10 mid-summer. Welcome!

Thank you and funny how boring the drive gets and you see ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL that open desert just begging to be stirred up in the VX.
I could feel the slight tug of the wheel and I knew the VX wanted to go play in the big sandbox but I resisted. I brought it home and I am now
going through everything from A to Z........(A-Z punn intended) to verify the safety and security of the VX. The seller kept records of repairs
in his head. So I have changed the oil, filter, flushed the P/S, today rotate the tires, clean the K&N air filter, lubricate door hinges and locks,
and I have a whole list to go through

But this work of art sure looks good in my garage.........

ipd
06/21/2019, 12:41 PM
Hopefully you didn't blow a head gasket, like i think i did. But at least it's been great since i had it replaced.

AZMusclecar
06/22/2019, 04:03 PM
Hopefully you didn't blow a head gasket, like i think i did. But at least it's been great since i had it replaced.

I didn't blow a head gasket............I had the A/C set on Arctic and was cool as the Terminator in the bar scene trying to get clothes and a bike. :)

ipd
06/22/2019, 04:15 PM
That just makes it worse. I had the windows down and the heater on at one point. A/C just helps make the engine bay hotter.

newtovx
08/28/2019, 10:28 AM
As a new owner of a 1999 VX I am very happy (wanted one for years). Prior owner did some great upgrades like a 2 inch lift and larger tires and great red tuff wheels. But one thing I have seen in photos but not on line to purchase is a Carbon Fiber Hood insert with a scoop or venting. Does anyone know of any for sale or where to even look?

Look forward to learning more about the VX from my new VX family.

Dave

VX KAT
08/28/2019, 11:30 AM
Hi- The carbon fiber hood inserts are usually a wrap, and all of the scoops or vents are custom made. None came like that. I know one owner several years ago did a real carbon fiber hood, maybe the insert also, but it was insanely expensive.

People have used various scoops from other vehicles. Recently MileHighVX (Earl) did one on his that looks fantastic. He'd be happy to share what he used etc...
Sometimes youy'll find somebody selling one, but very rarely.

Do a search on here for scoop and you should find a bunch of hits. Look through all them, there's a wealth of knowledge on this site. Whatever question you can think of....somebody else has already asked it and it's answered somewhere here.

ipd
08/28/2019, 07:27 PM
What Kat said. But I'll add that imho, there's other cosmetic things you can do that will improve the look easier/faster/better. Smoked light covers is the one I love the most. Tint and window visors a close 2nd. Smoking the other lenses is a close 3rd. Has a completely different look than stock this way.

http://i.imgur.com/pDXrCS1.jpg

CatFish
08/29/2019, 07:39 AM
Rudy Servande makes Skid ABS decorative skid plates for the front, back and rockers, he is also planning on making a hood insert with scoop in the near future. I am not sure what his forum name is but you can find him on the Isuzu VehiCROSS Facebook page.

WormGod
08/29/2019, 07:46 AM
There was a small manufacturer years ago called CFOne that custom made several CF full hoods, regular inserts, scooped inserts, mirror covers, and interior panels. There was a lot of trial and error to get them right as many out there were flawed. By the time they started getting them right, they seem to have gone out of biz. On occasion, you will find one of these up for grabs by an owner. Ive since sold my full hood, mirror covers, APillars, and normal insert. I still have my scooped insert, but it has not held up well here on the east coast. Like Kat said, many out there just mod their own with plenty of research and after market creativity.

LambskinMcqueen
09/01/2019, 02:08 PM
Hello, my name is Jeff. Proud owner of an 01 Ironman located here in Saratoga Springs NY. Looking forward to getting to know you guys and getting my feet wet on the trails.

I bought my ironman is KY, drove it 700miles to GA to then trailer it all the way up to NY, its not broken, just moving to the north.

ipd
09/01/2019, 02:50 PM
That's a hell of a trip, and roundabout vs. going direct to NY. Mine came from San Diego and it's now in GA, so I know a thing or two about road tripping.

Mile High VX
09/02/2019, 07:17 AM
Welcome Jeff. I bought my second VX in CA and drove it home to TX. Be sure to join the Facebook group as well as that group is more active than this one. The search function is your best friend here and there's probably not many questions that you can't find an answer to.

LambskinMcqueen
09/03/2019, 05:32 AM
Oh yes, has been very helpful thus far. Big dreams for my vx haha

CatFish
09/04/2019, 08:25 AM
Welcome to the world of VX ownership

newtovx
09/06/2019, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the info Super VXer. Much appreciated.

newtovx
09/06/2019, 07:57 AM
Thanks Catfish, much appreciated.

newtovx
09/06/2019, 08:01 AM
Thanks WormGod, much appreciated.

newtovx
09/06/2019, 08:04 AM
Thanks VX Kat, much appreciated. Dave

Mikey likes vx
11/06/2019, 01:59 PM
Hi I am mikey likes vx. I am trying to post an issue with my vx.i recently put a transmission and transfercase out of a 1998 trooper into my 1999 vx. I cant get power to the front axels. Either in tod or 4lo. No tod trouble codes, but one abs 35 code. Does anyone know for sure if I need to put the transfercase that came out of the vx back in? Or do I need to put the ecu out of the trooper in the vx? Or is my issue a mechanical one with the lock fork or sleeve in the left front half shaft?

Mikey likes vx
11/06/2019, 02:09 PM
I recently put a transmission and transfercase from a 1998 trooper in my 1999 vx. And I cant get power to the front wheels. Do I need to either put the ecu from the trooper in vx. Or do I need to put the original transfercase back in the vx. Or is it a mechanical issue with the lock form in the half shaft? Any help would be appreciated. There is no tod trouble codes and one abs code with a solid dash light #35. Thank you

namnid
11/08/2019, 07:06 AM
I was impressed with the styling when the VX was first introduced. 20 years later I showed a friend a picture of the Iron Man; she said it was the ugliest thing she'd seen in a long time, "it looks like a Walmart sneaker". I knew I had to have one---or two; I do, white and black!

CatFish
11/08/2019, 07:33 AM
Hi I am mikey likes vx. I am trying to post an issue with my vx.i recently put a transmission and transfercase out of a 1998 trooper into my 1999 vx. I cant get power to the front axels. Either in tod or 4lo. No tod trouble codes, but one abs 35 code. Does anyone know for sure if I need to put the transfercase that came out of the vx back in? Or do I need to put the ecu out of the trooper in the vx? Or is my issue a mechanical one with the lock fork or sleeve in the left front half shaft?

I do not know much about the TOD system or why you are having these issues but you might try posting this question in the trouble shooting section of the forum. http://www.vehicross.info/forumdisplay.php/8-VX-Troubleshooting

JoFotoz
11/08/2019, 02:23 PM
Hi Mikey

Try asking on the Facebook vehicross page , or "Isuzu Trader" FB page......several there have done swaps.

Cheers
Jo

I recently put a transmission and transfercase from a 1998 trooper in my 1999 vx. And I cant get power to the front wheels. Do I need to either put the ecu from the trooper in vx. Or do I need to put the original transfercase back in the vx. Or is it a mechanical issue with the lock form in the half shaft? Any help would be appreciated. There is no tod trouble codes and one abs code with a solid dash light #35. Thank you

zamafir
05/07/2020, 02:54 PM
Hi folks, I just picked up a 2000 Ironman earlier this year before the insanity. I've always wanted a VX and figured now was the time with them going for silly money on BAT (15k for a, erm, not very original example today, silly). Anywho I'm going to spend the next few months getting it dialed in and addressing the stuff the previous owner neglected to. Already fixed the Tape Deck/Radio so I can use a bluetooth tape adapter, replaced all the lights with LEDs (save the plate), replaced all the speakers as they were all shredded, All in all it's a great truck. Previously I had a Samurai and I can't believe how the VX drives compared to it, or even a brand new jeep, what a special quirky truck!

https://instagram.fsan1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t51.2885-15/e35/s1080x1080/90441742_789993988075821_7921052487506556461_n.jpg ?_nc_ht=instagram.fsan1-1.fna.fbcdn.net&_nc_cat=109&_nc_ohc=SVU5wOr2OlsAX-ahXv9&oh=2371488cded4f5369b5b173c939d3572&oe=5EDEAF0C

ipd
05/08/2020, 02:20 PM
I helped talk it up a bit. And personally, I'm ok with resale value of these going up. They're at the 20 year mark where classic status usually begins. And the platform is totally unappreciated.

ipd
05/08/2020, 02:21 PM
I especially loved the guy who insisted the VX wasn't that groundbreaking or ahead of its time. He cited the Rav4 and X5. ROFL.

BFC
05/09/2020, 08:16 AM
I especially loved the guy who insisted the VX wasn't that groundbreaking or ahead of its time. He cited the Rav4 and X5. ROFL.

Hello All (especially @ipd):

I am the "winning" bidder of the VX that sold on BaT this week. I exceeded my self-imposed bidding limit multiple times, but what the heck. You only live once. Goodness knows the money wasn't earning any interest sitting in the bank.

One of my goals when purchasing a vehicle is to get something I won't see another one of this month, and perhaps not this year. The Isuzu will be my transportation during inclement weather. In St. Louis, MO that is not too many days, but there are enough. My daily driver is a Lotus Evora 400, and there are plenty of days I'd rather not have it out on the roads. Between the Isuzu and the Lotus, I think I have achieved my goal of not having to worry about running into a bunch of them anytime soon!

35 years ago Monday, my wife and I got married. On our honeymoon, we purchased a brand new Isuzu I-Marque (obviously, I'm a romantic). It was the only new car we would purchase for quite a long time. Longed to get a Trooper back in the day, but it did not fit in the budget. So, I've always had a soft spot for the brand.

I'm looking forward to learning more about the VehiCROSS from the knowledgable members of the forum.

Thanks.

BFC

PS: Spartacus emblem now available, oh, and pedal covers too!

No Faux
05/15/2020, 11:12 AM
Ok, new old guy here. I used to follow most of the car magazines and I noticed the VX before they were at dealerships. My first thoughts were 'why?', 'it's not appealing' and 'it's very expensive!'. So I didn't think about it again until about 2 or 3 years ago when an internet story about how capable it was showed up in my inbox. Background - I'm a car nut, but 'value' conscious and I keep most of my vehicles for a long time. I bought an old Porsche in 1985 and kept it until it was stolen in '97. I've owned an F150 since I bought it new in late 2003. It was recently stolen and banged up badly. I still have it but it's no longer dependable, and quite unsitely. So, my son-in-law recently sold his $35K side by side which he had seriously modified. He is now looking for a jeep. Ok, stop booing. I recomended the VX, but couldn't remember the maker or name. It's a wierd name. I finally figured it out, sent him a message, and looked for examples of it's capabilities. There's a ton of pics and utube videos showing them in every conscievable terrain. Checked off that box. Then I started to look at some for sale. SIL is not gonna jump on the bandwagon before he sees it in action, but I can be an early adopter(20 years?). So I bought one in Utah and drove it back to New Orleans. It's a 30 hour drive but I've never been to that area and it was B E A utiful. AND I passed through MOAB. It still needs some work. I immediately removed the original shocks and put them aside to rebuild. Have some cheap KYBs in it now. I installed some Ironman MTs and new wheels. The original chrome are in bad shape. Now I'm starting to mod it for serious offroad. I have tons of questions. Best place to mount the spare tire? Roof rack? On the back with a hitch mount or modify the rear gate? How hi do I need to lift it? My tires don't rub with original (tired) rear springs and slight modifications to the front wheel well. They are 32"s. Talk more soon.....

ipd
05/15/2020, 02:43 PM
Welcome to the addiction!

I think few understood the reason for the MSRP being as high as it was. To bring things into perspective, you need to compare the standard features on a wrangler (the Rubicon didn't even come out till a few years later). When you do that, it becomes quite clear. The same year TJ's were essentially featureless and in need of a fair amount of modification to make into serious off-road toys. The VX was nearly perfect as is.

CatFish
05/17/2020, 02:37 PM
Ok, new old guy here. I used to follow most of the car magazines and I noticed the VX before they were at dealerships. My first thoughts were 'why?', 'it's not appealing' and 'it's very expensive!'. So I didn't think about it again until about 2 or 3 years ago when an internet story about how capable it was showed up in my inbox. Background - I'm a car nut, but 'value' conscious and I keep most of my vehicles for a long time. I bought an old Porsche in 1985 and kept it until it was stolen in '97. I've owned an F150 since I bought it new in late 2003. It was recently stolen and banged up badly. I still have it but it's no longer dependable, and quite unsitely. So, my son-in-law recently sold his $35K side by side which he had seriously modified. He is now looking for a jeep. Ok, stop booing. I recomended the VX, but couldn't remember the maker or name. It's a wierd name. I finally figured it out, sent him a message, and looked for examples of it's capabilities. There's a ton of pics and utube videos showing them in every conscievable terrain. Checked off that box. Then I started to look at some for sale. SIL is not gonna jump on the bandwagon before he sees it in action, but I can be an early adopter(20 years?). So I bought one in Utah and drove it back to New Orleans. It's a 30 hour drive but I've never been to that area and it was B E A utiful. AND I passed through MOAB. It still needs some work. I immediately removed the original shocks and put them aside to rebuild. Have some cheap KYBs in it now. I installed some Ironman MTs and new wheels. The original chrome are in bad shape. Now I'm starting to mod it for serious offroad. I have tons of questions. Best place to mount the spare tire? Roof rack? On the back with a hitch mount or modify the rear gate? How hi do I need to lift it? My tires don't rub with original (tired) rear springs and slight modifications to the front wheel well. They are 32"s. Talk more soon.....

I keep my 33" spare on the roof rack (not very convenient) but some have modified the rear door and it looks like a better place for it but requires quite a bit of work.

eternal21
05/25/2020, 11:48 AM
I keep my 33" spare on the roof rack (not very convenient) but some have modified the rear door and it looks like a better place for it but requires quite a bit of work.

Not really. All you need is a spare tire carrier from a GenII Isuzu trooper, some grade 8 bolts, washers, and locking nuts. The biggest issue is that a lot of people don't have the stomach to drill through the rear door. Once you get over that, the 2nd biggest thing is getting the mount lined up so that the tire sits centered.

Once it's all done, however....

http://www.infinitemotion.net/mp/vx/exterior/spare1.jpg

http://www.infinitemotion.net/mp/vx/exterior/spare2.jpg

Mile High VX
05/25/2020, 02:04 PM

Not really. All you need is a spare tire carrier from a GenII Isuzu trooper, some grade 8 bolts, washers, and locking nuts. The biggest issue is that a lot of people don't have the stomach to drill through the rear door. Once you get over that, the 2nd biggest thing is getting the mount lined up so that the tire sits centered.

Once it's all done, however....

http://www.infinitemotion.net/mp/vx/exterior/spare1.jpg

http://www.infinitemotion.net/mp/vx/exterior/spare2.jpg

How long ago did you make this mod? Any problems with the rear door sagging?

ipd
05/25/2020, 02:57 PM
I'd wager the hinges will be fine and can support the weight. If anything, the inside of the door might need some reinforcing, but that's no biggie. Overall, looks great! Though it does look a bit odd with the bump on the door with the tire outside now. lol!

eternal21
05/25/2020, 03:40 PM
How long ago did you make this mod? Any problems with the rear door sagging?

Right before the Moab 2015 VX meet....literally a couple weeks before b/c I didn't want to be caught out on the trail w/out a spare. So, 5 years at this point. Rear hinges are fine. I was rear ended last Aug, and the woman hit the spare tire while I was sitting at a stoplight in her 2015 Jeep Compass. She slid under the tire, and pushed the door in *very* slightly but it was enough that the angle of the tire wasn't parallel anymore. I have a spare door w/busted out glass sitting in the garage, but since it's just me during the coronas, and I didn't want to replace it, just get the angle right, I simply shimmed the 2 bottom bolts of the mount w/SS washers so the tire sits right. Her truck....however....over $3500 in damage. One of the main reasons I have it back there along w/the Curt hitch....taking a hit from a low sitting vehicle, the hitch will absorb that damage before the cladding gets damaged, depending on the speed of the impact. And the tire absorbs the hit from higher sitting vehicles, also protecting the cladding.

That and picturing myself climbing on top of the truck to get the spare in the event I need to....yeaaaah....no *lol*.

Oh, never sagged, no problems really, except the Tone hatch popper sometimes won't open the door all the way due to the extra weight. I'm going to be replacing the spring sometime in the near future, so that should remedy that.

Do you have a basket? I have one that's been sitting since I installed the bike racks + jack. It's the one everyone uses to attach to the VX cross bars. I put it up for sale a bit ago and this guy was trying to haggle so much over the price, I just stopped talking to him *lol*

I'd wager the hinges will be fine and can support the weight. If anything, the inside of the door might need some reinforcing, but that's no biggie. Overall, looks great! Though it does look a bit odd with the bump on the door with the tire outside now. lol!

You're correct about the hinges. The bolt heads are on the outside. Inside the door, I just used washers to distribute the weight a bit, then nylon inserted locking nuts. Merlin (IIRC) did this a bit ago, and did a write up, so I just basically copied what he did. And with the spare tire out of that space, it opens up a world of opportunities for the imaginative mind ;)

ipd
05/26/2020, 04:18 AM
Superbumper is way better for impact than a hitch. The hitch may prevent that 3" square section of car hitting your VX, but it won't stop anything outside that area. Worse, if the impact is hard enough, a hitch can transfer the force to your frame rails--there's pics of other vehicles you can see where this happened. The Superbumper fits into the hitch and provides cushion for impact. Plus it has a lifetime warranty--so if you ever get in a wreck and it's damaged, just send them a copy of the police report + a photo of the bumper...and they will send you another.

eternal21
05/26/2020, 10:15 AM
Superbumper is way better for impact than a hitch. The hitch may prevent that 3" square section of car hitting your VX, but it won't stop anything outside that area. Worse, if the impact is hard enough, a hitch can transfer the force to your frame rails--there's pics of other vehicles you can see where this happened. The Superbumper fits into the hitch and provides cushion for impact. Plus it has a lifetime warranty--so if you ever get in a wreck and it's damaged, just send them a copy of the police report + a photo of the bumper...and they will send you another.

I'll look into that.....thanks!

ipd
05/26/2020, 04:12 PM
Sue turned me on to them, since I think she was the original VX with one. I know Jo has used other hitch steps for protection from ground clearance and accidents. Superbumper (or Sparebumper) actually are designed to slide in the hitch in the case of impact. They have what I can only describe as hockey pucks surrounding the shaft of the bumper that slides into the receiver. If you get hit, the rubber discs compress and the bumper slides into the hitch--but force isn't transferred to your car or the frame. hard to describe.

kenkb
10/29/2020, 11:31 AM
I was on Vacation in Tuscon in 2020 and it was raining so I went to look at the VX. They had one at the dealer, I drove it around the block and went inside a purchased it. I live in New York City so the only rub was finding a transfer company to ship it to NY. One week later I picked it up at a transfer station in NJ. Used it for 16 years as my regular car. Now up to 170,000 miles and the engine is going through lots of oil about a quart every 400 miles. It may be time to move on but I love the car. The week the car arrived in NY I went for a drive into the country, I pulled into a McDonald's parking lot to try and figure out where I was and all of a sudden I was surrounded by a bunch of high school boys who LOVED the car. I knew I had made the right choice if it appealed to me and the younger generation.

Mile High VX
10/29/2020, 06:33 PM
Try switching to Rotella T-6. It's for a diesel engine so has more cleaning additives. I used this in my Dragon and my oil usage improved over time.

ipd
10/29/2020, 08:47 PM
I've used t6 for nearly a decade. I won't use anything else.

Vxdave
11/21/2020, 09:00 PM
Hello all!

Just picked up my vx today saw it for sale and went to see it and it screamed “BUY ME!” It’s what I have been looking for since I first saw one at a Isuzu dealer back in 1999. Runs great, front seats were re upolsterd to factory color, arm rest needs to be done, carpet and door panels are great. Has a funky Chinese kenwood POS stereo but has factory disc changer installed but doesn’t function. Need to fix passenger window, drivers is good and AC is non functional

Paint is realy good with just a few little thumb size dents

I’m a former 20 year Chrysler tech and have the tools and experience to fix anything and this VX of mine is my new baby she will be perfect in just a few months!!

You all can check out my work on my other project it WAS a POS 40yo motorhome and I turned it into a real attention getter!! It has its own Facebook page, just look up “Terminal Defiance” on Facebook just imagine what my VX will look like in a little while!!

Thanks for reading this and I feel honored to be part of this site and the owner of a very limited production vehicle

Vxdave

Vxdave
11/29/2020, 06:50 PM
Introduced myself here awhile ago but maybe I hit the wrong button. Older guy here and finally got me a vx, black with black/grey interior
Runs excellent,166k black paint is excellent!(possibly repainted) seats were reupholstered to factory colors, slight body damage up front, after bending center support back in place, I need ac condenser can’t find one, will try one out of a trooper

Everything looks and drives excellent!! Car fax shows me vx was well maintained. Just had a bunch of little crap to fix

I’m an ex-Chrysler tech so can just about fix anything on this vx. Not too many people on here anymore

Always loved the look of this vehicle, now I got one!! This little vx now has a good home and lots of TLC!

Vxdave

ipd
11/29/2020, 07:00 PM
Welcome to the madness. I still love walking out to the parking lot and ogling mine.

I do wish GM would partner with Suzuki though. Take the Jimny chassis & put Isuzu body-work on it, add TOD and baja-competition-ready shocks & call it another Vx. I can dream.

JoFotoz
11/29/2020, 07:15 PM
Hiya VXDave.

Availability of condenser depends on year.
1999 VX's have a different set up to 2000/2001.

Male /female connections to dehydrator on 1999 condenser are different than 2000/01...and there doesnt seem to be an aftermarket unit available.
Finding a good used one..or modifying a 2000/01 unit by changing dehydrator tubes seems to be the only option....with careful welding..and get the angles right.

If your VX is a 2000/01...you can get aftermarket from "Autocompressor World"...I know that fits for sure.

Yea..its much quieter here these days......many have moved over to the Vehicross group on Facebook.

Cheers
jo

Vxdave
11/30/2020, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the replies,

Mine is a 2000 and tried to buy one from auto compressor world, they had them listed, ordered it and next day got emails telling me no longer available and giving me a refund......damn!! So I guess try to retrofit a trooper or find somebody to try and repair the old one. I’ll figure it out

You guys can check out my other project . just go to Facebook and type in “terminal defiance”. If I can restore a 41 year old motorhome and make it bad-*** I can figure out a AC condenser problem!LOL

Back to my VX, I got lucky to find a completely rust free California VX. Found it at the spur of the moment last Friday night, went down on Saturday, drove it, checked it out, haggled a little bit.......then drove home with my new toy!! Got so excited I even found a VX hot wheel car on Amazon and had to get it!! I’m like a teenager again!! And I’m 56!! lOL

Love the site! It’s my “go to” site for info.

Vxdave

Mike Smallwood
01/24/2021, 10:18 PM
Recently picked up a 1999 VX, ebony.
Started doing automotive restoration professionally about 35 years ago, now its just something I'll do to a car for my personal use.
The VX is rough around the edges but only 72k miles.
Refinishing the exterior and repairing the broken things.
Lower plastic panel restoration is going nicely using heat flash and wet cloth, fusing the UV damaged polymer chains at the surface back together, goes from light grey to dark grey in a flash. Paint is being wet sanded, cut and polished, looking like new paint now, surprising for a 22 year old paint job, maybe even nicer than when it left the assembly line, no orange peel.
Should look like a new rig when finished with the restoration.

Missing hood insert but will NOT be replaced with factory insert. Here in Hawaii, the sun super heats exterior parts and those hood inserts use glue to adhere to the anchor bolts and that won't cut it here. The insert adhesives melt and let go, causing a hood insert to fly off the vehicle when on the highway.
To correct this issue, I'll be fabricating a brushed stainless steel insert that's spot welded to stainless mounting studs, no more separation nonsense.
Hope to share pictures here on the site but it doesn't look like photos are uploadable here.
Aloha!

ipd
01/25/2021, 04:31 AM
Brushed stainless sounds like a recipe for being blinded unless you are painting it or something. AFAIK, the insert was to reduce hood glare.

Welcome to the obsession!

moonroof
09/20/2021, 06:41 AM
I bought a 1999 Vehicross recently.
94000 miles and in nice condition.
I had to sort out a few problems, like abs, covert the radio to receive UK stations, off a cylinder, new set of plugs fixed the problem.
I was surprised that my local Isuzu dealer could supply any parts that I needed.
Michael.

ipd
09/20/2021, 08:32 AM
I bought a 1999 Vehicross recently.
94000 miles and in nice condition.
I had to sort out a few problems, like abs, covert the radio to receive UK stations, off a cylinder, new set of plugs fixed the problem.
I was surprised that my local Isuzu dealer could supply any parts that I needed.
Michael.

Welcome!

Most of the community has moved to FB, so you probably won't get much traffic here. But I'm still here and will be. You can always PM me.

post up pics!

moonroof
09/21/2021, 04:58 AM
Ok I’ll have look on Facebook. What’s the name of the group please?

3x2x4sp389
12/03/2021, 10:11 PM
Use this thread to introduce yourself to the rest of the club.
Even if you are just lurking, this is an important thread. Tell us a litle about yourself and your experience in finding your VX.
While you are at it, select what you are driving here (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28)

Note:You will be able to reply to this thread but, you will not be able to respond to anyone else's. No photo's are allowed

I think this is how I introduce myself to the group?
Just flew to Oregon to purchase my 3rd VX - this one I intend to keep but life has other plans so we'll see.
This particular vehicle has 110k miles - black w/black, red interior - PO completely debadged it except the front Isuzu in the grill - otherwise bone stock.
The plan is to raise it up 2", add 31's if they will fit, clean it up and have a blast - maybe wrap the upper metal in Proton or ??
My name is Mike - live in Fountain Valley CA and am a retired print production operator.

Mile High VX
12/06/2021, 04:19 PM
Welcome Mike...Lots of good information here. You should also checkout the Facebook group as most of the activity is over there now. No problem with 31" with that much lift. I'm lifted less that that with 32.5"

CryptoBuggy
12/10/2021, 07:25 AM
Hey Good People. This is my Epic Barn Find. 1 Owner 70K original miles and all original. Accident and damage free. Orig. docs and business card from dealership. Completely rust free Texas Vehicle.2093.20942095 2096

Its been sitting for a decade. Now in good hands. Basics to be done. Original Timing belt so that's first....fluids and belts and hoses filters etc....the plugs were a bit scary and stuck. Patience and small moves with penetrating oil got them out. Speakers are dried and rattle so a modern touch screen and speakers to follow and some dynamat. AC is ice cold no leaks anywhere. Mind Blower for sure..... oh and it was free from a Shiba coin crypto pump and dump profit. Woah! hence "Crypto Buggy "

CryptoBuggy
12/10/2021, 12:38 PM
Congrats!

Mile High VX
12/10/2021, 04:57 PM
That is super sweet. Welcome to the madness. Be sure to checkout the Facebook group and introduce yourself there and tell your story. Not much attention to this forum anymore as most have moved over to FB. Still lots of good information here by using the search function.

CatFish
01/15/2022, 07:54 PM
Crypto Buggy, nice find welcome to the VX clan

Alex Bolotnikov
01/24/2022, 05:09 AM
Glad to join VX family with 1999 3.5 Vehicross)

manydubs
02/10/2022, 12:55 PM
Hi there, just picked up a 99 Vehicross 3.5L in black.

I am in Kentucky

Pretty ruff shape.

Paid $1500 and it runs and drives.
170K miles

Needs the following though:

Both rear calipers, pads and rotors
Passenger side front caliper, Front pads

Exhaust broke at the flew joint from drivers side exhaust pipe, rear muffler toast and holey & tail pipe completely missing

Tune up, did not even have an air filter in the airbox
All fluids and filters

Someone relocated the battery to behind the driver's seat

Has custom made front bumper and rock sliders though....

This is my 2nd Isuzu, I also own a 90 Trooper II with the 2.6L 4 cyl and 5 speed manual transmission
Just ordered a LOKKA for the rear end

Scout
02/14/2022, 05:46 PM
Use this thread to introduce yourself to the rest of the club.
Even if you are just lurking, this is an important thread. Tell us a litle about yourself and your experience in finding your VX.
While you are at it, select what you are driving here (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28)

Note:You will be able to reply to this thread but, you will not be able to respond to anyone else's. No photo's are allowed

Just bought a 2000 Proton VX with 112 K miles. I've owned a lot of old and classic cars which I fix up and (unintentionally), sell at a loss. This is my first VX although I have owned 6 Amigos and a Trooper II. I'm 76, retired Army helicopter pilot, (33 yrs), retired District Attorney, Hawaii, retired Correctional Officer California, (Charlie Manson's Wing Officer), widow, and I restore old Sanger pickle fork hydros and race R/C hydros and riggers unsuccessfully due to my age but I still keep them in the lake. I am enjoying taking this VehiCross apart to repair it. I'm curious if there is a tail pipe and muffler system guys use that runs two pipes out the back or side. Not interested in a very expensive stainless steel Ferrari setup, just want to have a nice growl so I can listen to Cds and not go road deaf. I have a frozen hood release cable and wonder if anyone knows where to get a replacement. My recaro driver's seat is pretty worn. I expect to be able to have it reupholstered. Is this a problem? Driver's door window motor and regulator looks like they're bad. Is there a Trooper II replacement? The car is in surprisingly good shape with new Maxxis 33 inch tires and the original chrome wheels and tires. The original wheels aren't great with some of the chrome coming off. They should be re-chromed I guess. I'd sell the original wheels if there's a market for them. The car came with a Badlands winch which was installed well and helps the looks of the car. I'm interested if there is a plug and play LED or bright white bulb that can be easily installed to make the headlights brighter. It has the roof rack which I guess is Yakima with LED lights. Anyway It looks like fun.

Gonzo
04/28/2022, 08:32 AM
Hello all this is my second account here on the site. For some reason I couldn't get back into my first account so I made a new one. I have owned 3 Vehicross. My first was a 2001 Dragon Green that my son got when I got my 2000 Kaiser Silver red/black. Then I picked up a wrecked Kaiser Silver for parts and stripped it. So if you are in the Dallas area let me know if you need anything.
Just rebuilt the motor at 173k miles.
Anyone interested in a Dallas-DFW meet in May? I tried creating an event but the site keeps giving me an error.
I don't use Facebook so this is it for me!

Cobrajet
04/29/2022, 07:28 AM
There is almost zero activity in this forum any more. You will probably get no response from anybody else.

Gonzo
05/05/2022, 09:23 AM
That's sad. Thank you for the heads up!

CatFish
05/28/2022, 11:23 AM
Hello all this is my second account here on the site. For some reason I couldn't get back into my first account so I made a new one. I have owned 3 Vehicross. My first was a 2001 Dragon Green that my son got when I got my 2000 Kaiser Silver red/black. Then I picked up a wrecked Kaiser Silver for parts and stripped it. So if you are in the Dallas area let me know if you need anything.
Just rebuilt the motor at 173k miles.
Anyone interested in a Dallas-DFW meet in May? I tried creating an event but the site keeps giving me an error.
I don't use Facebook so this is it for me!

It is sad that nobody comes here much anymore, I know you said you don't use Facebook but if you want to make a event or meet go here this is where everyone is now :( https://www.facebook.com/groups/32929439606

Heavywx
08/06/2022, 10:58 AM
Hello all,
I've owned a Isuzu Rodeo Sport Convertible for over ten years and finally found my VX. I'm swapping in a 5 spd right now and transplanting the engine from my Rodeo into my VX since the motor blew. Love these trucks and I'm glad to have found some kindred spirits. Cheers!

CatFish
08/06/2022, 03:57 PM
Hello all,
I've owned a Isuzu Rodeo Sport Convertible for over ten years and finally found my VX. I'm swapping in a 5 spd right now and transplanting the engine from my Rodeo into my VX since the motor blew. Love these trucks and I'm glad to have found some kindred spirits. Cheers!

Glad you got you dream VX, sadly very few come here much anymore, go here this is where everyone is now https://www.facebook.com/groups/32929439606

xorayik
01/09/2023, 10:39 AM
Home Organization - Packing & Unpacking Services Austin TX

With my skills and expertise as a qualified Home Organizer, I have developed some core services over the years. If you’re looking for something more specific or specialized, please get in touch to discuss how I can help you.Moving Organization Austin (https://www.savedbythebins.com/services-pricing)

Avem7
02/19/2023, 05:40 PM
Hi, i’m just introducing my self.. i just got a good deal on a 1999 VehiCROSS with a gazillion miles!
I always wanted this car, ever since i saw it on a magazine while waiting on a barbershop.
Not sure why i waited so long to buy one, i could have gotten it half the price 5 years ago, but today somehow 10K seems like a good deal,,, oh well.

There is a lot of work to do to it, i jist finished replacing themAxles, CV Joints, all wheel bearings, and a whole bunch of other drivetrain related parts,
Just got a new set of tires, decided to keep the original wheels, just need to get them polished.
Installed a new radio, replaced the mirror with a digital one…. Uff.. sounds exhausting already, and still have much more to do,,,,,

Thanks to all of you for all the advise you put out, it helped me tremendously while installing the radio and the camera…

I plan to keep the car for a long time so, I will stick around the forum to get ideas and advise.

CatFish
02/20/2023, 12:23 PM
I am happy for you, not much going on in the forum these days, I am guessing you have already been to the Facebook page. Glad to see you are fixing it up.

Vehicredible
03/04/2023, 07:53 AM
Hello everyone! I caught the vx fever last August with my first 01 white Ironman. It's still my daily driver and I've already put a ton of replacement parts and work on it. I picked up a proton yellow one a month later with less than 85,000 miles for a good price and put it back for sale hoping to replenish my bank account a little. It turned out to be difficult to get my asking price of around $10k but I came across someone who liked my yellow one and offered to trade his silver 2000 vx for mine plus cash. Now I can't figure out which vx I want to keep lmao! I just finished a 1600 mile round trip with my white Ironman and successfully towed a toyota celica race project using a tow bar 800 miles home. I love these trucks

trlrider10
04/15/2023, 08:50 AM
Morning all!
Newby here to the VX scene with a 1999 VehiCROSS from Geronimo/Seguin Texas - about 35 miles East of San Antonio for the non-Texans in the group.

We purchased it to mainly use around the farm and a get-around rig for hunting trips, but now that I have it home and realize how solid it is, may start the process to make it road worthy again.
Known issues:

some criminal cut the cat out of it, in the process damaging the O2 sensor wiring
the dread 2 - 3 slip
missing the left and right window switch panels
missing the spare tire cover
someone not know what they were doing damaged the supply and return fuel lines and serious leak

Plus'"

it is solid, only a surface rust spots
other then above is completely original - guy we picked up from had the original wheels and caps
engine runs smooth, despite the fuel leak
one owner vehicle, always in Texas
it is ours now and I have the patience and know how to put it back on the road

Negative's:

somehow I did not know Isuzu had left the US passenger market years ago. Mainly a Chevrolet truck kinda person.
parts sourcing may get interesting.

CatFish
04/15/2023, 10:21 AM
Vehicredible, sorry nobody replied to your post, I try and visit the page once in a while, not much going on here these days, most if not everyone is on the Facebook page. trlrider10 and Vehicredible, Please join us there. https://www.facebook.com/groups/32929439606

trlrider10
04/15/2023, 01:46 PM
Vehicredible, sorry nobody replied to your post, I try and visit the page once in a while, not much going on here these days, most if not everyone is on the Facebook page. trlrider10 and Vehicredible, Please join us there. https://www.facebook.com/groups/32929439606

Thanks Catfish. Just submitted the join request on the Facebook group under my real name, L. Upton. Thanks

RodL
04/16/2023, 03:06 PM
I haven't been on the site for a long time, but am book marking it to visit daily for a while.

Had the transmission of my 1999 rebuilt last summer. Took all summer and I hardly got to drive it at all. It got done around Thanksgiving and was driven to the garage for the winter as I was 400 miles south of it till early April. I'm now driving it daily and loving it.

Now to see what I've missed and maybe ask a question or two.

Rod

CatFish
04/16/2023, 05:04 PM
You have not missed much it has been pretty dead around here for a while, I wish more would come back and post but the Facebook page pretty much dominates things these days. We do have a good files section on the FB page so if you need info or a shop manual you can download one there. https://www.facebook.com/groups/32929439606

silvercross
05/09/2023, 11:00 AM
This is Pat in Pensacola Florida. Known as Silvercross. Had to sell my cross on 2010 engine blew. I have seen a Vehicross or 2 in my area. I was wondering if there are any members fee on the club in my area. My wife says she liked the vehicross but parts too hard to come by. I'm still trying to convince her to let me get another one. If any member is in the Pensacola area you can email me at Vehicross777@gmail.com.

silvercross
05/09/2023, 11:04 AM
This is Pat in Pensacola Florida. Known as Silvercross. Had to sell my cross on 2010 engine blew. I have seen a Vehicross or 2 in my area. I was wondering if there are any members fee on the club in my area. My wife says she liked the vehicross but parts too hard to come by. I'm still trying to convince her to let me get another one. If any member is in the Pensacola area you can email me at Vehicross777@gmail.com.

CatFish
05/09/2023, 11:08 AM
Hey silvercross, It has been pretty dead around here for a while, I wish more would come back and post but the Facebook page pretty much dominates things these days. There are lots of FL people on there and we do have a good files section on the FB page so if you need info or a shop manual or other info you can download it there. https://www.facebook.com/groups/32929439606

RodL
05/28/2023, 03:12 PM
Not sure on the inability to get parts. I had a part break on me a couple weeks ago and somehow Rock Auto knew what I needed and put it on 'Clearance'. I ordered it, but I actually needed another part or two and so far my local parts store hasn't let me down. I will even get the power steering leak fixed that I've been feeding every other day for way too many years. The pump is on its way and what's holding up the completion of the job.

Rod

CatFish
05/28/2023, 07:10 PM
Have you tried call Scott Burcham (816) 683-4254 over at Isuzu Parts center? a lot of parts are still available and some are not priced very high I get lots of parts from him the website is nice to look stuff up because it has a fitment table at the bottom of each part you look up so you can see what other Isuzus that part fits if any. https://www.isuzupartscenter.com/

silvercross
08/20/2024, 01:13 PM
This is Silvercross. My engine blew in 2010. Rest of vehicle was great condition. Had to sell it. Wife doesn't want me to get another one. Tried to contact owner of silver grey on in Lillian Alabama, but his brother said he passed away and it was sold. I really miss my Cross. Is there anyone near Pensacola Florida that owns one? Please let me know at Vehicross777@gmail.com thanks

CatFish
08/20/2024, 04:32 PM
I saw a few for sale on the Facebook page, I thought one of them was silver, but cannot remember. You might even spot your over on the page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/32929439606

This is Silvercross. My engine blew in 2010. Rest of vehicle was great condition. Had to sell it. Wife doesn't want me to get another one. Tried to contact owner of silver grey on in Lillian Alabama, but his brother said he passed away and it was sold. I really miss my Cross. Is there anyone near Pensacola Florida that owns one? Please let me know at Vehicross777@gmail.com thanks