PDA

View Full Version : Introduce yourself here!

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

vxer
12/03/2007, 03:07 PM
:)

SRT-IZ
12/07/2007, 02:31 AM
Hey guys, name is IZ. I live in Tuc. AZ. Dont own a VX but think they are very cool. I currently own a Jeep and love it. Looking forward to chat and hit some trails.

TIA...IZ!

Solitude
12/07/2007, 01:54 PM
:thumbup: welcome.. hope to see ya fourwheelin sometime.,. hope ya meet triathlete.. he's pretty hardcore.. give ya jeep a go..

SRT-IZ
12/07/2007, 06:20 PM
Thanks...I did meet him already. Was with him at Charleaou Gap. (or however you spell it:bgwg:)

Esson
12/08/2007, 01:25 PM
Hello from England

Been the owner of a VX 1997 3.2 Jap spec in red just ove a week:)
Looks like Gt web site
Must only be a handful of VXs in the Uk.
Glad they shipped a load to the USA.

Andy

Scott Harness
12/08/2007, 02:39 PM
Welcome! Glad you could make it. This site is fantastic!

justatwinturbo
12/18/2007, 11:08 AM
hey guys/girls. let me start out...my name is Ronnie, and i currently live in chicago. i cannot wait to get out of this crap hole city and move to sunny FL. i am a mechanic for UPS freight..no not the little brown trucks, i work on the big trucks. i just bought my first vehicross..im sure a few of you are familiar with this VX, here's a link to refresh the memory: http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12323
im happy to finally have one of my own. in case anyone is curious where i get my screen name, i also have a 1992 dodge stealth R/T TT..black on black. i bought that car on ebay 4 years ago with 24k miles, it now has 38k. i dont plan on driving the stealth for a loooong time, and this new vehicross will be driven daily until i fix my 84 turbo diesel jetta, then both cars will sit while i drive the jetta everywhere. im happy to be a part of this community and i hope to learn a lot from all of you.

nfpgasmask
12/18/2007, 11:22 AM
hey guys/girls. let me start out...my name is Ronnie, and i currently live in chicago. i cannot wait to get out of this crap hole city and move to sunny FL.

LOL! Welcome. Chicago is most definitely a crap hole. I left just over a year ago and I don't miss a darn thing about that place. That said, Florida isn't a whole lot better, imho. I lived there for 7 years and hated every single sweat soaked moment of it. Between the constant humidity, and the vast majority of the people who live down there, I would say it is almost more miserable than Chicago. But it definitely depends on where you move to in Florida, and if you like being virtually boiled to death from March to October. :)

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

Bart

justatwinturbo
12/18/2007, 11:31 AM
haha, yeah, the only thing good about chicago is the cubbies...and they havent won in 100 years. i lived in florida for 6 months, and loved it..i dont plan on being anywhere near the city i'd like to buy 10 or so acres about an hour or so north of tampa. personally i love the heat and humidity...i'll take that over what im in now.

nfpgasmask
12/18/2007, 11:49 AM
Well, that's good at least. I was moreso referring to everything from West Palm Beach to Miami. The whole south east coast is a human cesspool if you ask me (no offense to anyone who lives there). I've never been to Beverly Hills, but Boca Raton is most certainly the most superficial city I have every lived in. Want to see people actually resort to violence over a parking spot? Move to Boca! 99% of the people who inhabit that part of the state are simply UNCANNY.

;) Bart

haha, yeah, the only thing good about chicago is the cubbies...and they havent won in 100 years. i lived in florida for 6 months, and loved it..i dont plan on being anywhere near the city i'd like to buy 10 or so acres about an hour or so north of tampa. personally i love the heat and humidity...i'll take that over what im in now.

justatwinturbo
12/18/2007, 12:11 PM
Ill have to agree with everything you just said. I can't stand Miami or anything else that far south, I'm more of a clearwater/tamapa/st. Pete kinda guy

JHarris1385
12/18/2007, 12:31 PM
same here....that is where I plan to move and is my favorite destinatio for a vacation.

nfpgasmask
12/18/2007, 01:45 PM
The Tampa area is certainly more down to earth, and the people are more "normal", if there is such a thing. I lived there too, when I was attending USF. There are a few notable VXers in that area as well...

:) Bart

Ill have to agree with everything you just said. I can't stand Miami or anything else that far south, I'm more of a clearwater/tamapa/st. Pete kinda guy

JHarris1385
12/18/2007, 02:26 PM
I met one of them even before I got my VX down there. You cant beat ybor city or however its spelled - never seen it sober.......

vxfan97365
12/19/2007, 06:02 PM
v

vxfan97365
12/19/2007, 06:06 PM

vxfan97365
12/19/2007, 06:07 PM
v

vxfan97365
12/19/2007, 06:14 PM
aaaaaaaaaaa

vxfan97365
12/19/2007, 06:17 PM
So ive owned my vx for almost 2 weeks now and i had been waiting find a car or truck that i liked but never really found any that spark my interest until i saw the vx at a dealers used car lot and i had been driving back and forth to work for weeks when finally december 7th my wife and i decided to go check it out. took it out for a test drive and emmidiately fell inlove with it ive spent the last two weeks looking at pictures of everybody's vx on this site reading up on old post on lifts and other modifications. this is a very good website and a lot of help so far. i have a 99 silver with red interior body and interior in very excellent condition with 89k. im very happy with this new investment and new hobby/ addiction!
ok so i think i finally know how to use this thing!!!! sorry bout all the other post.

justatwinturbo
12/19/2007, 06:52 PM
Yes, Ybor city was spelled right...I love Ybor, its like mardi gras every weekend. I've spent many a drunk night at Ybor, and Ybor strip...one of the better but more expensive strip clubs in the area......but those days are behind me now

Vxfan.....you got your vx on my birthday. Welcome, I think we will end up spending a lot of time on this forum learning new things about these amazing machines.

Solitude
12/20/2007, 08:06 AM
Hi.. not sure if I have done this before but have been a member here since jun of 05,

I bought my vx in July '02 when Isuzu released the last of the vx's that had been stored down in national city, Cali with a 10,000 reduction in price. (where they should have been priced at to start).

I am a coast to coast semi driver. I transport vehicles.. mainly between Michigan and Arizona. I usually transport Research and development vehicles for the manufacturers; GM, Toyota, Chrysler, Honda, and all the subsidies thereof.

I have almost 37000 miles on my Dragon Green '01.

It is pretty stock with no roof racks and only upgraded the tires with 255/55/18 nitto terra grapplers..

I enjoy this sight immensely and will be around for a long time.. I have leanred alot about this vehicle from watching this sight and it has helped alot in technical questions I have..

I will be around for a long time so thanks for having it Moncha..

Peace, Jeff

ACRVX00
12/20/2007, 11:08 AM
Hello fanatics of VX. My name is Arthur and I recently bought my very own 2000 VX Victory White Ironman edition 2 nights ago. The vehicle has 78000 and was sold to me from BMW dealership for $5000 out the door. I paid it for cash. It is nice to have joined this forum. Looking forward getting some tips and recommendation from some of you and possibly a VX meeting. I have been a fan of this machine when I saw it at the San Diego Auto Show back in 99. I thought this vehicle was ahead of it's time compare to the rest of the SUV families. I also own a 1994 Nissan 300ZX twin turbo. These 2 cars were my dream toys. Now I can proudly say I am living that dream now. Thanks again for having me and Happy Holidays

justatwinturbo
12/20/2007, 11:16 AM
Hello fanatics of VX. My name is Arthur and I recently bought my very own 2000 VX Victory White Ironman edition 2 nights ago. The vehicle has 78000 and was sold to me from BMW dealership for $5000 out the door. I paid it for cash. It is nice to have joined this forum. Looking forward getting some tips and recommendation from some of you and possibly a VX meeting. I have been a fan of this machine when I saw it at the San Diego Auto Show back in 99. I thought this vehicle was ahead of it's time compare to the rest of the SUV families. I also own a 1994 Nissan 300ZX twin turbo. These 2 cars were my dream toys. Now I can proudly say I am living that dream now. Thanks again for having me and Happy Holidays

looks to me like we have similar tastes in machines...you own a TT300z, i have a TT stealth, and we both just bought a vehicross. i actually went to look at that vehicross you just bought the day after BMW got it. they wanted 6500 for it, but when i went to look at it, they hadnt even detailed it yet....did they fix the cladding?

ACRVX00
12/20/2007, 12:19 PM
As a matter of fact they did clean it althoug the cadding was the same and the side mirror which was not big deal. it's cosmetics. The interior was great, CD player seats etc. It looked new and smelled nice. Although when i saw it firsthand last week it was fugly. I told them I was not comfortable with the price and we played prices for 3-4 days until it was let go $5000 out the door with tags, tax and doc fees. It runs perfect, I mean I don't expect it running like new but the engine runs strong and smooth. What county are you from? maybe we can invite some of the locals to get together or something. Yes I love my Z. I have an Aztec Red 1994 Z32 TwinTurbo. but I have to retire her due to the winter. Let me know if you wanna get together. I am currently stationed here in Great lakes, near Lake Forest/Waukegan area. I am a US sailor. My family and I moved here in 2004. Not too many Z's or VX in this area which is kinda nice. Anyway holler!

ACRVX00
12/20/2007, 12:39 PM
looks to me like we have similar tastes in machines...you own a TT300z, i have a TT stealth, and we both just bought a vehicross. i actually went to look at that vehicross you just bought the day after BMW got it. they wanted 6500 for it, but when i went to look at it, they hadnt even detailed it yet....did they fix the cladding?

Did you get the public invite message from VXIronWoman. We are meeting up in Schaumburg on the 29th of this moth TBD. Sounds fun

justatwinturbo
12/20/2007, 12:51 PM
That's cool they cleaned it up nice, I'd say you got a deal at 5k even with the cladding and mirror. My stealth has been retired for over a year now, but that's due to modifications and lack of funds to pay for it all, haha. I didn't get the invite, but I wouldn't be able to make it anyways, ill be in tennessee, but any other time we get the chance, that would be cool to see the car I almost bought, and meet up with some other VXers

JHarris1385
12/20/2007, 12:59 PM
If your taking I-65 down through Louisville, let me know, I might be able to meet you for a second, and we can take a look at each other's VXs.

ACRVX00
12/20/2007, 01:11 PM
That's cool they cleaned it up nice, I'd say you got a deal at 5k even with the cladding and mirror. My stealth has been retired for over a year now, but that's due to modifications and lack of funds to pay for it all, haha. I didn't get the invite, but I wouldn't be able to make it anyways, ill be in tennessee, but any other time we get the chance, that would be cool to see the car I almost bought, and meet up with some other VXers

Roger that! have fun and happy holidays

moonbuggyman
12/20/2007, 06:15 PM
Hi there, this is Moonboggyman, I just baught my first proton yellow Vehicross, I tell u what, I get a lot of atention, towards my vehicross. If anyone is out there that can give me tips on downloading pics to my profile that would be great. I also have a myspace page that has a pic of me and my vehicross,all vxers are my friends. moonbuggy80 is myspace.

justatwinturbo
12/21/2007, 10:43 AM
If your taking I-65 down through Louisville, let me know, I might be able to meet you for a second, and we can take a look at each other's VXs.

dang it...i take 57-24 and get off at the purchase parkway.

JHarris1385
12/21/2007, 10:49 AM
I dont even know where those roads are......heading to google....

EDIT: Just looked, They are practically the same distance, just a bow shape in the opposite state, just depends where your destination in TN is.......

2nd Edit: Chicago to generic Nashville, taking I-65 is 473 miles - - Taking the 57 - 24 is 508

justatwinturbo
12/21/2007, 11:42 AM
im heading to Dover TN, in stewert county. i could take 65, but then i'd be coming back west to go to dover.

johnnyapollo
12/21/2007, 05:05 PM
I used to go fishing up at land between the lakes near dover - my father is buried in the national cemetery there so I try to go up for a visit every couple of years. I grew up just South East of there in Clarksville, TN.

-- John

justatwinturbo
12/21/2007, 06:11 PM
I used to go fishing up at land between the lakes near dover - my father is buried in the national cemetery there so I try to go up for a visit every couple of years. I grew up just South East of there in Clarksville, TN.

-- John

My best friends wife is from clarksville..her whole family still lives there. We're actually going to her brothers house in clarksville, for new years.

johnnyapollo
12/21/2007, 07:01 PM
I'll be there for Christmas - my brother and mother still live on the south side of town (grew up on the north side). My father was Army and retired out of Ft Campbell just north of Clarksville. It was a neat town to grow up in, very pastoral with many still run farms (mostly Tobacco - something you don't see much anymore, and corn). I attended Austin Peay for 2 years then moved away.

-- John

justatwinturbo
12/21/2007, 07:46 PM
Yeah, clarksville is pretty nice, and how many cities can say they have 4 walmarts? Haha. I like the dover area, its not very populated, and you can still get a lot of land for really cheap. I've thought about buying some land not far from "downtown" dover, just down carlisle road (if you know the area well)

BlackVXer99
12/23/2007, 11:06 AM
New here, just picked up a 99 black VX with 55xxx miles, and love it so far :smilegray: Hope to learn a lot here and have some fun.

Ldub
12/24/2007, 11:13 PM
New here, just picked up a 99 black VX with 55xxx miles, and love it so far :smilegray: Hope to learn a lot here and have some fun.

Welcome to the fam, you'll find yourself in good company.
There are quite a few VX nuts scattered around the greater IL & IN area.
If you have any interest in taking your baby off-road, another great site, full of good folks that frequently wheel the Badlands in Attica, IN is: www.mwior.com

(midwest Isuzu off road)

Chopper
12/25/2007, 08:30 AM
Just killed an hour here, seeing who's still around. yeah...I'm bored. I seriously am thinking about going over to the shop for a few hours:p No one will be there, so it'll be quiet! Oh yeah...been here forever, I'm a club VMag migrant. Backed 0177 off the car carrier:bwgr:(I worked for Isuzu at the time) and trailered it home in the shipping plastic...I wouldn't even let them do the prep-detail on it. It's always been a third or fourth vehicle, so it has been pretty much preserved. I'm thinking about a second as a dedicated off road toy this spring

Solitude
12/27/2007, 01:21 PM
Just killed an hour here, seeing who's still around. yeah...I'm bored. I seriously am thinking about going over to the shop for a few hours:p No one will be there, so it'll be quiet! Oh yeah...been here forever, I'm a club VMag migrant. Backed 0177 off the car carrier:bwgr:(I worked for Isuzu at the time) and trailered it home in the shipping plastic...I wouldn't even let them do the prep-detail on it. It's always been a third or fourth vehicle, so it has been pretty much preserved. I'm thinking about a second as a dedicated off road toy this spring

Very cool.. I got mine when they released the leftovers in the spring of 02.. its a love hate relationship

riggerr1
12/29/2007, 02:04 PM
Hey All!, I'm Dan, and I have known about the Vehi Cross for years, but I finally introduced my girlfriend to a picture of one, and, well,.... a week later she owns a '99 Astral silver VX. She Love it, and calls it BADASS! (can i say that!?) Needless to say, if I'd known just how awesome they really were, I'd have ten of 'em by now. I will be picking one up within the next 2 mos. hopefully! Maybe someone here knows of one in Wisconsin. Well,.. see you all inside, and great job with this site!!:smilewink

Gussie2000
01/04/2008, 09:07 PM
Hi V-X Guys !
What's up ?
This club if so fun & interesting.
Well,i purchase an few weeks ago a 1999 V-cross here in NYC & all i can say is that I LOVE HIM the first time ever i saw one was on a parking lot 2 years ago at an shopping mall where i used to work,i approach the owner & ask him where in the hell's name he bought that toy.
He provide me with good info about the VX,even invite me to test drive it for about 5 miles & that was it.
Since then i've focused in finding one & succesfully found this one with only 38,000 miles from pocoset,MA with every thing i dreamed to have,leather seats,CD changer & cassette player,etc.
Today i made a stop at an home depot to purchase a couple of stuff & as soon i got out side i saw few individuals looking at the VX,a chick went further & took few pics with her cellphone while sitting at the driver's seat;All of those guys though that it was a 2008 truck due the excelent exterior/interior conditions of the truck.
At that moment i felt very good because i never though that this was actually happening to me.
The only turn off about the VX is that doesn't come with factory moonroof,but after surveying the web page i realize that's possible to have that done.
I'll looking foward to perform that job soon.Right now i replacing the whole sound sys with kenwood products & installing a remote starter because is freaking cold out here guys.
See ya !

bstew2
01/08/2008, 07:11 PM
Just bought my VX with 140,000 miles on it in Chesapeake, VA, it is a 2001 White Ironman #1093, it still runs great, I will be taking it to Kodiak, AK this Summer, where I will be stationed for the next 4 years in the U.S. Coast Guard, I hope it's up to the challenge.

johnnyapollo
01/08/2008, 07:28 PM
There are a couple of other VX owners in AK. I seem to remember one talking about how robust and dependable the VX was in that harsh climate, compared to another, newer vehicle.

-- John

jdm monkey
01/10/2008, 02:39 PM
Hi!
After about a year looking for my 1st VX, I finally found one.
Its a 2000 ebony I bought from ebay. This is my first online car purchase and my first VX. I hope the transaction goes through smoothly. I'll post pics when it gets here. I'm in Virginia beach, VA btw... I have seen 1 vx around here and thats it.

exbritmorgan3
01/15/2008, 09:21 PM
Ok I am new to the group. I have wanted one of these vehicles for a while. I am pretty mechanically savvy but need some advice about things to be careful of.
I have been checking e-bay regularly and it looks like the iron man edition that is currently listed in Las Vegas "seems" reasonable. If there are prior postings that I should check out please let me know.

Any help would be appreciated.

Knivx
01/16/2008, 05:16 PM
Hey all,
Been to the site before but finally decided to join up. I own a 2000 Kaiser silver vx and bought it about 6 months ago after wanting one since they first came out. I have a few things to fix on it (my driver seat leans back on the right side) i would also like to lift it and get better tires having owned only offroad vehicles my entire life (thats the main reason i bought it) I know of one other Red vx in my town but have yet to run into him so not many people here know what they are. Well thats about it for now i guess.

why4zx
01/23/2008, 02:50 PM
Well I am not so much new as back, I sold my 99 silver a couple of years ago and am now in the market for another, I am looking for a Kaiser or Black, maybe even the right foxfire, preferably with the grey int, Does anyone know the Member Rooster? he has one for sale that I would pick up today, however i cannot seem to get in contact with him through this website, if anyone knows him would they please contact him or let me know how??? Thanks and hope to spend more time here.

largecanine
01/24/2008, 07:10 PM
Hello Everyone,

I have enjoyed reading about your VX's on here for a while. I am joining now for two reasons. First, I need some advice on what type of shocks to use that would make for a better ride and not be to far from original. Secondly I plan on selling my VX with or without new shocks. I will post threads in the appropriate spots.
I purchased my VX on a whim from my barber who was looking to buy a BMW convertible. We made the deal in just a couple of days and we were both happy. That puts me up to 4 cars, (98 Chevy Express Van, 2008 Prius, 75 Corvette), and now I just can't keep it anymore. Have to make room in the garage for my newer car (Prius).
It is all original, except for the CD player of course, and although it is very fun to drive and it gets lot's of comments, I am tired of hitting my head on the roof when driving down the roads in my city. It's too nice to use as an everyday car so it's going. I'll be talking to you soon.

BuxGuy
01/25/2008, 03:52 PM
Hi All,

Thanks for a great site. I monitored for weeks when I was finally ready to purchase my first VX. I learned much from y'all and appreciate such a thorough and well-designed site. I bought a 2001 Proton with 70,000 miles. It's in tip-top shape, seemingly. A couple gravel chips out of the front of the hood, but other than that she's a beauty. I live on Florida's Treasure Coast. We're right on the East Coast south of Daytona Beach and North of Palm Beach. It's paradise actually, but I'm a native with no objectivity. Anyway, according to Carfax this VX spent the first 3 years of its life in Michigan, but apparently wasn't driven much in the winter. She's in a better place now...my garage :). Thanks again. I'm sure I'll be tapping into the expertise found on this site often. :bwgr:

largecanine
01/26/2008, 07:29 AM
Hey BuxGuy,

What did you give for your VX? Mine sounds very similar.

BuxGuy
01/27/2008, 08:45 AM
Hey BuxGuy,

What did you give for your VX? Mine sounds very similar.

I got it for $11490. I used this forum and KBB to help me determine what a 'fair' price might be. I feel like I did OK, but I guess only time will tell. I'll post some shots in a day or two.

woody
01/29/2008, 09:30 AM
Hey Gang! I'm one of the newer VX members. I've been a fan since the comercial that showed the VX passing a rocket car...I also remember a turbine vert version in a space movie..
I didn't realize until last year why I couldn't find one in a local auto trader..just aren't that many..so I read up on the history, joined this site and have appreciated the info you all put out.
I'm 49, engaged to be married for the 2nd and last time this spring..she loves my VX by the way... I used to be an Army Attack Helicopter Pilot and own a 10 year old company called Tactical and Rescue Gear, www.trgear.com , that makes custom products for the military and police and fire rescue markets..also rep tons of companies ...if you are a flashaholic I have the worlds coolest flashlights, also oakley maui jim, balistic vests and a very cool company that makes ballistic glass and bomb resistant vehicles...so glad to be a new member and look forward to meeting feloow VXers...

BuxGuy
01/29/2008, 11:44 AM
I used to be an Army Attack Helicopter Pilot

Hi Woody! I'm a newbie here, too, but wanted to be the first to thank you for your service to our Country. You Army guys (and Gals) ROCK! Good luck with the VX.

TexasProton
02/02/2008, 09:57 AM
Hello Yall,
My name is Ollie, I am 47 years old and I live in the Austin, Texas area. I come from a business development and technical background. When I worked at Kroger "Grocery Store" in College Station I was able to build the number one seafood shop in the nation. I went on to start my computer company and was able to develop it into A multimillion dollar company by its third year. With the collapse of the computer market back in 2000; we lost it all mostly due to slow paying government agencies and state universities. No regrets though; I learned a lot and met a lot of great people and that was priceless. I moved my family into the Austin area in May of 2005...we love it here in Austin. Currently I work for an Audio Marketing Company as their Client Services Manager. Great company if any of you guys out there would like to add a very professional Message OnHold to your phone system to entice your callers to learn more and buy more of your own products and services.
On 1/12/2008 I drove home my first 2001 VX...Proton Yellow (actually my wife drove while I was driving the old 1978 Dodge van and trying to keep from running off the road while having my eyes fixed on the rear view mirror watching the "Little Bundle" make its jurney to its new home in Austin).

TexasProton
02/02/2008, 09:58 AM
Hello Yall,
My name is Ollie, I am 47 years old and I live in the Austin, Texas area. I come from a business development and technical background. When I worked at Kroger "Grocery Store" in College Station I was able to build the number one seafood shop in the nation. I went on to start my computer company and was able to develop it into A multimillion dollar company by its third year. With the collapse of the computer market back in 2000; we lost it all mostly due to slow paying government agencies and state universities. No regrets though; I learned a lot and met a lot of great people and that was priceless. I moved my family into the Austin area in May of 2005...we love it here in Austin. Currently I work for an Audio Marketing Company as their Client Services Manager. Great company if any of you guys out there would like to add a very professional Message OnHold to your phone system to entice your callers to learn more and buy more of your own products and services.
On 1/12/2008 I drove home my first 2001 VX...Proton Yellow (actually my wife drove while I was driving the old 1978 Dodge van and trying to keep from running off the road while having my eyes fixed on the rear view mirror watching the "Little Bundle" make its journey to its new home in Austin).

BuxGuy
02/02/2008, 01:37 PM
Hey Ollie! Welcome. I'm new here too. But, welcome. I, too, have a '01 Proton. Bought it just a week or so ago after years of hankerin' for one. Mine has 71K miles and is near perfect condition. My family and I live on Florida's Treasure Coast but have friends in Houston and McKinnney, Texas. Oh, and I just turned 47 in January, so we also have that in common. Enjoy your new sled, I know I am.
Mike

DarkWing
02/03/2008, 08:13 AM
:bwgr:I've not been here long myself, but welcome to you both. This seems to be a great bunch of people and they will help you with the tech needs of your rides. Welcome to the herd.:bwgr:

D.W.

Ozarkman
02/11/2008, 06:19 AM
Hello everyone,
If I've got the count right, the Ebony VX I brought home last week is my 7th Isuzu. The first was actually a Chevy Luv I bought in 77 and drove for 6 years followed by three more Isuzu pickups and a couple of Rodeos. Isuzus always worked great for me and I believe they offer great value. It's disappointing to see Isuzu withdrawing from the US market.

When the VX first came out, I wasn't in the market for anything new and frankly I didn't think they were practical at the time, but now I'm semi-retired, my kids are grown, and the VX fits my lifestyle perfectly.

I live in Springfield, MO close to the Mark Twain National forest, and I'm a river rat. I've enjoyed whitewater kayaking for 30 years and have paddled up to class 4 and some class 5 from WV to Idaho. I also canoe camp the great scenic rivers we have in this part of the country like the Buffalo, Eleven Point, and the Current just to name a few. The VX will be perfect for hauling boats and gear.

My other passion is Ducati motorcycles, the finest handling two wheeled vehicles on the planet, so I appreciate the ability of the VX to hold the road. I've often regretted being in a 4 wheel vehicle on some of the great twisty roads on the way to or from the rivers, wishing I was on one of my Ducs instead. The VX will be the next best thing.

The VX I bought has 58k miles and is in nice condition. Everything works fine, except for the passenger side window which has broken clips. I've ordered the metal replacement clips from Tim Parker and have read and will re-read all the suggestions about fixing the window binding problems.

OK, a couple of changes I'm considering: I have to add a trailer hitch and will welcome any suggestions on what works best. Also, my VX came with the 42 inch factory racks but some of my Yakima accessories will only fit the round bars. I also need to be able to haul two canoes at a time so I'm looking at a way to change out the racks so I can mount 78 inch round bars. It looks to me as if the Yakima railriders could adapt to the VX. Yakima doesn't have a recommendation for the correct base plate, but I'm hoping I can make something work, even if I have to have something fabricated.

Anyone interested in a set of Yakima factory racks for the VX if I can make the round bars work?

I appreciate all the great information on the site. I probably won't post too often but I'm interested in hearing about your experiences.

Steve
(Ozarkman)

Triathlete
02/11/2008, 07:33 AM
Welcome! If you do a search you will find several posts about alternate roof racks (with part numbers) that should suit your needs just fine. When you sell that factory roof rack you should have no problem...as a mtter of fact it will probably sell within minutes of posting it!

nfpgasmask
02/11/2008, 08:23 AM
Hello everyone,
If I've got the count right, the Ebony VX I brought home last week is my 7th Isuzu. The first was actually a Chevy Luv I bought in 77 and drove for 6 years followed by three more Isuzu pickups and a couple of Rodeos. Isuzus always worked great for me and I believe they offer great value. It's disappointing to see Isuzu withdrawing from the US market.

When the VX first came out, I wasn't in the market for anything new and frankly I didn't think they were practical at the time, but now I'm semi-retired, my kids are grown, and the VX fits my lifestyle perfectly.

I live in Springfield, MO close to the Mark Twain National forest, and I'm a river rat. I've enjoyed whitewater kayaking for 30 years and have paddled up to class 4 and some class 5 from WV to Idaho. I also canoe camp the great scenic rivers we have in this part of the country like the Buffalo, Eleven Point, and the Current just to name a few. The VX will be perfect for hauling boats and gear.

My other passion is Ducati motorcycles, the finest handling two wheeled vehicles on the planet, so I appreciate the ability of the VX to hold the road. I've often regretted being in a 4 wheel vehicle on some of the great twisty roads on the way to or from the rivers, wishing I was on one of my Ducs instead. The VX will be the next best thing.

The VX I bought has 58k miles and is in nice condition. Everything works fine, except for the passenger side window which has broken clips. I've ordered the metal replacement clips from Tim Parker and have read and will re-read all the suggestions about fixing the window binding problems.

OK, a couple of changes I'm considering: I have to add a trailer hitch and will welcome any suggestions on what works best. Also, my VX came with the 42 inch factory racks but some of my Yakima accessories will only fit the round bars. I also need to be able to haul two canoes at a time so I'm looking at a way to change out the racks so I can mount 78 inch round bars. It looks to me as if the Yakima railriders could adapt to the VX. Yakima doesn't have a recommendation for the correct base plate, but I'm hoping I can make something work, even if I have to have something fabricated.

Anyone interested in a set of Yakima factory racks for the VX if I can make the round bars work?

I appreciate all the great information on the site. I probably won't post too often but I'm interested in hearing about your experiences.

Steve
(Ozarkman)

Steve, if you sell the roof rack, I would like dibs please!

Thanks - Bart

froggg
02/12/2008, 03:27 PM
Hi, just saying hello, and thanks for all the information I've found in your forums...
I've just bought an accident damaged (n/s door-a post-easy repair)japanese vehicross '97 in deep metallic blue with red recaro leather trimmed seats.
Never saw one before-already had an old trooper (with the same 3.2 engine)-which I liked a lot BUT it looked like a house brick-couldn't resist a 4x4 that looks like the vehicross does.
Apparently the previous owner imported it privately into the uk last year...
Seems to have the heater resistance problem,other than that everything seems ok
Fuel consumption is definitely an issue for me(why the h*ll did you buy a vehicross, I hear you say)my trooper does 20 to gallon with a following wind...
Maybe the vehicross will do the same(3.2 engine in jap model remember)
Petrol in the uk is now a staggering £5 per gallon (£110 per tankful!!!)
But I don't care-I now own the best looking 4x4 in the world, I keep walking around it,trying not to drool on the paintwork
thats all for now-looking forward to the vericross experience:)
On a side issue the registering form for this site would not let me enter(by pressing spacebar once only)a non american location-hence my apparent LA location:rolleyes:

PK
02/12/2008, 05:19 PM
Hi, just saying hello, and thanks for all the information I've found in your forums...
I've just bought an accident damaged (n/s door-a post-easy repair)japanese vehicross '97 in deep metallic blue with red recaro leather trimmed seats.
Never saw one before-already had an old trooper (with the same 3.2 engine)-which I liked a lot BUT it looked like a house brick-couldn't resist a 4x4 that looks like the vehicross does.
Apparently the previous owner imported it privately into the uk last year...
Seems to have the heater resistance problem,other than that everything seems ok
Fuel consumption is definitely an issue for me(why the h*ll did you buy a vehicross, I hear you say)my trooper does 20 to gallon with a following wind...
Maybe the vehicross will do the same(3.2 engine in jap model remember)
Petrol in the uk is now a staggering £5 per gallon (£110 per tankful!!!)
But I don't care-I now own the best looking 4x4 in the world, I keep walking around it,trying not to drool on the paintwork
thats all for now-looking forward to the vericross experience:)
On a side issue the registering form for this site would not let me enter(by pressing spacebar once only)a non american location-hence my apparent LA location:rolleyes:

Hi Froggg, welcome from a cousin down under (Aussie).
This forum contains an amazing amount of information, but you have to be careful with applying some of it. For example, when they talk about fuel consumption, not only is their engine size different, but so is their gallon size. A yankee gallon is only 3.785 Litres, where as an imperial gallon is 4.55 Litres.
My last fuel consumption test was with all around town driving, and I scored 6.38 km/litre, or 15.6L/100km, or 17.5 miles/imperial gallon, or 14.55 miles/US gallon. My VX is stock standard 3.2L with standard tyres, and the driving was all in the suburbs going to and from work. The figures above are not good, but who cares when you are driving the one vehicle that stands out from all others on the road.
Godd luck with your baby.
Regards
PK

froggg
02/14/2008, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the heads up about the us gallon, PK -should get better fuel consumption than I thought, although thinking of bigger tyres to help improve it some more...:)

pdmarty
02/17/2008, 07:11 PM
Hello, my name is Pdmarty but you can call me pdm. I joined this club because I have always loved the vx and although I have never owned one, I find myself in the potential position of purchasing one for my son who will be of driving age next year. I am not sure this is a good first vehicle for a 15 year old boy and any advice in the matter would be greatly appreciated. Because I am sure you are wondering, yes he is a good boy. He is bright and responsible. He has been accepted to a private college prep school here in Dallas, Texas. and will begin 9th grade there next year. So, in answer to the logical question yes to smart and responsible but cursed with a typical boy mentality and attention span.

cyan328
02/19/2008, 08:36 PM
01 kyser vx.

Solitude
02/19/2008, 08:44 PM
Hello, my name is Pdmarty but you can call me pdm. I joined this club because I have always loved the vx and although I have never owned one, I find myself in the potential position of purchasing one for my son who will be of driving age next year. I am not sure this is a good first vehicle for a 15 year old boy and any advice in the matter would be greatly appreciated. Because I am sure you are wondering, yes he is a good boy. He is bright and responsible. He has been accepted to a private college prep school here in Dallas, Texas. and will begin 9th grade there next year. So, in answer to the logical question yes to smart and responsible but cursed with a typical boy mentality and attention span.

They have poor rear visibility.. and they are a bit eccentric.. so special attention to how it drives is important..not sure if that is a good ingrediant for a 16 year old boy..

They four wheel.. quite well though..

TelefonisT
02/21/2008, 08:18 PM
Hello, My name is Vadim, I live in Russia - Novosibirsk City (it's bigest city in Siberia ;_)). I have Japan version of VX. My VX is 175lts modification. I like this car. In Russia we say "in Russia 2 trouble fools and roads", my VX help me resolve problem with roads :bwgy:

Diogenes
02/22/2008, 10:47 AM
Gratz on your VX purchase.. And you've certainly come to the right place for community support.. It's helped me out several times and the members are awesome!!

dio

Thmstec
02/22/2008, 11:26 AM
Hello!
My name is Thomas. I'm 18 living in Leesburg, VA. I'll be picking up my Silver 99 sometime next week. I've been trolling these forums and you guys (and gals?) sound like a fine bunch of people! Looking forward to joining this awesome following.

Thinking I'm going to be doing some modifications, starting with some simpler interior improvements and eventually moving on to some exterior add-ons. Thinking first thing I'll add is a cup holder. I've spotted some single DIN cupholder/money trays at the local dump. Was thinking it'll fit in nicely where the 6 disc changer is. I might aquire a couple and offer them on the forum if anyone is interested. Then I'm not sure exactly what to try with the radio, but I was thinking about a dvd reciever. I've seen some double din installs on this site, I'm guessing that those were jdm models(?) But I really like the was CoastieCosta567 has done his interior with the taller dash and white re-paint.

-Thmstec

etlsport
02/22/2008, 11:38 AM
awesome! is that the silver VX that was for sale in northern VA by a private seller? I forget exactly where it was located, but it was only about 20 minutes from brunswick, md

i've sold a few of those cup/coin holders on the forum, never installed one myself though. I think the only way to do a double-din unit in a US VX is to fiberglass a new dashboard and either re-locate or get rid of the center A/C vents.. but the dashboard assemblies are readily available in rodeos so if you wanted to try modding one, it would be easy to find a donor

Thmstec
02/23/2008, 12:16 AM
yes it was a private seller. It was in lovettsville, you probably have seen it while you were driving on the Berlin Turnpike (287). He had it for sale on the side of the road just before crossing the bridge into MD (when driving north)

BIGWEDGE67
02/25/2008, 08:41 PM
Hello All I'm a new member do to the fact that I just bought my VX, a 2001 to be exact, Definitely a totally different vehical than anything I've ever drove, I love it. Any pointers anyone can give me towards the VX would be Appreciated :grinb:

tom4bren
02/26/2008, 07:39 AM
Welcome to the addiction BIGWEDGE67. Other than keeping the window tracks lubricated, keep a close eye on your oil & keep an eye on your CV boots for cracking - just read through the threads for all kinds of useful advice (everything from performing your own maintenance to mods & troubleshooting. Don't forget to download the PDF versions of the shop manual too.

BIGWEDGE67
02/27/2008, 09:16 AM
my Passenger side window is kinda sticky, Maybe I better get on it, lol

tropicalmaria
02/28/2008, 06:01 PM
My name is Maria, I just buy a vehicross, yellow..is not here yet, is coming from Minessota (probably this weeknd)..please excuse my english, hablo español, and i would love to know everything that can help me to understan my futuro beauty,,:bwgy:..I live in Sarasota Fl..and i can't explain how happy..i am , whit my new kid..my yellow vehicross:bwgy:.thanks to everybody here!!! and by the way I still traying to work in my skills..at the forum..
One more time, thanks, gracias!!
Maria:bwgy:

bigkoala1
02/28/2008, 06:10 PM
My name is Maria, I just buy a vehicross, yellow..is not here yet, is coming from Missuri (probably this weeknd)..please excuse my english, hablo español, and i would love to know everything that can help me to understan my futuro beauty,,:bwgy:..I live in Sarasota Fl..and i can't explain how happy..i am , whit my new kid..my yellow vehicross:bwgy:.thanks to everybody here!!! and by the way I still traying to work in my skills..at the forum..

welcome maria!!! there is only a few vxers down here. but im sure you will make some friends on here. your in my neighborhood so hit me up if you need anything.

Pepino
02/28/2008, 11:02 PM
Maria yo tambien hablo espanol soy de mexico cualquier duda que tengas dime y yo ayudare en lo que pueda

BIGWEDGE67
02/29/2008, 09:37 AM
I'm new to the family as well Maria, I just got my VX about a week ago so I guess we will be learning together lol, Still trying to figure out what the option button is for on the darn remote, lol

My name is Maria, I just buy a vehicross, yellow..is not here yet, is coming from Missuri (probably this weeknd)..please excuse my english, hablo español, and i would love to know everything that can help me to understan my futuro beauty,,:bwgy:..I live in Sarasota Fl..and i can't explain how happy..i am , whit my new kid..my yellow vehicross:bwgy:.thanks to everybody here!!! and by the way I still traying to work in my skills..at the forum..

BuxGuy
03/01/2008, 11:50 AM
Hi Maria,

Fellow Floridian and Proton Yellow VX owner. Welcome to the group. Next time we're in town for a Bucs game we'll give you a shout!

VX-157
03/02/2008, 01:46 PM
HI guys, i am from Australia. I have just bought a firefox (i think that is what the red is called) VX. I bought it from a private seller in Brisbane and i live in canberra (1200 km or so) so this weekend i have a drive ahead of me :) apart from keeping oil topped up what else should i watch for? Also could someone tell me when the timing belt needs to be changed? the car has 100k on the clock so i am thinking its soon.

PS. does anyone know where i can get a manual for it? i have looked all over the web and cannot find a copy anywhere :confused:

johnnyapollo
03/02/2008, 06:02 PM
I think the recommended interval is 70K for the timing belt. If it's a US model (3.5L motor) then the 1999,2000 or 2001 manual, depending on which year it was made (there's some variation in the climate control and harness). You can try Helm.

1999:
http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp?Style=&Mfg=AIM&Make=AIM&Model=VEHI&Year=1999&Category=&Keyword=&Module=&selected%5Fmedia=

2000:
http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp?Style=&Mfg=AIM&Make=AIM&Model=VEHI&Year=2000&Category=&Keyword=&Module=&selected%5Fmedia=

2001:
http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp?Style=&Mfg=AIM&Make=AIM&Model=VEHI&Year=2001&Category=&Keyword=&Module=&selected%5Fmedia=

In either case the one marked "porfolio" will give you the whole packet that came with the truck in the US. If it's a JDM model then your out of luck as I believe those only came with Japanese manuals.

-- John

VX-157
03/02/2008, 06:30 PM
[QUOTE=johnnyapollo;119672]I think the recommended interval is 70K for the timing belt. If it's a US model (3.5L motor) then the 1999,2000 or 2001 manual, depending on which year it was made (there's some variation in the climate control and harness). You can try Helm.

It is my understanding that it was the Japanese model that was imported to Australia. (3.5 ltr DOHC)

I have down loaded one manual from this site but its for the US version. I dont there is much difference execpt you guys have the steering wheel in the wrong place :p

i might start a thread and see if there are any aussie's on this forum.

cheers

johnnyapollo
03/02/2008, 07:29 PM
I think the 1999 175 Limited Editions came with the 3.5 (could be mistaken though) - if so all the engine stuff should be pretty much the same (emissions may be slightly different and the JDM had a different exhaust run, if memory serves). I think there are a couple of aussies and a kiwi or two on the forum, but I haven't seen them around in a while (one guy was Chinese living in AU but he's disappeared).

-- John

indifferent drummer
03/07/2008, 06:41 PM
Hello all,
I just bought a '99 black and I am thrilled.
Once years ago I saw a black one pass me on the right on I-95 at tremendous speed. I knew I had to have one just like that. Drove it home 300 miles yesterday. It was awesome. Quick and held the road like a slot car (although it handles rough pavement only slightly better than my old Land Cruiser.)Took the plunge and I am eager to learn what I can from this site.
I am not much of a talker but I listen fairly well. I live in NY and would be interested to know if anyone knows of a good repair shop on Long Island.
I love the WTF looks it got on the drive.
Peace,
Mike

don moore
03/07/2008, 07:00 PM
welcome inderent dude
you have now entered the VX zone.......stand by,,,:bwgy::bwgr::bgwp::bgwo:

LSkynard87
03/11/2008, 01:37 PM
My name is Dustin but I drive a 96 Dodge Ram that I love, but didn't get the TLC it should have from the previous owner, so it's past it's prime. Do plan on keepin it though, but in the next year, depending on finances, would like to Drive a VX daily and use my truck on the weekends. That 360 v8 sure guzzles gas.

chelo
03/12/2008, 12:29 PM
Hi my name is Marcelo (chelo) and I finally got my VX after much time searching for one. Looks like I got a really good VX that was pampered by its first owner (VExtreme). I'm flying to get it in a few weeks, and I can hardly wait! Looks like there is ton of great info on this forum, so I'm sure I'll be a frequent user.
Anybody in the Denver area with a VX?

Chelo
got one!

TelefonisT
03/14/2008, 01:55 AM
I think the 1999 175 Limited Editions came with the 3.5 (could be mistaken though) - if so all the engine stuff should be pretty much the same (emissions may be slightly different and the JDM had a different exhaust run, if memory serves). I think there are a couple of aussies and a kiwi or two on the forum, but I haven't seen them around in a while (one guy was Chinese living in AU but he's disappeared).

-- John

I have 1999 175 ltd, I saw in Russia several cars 175ltd, and all cars have 3.2 engine (3.2 is 6VD1, on american version 3.5 6VE1). The JDM and american version of VX have several difference, but 175ltd and all other JDM have only 2 difference - the label in cabin and leather interior as in the American version. (6VD1 is the 6VE1 but have 3.2 liter)

don moore
03/14/2008, 07:26 AM
WELCOME.....
if you need anything ..ask ..or use the search :smilegray

Mrs. CRNCNN
03/16/2008, 11:51 AM
I am the second half to CRNCNN! Just wanted to have my own account to keep up with Clint on all the buzz. I love the Vehicross too!!! I LOVE driving it! :p

plasticboob
03/17/2008, 12:06 AM
Hello everyone. My toy is a Full Size Jeep (1974 Cherokee 401), but I have always liked the VehiCROSS. Anyway, I have browsed here before, but I mainly signed up to post information regarding one that is for sale at a dealer near me. Why would I sign up to do this, you ask? Because I've noticed that this forum reminds me of my own mother forum (www.ifsja.org) - you guys are REALLY enthusiastic about your vehicles! I even notice that some of you chase down other owners and hand them cards or flyers - more than a few members on the IFSJA board have done this, myself included! :o So when I saw a post mentioning that basically the only way to find one for sale is to check here, I decided to snap up some pics and let you all know that there is one for sale near me in Southern California. I'll post pics of the VehiCROSS in the For Sale section, and since I'm signed up I might as well stay around a bit and learn more about these cool 4x4s. :bgwg:

Solitude
03/17/2008, 05:11 PM
Hello everyone. My toy is a Full Size Jeep (1974 Cherokee 401), but I have always liked the VehiCROSS. Anyway, I have browsed here before, but I mainly signed up to post information regarding one that is for sale at a dealer near me. Why would I sign up to do this, you ask? Because I've noticed that this forum reminds me of my own mother forum (www.ifsja.org) - you guys are REALLY enthusiastic about your vehicles! I even notice that some of you chase down other owners and hand them cards or flyers - more than a few members on the IFSJA board have done this, myself included! :o So when I saw a post mentioning that basically the only way to find one for sale is to check here, I decided to snap up some pics and let you all know that there is one for sale near me in Southern California. I'll post pics of the VehiCROSS in the For Sale section, and since I'm signed up I might as well stay around a bit and learn more about these cool 4x4s. :bgwg:
welcome.. and enjoy your stay.. the galleries here are kickbutt.. and the people are pretty hardcore ..

plasticboob
03/19/2008, 03:37 PM
welcome.. and enjoy your stay.. the galleries here are kickbutt.. and the people are pretty hardcore ..

Thanks! I have browsed the galleries a bit and there are many awesome action pics in there. BTW, for those curious about my choice of screen name, the explanation is here: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12716&page=2

I can understand if the mods want to change it, just let me know!

nfpgasmask
03/19/2008, 03:47 PM
Thanks! I have browsed the galleries a bit and there are many awesome action pics in there. BTW, for those curious about my choice of screen name, the explanation is here: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12716&page=2

I can understand if the mods want to change it, just let me know!

I think its funny.

Bart

XtremeAaron
03/22/2008, 05:51 PM
Hey, my name is Aaron, 19 from Ohio. I currently own 2 Rodeos and am a member of PlanetIsuzoo with the same screenname. My frame is rotting out from under me on my Rodeo, the other is my mothers. Over the next couple months im going to continue to drive the rodeo, but its no longer getting modded for wheeling. Would like to purchase a VX within a year, probably around July or August. I have some questions but ill make another thread for them later!

tomdietrying
03/22/2008, 09:18 PM
Welcome Aaron.....good luck with your VX purchase.
Peace.
Tom

hugoart76
03/23/2008, 01:03 AM
From what Ive been reading over the last few weeks, my story is like everybody else's. Saw the VX when it came out in the late nineties, had a bowel movement over the styling and vowed that one day it would be mine! That day has finally arrived. I just drove my 2001 EBONY BLACK VX WITH 60,000 MILES home from the dealership. Its beautiful, such an aggressive looking car.
But I have one problem...
-seriously loud wind, engine fan like noise when I step on the gas. Idles great, shifts gears smoothly, just sound like a jet engine or a mack truck under the hood when you accelerate from a stop light. You guys have any thoughts on this?

The condition of the vehicle was mint, not one scratch, flawless exterior. Interior was as good as I could hope for on a 7 year old car I suppose, not as good as the outside but totally clean and in excellent working order. So I took a leap of faith and bought it, hoping that the car is as clean mechanically as it is cosmetically. Maybe the noise is an easy fix????

I purchased a 3 year full warranty with the car hopefully that will come in handy.

Any words of wisdom for a newbie?

CrnCnn
03/23/2008, 09:00 AM
From what Ive been reading over the last few weeks, my story is like everybody else's. Saw the VX when it came out in the late nineties, had a bowel movement over the styling and vowed that one day it would be mine! That day has finally arrived. I just drove my 2001 EBONY BLACK VX WITH 60,000 MILES home from the dealership. Its beautiful, such an aggressive looking car.
But I have one problem...
-seriously loud wind, engine fan like noise when I step on the gas. Idles great, shifts gears smoothly, just sound like a jet engine or a mack truck under the hood when you accelerate from a stop light. You guys have any thoughts on this?

The condition of the vehicle was mint, not one scratch, flawless exterior. Interior was as good as I could hope for on a 7 year old car I suppose, not as good as the outside but totally clean and in excellent working order. So I took a leap of faith and bought it, hoping that the car is as clean mechanically as it is cosmetically. Maybe the noise is an easy fix????

I purchased a 3 year full warranty with the car hopefully that will come in handy.

Any words of wisdom for a newbie?

Welcome, there are many words of wisdom on this site. Get comfortable with the search function, it is very helpful in finding info you need here on the forum.

Twilightside
03/24/2008, 12:22 PM
Hi all. Just moved to Hawaii and finally got my VX. Been covetous since 2001 even though the price was pretty fair it wasn't till now I found one I couldn't let pass. It only had 20k on it.

It's a 2001 Ebony Black with Grey/Black interior. I call it my Cylon but that liscence plate is taken in HI. I don't have my vin handy.

Anyway, I'm a Submariner in the US Navy. I am very knowledgeable when it comes to auto maintenance and repair, but I hope to learn enough to take care of this thing for a long time.

Cya on the forums.

Kris Andrews
FT1(SS), USN
Pearl Harbor

tom4bren
03/24/2008, 01:01 PM
Twilightside,

Welcome to the addiction. Hope you have many happy years with your dream VX. Also, thanks for your dedication to the Military.

BuxGuy
03/24/2008, 01:05 PM
Welcome Kris and thank you, thank you, thank you for your service!

bozeman
03/25/2008, 02:32 PM
Hi, i am in the process of buying a vx from my unkle. i was not really considering being a two vehicle owner, but he is a great unkle and hooked me up with a deal i could not refuse. i love the little vx and it is so nice to drive a small car around after having to deal with a big diesel four door work truck in town. plus it is a damb fun little car. my vx will need a little tlc to get back to 100% but not a lot. my biggest concern right now is the supercharger has a nasty rattle in it. since i live in bozeman there is not a lot of people that have any experience with superchargers either. i am mechanical in a purely functional role. (think ranch truck) the one guy that people steer me towards is "mikes offroad", he makes some amazing stuff, but i have not had any dealling with him untill today. he seems very knowlegable. but all my eggs are in one basket, so to speak. if he says this is what it is, i have no second oppinion. dynojet is made here, but i hear they do not do anything like what i am needing. but i may be wrong. anyway mike sayes that my bearings are beginning to go, and that the only thing to do is to take it off and send it in< and have it rebuilt. he says that his cost him about $800 to send his in, but it was a different brand. anyway i'd love some feedback, and am very impressed with this forum. it is going to be the best resource i have ever had on any vehicle. thanks justin

tom4bren
03/25/2008, 04:27 PM
Justin,

Welcome. There are several members with S/C. You can start a thread to get better response to your questions. This particular thread is massive already and your question will probably get lost.

I seem to remember some recent discussions about noisy S/C but since I don't have one I didn't really take notice. Spend some time scrolling through the threads or use the search function to try to find some answers while you're waiting on a reply.

Tom

don moore
03/26/2008, 01:12 AM
welcom to the wild side
:jump:

Wylderon
03/31/2008, 04:04 PM
Well Jus thought I would reply in a fashion that a VXer would.......I have a 2000 White and Black Ironman and love it.....fell in love with them the first time i saw one and just had to have one....I have had issues with mine but through forums and other net searching I have been able to correct the issues that arise and press on......Joined the club so I could keep this wonderful (very copied) vehicle in top running order......its funny how everyone that sees this vehicle wants to know what year it is and where can they get one......Just want to keep on making mine better!!!!

Serephin
04/03/2008, 11:31 AM
Hello all I recently purchased Shootah77's 2000 Ebony and relocated it to Seattle.

So far I am loving it.... except for the gas mileage which turns out to be pretty brutal but thats the price I pay for something so unique.

Installing a PC running Centrafuse with Nav, OBDII, Cam for the back, Media, BT car kit etc etc. I will post some pictures when I am done, should be a fun project.

I have already learned a lot here so thank you. Purchased my window brackets just waiting for the how to video!

I look forward to a long run here.

chelo
04/03/2008, 02:07 PM

tom4bren
04/03/2008, 02:14 PM
Hey guys. Welcome to the addiction.

Ldub
04/03/2008, 07:52 PM
Well Jus thought I would reply in a fashion that a VXer would.......I have a 2000 White and Black Ironman and love it.....fell in love with them the first time i saw one and just had to have one....I have had issues with mine but through forums and other net searching I have been able to correct the issues that arise and press on......Joined the club so I could keep this wonderful (very copied) vehicle in top running order......its funny how everyone that sees this vehicle wants to know what year it is and where can they get one......Just want to keep on making mine better!!!!

Hello all I recently purchased Shootah77's 2000 Ebony and relocated it to Seattle.

So far I am loving it.... except for the gas mileage which turns out to be pretty brutal but thats the price I pay for something so unique.

Installing a PC running Centrafuse with Nav, OBDII, Cam for the back, Media, BT car kit etc etc. I will post some pictures when I am done, should be a fun project.

I have already learned a lot here so thank you. Purchased my window brackets just waiting for the how to video!

I look forward to a long run here.

Welcome All...you're gonna love it here.

It's a NASTY addiction, but one well worth nurturing.:smilewink

JHarris1385
04/03/2008, 09:22 PM
Chelo - where or who did you get yours from?

Johnny108
04/04/2008, 11:24 AM
I am new to the VX and am just getting to know its subcultural

chelo
04/04/2008, 11:38 AM
Thanks all for the welcoming!
Mine belonged to Bob (VXtreme) from SLC, Utah.
Is it true that the guy that designed the VX also designed the FX35/45?

kodiak
04/04/2008, 12:35 PM

You have made my VX even rarer in SLC. :bwgy:

altruisticintentions
04/04/2008, 12:36 PM
:eek:
I joined this site recently and have spent many hours reading but not posting. I am new to the VX so I was in the learning phase. The forums here are awesome and the members really go the distance.
I bought my VX in Miami. I live in Daytona Beach. I had planned on taking it to Colorado with me but one week ago a friend was driving it when it over heated. I dont know how long he drove it for but the head is completely warped. So now it seems to be a big risk to put in new head cylinders (not sure I know what that is) at $1400 when I dont know what the extent of the damage is to the block. I am mildly mechanically inclined and probably only know enough to do damage.
Does anyone know a good place to get an engine new or used?
Are there any upgrades I should do considering the extent of this work?
I love my VX and dont wish to get rid of it regardless of Isuzu pulling out.
I apologize for being so ignorant on the vehicle but there is only so much time in the day to invest so any help you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your assistance and I hope I get the chance to reciprocate...

chelo
04/04/2008, 12:41 PM
They are definitely rare. About a week driving it now, and I already had people come to me and ask me, “Who makes it?” or my favorite “Are they available to buy already?” :)

chelo
04/04/2008, 12:45 PM
Forgot to mention, I went to get emissions done, and the VX did not fit in the 4WD/AWD bay, turns out the wheelbase is too short. I asked, how about the Audi TT or Golf GTI AWD, they said that those fit. They ended up doing only a tailpipe test.
I went back to work, I have a friend with a GTI and another one with a TT, and sure enough, the VX’s wheelbase is SHORTER! That is crazy :eek:

Ldub
04/04/2008, 12:47 PM
:eek:
I joined this site recently and have spent many hours reading but not posting. I am new to the VX so I was in the learning phase. The forums here are awesome and the members really go the distance.
I bought my VX in Miami. I live in Daytona Beach. I had planned on taking it to Colorado with me but one week ago a friend was driving it when it over heated. I dont know how long he drove it for but the head is completely warped. So now it seems to be a big risk to put in new head cylinders (not sure I know what that is) at $1400 when I dont know what the extent of the damage is to the block. I am mildly mechanically inclined and probably only know enough to do damage.
Does anyone know a good place to get an engine new or used?
Are there any upgrades I should do considering the extent of this work?
I love my VX and dont wish to get rid of it regardless of Isuzu pulling out.
I apologize for being so ignorant on the vehicle but there is only so much time in the day to invest so any help you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your assistance and I hope I get the chance to reciprocate...

You should start a seperate thread on this topic for better results.
Not everyone reads this thread every time there is a new post.

FWIW, I think Tone (use search) has a set of heads for sale, but it's been a while since I heard that.

nfpgasmask
04/04/2008, 01:33 PM

I'm not sure about the FX35, but I am pretty sure the same designer is behind the Nissan Murano, but don't quote me on that...

Bart

Bee Sting
04/07/2008, 01:49 PM
Hi Everyone,

Recently grabbed a 2001 Proton out of New Jersey. It's new home is in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. I have not seen another one here.

69k miles, 0643

Changed tires to Kumho 255/55R18 and put Trooper face plates on the tach and speedo to get km/hr marking as required for Canadian importation along with daytime running lights.

I will be watching oil consumption!

Anyone know the history on this one?

Bond

tom4bren
04/07/2008, 02:25 PM
I don't but you may be able to find something using the search function.

Welcome to the adiction.

taylorRichie
04/14/2008, 06:36 AM
2000, Kaiser Silver, 47,500 miles

New Home Ogden Utah.

Looking forward to learning from everyone!

Immediate mods planned.

Line-x / Rhino Line all the cladding matching as close to possible to the stock color.

And a Hitch... Still haven't figured out which route I'll go on that, probably a custom hidden job.

tom4bren
04/14/2008, 07:48 AM
Welcome to the addiction.

Tone sells a hidden hitch (at least he used to).

http://www.tonemonday.com/vxparts.html

KaNGiX
04/14/2008, 07:55 AM
Welcome.

tom4bren - Used the search feature to see if i could find my production number. Got 4 hits. All your posts containing 1134. lol

tom4bren
04/14/2008, 09:46 AM
Sorry 'bout that. I guess you got one 1134 of a ride.

Greasemonkey
04/14/2008, 12:34 PM
Hi Guys i am just about to buy my first VX
its jap import but has only ever been used in the UK
its the smaller 3.2 but same HP as the US ones
i wondered if anyone could tell me what to watch out for when buying a used VX
i have a choice of four to choose from and really love the dark metallic green one
cheers
Steve

Solitude
04/15/2008, 08:19 PM
Hi Guys i am just about to buy my first VX
its jap import but has only ever been used in the UK
its the smaller 3.2 but same HP as the US ones
i wondered if anyone could tell me what to watch out for when buying a used VX
i have a choice of four to choose from and really love the dark metallic green one
cheers
Steve

Steve, there are alot of newbies this month.. check out this thread... there is alot of good info

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=13307

and welcome
Jeff

JRSOBX
04/23/2008, 02:13 PM
Hello folks. My name is Jason and I live on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. I'm near Hatteras, Nags Head, Kitty Hawk, Duck, Corolla, etc. I'm interested in getting a VX. I had a lot of questions but I found all the answers (so far) by using the search. :bwgy: So thanks!!

My main problem with finding a VX is that I'm in a fairly remote area and most shippers don't really want to come all the way out here. I am out of the way no matter where you are going...unless you are going to Ocracoke. I might have to fly somewhere and drive one back but I've been pretty busy lately and might not have the time.

I also have a short attention span so I might forget all about the VX and be onto something else in a week!! What was I saying? :eek:

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say thanks to all that answered my questions before I even asked them.

-JRS

Ldub
04/23/2008, 03:00 PM
Hello folks. My name is Jason and I live on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. I'm near Hatteras, Nags Head, Kitty Hawk, Duck, Corolla, etc. I'm interested in getting a VX. I had a lot of questions but I found all the answers (so far) by using the search. :bwgy: So thanks!!

My main problem with finding a VX is that I'm in a fairly remote area and most shippers don't really want to come all the way out here. I am out of the way no matter where you are going...unless you are going to Ocracoke. I might have to fly somewhere and drive one back but I've been pretty busy lately and might not have the time.

I also have a short attention span so I might forget all about the VX and be onto something else in a week!! What was I saying? :eek:

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say thanks to all that answered my questions before I even asked them.

-JRS

WELCOME...I think I can speak for the majority of the clan in saying Thank You, for having the good sense to use the search function & find the answers to questions that have been asked a thousand times...:rolleyesg

How Refreshing!:thumbup:

JRSOBX
04/23/2008, 03:29 PM
WELCOME...I think I can speak for the majority of the clan in saying Thank You, for having the good sense to use the search function & find the answers to questions that have been asked a thousand times...:rolleyesg

How Refreshing!:thumbup:

I'm a real estate appraiser and spend way too much time on appraisersforum. I feel that pain with the same questions over and over again!!

But...you are very welcome!! HA!

10spro
05/19/2008, 01:14 PM
I have always liked the look of the VX and I finally bought one last week.Mine is a 99 silver and only has 79k miles.I need to do a few things to fix it up and i am looking forward to searching the forum for advice.I think isuzu makes great suv's and this is our 3rd Isuzu. My wife drives our 98 Rodeo and I could tell form her actions when I brought this VX home that she is hoping to take it over but she is out of luck at least for a while.

snowtrooper1966
05/19/2008, 02:46 PM
Welcome!
You will find a wealth of information here and alot of great people!
Enjoy the ride and don't let your wife have it, (unless you are "in the mood")!
Best,
James

Woodsman
05/21/2008, 10:14 AM
I've had this v-cross for over a year now. Have decided to keep it! - yes, it's magic.
Jap spec model, 1st reg jan 2000 so 1999 model.
Was overtaken by one some time ago and was impressed- was driving a 4l Cherokee at the time, after having an S10 Blazer for many years. Found out what it was and then found this site. It took some time but I eventually managed to buy one. A major op and two major holidays have slowed my response
Ok, it had been messed about with but I love it. Have removed rear seat, fitted Curt tow bar and refinished the mirrors (had fire damage?) but paint hasn't lasted well. Now needs new egr valve , and yes the windows stick. And the previous owner removed the rear shocks and replaced them with something or other. Plus the rear view camera has packed up!! Oh well.....
Think I will stick with it though- it's such fun to drive and nobody knows what it is.

Excellent site, by the way.

Woodsman
05/21/2008, 10:14 AM
I've had this v-cross for over a year now. Have decided to keep it! - yes, it's magic.
Was overtaken by one some time ago and was impressed- was driving a 4l Cherokee at the time, after having an S10 Blazer for many years. Found out what it was and then found this site. It took some time but I eventually managed to buy one. A major op and two major holidays have slowed my response.
Ok, it had been messed about with but I love it. Have removed rear seat, fitted Curt tow bar and refinished the mirrors (had fire damage?) but paint hasn't lasted well. Now needs new egr valve , and yes the windows stick. And the previous owner removed the rear shocks and replaced them with something or other. Plus the rear view camera has packed up!! Oh well.....
Think I will stick with it though- it's such fun to drive and nobody knows what it is.

kodiak
05/21/2008, 10:28 AM
Was overtaken by one some time ago and was impressed- was driving a 4l Cherokee at the time, after having an S10 Blazer for many years. Found out what it was and then found this site. It took some time but I eventually managed to buy one. A major op and two major holidays have slowed my response.

Welcome! Its cool to have another member from the UK. :_beer:

alanbradley
05/25/2008, 12:06 PM
Welcome! Its cool to have another member from the UK. :_beer:

Too right! Welcome Woodsman!

A

Eggbertherbert
06/02/2008, 05:05 AM
Hello all,

Newbie here from the UK, found the site after recommendation from the former owner of my VX.
Great work all, looking forward to filling up my working hours reading all the posts.:bwgy:

EBHB

Ldub
06/02/2008, 05:23 AM
Welcome EBHB...:thumbup:

I think you'll find our little group of weeirdo's to be fun to hang out with,,,:naughty:

About 95% of the most common questions can be answered in sixty seconds or less by using the search function.:smilewink

The other 5% your new family will be glad to help you with...:thumbup:

cyronman
06/02/2008, 05:47 AM
Yeah, welcome!

BLUE VX, huh?

tom4bren
06/02/2008, 07:06 AM
David Wiltshire has a pic of his blue VX in his gallery. Pretty sharp.

Solitude
06/02/2008, 01:12 PM
Yeah, welcome!

BLUE VX, huh?

JDM's had all kinds of coloring

snowtrooper1966
06/02/2008, 01:22 PM
I think he may have been making reference to the imfamous missing blue SoCal VX, not knowing the poster was from overseas?
Best,

cyronman
06/02/2008, 01:41 PM
Just jumped the gun. Sorry.
Did NOT notice this VX was overseas.
:o

kodiak
06/02/2008, 02:39 PM
All the UK VXers need to put together a little meet right here....:clap:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/download.php?Number=838400&t=k&om=1

ronnieb
06/05/2008, 02:09 PM
Just joined today. I need to ask one question. My soon-to-be 1999 Ironman VX has 109k on it. What can I expect? I hear of bearing and O-ring problems in the 3.5. Just hype-Any experiences? Anybody with over 200k in thier VX? Let me know if you can!!!!
Ron

tom4bren
06/05/2008, 02:24 PM
Ronnie,

Welcome to the addiction. Check out this thread (there are others too):

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=13307

Spike & etlsport are trying to get together a mini-meet in your area. Check the calendar. Good opportunity to learn much.

etlsport
06/05/2008, 08:23 PM
ronnie, welcome! is that the ironman that was listed on craigslist? i emailed back and forth with the seller a couple time about this site, don't know if he ever posted it up for sale here, but glad you found the site!

you should definitely try to make it out to the meet on the 20th.. then we will have a 99, 00, and 01 there heh.. and even if you dont have your vx by then you should still come out and check ou the nice cars and we can talk VX

ronnieb
06/09/2008, 07:50 PM
Yep-got it today. Never saw one except for today. Traded him even up for a 2002 Freelander w/75k on it. It was new with lower miles but I dare to be different! Looking forward to adding some cool stuff on.

don moore
06/10/2008, 12:12 AM
welcome you poor soul you........lol..;)

etlsport
06/10/2008, 05:28 AM
awesome! cant wait to see it next friday

taylorRichie
06/10/2008, 07:36 AM
Welcome!! I bought one 2 months ago...

And my to date cost not counting the vehicle itself is: $6050.05

In fairness that includes gas, and tools I purchased to work on the VX :D Good luck!!

BTW none of my "worked on" was repairs (with the exception of driver's side window bracket) the rest was mods.

kodiak
06/10/2008, 10:17 AM
Yep-got it today. Never saw one except for today. Traded him even up for a 2002 Freelander w/75k on it. It was new with lower miles but I dare to be different! Looking forward to adding some cool stuff on.

Well you definitely traded up. I’ve heard so many bad things about the Freelander are they true?

MarjieJ
06/10/2008, 02:54 PM
Hi All,

I had my vehicross since July 2007 and I love everything about my VX. I actually stumble across this car by accident. I was trying to qualify for a newer car, a Pontiac Gram Am. When I couldn't qualify for it. I was told I only qualified for a 1999 or older. They brought me ever 1999 dump they could find on the lot. Right when I was about to get my money back and leave they hooked me up with the VX. It was love at first sight. Even the dealer was jealous selling me the car. He gave me all the info about the limited editions and there was even a website for owners to celebrate the wonders of this car. I'm not sure if this is the website, but I'm glad to meet others that share our love for the VX.

Marjie

crager34
06/10/2008, 03:32 PM
Been on here since December 2003 and just noticed I didn't introduce myself.

Darrin here and I was born (1965) and raised in Denver, CO. Went to Kansas City back in late 2003 to buy my first VX. Moved out to Ohio in 2004 for work and in late 2005, had an accident and totaled the VX. Went to Rhode Island and bought my second one, the one I have know. I live now in Moab, UT, just move here Feb. 08.

Have a 21 year old Marine, a dog named Juba, and welcome anyone for a vist.

Solitude
06/11/2008, 09:56 AM

Good deal.. those freelanders where fUUUGHly

rx7tt95
06/14/2008, 07:01 AM
I might as well RE-introduce myself since I've been off the board for some time and out of the VX too. Bought our VX back in 2001, dealer had bought it to "speculate" and when that didn't work out, we bought it off of him (it's a 99 and hadn't been registered).

I'm a journalist/photojournalist by trade and for me, this was, and still is in many ways, the perfect vehicle for the job. Unfortunately, my wife, who was driving our RX7 daily a short distance, decided SHE wanted to drive the VX. Ok, maybe I wanted to drive the 7 a bit more.

So we swapped. I slid the RX7 into a racecar/weekend warrior slot and picked up an Evo as a daily driver. My wife continued to drive the VX up to 122,000 miles when a new job also landed her a company car and a gas card. So the VX sat.

In February, she was diagnosed with cancer at 32 years of age and we decided, at that point, to make a few drastic changes. I put two of my loves up for sale, the RX7 and Evo, and decided I'd drive the VX again since we own it outright. It holds a bit more stuff than the RX7. The evo's probably been the best all-around car I've ever owned simply based on the fun to drive factor. It's stupid looking but dynamically, it's a fantastic ride. I'll miss her. She'll be on her way to Germany and a new owner soon.

Yeah, gas mileage sucks and the VX is what she used to be but overall the car is still going strong. We have the usual window issues (both sides), some rust is now showing in spots, cladding looks like crap (fixed that earlier this week), headlights fog over so I have to polish them periodically, wife managed to do the leather steering wheel in, CD changer took a dump, the shocks are probably gone and it has a nice oil leak.

But the transmission and engine seem to be solid. I'm actually sitting at a tranny shop where I'm having the transmission and diff fluids changed right now. I can probably fix the oil leak. It still drives very well despite the shocks.

I've since swapped over my stereo system, polished the headlights and done a bit of R&R on the cladding. I plan on fixing the oil leak, installing new shocks and possibly a set of 18" wheels and tires. I have an aftermarket intake on her and that'll probably be swapped over for the OEM air intake/filter for gas mileage purposes. I also plan on doing a bit of exhaust work. I'm sure those cats aren't looking too pretty at 122K.

So I'm back for at least a few more years. I figure I'll hit pretty close to 150K by the end of the year given my job description and past yearly mileage rates. Strangely, or maybe not so strangely, I was really looking forward to driving the VX again. I'm pretty happy with it.
Michel

tomdietrying
06/14/2008, 07:44 AM
Once in the family......you're stuck with the family. Welcome back!!!:)
Peace.
Tom

Ldub
06/14/2008, 08:05 AM
Once in the family......you're stuck with the family. Welcome back!!!:)
Peace.
Tom

(thread jack ON...) You hear that BIJU ??? :smilewink...:naughty: (thread jack OFF)

And yes, Welcome Back, to the finest automotive enthusiast forum on the web...BAR NONE !:thumbup:

workmeistr
06/15/2008, 05:26 PM
:bwgy: Hi, Folks,
I've been a lurker on VehiCROSS.info for about a year and I joined last December while we were looking at a local Proton.

I have previously owned mostly British cars (8 Land Rovers, MGB, Rover SD1, Rover Mini). I have restored most of the older ones, and I keep them for about three years. We're moving from California to Nebraska this December (Army), and I was thinking I need another 4wd.

If you know Land Rovers, we have had: ’72 88” SW, ’65 109” SW, ’90 Rangie, ’97 Disco XD, ’91 Rangie GDE, ’61 V8 Coiler Hybrid, ’03 Disco TreK, and currently, a ’93 Rangie LWB.

I drove a Proton VX new off the lot for a test drive back in 2001 in Colorado Springs. We did a little off-roading with it and got it stuck (our fault). We returned it at night so they couldn't see the mud in the wheel wells. Last year there was a Proton in Santa Cruz and we checked it out. It had paint work (strike one), and the plastic cladding had turned an uneven grey (strike two). Beyond that, it was over-priced (you’re out…).

Anyway, I just bought David Dorado’s Foxfire with 59K miles and we are meeting him tomorrow to pick it up.

I’m an Army Information Operations (PSYOPs, Civil Affairs, Public Affairs, etc.) Major. I’ve been in the Army 21 years and I’m currently attending Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, CA.

I look forward to being involved in the forums to the best of my relatively novice VX expertise. Thanks in advance for all of the stupid questions that you may feel inclined to respond to. Bren.

Moosewilks
06/15/2008, 06:37 PM
Hey Everyone! This is my first Post. My name is Jeff. I Live in Michigan. I found my VX last November just by "right place, right time.":bwgy: I wasn't even looking for a vehicle. I still have my Tahoe, it's sitting now because of the $4.20/gal. Gas Prices.

This VX was sitting in a back lot of this dealership. The owner said it was his new neighbors that moved here from Colorado. I asked to look it over. He said to come back the next day so he had time to shine it up.

I think I drove it for 5-minutes. Went back to the dealership and paid the man. It was that quick! I was SOLD! These things are real head-turners. But more than that they are a blast to drive. I have never been asked so much about a vehicle before.

I have people asking me what dealership they could buy it from. I told them, "you can't!" They always say, "What do you mean, I can't?!" I tell them it's 8-years old....I've been called a LIAR and a JERK! They say it can't be 8-years old, it looks brand new and we've never seen one of these before.

I giggle and smile for a bit. Then I show them my Registration and watch their jaws drop.

This is truely WAY ahead of it's time.

I look forward to continue to add MODS to my vehicle, and using the previous and current Threads for ideas and help with installs. Thanks for any and all support.

From what I've read, and there is alot more to read, you guys rock with information and ideas. I'm looking forward to finding and upgrading parts as soon as I can find them and can afford them!

etlsport
06/16/2008, 07:25 AM
Hey Everyone! This is my first Post. My name is Jeff. I Live in Michigan. I found my VX last November just by "right place, right time.":bwgy: I wasn't even looking for a vehicle. I still have my Tahoe, it's sitting now because of the $4.20/gal. Gas Prices.

This VX was sitting in a back lot of this dealership. The owner said it was his new neighbors that moved here from Colorado. I asked to look it over. He said to come back the next day so he had time to shine it up.

I think I drove it for 5-minutes. Went back to the dealership and paid the man. It was that quick! I was SOLD! These things are real head-turners. But more than that they are a blast to drive. I have never been asked so much about a vehicle before.

I have people asking me what dealership they could buy it from. I told them, "you can't!" They always say, "What do you mean, I can't?!" I tell them it's 8-years old....I've been called a LIAR and a JERK! They say it can't be 8-years old, it looks brand new and we've never seen one of these before.

I giggle and smile for a bit. Then I show them my Registration and watch their jaws drop.

This is truely WAY ahead of it's time.

I look forward to continue to add MODS to my vehicle, and using the previous and current Threads for ideas and help with installs. Thanks for any and all support.

From what I've read, and there is alot more to read, you guys rock with information and ideas. I'm looking forward to finding and upgrading parts as soon as I can find them and can afford them!

welcome! congrats on your purchase.. sounds similar to how i got mine.. admired them for years.. was looking for a honda accord... saw one on the honda lot.. drove it about 2 miles.. came back and wrote em a check

drowd
06/21/2008, 10:31 PM
Hi all,

Based on the thread title, I'm not sure I qualify for these forums because I seem to lack a fairly important piece of the puzzle: a VehiCROSS. However, I DO have a Subaru, so perhaps the AWD can be a common ground of sorts? :) In any event, I am currently in the market for a VX and I have been trying to learn as much as I can about the vehicle as I can.

I have already begun my search for used vehicles including the usual locations: craigslist, autotrader, etc. It seems that they go for mid-5000's on the low end (usually with wear and tear) and up to 10k on the high end. When the VX originally came out, I was extremely interested, but at the time it seemed to be fairly cost prohibitive. However, this is a perfect price for a car that seems like it should be worth a lot more.

I have probably already said more than I should for an "Introductions" thread, but it seems like the forum layout is tailored more towards folks that are already lucky enough to own a VX, so I'm still trying to make my way around the forums so that I can learn as much as a I can.

Anyway, I hope to soon be a part of your club and you will hopefully see me around in the meantime and beyond!

snowtrooper1966
06/21/2008, 11:09 PM
Welcome!
You won't find a better place to learn what to expect B4 U buy, or a nicer, more informed bunch of vehicle owners than right here!
There are alot of VX's up for sale right now with the gas prices in the state they are. It's a buyer's market, so be patient, and the right VX will make an apperance.
Best of luck!
James W Barron

snowtrooper1966
06/21/2008, 11:19 PM
Oh, yea.
Be prepared to travel or have the VX shipped when you do find the right one. I shipped my Dragon from New Jersey to California for around 1500 bucks. Owners here on this site are all over the country, so you might be able to talk one of them into checking out a potential buy for you. Who better than a current owner to give it a once over?
Best,

drowd
06/21/2008, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the advice, I will definitely keep that in mind. There are a couple that I currently have my eye on right now, so I may ask around so I don't have to make a trip all the way up from Texas.

So, did I read correctly that folks go out to Moab in a huge caravan? I saw a couple pictures and that looks like tons of fun! Is that normally once a year?

Thanks for the welcome!

workmeistr
06/22/2008, 06:52 AM
Hi, Drowd,
There are presently five Vehicrosses on Denver Craigslist. I would think shipping to Houston would be $800-$1000. Even if a seller is set on the price, they often may split shipping. A couple claim nice condition with reasonable prices. I just got a 60K mile, one-owner Foxfire for $10K. That's normal for a nice condition stock, IMHO. Nice and lots of mods (for instance, I'll never have a chance for VXC skid plates), up to $14K. The less-than-$10K are hit or miss for mileage/condition. Definately obtain good pictures of paint and cladding condition, seats, engine bay and chassis pics. VX's raised in rust states or often put-away-wet, achieve a nice rusty chassis patina. Not a big deal per-say, but get good pictures; seats with big bolsters get scraped easily. Good luck. I searched for six months to find one somewhat close to me. I wanted to see mine in person, but it's not necessary if you and the seller have shared lots of information.

http://denver.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=vehicross

KING FROG
06/25/2008, 06:56 PM
Finally got one. Today. Its a dragon green 2000.

Just sayin' hello and I have VX #0232. I hope I can keep it alive for a few more years. This site is great.

King Frog

snowtrooper1966
06/25/2008, 08:20 PM
Welcome and nice color choice!
Milage and price details?
Pictures, please!
Best,

KING FROG
06/26/2008, 05:06 AM
Oh, I will get pics...soon....It has 104,000 and it cost me 7,500 smackers. I did get a 6month warranty though!
It seems to run great! I love the way it rides.
I will get some pics up here soon...

keepercoach
06/27/2008, 08:03 AM
hey, My name is Chris and I have a 99 silver VX with a few mods including cup holders out of a 99 Trooper, flow master w/dual exhaust, charcoal painted 16" rodeo wheels, micheline X radial LT 10 ply, yakima basket, westin foglight bar, mustang fog lights, satelite radio, titanium reflective smoke tint, and a calimini cone. I will have some pics posted soon, it has some dings and scratches especially the hood from where idiots press the hood shut but it still turns heads.:cool:

Jim Jessup
06/29/2008, 09:32 AM
Hello all,
I'm Jim Jessup and I'm from San Diego CA.
Was ready to go out and buy one of these beauties this weekend.Well, until I used this great forum to find that I may not be able to tow the VX( without major mods).
Please help me!! I've seen the VX for years and never got close enough to see who made it! Now I did and now I can't have one! Whaa!

Jim

Ldub
06/29/2008, 10:05 AM
Hello all,
Was ready to go out and buy one of these beauties this weekend.Well, until I used this great forum to find that I may not be able to tow the VX( without major mods).
Please help me!! I've seen the VX for years and never got close enough to see who made it! Now I did and now I can't have one! Whaa!

Jim

Get a trailer, cowboy up & quit yer cryin' Jim...:smilewink

That's just my own sweet way of saying "Welcome to the addiction".

If you're really in love, you'll find a way to make it work.:thumbup:

nfpgasmask
06/29/2008, 10:25 AM
Hello all,

Jim

Wait, are you trying to "tow the VX" or "tow WITH a VX"?

Bart

Jim Jessup
06/29/2008, 10:47 AM
Well,

Here's what I learned:

1. Vx must be 2001

2. Get Manual Front Hubs ( I'don't know him)

3. Get the Remco Dohicky-Thingy ( I believe that's the correct term) for the rear.

Jim

Ldub
06/29/2008, 11:07 AM
:bwgy: Hi, Folks,
I've been a lurker on VehiCROSS.info for about a year and I joined last December while we were looking at a local Proton.

Anyway, I just bought David Dorado’s Foxfire with 59K miles and we are meeting him tomorrow to pick it up.

I’m an Army Information Operations (PSYOPs, Civil Affairs, Public Affairs, etc.) Major. I’ve been in the Army 21 years and I’m currently attending Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, CA.

I look forward to being involved in the forums to the best of my relatively novice VX expertise. Thanks in advance for all of the stupid questions that you may feel inclined to respond to. Bren.

:cool:Welcome to the family, & congratulations on having the foresight to be a contributing member right from the beginning...that's class!:thumbup:

djvx
06/29/2008, 08:54 PM
I own a 2001 Vehicross. 56K

tom4bren
06/30/2008, 03:45 PM
You a new member or a new owner?

Donna matta - Welcome.

Pepino
06/30/2008, 04:06 PM
i live in milwuakee too finally a new member from wisconsin i thought i was the only active member!

wzmzpt
07/01/2008, 10:40 AM
Hi, I have been a huge VX fan for years; I just bought a 1999 Ironman edition with 80K. I would like to know if I could get some recomendations or references for the best non-dealer shop that any of the members know of in the St. Louis, Missouri or central Missouri (Columbia or Jefferson City area). I know I will be looking at a timing belt/tensioner/water pump replacement in the near future and I was hoping someone here could refer to a non-dealer shop that does dependable, reasonable work. Thanks!

tom4bren
07/01/2008, 10:42 AM
A buddy lives in your area (FLW). I'll ask if he knows of any.

He's on vacation right now - hope I remember to ask when he returns.

nfpgasmask
07/01/2008, 10:46 AM
Hi, I have been a huge VX fan for years; I just bought a 1999 Ironman edition with 80K. I would like to know if I could get some recomendations or references for the best non-dealer shop that any of the members know of in the St. Louis, Missouri or central Missouri (Columbia or Jefferson City area). I know I will be looking at a timing belt/tensioner/water pump replacement in the near future and I was hoping someone here could refer to a non-dealer shop that does dependable, reasonable work. Thanks!

Well, I don't know how far it is from you, but you have one of the best joints in your home state!

http://www.stcharlesauto.com/

Bart

clive goodridge
07/02/2008, 04:16 PM
Hi, although I'm a car dealer in the UK I truly am a big fan of the VX, hence joining 'info'. I've owned mine, a '98 JDM, since Nov 2005, sold 4 & still have 4 more to sell (JDM & US). I've fitted to mine; US leather, nose bra, fangs, fr/dummy sump guard, roof rack+deflector & 18" Chromes. I've kept the standard shocks as they make it far more precise on the road, if a little harsh so what? I just wish they'd made the VX-02, still perhaps I'll try converting 1 of mine?

PeterLennard
07/08/2008, 06:35 AM
Hi everyone, I am a Dutchman living in the UK. Saw a Vehicross a few years back and wanted one ever since. I bought one that needs a bit of love and a bit of work, but nothing major, I think. Picked it up on Sunday and look forward to getting it out on the road!

talk to you soon!

Peer

tom4bren
07/08/2008, 08:38 AM
Welcome Peter.

Caution: VX modifications can be habit forming.

don moore
07/08/2008, 10:27 AM
w el c o m e ........ to the madness:smilegray

OHVX'er
07/08/2008, 11:50 AM
Hello everyone. My name is Rick and I live in Ohio. I have been looking around for a 4 wheel drive to putt around in and stumbled across a pic of the VX on the web. Thats all it took. I tried doing a little recearch on the VX and everything I read sounded good. I searched all around for one and the only one I could find to look at (see in person) was at a car lot little ways away from me. So I went up there and took her for a spin. The VX was pretty well faded out and they wanted to much for it. So I kept looking and stumbled onto this website. Been lurking around for about a week now. The way you guys speak about yours made me feel that I had to have one for sure now. So I bought one off of ebay. So now I have to wait for all the papperwork to go through and and have to have it shipped from Arizona. I'm sure I will have some questions once it gets here. Thats about all. Look forward to speaking with you. Looks like you have a great group of members here.

So-CalVX
07/08/2008, 11:55 AM
welcome to the addiction
nice color choice BTW:)

OHVX'er
07/08/2008, 12:04 PM
Thank you. It kinda chose me though.:) It kept calling out to me.
I must of clicked the link about a hundered times to look at it.

tom4bren
07/08/2008, 12:21 PM
I'll second the choice on color.

Now just lift her 3" & put on some wheels with 'offset from hell' & you'll have a friend for life (JK - I like being unique).

BTW - I bought mine 'sight unseen' from a guy in MO last year so I know what you're going through on the waiting game.

OHVX'er
07/08/2008, 12:41 PM
It was hard buying it without even hearing it run. They had alot of pics of it and it looked really clean. The dealer said it ran like a top

kodiak
07/08/2008, 03:29 PM
You just purchased a new family member, congratulations!
Most of use had to fly and drive back, at least most of the next gen VXer’s did.:p

It was hard buying it without even hearing it run. They had alot of pics of it and it looked really clean. The dealer said it ran like a top

OHVX'er
07/09/2008, 12:37 PM
I put a few pics up in the gallery. Maybe it was a members former truck. Would love to know a little history on it. Somebody put alot of extra's on her. Wouldn't let me show the interior pics, said I exceded my limit.
Can't wait for it to get here.

kodiak
07/09/2008, 12:56 PM
Nice proton! Was that the one on eBay? Looks like its had some quality mods done to it.
I don’t know if I like the battery in the back thing but it does look sportier.:p

I put a few pics up in the gallery. Maybe it was a members former truck. Would love to know a little history on it. Somebody put alot of extra's on her. Wouldn't let me show the interior pics, said I exceded my limit.
Can't wait for it to get here.

OHVX'er
07/09/2008, 12:58 PM
Yes it was the one on ebay. Couldn't find one local.

Solitude
07/15/2008, 02:36 PM
Thats a very nice Proton, I was gonna go look at it the next time I was home (today).. congrats

twistedsymphony
07/18/2008, 08:26 AM
Hello... I recently put a deposit on a 1999 Silver VX... I should be picking it up in a week or so (some minor repairs are getting done).

I believe I purchased it from a member here named Pete.

My Story:
The first time I saw a VX was at the mall in 1998. I was getting ready to buy my second car soon and I thought it looked AWESOME... unfortunately it was out of my budget and I ended up getting a new Cherokee Sport instead.

http://solid-orange.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/jeepside.jpg

I owned the Cherokee for 3 years, then in 2002 the WRX had just been released I test drove one and I really liked it so I bought... I owned that car for 5 years.... it was very good to me, I dropped thousands into modifications and got into motorsports as well (Auto-X, TSD Rallys, etc.)

http://solid-orange.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/front2.jpg

After graduating college I decided that I really wanted a RWD sports car but I also needed a 4x4 for the winter months (up here in NH). I was enamored with lifted Toyotas so I bought a lifted 94 pickup and some time later I sold the WRX, after which I began my hunt for my light RWD car... and ended up buying TWO Nissan 240SXs (thats a long story for another day).

http://solid-orange.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/front1.jpg

After owning the black pickup for nearly a year (I bought it in 06) it started having engine problems, I also needed some money at the time, so with a very heavy heart I sold my pickup and financed a white 99 Tacoma last fall. It wasn't the same but it was a good little truck.

http://solid-orange.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/tacoma_front.jpg

Then a couple of months ago a co-worker alerted me to Toyota's frame rust "program". If you're not familiar with this, apparently Toyota is buying back 95-00 Tacomas that have dangerous frame damage due to rust. So I brought my truck in and they gave me an offer I couldn't refuse. it would not only pay off my loan but give me enough to bank-roll a new truck outright.

I started looking at older Toyotas again, but the market was really crummy, lots of "project" vehicles but nothing as nice as the trucks I had owned in the past.

My re-introduction to the Vehicross
Then I saw a listing for Vehicross near me (~3hour drive) I remembered the one from the mall years ago and how cool I thought it was so I started doing research... I found this forum read through the Wikipedia article etc. I was getting really excited and the one for sale was a reasonable price as well. I called the owner and it sounded nice... BUT I still didn't have my check from Toyota so I had no money to buy it. Before I knew it the VX had dissappeared. I decided to stop teasing myself and just NOT LOOK for anything until I had money to buy (this was for a winter vehicle anyway so I was in no rush).

After getting my check from Toyota the market seemed bleak, all of the 94 and older Toyota pickups were picked over, and all of the 01 and newer Tacomas were going for big money. I test drove another Cherokee but I just didn't have any love for it... I considered a Nissan pickup but couldn't find any that weren't just rotted to garbage.

I eventually just threw a wanted ad up on Craigslist with the features I was looking for and some suggestions for vehicles I'd consider... I chuckled to myself when I added "Isuzu Vehicross" to the list of cars I would like to buy.

I had never driven or even sat in a VX before so I wasn't about to head across the country to buy a vehicle that I wasn't even sure that I'd actually like, no matter how good it looked on paper, I had pretty much abandoned the idea of owning one.

A stroke of luck
About 3 weeks later I get an email from Pete in response to my CL ad, he has a VX for sale and he's only an hours drive away. :eek: I fire off some questions and ask for pictures, get the VIN and everything looks great. I make an appointment to go test drive it that weekend.

I arrive and see it's kind of dirty and parked under a tree, the cladding is a bit faded , and the headlights are a little cloudy, but there isn't a spot of rust on the body, and the interior is in fantastic shape as well, a little rust on the underside and on a few parts in the engine bay but definitly good shape overall. A true diamond in the rough. It's got no plates and the state inspection sticker is from 2006 but even still the engine fired up immediately as if the thing was still warm. :smilewink

I got in it and I felt right at home... the location of the controls the spacing between the door and the wheel, every thing just felt perfect... I took it down the road and less than a mile I knew I HAD TO HAVE IT... it just clicked... it was exactly what I wanted in nearly every way possible (I would have liked a 5 speed but I can live without it, might make an interesting conversion project next summer)

The brakes were a bit squishy and the muffler had a leak. Pete already had brake parts and said he was going to fix that stuff anyway so I made him an offer that included getting those things fixed gave him a deposit and now I'm anxiously awaiting picking it up.

My 1995 240sx summer sports car:
http://solid-orange.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/240sx_top.jpg

My new 1999 winter truck*:
http://solid-orange.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/vx-7.jpg

*with the occasional off-road/camping excursion

kodiak
07/18/2008, 08:42 AM
Nice, Welcome! You have an excellent taste in vehicles. The Cherokee is one of the best off road SUVs you can buy. They even have a class for it in the Baja 500. WRX, the car that was brought to the US because of the Playstation2 GT3 game. Very cool!:p

nfpgasmask
07/18/2008, 09:05 AM
I took it down the road and less than a mile I knew I HAD TO HAVE IT... it just clicked... it was exactly what I wanted

I love hearing that. I felt exactly the same way. As soon as I sat down and took off it was a done deal. There were no other vehicles even being considered at that point. I had to have a VX.

Bart

Girlybot
07/18/2008, 09:29 AM
I became obsessed with getting a VX around 2001; any time I saw them I thought, that little Japanese cockpit is exactly what a tiny girl like me needs. But god, who could afford to buy one new? Not me. Once they stopped making them and I was starting to see them show up for under 30 grand online, I patiently bided my time, and after a year of searching I finally found one that I could afford in early 2003. Literally as soon as the guy opened up the door and I smelled the interior and ran my hand over the seats I teared up. I had to have it.

Needless to say, I've had it ever since then and loved every minute of it. Whenever I see another one driving around town, I get so excited. It's like seeing a rare bird or a secret hand signal, you know? I realize that there are a lot of problems with VX's just from personal experience (that window! the key sticking in the ignition!), but then again, when it's your baby and you love it that means it's unconditional, flaws and all, right?

I don't know what I will do when mine finally dies on me. I've got 116k miles on it now, and when I get in the car, I do this little ritual where I pet the steering wheel and tell it how much I love it... lol I know, silly, but still.

I try not to gun it as much these days (but who hasn't let her rip on the highway, especially passing some guy in the slow lane?) but my ex drove it really hard and I'm trying to make it last as long as possible.

I'd give anything for Isuzu to make a new, improved version, but it won't happen. The closest thing I've seen is I believe the RX-7 has similar interior?

My friends call it the Big Shoe, because it looks like my favorite pair of ankle boots. I still think of my VX as my boyfriend, though. He's always there for me.

twistedsymphony
07/18/2008, 09:51 AM
as long as you don't wreck it.. you can always rebuild it ;)

The one I just bought has 114K on it (brand newish transmission and TOD though) and if it only lasts another 20-30K that's fine by me... a good excuse to swap in a better engine... an LS1 with a T-56 6-speed would be awesome (more power and better fuel economy too)...

I like taking a car and making it into something better than when I started.

Especially with rare cars like this you rebuild one that someone else left for dead and you feel like you're giving the breed a new lease on life and keeping them from going extinct.

I've got this winter blocked out to do an engine transplant on my 240sx but I think maybe next summer I'll tear apart the VX piece by piece and strip and refinish everything :D

tom4bren
07/18/2008, 10:01 AM
Sounds like the addiction has reached epidemic proportions. Welcome newbies, we're looking forward to watching your mods & experiences.

Looky at me talkin like an old timer (I've only had mine for 1 1/2 years).:)

LittleBeast
07/18/2008, 10:57 PM
The closest thing I've seen is I believe the RX-7 has similar interior?

Yes, my Mazda RX-8 has a two tone interior that looks as close to the VX interior as you can get in a car. Funny though the RX-8 is easier to get people into the back seat than the VX!!!!!

SYNTHETICDARKNESS
07/29/2008, 10:28 PM
DON'T REALLY KNOW HOW TO TALK ABOUT MYSELF:o, BUT HERE I GO. I FIRST SEEN THE VX DOWN AROUND MY HOME TOWN AND WAS SO AMAZED BY THE LOOKS AND WE COULD NOT FIGURE OUT WHAT IT WAS. MY SCOOBY SVX TOOK A DUMP FOR THE SECOND TIME AND WE DECIDED TO GO LOOK FOR CARS AND THE FIRST LOT WE WENT TO THERE SHE WAS, SO WE TOOK HER FOR A TEST DRIVE AND FELL IN LOVE AND BOUGHT HER FOR ABOUT 7,500 AND HAD I BELIEVE ABOUT 108,000 AND NO FLAWS AT ALL. WELL I THINK THIS IS GOOD FOR NOW.

don moore
07/29/2008, 11:13 PM
welcome to the world of wonder........VX WONDER:smilegray

twistedsymphony
07/30/2008, 09:47 AM
Those SVXs are pretty cool and pretty rare (only ~14K made IIRC)

It seems you have good taste in rare vehicles :)

lasturbo
07/31/2008, 04:19 PM
Hey gang,
My name is Larry and live San Diego North County in a city called Escondido. I remember the VX Concept a long time ago and thought what a cool SUV and so far ahead of its time. I work at the Land Rover dealer and our Porsche dealer took the ol' 1999 in trade and I just happened to walk over their and see it. Nobody was too familiar with it but I recognized it right away. They sold it to me for a "song" and here I am now. Hit the google search and found the gang here and starting my VX journey! Fixing her up little by little but otherwise it is in great shape for 133k. The wifey thinks it is small and wonders why I bought it but still did!! A lot of you have already helped me out in threads and general direction for repairs and finding parts. Thanks to all and looking for a great and rare ownership experience!!:smilewink
Larry
99 VX
89 Range Rover
06 Land Rover LR3

So-CalVX
07/31/2008, 04:34 PM
Sweet. That's how I got mine! (Jus not for a song LOL)
i was working at Honda when some lady decides she wants a CRV instead. So I hid it and bought it.
welcome to the addiction :)

kodiak
07/31/2008, 04:47 PM
Welcome!
Your wife was right you should of purchased a minivan or 4 door sedan, something normal and bereft of passion. Something that would show the world that you’ve given up on your dreams. Now people are going to think you’re bold and mysterious. It just leads to trouble, Trouble I tell you! ;)

Ldub
07/31/2008, 08:10 PM
"Another Larry with an Astral Silver 99 VX" ...:thumbup:

Gotta be one of my most profound quotes, like EVER...:rolleyesg

Welcome to the addiction! :cool:. . . :dance:

lunaticharness
08/01/2008, 06:46 PM
i got a one owner 2001 black with red interior with 40k miles for $10k
freaking awesome!

Pepino
08/02/2008, 11:47 PM
you got a great deal on that VX!! $10K for 40K miles! i paid $11K for a foxfire with 70K miles!
welcome to the addiction!

r6boater
08/21/2008, 04:26 PM
Hey everybody, my name is Kurt. I'm from Terre Haute IN, about an hour west of Indy. I'm seiously looking at buying a VehiCROSS. I'm in the Chemical Demilitarization business. What's that you ask? I am a gov't contractor chemically neutralizing the nerve agent, VX. We just completed our campaign and will be recieving a bonus, therefore I figured it only appropriate to buy a VX with some of this money. Make sense? I think it's justified. I currently own a S-crew f-150 and a MKIV Jetta. The VX would be a fun third vehicle. Well, I guess it would be the fourth since I also have an R1. But still, I'd drive the VX more than I ride my bike now. I have the most rock'n g/f ever and a kicka$$ 8y/o son too who is also into motorcycles.

Like I said, I'm seriously looking and think I have a line on a VX from one of the members on here. (I've been lurking quite a bit) I'll update you all when I get my hands on one. Thanks already for all the great info I've recieved to this point, I'm sure there's still more to come.

nfpgasmask
08/21/2008, 04:40 PM
Hey everybody, my name is Kurt. I'm from Terre Haute IN, about an hour west of Indy. I'm seiously looking at buying a VehiCROSS. I'm in the Chemical Demilitarization business. What's that you ask? I am a gov't contractor chemically neutralizing the nerve agent, VX. We just completed our campaign and will be recieving a bonus, therefore I figured it only appropriate to buy a VX with some of this money. Make sense? I think it's justified. I currently own a S-crew f-150 and a MKIV Jetta. The VX would be a fun third vehicle. Well, I guess it would be the fourth since I also have an R1. But still, I'd drive the VX more than I ride my bike now. I have the most rock'n g/f ever and a kicka$$ 8y/o son too who is also into motorcycles.

Like I said, I'm seriously looking and think I have a line on a VX from one of the members on here. (I've been lurking quite a bit) I'll update you all when I get my hands on one. Thanks already for all the great info I've recieved to this point, I'm sure there's still more to come.

Hey Kurt! Glad you could join. You might appreciate my website:

http://www.gasmasks.net

I was thinking of getting "VX GAS" for my licence plates for a while.

Good luck find a VX!!

Bart

r6boater
08/21/2008, 05:19 PM
Very nice, GasMask. I rock the M40 all day long, slung at least, and have spent countless hours wearing/working in one. I also have an M17 that I bought at a yard sale probably 20yrs ago. My boy likes to carry it around, wear it and scare people.

I almost picked "VXKilla" as a handle for the site, but I've got a couple buddies who have used it for other online things.

I think one of my first mods will be to change the front badge, ala yours, but instead use the yellow circle ith "VX" in the middle like we use at work.

Brochure about my work (http://www.cma.army.mil/fndocumentviewer.aspx?docid=003676463)

Notice the white suits toward the bottom, I have worn that quite a bit too.

Riff Raff
08/22/2008, 07:39 AM
Very nice, GasMask. I rock the M40 all day long, slung at least, and have spent countless hours wearing/working in one. I also have an M17 that I bought at a yard sale probably 20yrs ago. My boy likes to carry it around, wear it and scare people.

I almost picked "VXKilla" as a handle for the site, but I've got a couple buddies who have used it for other online things.

I think one of my first mods will be to change the front badge, ala yours, but instead use the yellow circle ith "VX" in the middle like we use at work.

Brochure about my work (http://www.cma.army.mil/fndocumentviewer.aspx?docid=003676463)

I know just the place for a VX "disposal site". Release/Expose it upon Afganistan & Iraq after all U.S. Forces are pulled out. Problem solved.

nfpgasmask
08/22/2008, 08:39 AM

Very cool what you are doing. Its nice to see us dismantling these facilities. Being a historian in the area of WMD and NBC technoculture for so long, I am avidly opposed to the offensive use, and quite honestly, any sort of "play" with such weapons. I know exactly what VX does, and I have seen old films of VX, Sarin and Soman being tested on goats, and it is simply frightening. I find it hard to believe we have even dabbled with such stuff, but when you look at the big picture (defense of the nation, etc), I suppose we had no choice. Anyway, keep up the good work.

Bart

r6boater
08/22/2008, 09:26 AM
Very cool what you are doing. Its nice to see us dismantling these facilities. Being a historian in the area of WMD and NBC technoculture for so long, I am avidly opposed to the offensive use, and quite honestly, any sort of "play" with such weapons. I know exactly what VX does, and I have seen old films of VX, Sarin and Soman being tested on goats, and it is simply frightening. I find it hard to believe we have even dabbled with such stuff, but when you look at the big picture (defense of the nation, etc), I suppose we had no choice. Anyway, keep up the good work.

Bart

Thanks! I work for the outfit that was in charge of the neutralization of the VX, the plant that produced the VX was torn down about 2 yrs ago. We are just now starting the process of tearing down the neutralization facility.

I've also seen the old goat and pigeon vids as well. They are excellent training videos for why you need to always have your mask with you.

twistedsymphony
08/22/2008, 12:59 PM
wow... cool job, but definitly not for me. :eek:

you ever have to use that antidote on yourself? Do people you work with ever get accidentally contaminated?

This site is a good resource for finding used VXs... definitly check WAY back too... the guy I bought mine from actually contacted ME through a "Want to Buy" ad I placed in Craigslist... but the thing was up for sale here for nearly 2 years.

I know of a few near me, and a few really nice (but expensive) ones a little further out too...

IIRC there is a red one for sale in PA with only 25K miles on it but they want about $15K for it

r6boater
08/22/2008, 07:33 PM
wow... cool job, but definitly not for me. :eek:

you ever have to use that antidote on yourself? Do people you work with ever get accidentally contaminated?

This site is a good resource for finding used VXs... definitly check WAY back too... the guy I bought mine from actually contacted ME through a "Want to Buy" ad I placed in Craigslist... but the thing was up for sale here for nearly 2 years.

I know of a few near me, and a few really nice (but expensive) ones a little further out too...

IIRC there is a red one for sale in PA with only 25K miles on it but they want about $15K for it

No, never had to use the markI kit, no one I know ever has. I'm not sure if you guys are familiair with RIR's (recordable injury rates). It has to do with how much a company pays in Inusrance due to the probablility of a workmans comp claim. Anyway, if you have a 1.0 RIR, you pay X. Anything over 1.0 rir, say 1.2, you pay 1.2X. and so forth, the higher the number for your rir, the higher premiums the company pays. If you are below 1.0 you get a discount. The site I work at currently and for quite awhile now, has the lowest RIR in the ChemDemil industry at .53 RIR. Basically, if you work in an office, you are more than likely to get hurt at work than I am. It's just if something does happen at my work it can be at lot worse. therefore we are SUPER safe.

I have already talked to videoboy, down in Nashville about the one he has for sale.

What does IIRC mean? I've been seeing it around but can't figure it out.

Thanks for the welcome.

Ldub
08/22/2008, 07:36 PM
[QUOTE=r6boater;134472].

QUOTE]

If I Remember Correctly...:cool:

r6boater
08/23/2008, 05:59 AM
[QUOTE=r6boater;134472].

If I Remember Correctly...:cool:

Thanks

magellan
09/04/2008, 07:06 AM
Hiya Guys, My name is Bill from Brisbane Australia, i have bought Moon buggys (David) VX off him yesterday and am so glad to have it after missing out on one i saw earlier in the year ....... he has body and interior modded this to perfection, my tasks will be headers and 2.5 inch twin pipes and an inch lift all round. Just a curious Q? has anybody here tried aftermarket extractors and a lift kit to run 38's like perhaps a super swamper or the like??. I also have a Land Rover S90 tdi lifted and running 35's\

Cheers guys and gals,

Bill

Triathlete
09/04/2008, 08:55 AM
a lift kit to run 38's like perhaps a super swamper or the like??\

Cheers guys and gals,

Bill

Welcome!
Unless you plan on swapping the IFS for a solid axle you are pretty much limited to 33's (and that is with a lot of cladding trimming and liberal use of a BFH). 38's would require the SAS (solid axle swap) and pushing the front axle forward a bit so the tires would clear the firewall.

nfpgasmask
09/04/2008, 11:21 AM
[FONT="Times New Roman"]Hiya Guys, My name is Bill from Brisbane Australia
Bill

Welcome Bill! I hope you enjoy the VX! I am currently working on getting a 1976 XB Falcon Coupe shipped over from Oz about 10 hours south of you!!! I can't wait! A VX and an Aussie Falcon in the garage will be like a dream come true!

Bart

magellan
09/05/2008, 02:11 AM
Welcome Bill! I hope you enjoy the VX! I am currently working on getting a 1976 XB Falcon Coupe shipped over from Oz

Did you get a black GT-351 with the silver pinstriping ??, they were awesome in their day, but OMG they were thirsty !!! I think Ford did a limited run of them in that colour otherwise u got green and yellow and brown:bgwo::bgwo:

Bill

nfpgasmask
09/05/2008, 08:37 AM
Did you get a black GT-351 with the silver pinstriping ??, they were awesome in their day, but OMG they were thirsty !!! I think Ford did a limited run of them in that colour otherwise u got green and yellow and brown:bgwo::bgwo:

Bill

Actually, right now its white (but it will get a nice dark grey/satin black paint job). Its actually a 1976 XC, but it will be fitted with a XB front end. I will also be adding a GT Bonnet and a Mad Max style boot wing, as well as a few custom ideas I have in mind....

magellan
09/05/2008, 10:03 AM
Actually, right now its white (but it will get a nice dark grey/satin black paint job). Its actually a 1976 XC, but it will be fitted with a XB front end. I will also be adding a GT Bonnet and a Mad Max style boot wing, as well as a few custom ideas I have in mind....

Hmmm.... 4 barrel holleys, extractors, twin 3 inch pipes with NO cats, a BIG blower to go up thru the bonnet scoop, a Borgwarner 9 inch rear diff, and those hardend steel axles that dont shear off when you stick some grunt into it at a red light !!! ....... that 351big block tuned on a dyno with a blower will leave ppl speechless and blind cos all they will be able to see thru the haze of burning rubber is nothing !!!!!! , i'd love to see the pics when you get it started, i'll trade you some pics of a red GT 351 XY falcon that i have.:bgwb:

nfpgasmask
09/05/2008, 10:08 AM
Hmmm.... 4 barrel holleys, extractors, twin 3 inch pipes with NO cats, a BIG blower to go up thru the bonnet scoop, a Borgwarner 9 inch rear diff, and those hardend steel axles that dont shear off when you stick some grunt into it at a red light !!! ....... that 351big block tuned on a dyno with a blower will leave ppl speechless and blind cos all they will be able to see thru the haze of burning rubber is nothing !!!!!! , i'd love to see the pics when you get it started, i'll trade you some pics of a red GT 351 XY falcon that i have.:bgwb:

Absolutely, mate! We can even help eachother with parts (US VX stuff and Aussie Falcon stuff). I think I will need to change the diff out to a 9" when I get it as well, but I am not sure if my guy over there is gonna swap it for me or not. Its gonna need some body work, I know there are some rust areas, but I want it to look rugged so I am not too worried. If my guy doesn't get on the stick I might have to send you down there to Heatherbrae to stick your boot in his boot!!! :)

Bart

PK
09/06/2008, 07:02 PM
Hi Magellan, good to see another Aussie on the site.
I am in Hobart Tassie and been driving the Beast for about 8 months.
Still get a buzz every time I get behind the wheel.
Nice to see you have upgraded from the Chooktin (Foulcan).

Let me know if you are chasing any parts.
I am starting to record a few Aussie scourced parts for the JDM VX.

Regards PK

magellan
09/14/2008, 07:03 AM
Nice to see you have upgraded from the Chooktin (Foulcan).

Regards PK

Gday PK, i will be in Tassie towards the end of the month and i'll have the VX with me wi;; be an interesting run down the Newell to Melb and i'll get to see how the fuel economy is gonna scare me ****less !!!, maybe we can hook up for a cooling medicinal ale?? I'll pm you my mobile

Oh btw i don't ever drive the XY anymore, it's stored away and sees the light of day perhaps once a month at most:bgwo:

PK
09/14/2008, 06:54 PM
Gday PK, i will be in Tassie towards the end of the month and i'll have the VX with me wi;; be an interesting run down the Newell to Melb and i'll get to see how the fuel economy is gonna scare me ****less !!!, maybe we can hook up for a cooling medicinal ale?? I'll pm you my mobile

Oh btw i don't ever drive the XY anymore, it's stored away and sees the light of day perhaps once a month at most:bgwo:

Hi Magellan, it would be great to catch up with you when you come down.
We can do our own mini-meet and scare the locals.:)
How long will you be in Tassie, and where??
Look forward to hearing from you.
Regards
Peter

99VC
09/21/2008, 01:47 PM
Hi Everyone

I'm new here and a new owner of a 99 Silver VX. I bought my ride from a seller in Les Vegas who had it for 6 mo. who bought it from a member here on the board silver bullet 75. The sell gave me his name and number, so I gave Jim a call to find out some history on my new VX, I was happy to find out that my ride was well taken care of. As being a 99 with 16" wheels, and in need of tires I'm looking for a nice set of stock 18" wheels before I buy new tires for the 16" wheels. I'm looking forward to doing some mods in time and happy to have been turned on to this site. it looks to have a great group people that help each other with questions.

Jim 99VC

iamironman
09/21/2008, 08:21 PM
...I...nm

tomdietrying
09/21/2008, 08:47 PM
Nice to have another Texan with a VX. That Trooper engine should last you quite a long time. BTW - Is that Trooper engine a 185 or 215 horse power. Maybe I'll see you at one of the local meets.
Peace.
Tom

p.s.
I don't think I would listen to those conservative republicans. They haven't been right for the past 7 years. :)

indianaexile
09/21/2008, 08:53 PM
I've wanted one since I saw one for the first time in 2007, and after my 2000 Jimmy was totalled in July, I started looking around and found one locally, which was a surprise. So I'm now the proud owner of a 2001 ebony black VX. I'm curious, though: my VIN # ends with 1356, which I think means that it was the 1,356th made that year... but on some other sites, they put the total 2001 production at 1,345 (although it's wikipedia, so it can't be entirely trusted). Anyone know why this might be? Anyway, so far I love the new ride, it's just as cool as I thought it would be. And ironically, even though I never saw any of these on the road until 2007, and have only seen two since then, it appears there's another VX (silver/gray) owner like, 2 blocks from me in San Diego. Good times.

iamironman
09/21/2008, 09:42 PM
nm...

kodiak
09/22/2008, 02:02 AM
Welcome new people! Remember search is your friend.;)

twistedsymphony
09/26/2008, 06:04 AM
I was real paranoid about the oil consumption when I bought mine... I knowing about it before I bought the thing I was worried I'd get one that had already suffered damage from oil starvation.

I lucked out though as the one I bought hasn't burned a drop yet. Granted I've only driven it about 1500 miles since I bought it but I check it often and the dips stick still shows full.

IMO the best scenario would be to have the engine rebuilt if it goes, from what I understand is the oil consumption issues come from the fact that the tolerances in the cylinders is really bad... having the engine rebuilt any good shop will fix those kinds of issues, you'll get more power out of it as well. A rebuild doesn't cost much more than a new engine, and if you're handy and have a garage and some time you can do most of it yourself.

Any damage usually comes from lack of oil due to the oil pan design which once too much has burned off the oil pickup can't grab the oil that it does have and goes dry... installing an Accusump system will fix that as well. Most oil pans are designed such that even if you burn off a quart or two it can easily keep lubricating on the oil it's got left, but that's not the case with these motors, which is why things go from "A-ok" to "oil light" to "something is broken" in a matter of seconds.

I think anyone who experiences oil consumption on these engines would be wise to install an accusump. ESPECIALLY if you off-road where the oil could potentially run to one end of the pan or the other. They cost a few hundred bucks but IMO it's worth it for the extra layer of protection and piece of mind.
http://www.accusump.com/

cwillyrun
09/26/2008, 08:23 AM
Hello everyone! Well, I'll give you all the long-winded intro...

My wife loves the look of the VX. She and I are both artists. I am a mechanical design engineer and car buff (grew up on musclecars, now into hot rods). We live in Colorado.

For the past year we've been wanting to replace my wife's 89 4Runner. It still runs good with 180K miles but is starting to rust on one side. As people who get bored with the same old bland crap that's available, we've never settled on a replacement... until we ran into a mint 2001 Yellow VX at a car show. When we saw it, we remembered having liked them when they first came out (couldn't afford the insane prices back then, nor can we now). When I saw how enthusiastic my wife and the owner were over it, I started sniffing around for one with low miles.

I spent a lot of time looking at prices and conditions and ended up buying one, sight unseen, off of ebay. The VX, a '99 Black, has only 45K miles on it. I told my wife I was off on another business trip, flew to the car and drove it back. It sits in storage now until Christmas. Unfortunately, it was not at all in the condition I was lead to believe. It was originally from up north and the salt damage/rust underneath is very heavy. The guy "flipping" it covered it all up with undercoating. Oh, I'm sorry, "rust inhibitor". lol. I'm sure he made some good bank on the flip. Regardless, I wanted the low miles. The engine runs good and the body looks good. The price I pay now is the shot suspension. It should be in great shape once I replace a few parts.

Overall, never having driven a VX, I am very impressed. It really felt like a sports car, like a beat-up old '60's Porsche. You could tell it has some potential but needs some work. I'm really looking forward to fixing it and getting that engine breathing a little better. I think my wife will have a wonderful Christmas, provided I can get the work done without her finding out.

I am quite disappointed nobody in the US picked up this design and ran with it. From an engineering perspective, it is a top-notch design. Kudo's to the management that put their nuts on the line and built this. I guess when Isuzu sales in the US were dying, our American companies were too busy seeing how big and plain they could make their vehicles. Such a shame. They missed a fantastic opportunity.

barb1948
09/26/2008, 09:41 AM
Does this site have a directory of members and their location? I have a crazy situation with my daughter who owns a 1999 VX that needs to be sold. She lives in LA, and we could use some help with how to sell her car quickly without her getting ripped off. I am in CT, but if there was a VX "friend" in LA, maybe they could help?

thank you

Barbara

twistedsymphony
09/28/2008, 04:55 PM
Good luck fixing up your VX cwillyrun, As someone who lives in the North East I can appreciate how horribly rusted vehicles can get from road salt... You should see the underside of mine... If you've got the time the best thing is to just pull the whole thing apart and take a wire brust to it until every last trace of the rust is gone then reprime it with a rust eating primer, repaint it and then "undercoat" it properly. I plan on doing this to my VX sometime in the next year or two, but I also knew what the underside of it looked like before I bought it and paid peanuts for it.

Unless someone properly mainted their car around here they rust out to the point of being undrivable withing 10 or so years. If your ever buying a car in the north east bring some card board and a flashlight because the underside will tell the REAL story.

That kind of strip down restoration is a lot of work but the benifits are a car that's potentially BETTER than it was new.

For a good example of what is involved you might want to check this out: http://sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=283826&page=1
not a VX but another car with a strong following, this guy is restoring it with goals of entering it in Concorse d'Elegance... which is essentially a car show where you're judged on how clean your car is.

@barb1948... yes we do have a member map :)
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=13998

As for selling the car, it's easy to not get ripped off... determine how much you want to get for it and don't sign the title or hand over the keys until the money is in the bank... have potential buyers pay cash, or meet them at a bank to do a wire transfer, make sure she tells any potential buyers that these are the only acceptable methods of payment. If anyone takes it for a test drive make sure they leave some form of collateral, the car they drove in with is usually good :) . Listing in the Marketplace here is a good idea... a lot of people who are looking for one of these vehicles will check here first.

tom4bren
10/01/2008, 06:36 AM
Barb,

I know that So-CalVX is out in that neck of the woods (only 'cause his name says so). There is a search function on the left side of the home page & members are in the drop down. You should be able to locate someone that way.

Also, the forum can be used to advertise vehicles for sale.

Waderizer
10/02/2008, 04:08 PM
I currently have Three Isuzu's 89 trooper II, 02 Rodeo LS, and as of few days ago 2001 Victory White Ironman! by far the most fun you can legally have on four wheels, and thats just looking at it!! My story...live in Canada, Saskatchewan, so in the middle of Canada...ebay, VX,(129,000miles) New York...Bid...Win...fly to NY. check oil(Clean and Full) Proceed to Drive 2100miles in 38 hours (my son and me) fantastic ride, powerful engine, comfortable seats, underside is as clean as a new car, wheels shine like new! I'm in love, had it less that week, my son's looking for one now, he's hooked too.

LittleBeast
10/02/2008, 04:15 PM
I currently have Three Isuzu's 89 trooper II, 02 Rodeo LS, and as of few days ago 2001 Victory White Ironman! by far the most fun you can legally have on four wheels, and thats just looking at it!! My story...live in Canada, Saskatchewan, so in the middle of Canada...ebay, VX,(129,000miles) New York...Bid...Win...fly to NY. check oil(Clean and Full) Proceed to Drive 2100miles in 38 hours (my son and me) fantastic ride, powerful engine, comfortable seats, underside is as clean as a new car, wheels shine like new! I'm in love, had it less that week, my son's looking for one now, he's hooked too.

Wow, congrats that is awesome!!!!! You got my 2nd favorite color, by the way, I love the contrast on the white ones that is great! Welcome to the family, feel free to look around all you want, if you look and search hard enough you will probably find almost all your questions have already been asked and answered, but feel free to ask again, we love clarifying and joking around while at it. I personally flew to Chicago and bought my VX and then drove it back down to Houston, over 18 hours in 2 days, but nothing compared to your trip that is pretty impressive!!!!! Once again welcome to the club/family/addiction that is VX.info

cwillyrun
10/03/2008, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the insight, Twisted. Being from upstate NY (now loving it in Colorado), I was under the VX before the seller had finished the word "minnisota". He cheaped out and had a detailer undercoat everything. It saved him a lot of trouble of fixing/cleaning parts and made it a challenge for me to see. Still, it isn't as bad as I've seen and certainly salvagable. I couldn't leave the VX with this guy any longer and felt like I was saving it. First I'll replace the shocks and then I'll work on everything else and bushings. Luckily, it will never get worse than it is. That's the beauty of living in the high-altitude desert!

Damn it, Waderizer! I want a white one! Maybe green. For some reason, I have it in my head that I have to see a VX with the panels camouflaged. I'm not into camo AT ALL but something tells me it would look cool. White is a nice open pallet for painting.

VXGirlie01
10/23/2008, 03:18 PM
Hello,

My name is Jody, I live near Seattle, WA., and we just purchased a 2001 ebony black VX. We are loving it!

My husband and I both own porsches and race them as a hobby and we realized that we need something a bit more practical for getting around in the rain, snow, to go skiing in, etc. I am a moderator on an exotic car forum and I also am a member of 6speedonline.com, Luxury4play.com, and the PCA (porsche club of america). I had no idea that the VX came with Recaro seats. Way cool! We paid a small fortune to have Recaro GT3 seats installed in our p-cars! Don't laugh...yes....I name my cars. Hahah! The VX is "Dustin". Can you tell we don't have kids? lol!

I do have one concern though. Today while driving to work my check engine light came on. The VX seems to be running fine. I'm not sure why it's on. The only thing that I can think of is that I put regular unleaded in him instead of mid grade. We use premium in our porsche carrera and our boxster, and I wasn't sure if the VX requires that as well?

Anyway, it's a pleasure to be here! I'm excited to learn as much as I can from you all!

~Jody :)

nfpgasmask
10/23/2008, 03:40 PM
Welcome. You should get the code read for the check engine and then bring it back to us. We should be able to tell you exactly what the code is from. Or, you can buy or borrow an OBDII scanguage and pull the code yourself.

Good luck.

Bart

VXGirlie01
10/23/2008, 03:45 PM
Welcome. You should get the code read for the check engine and then bring it back to us. We should be able to tell you exactly what the code is from. Or, you can buy or borrow an OBDII scanguage and pull the code yourself.

Good luck.

Bart

hi bart,

thanks for the welcome. i'll be taking him in to the shop so they can read the code for me and then i'll let you guys know what they say.

ps..i took a peek at your link to your 01 VX. nice pictures!!!

VXGirlie01
10/23/2008, 03:49 PM
i'll try and post up some pictures as well. =)

nfpgasmask
10/23/2008, 03:54 PM
thanks for the welcome. i'll be taking him in to the shop so they can read the code for me and then i'll let you guys know what they say.

Yeah, that way we can tell you what needs to be done. The VX should be ok on regular gas, but I always run mid-grade or premium.

ps..i took a peek at your link to your 01 VX. nice pictures!!!

Thanks!

Bart