PDA

View Full Version : Introduce yourself here!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12

KISSMYAURA!
08/17/2011, 08:30 AM
Hi Vt Maverick,

I sure did, Nick was a gent and very helpful, no doubt I shall be being winched out of some muddy hole by him soon enough! I am looking fwd to that.
Apologies for delay in responding, we had a riot or two here in blighty and my work means I have had very little sleep for a week etc.

Darren

twalker920
08/21/2011, 12:59 PM
Hi all, I had a pretty crazy day yesterday. I took my 2005 Mazda 6S 5-door (a car I *loved*) in for two new engine mounts (my extended warranty just ran out), and while they were installing them I saw the VX in the used lot. I have looked at VXs before but never seriously thought about buying one...even though I loved the styling. Anyway, I test drove it, looked it over inside and out, and (insert clock moving quickly to show time passing) drove home with it a few hours later! I did a straight trade for my car plus a check in my pocket for a sizeable amount. The previous owner is a mechanic and it's obvious this was his baby. It drives like a dream, has zero issues except for the "slow window" on the driver side.

It is a 1999 with 137k miles on it. It has a Dragon cold air intake, custom exhaust (nice burbling growl), new battery, Alpine USB digital deck with subwoofer, obviously the tires and wheels are not stock, but the tires are new complete with the receipt for full coverage from Discount Tire.

[I can't seem to get the gallery popup to work other than putting a URL in my post, but I have 3 photos of her in my gallery]

Put about 50 miles on it today running errands. Other than the window it's just perfect. Can't wait to take this thing up in the foothills and mountains of Colorado! :)

twalker920
08/21/2011, 06:04 PM
As I said I had looked at VXs before, but there hadn't been one for sale within a reasonable distance. So yeah I knew what I was looking at on the lot there, and voila! It's in my garage now :D

Also, a $3.47 can of silicone lube totally fixed the driver side window slowness.

Got a mount for my cell phone, which has GPS/Nav, and also 14GB of music that the Alpine head unit plays. I am all set and very happy!

Now to make a cup holder....

UWVX89
08/23/2011, 09:24 AM
Hey I'm new, name's Chase I have a 1999 VX. In the shop now getting timing belt done. Has a 3 in lift with 33's, performance exhaust to give it a growl, and a cold air intake. It's fun but I want to add more power to the motor and I want to get a new tranny since this ride has 145xxx miles and I'm not sure what the previous owners have done. Here's a pic! http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/249774_10150252048478885_682358884_8959895_4789090 _n.jpg (http://www.dazzlejunction.com/generators/image-generator.php)

mitsuguy
08/29/2011, 08:57 PM
Hey guys... new to the VehiCross, not new to online forums... I am in the car repair industry and just came across a good deal on one of these guys... Mine is Kaiser Silver and has 120k on it... had a new motor at 80k, so hopefully all is well there...

I also have a 2001 Lexus IS300...

Seems like there is quite a bit of info here, maybe I can contribute as well...

tom4bren
08/30/2011, 05:28 AM
3 silver ones in a row. Cute (that's a joke - you'll figure it out when you learn the search function).:)

Welcome to the addiction youse guys.

VX KAT
08/30/2011, 11:32 AM
Now to make a cup holder....

Here's one option: Can adjust size of metal "arms" just by squeezing or pushing open. Was about $25.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_1868.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_1865.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_1854.JPG

twalker920
08/31/2011, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the cupholder pics. I figured hanging something of that part of the console would work - nice to see it's been tried. So far I have used the rectangular holder in the console with no issues when I am alone. But this weekend I will have 2 people, 2 dogs, and luggage and will be going off road so we'll see how it goes. Maybe the dogs can hold our drinks...

More probably my lap will. Regardless, it will be fun :D

tom4bren
09/01/2011, 05:11 AM
That square hole in the console (probably was meant to be a change cubby) be we all try to use it as a cup holder. You'll find out shortly that it's actually a cup launcher.

twalker920
09/01/2011, 06:23 AM
Deermagnet...I see the cupholder but now I want to know about your floormats :)

PK
09/01/2011, 07:13 PM
Deermagnet...I see the cupholder but now I want to know about your floormats :)

I am more interested in the carbon fibre console.

Looks great - where did that come from??

PK

UltrAsOniC
09/07/2011, 03:00 PM
Just wanted to stop in show my support and say hello to everyone.

tom4bren
09/08/2011, 06:21 AM
Welcome UltrAsOniC. I'm in your neck of the woods (half way between DC & Richmond).

We failed in pulling off a get together this year but need to start thinking about something next spring or summer.

angrypanda
09/14/2011, 06:55 PM
Hey im tom new to the vx family. My japanese sport car was hit and with the insurance. Money I got my dream truck I have a 99 sliver vx and I am trying to make it the most crazy off the wall vx out there I am already installing nightvision cameras in it and I am trying to find or my gave to make a crazy brushgaurd any ideas. I welcome ideas from the vx family angrypanda out.

JoFotoz
09/14/2011, 07:50 PM
Hi Tom....Welcome to the ADDICTION!!!

I am trying to find or my gave to make a crazy brushgaurd any ideas. I welcome ideas from the vx family angrypanda out.

...I have a custom brushguard for sale.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/281ed.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=13288)

PM me if you are interested!

:_steering

Jo

angrypanda
09/15/2011, 02:25 PM
What do u want for it and it is a addiction that I don't want to kick

JoFotoz
09/15/2011, 02:33 PM
Hi Tom

I need to clear $500 for it..it cost me $800.

I sent you an e-mail and a PM as this is the wrong thread for selling!

Thanks for your interest.

Jo

elkaholic
09/23/2011, 06:54 PM
Hi,I just bought a 99' and am having the normal window problems---does anyone know of someone in the Puget sound area of Washington Seattle Everett area that is knowledgeable on the fix?Thanks, Jerry

VX KAT
09/23/2011, 07:03 PM
Hi,I just bought a 99' and am having the normal window problems---does anyone know of someone in the Puget sound area of Washington Seattle Everett area that is knowledgeable on the fix?Thanks, Jerry

Grats on the purchase, welcome to the vx obsession!

Window problems are probably one of the most common issues on the VX.
They are notorious for binding, sticking, jumping the track, tilting, burning up the motors due to the severe binding....you get the idea..

Here's a TON of threads that have good info on the issue and how to repair. These threads are all helpful, so I collected them and saved them in one place, just for instances like this. They are ALL important to read, so you'll understand all the issues with them.

As time went on, "most" found that buying the SBC metal brackets for $65 was the best fix. It's what I did.

Get out your Snickers bar, and get real familiar with the Search function....you won't be going anywhere for a while.....:thumbup:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=235155&postcount=5

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&id=3

VX KAT
09/23/2011, 07:07 PM

Hey Jerry- wasn't sure if you've read a lot about the VX or not, but here's a post that covers a lot of points of interest. Just disregard if you've already read it all. Let us know if you have questions as you get to know your new toy!
http://vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=186152&postcount=4

norazz
09/24/2011, 02:49 PM
Hi there friends,
I was delighted when I came across this forum where everyone is friendly and ready to help out. I searched through quite a few threads and was indeed glad to find a few tips which for some time past eluded me.
I reside in Malta ( central Mediterranean) and I bought my VX through the local Isuzu distributor. That was in 1997. Mine is the only VX on this island and it is still an eye-catcher after all these years. It is still in top condition with only 30k kms on the clock. By the way, the colour is maroon.

I am quite happy with my VX except for the stiff ride; the gas shockers seem to be still in good order, but it seems that my model was meant to be driven on Japanese roads which must definitely be a lot smoother than the ones on this island. I will consider changing these shockers in future, although I don't know where to start. Any advice will be appreciated.

A few days ago I sent my reverse camera to England to have it repaired - I just hope it's only the camera that's faulty and not some other thing under the dash. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Before closing, I have to mention that since I bought this VX (14 years ago) I have tried and tried to get my hands on an English version Owner's Manual, but to no avail. Can some kind soul help me out ? I can be contacted on : npanpa@maltanet.net Cheers.

Gussie2000
09/24/2011, 04:13 PM
Hi there friends,
I was delighted when I came across this forum where everyone is friendly and ready to help out. I searched through quite a few threads and was indeed glad to find a few tips which for some time past eluded me.
I reside in Malta ( central Mediterranean) and I bought my VX through the local Isuzu distributor. That was in 1997. Mine is the only VX on this island and it is still an eye-catcher after all these years. It is still in top condition with only 30k kms on the clock. By the way, the colour is maroon.

I am quite happy with my VX except for the stiff ride; the gas shockers seem to be still in good order, but it seems that my model was meant to be driven on Japanese roads which must definitely be a lot smoother than the ones on this island. I will consider changing these shockers in future, although I don't know where to start. Any advice will be appreciated.

A few days ago I sent my reverse camera to England to have it repaired - I just hope it's only the camera that's faulty and not some other thing under the dash. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Before closing, I have to mention that since I bought this VX (14 years ago) I have tried and tried to get my hands on an English version Owner's Manual, but to no avail. Can some kind soul help me out ? I can be contacted on : npanpa@maltanet.net Cheers.

Welcome to your VX world !

I can provide you some info about the shocks.

The shocks most commonly use as a replacement are the ranchos 5000 series and the 9000 series.

The 5000 series are very soft and because i currently got them in my VX i can tell you they do pretty well.
Just keep in mind that once you change your shocks you wouldn't have the excellent cornering that the VX comes with anymore. Also you'll notice that the VX will be a bit lower in ground clearance with the 5000 series,i wasn't sure about it 'till another member who i met few weeks ago noticed too.

The 9000 series shocks are adjustable so you can adjust the dampering of the VX to suit you comfort.

Another good brand is the KYB

I think we have a downloadable owner's guide in english language here @ the left side list where it says 'DOWNLOADS'

vt_maverick
09/24/2011, 04:41 PM

Several of us have come to the conclusion that the primary reason for the harsh ride is the proximity of the rear bump stops to the axle (1/2" or less, many have reported seeing their VX "sit" on the stops). For $0 and about 30 minutes of your time you can cut them in half and you'll notice a DRAMATIC improvement in ride quality. You'll lose some level of cornering ability because your VX won't lean on the stops as quickly, but I can't tell the difference on my own VX.

Check out this thread, interesting reading...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=19217&highlight=bump+stop

VX KAT
09/24/2011, 06:26 PM
I reside in Malta ( central Mediterranean) and I bought my VX through the local Isuzu distributor. That was in 1997.

I am quite happy with my VX except for the stiff ride; the gas shockers seem to be still in good order,

Before closing, I have to mention that since I bought this VX (14 years ago) :freek: I have tried and tried to get my hands on an English version Owner's Manual, but to no avail. Can some kind soul help me out ? I can be contacted on : npanpa@maltanet.net Cheers.

Several of us have come to the conclusion that the primary reason for the harsh ride is the proximity of the rear bump stops to the axle (1/2" or less, many have reported seeing their VX "sit" on the stops). For $0 and about 30 minutes of your time you can cut them in half and you'll notice a DRAMATIC improvement in ride quality. You'll lose some level of cornering ability because your VX won't lean on the stops as quickly, but I can't tell the difference on my own VX.

Check out this thread, interesting reading...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=19217&highlight=bump+stop

Wow, I think that makes you the longest original owner!

Here's a site that sells Owners Manuals. They don't have the '97 JDMs however. But they are English if you want to get a '99-'01 manual.
http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp?Style=helm&Mfg=AIM&Make=AIM&Model=VEHI&Year=1999&Category=&Keyword=&Module=&selected%5Fmedia=

Here's some pics of my rear bump stops cut in half. The original bump stop is like a figure "8", and is about 8" or 9" long. We cut the bottom half of the "8" off. So in these pics you can just see the top half of the "8". Mine are covered in beige dirt, but they're black rubber underneath that.

Like Mav said, it makes a huge improvement in the rough ride, it reduces that slamming/jarring effect in the rear. You can see I have about 4" of clearance now before that stop hits the axle. Much better!

Sorry I couldn't get the actual pics to display in this post :_thinking: you have to click the link.
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/MISC%20VX%20PICS/0908111658b.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/MISC%20VX%20PICS/0908111647b.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/photokat4/MISC%20VX%20PICS/0908111649b.jpg

Whosaidyoucouldhavesome
09/25/2011, 10:25 AM
Hey guys

I was very happy to discover this forum. Everyone seems really cool and knowledgeable and it has helped me out a lot with my 01 VX. Just received the SBC window brackets and will be putting those in today. Ill have windows again!!

norazz
09/25/2011, 03:38 PM
I thank VX KAT and all the others for their quick response. I might have forgotten to mention that my VX is a Japanese Model. I do have all the Manuals but they are in Japanese. I guess I will have to learn the language ! ! ! because it seems that getting an English version is impossible.
Thanks also to those who posted tips about the hard ride of the VX.

norazz
09/25/2011, 03:39 PM
I thank VX KAT and all the others for their quick response. I might have forgotten to mention that my VX is a Japanese Model. I do have all the Manuals but they are in Japanese. I guess I will have to learn the language ! ! ! because it seems that getting an English version is impossible.
Thanks also to those who posted tips about the hard ride of the VX.

tom4bren
09/26/2011, 12:25 PM
Hey im tom new to the vx family. My japanese sport car was hit and with the insurance. Money I got my dream truck I have a 99 sliver vx and I am trying to make it the most crazy off the wall vx out there I am already installing nightvision cameras in it and I am trying to find or my gave to make a crazy brushgaurd any ideas. I welcome ideas from the vx family angrypanda out.

Angry,

If all goes well, I'll have pushbar brackets available soon. Just keep your eyes on the forum & I'll start a thread on the subject.

t4b

bluzvr4
09/29/2011, 12:49 PM
hey guys the name is james i am just about to turn 22 and i decided i needed a decent DD so i started lookin around. i was at work one day and saw one in the parking lot that caught my eye so i stated asking whos it was. wasnt hard the place was dead. less then a month later i owned her black 2001 vehicross and i have now fell in love with it.

tom4bren
09/29/2011, 12:55 PM
Welcome to the obsession ... & to this wierd family.

Don't forget to post some pix of your ebony.

bluzvr4
09/29/2011, 01:01 PM
will do im use to the wierd family lol i have been in the dsm game for a bit lol. i love cars that are different. i have a 94 3000gt vr4 that is one of 37. if its rare and different its in my field lol ill have to snag some pics of it but its pretty stock right now

tom4bren
09/29/2011, 01:08 PM
I just junked a 93 3000GT that I couldn't keep running. It was BADLY abused by previous NYC owner. I nursed it along for 5 years but then just gave up.

bluzvr4
09/29/2011, 01:16 PM
:( i have a huge soft spot for 3ks lol ill post o pic of my beast together here soon

VehixDad
09/29/2011, 10:50 PM
Howdy from Alabama! I purchased my 16 year old a 1999 silver VX the first of August after about a year of research on this vehicle. By the way, this forum was one of the main reasons I bought the VX. The vehicle had a clean carfax and only 89,000 miles. My son and I love the little critter! Rides like a log truck but handles like a sports car. The first weekend we had it we took it to a car show and no one knew what it was. Most thought is was a year old concept vehicle!

Unfortunately the repairs began quickly after purchase, Here is the list:

1) A/C blower motor. Easy to replace but buy the one that looks original on ebay for about $50 and it came with the squirrel cage. NAPA's was a poor replacement, no cage, very loud and one screw could not be put in properly.
2) Keyless did not work. Did the little trick with the green button under the driver side dash. Fixed in a couple of minutes! Found where the previous ISUZU dealer in TN could not fix it on some old paperwork, HAHA!
3) Battery died 2 days after purchase. OK, regular stuff.
4) Both windows giving binding issues. Used this forum, pulled off door panels, widened the front window tracks, lubed them up and did one more thing I did not see on the forum. I put a big zip tie on the bottom of the track to hold the window rubber down so it would not get drawn up by any future binding. Windows work faster than my 2 other new cars now!
5) While the door panels were off saw the speakers were blown. Replaced easliy with 3Way Pioneer 6.5" and they sound great. While in there I cut anti-fatigue matting (Available per foot in the carpet section at Lowes) double-sided capet taped them over the holes in the doors and covered the edges with real metal duct tape for sound barrier. Worked very nice. No problem getting panels back on. Need rear speakers soon.
6) Discoverd dry rotted Michelins that salesman said was new. Dime width cracks deep in the treads, nothing on sidewalls. DOT number on tires showed they were 9 years old. (Look at DOT number and the last 4 digits are the week and year of manufacture, ie. 2508 is the 25th week of 2008)Replaced tires. Do car sales people only lie when they move their lips?
7) Cassette player would not work so My son and I replaced it with a BOSS (not BOSE) single DIN DVD player with a 3" screen, built in bluetooth, WMA and MP3 playback. Very tight fit with Minor Modifications. Plan on hooking up a rear camera soon. System was $170 on ebay and sounds great. Took out a perfectly goos 6 disc changer (was replaced under previous owners warranty) and put in a generic single DIN cubby I ordered from England. May change out with the Ford cup holder even though reviews are mixed.
8) This VX is clean, no peeling chrome, like new paint, great interior, etc. She wasn't driven much over the last several years and was garage kept which leads to the next thing. Dead Fuel pump. Rust in tank. Had pump replaced, tank cleaned and coated, changed strainer and fuel filter. New Pump died a few weeks later. ARRRGH! Covered under warranty but not the labor. Will look at wiring harness closer for possible short up near front driver fender/headlight area. Noticed previous owner put 20 amp fuse in 15 amp spot for fuel pump, hmmmm. I changed it back to a 15amp.
9) Found cracked CV Boot while under VX so told them to replace. They put a gray one and a Black one on and neither were shaped like the other side. Ok I'm a bit OC even if it is under the VX.
10) Asked mechanic to adjust linkage since could not get shifter into proper gears like low. His adjustment caused the vehicle to jump out of Park and start rolling with a loud clicking noise. It rolled head on into a nearly new Avalanche in the parking lot! Guess what, the Avalanche sustained more damage even with a bull nose brush catcher on the front. Mechanic, a good friend of mine, admitted fault and said he would have his insurance company take care of the damages. Poor VX, she needs a new front bumper, fog light, blinker and some hood repair. Oh well, she needed a "fog" light bulb anyway. Might as well have the hood insert repainted while in shop.
11) Cleaning Mode Selector switch did not work so will be replacing it this week to avoid future problems. Hope to kill the shifter problem and tranny jerk.

This VX is driving me crazy but it's like a little puppy that just chewed up your shoes. They look at you with those big brown eyes and you forgive it then go on! You hop back in, after spending a small fortune, and you fall in love with it again. Amazing vehicle! :)

tom4bren
10/03/2011, 10:55 AM
This VX is driving me crazy but it's like a little puppy that just chewed up your shoes. They look at you with those big brown eyes and you forgive it then go on! You hop back in, after spending a small fortune, and you fall in love with it again. Amazing vehicle! :)

BWAAHAAHAA!!!

I like that. It sums up the obsession very nicely.

Welcome to the family. It sounds like your beast is finally getting the TLC it deserves.

bluzvr4
10/05/2011, 12:42 PM
heres a couple of the pics i took today of my ride
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy114/bluzgirl/james%20cars/DSCN4923.jpg

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy114/bluzgirl/james%20cars/DSCN4920.jpg
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy114/bluzgirl/james%20cars/DSCN4924.jpg
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy114/bluzgirl/james%20cars/DSCN4925.jpg
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy114/bluzgirl/james%20cars/DSCN4926.jpg
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy114/bluzgirl/james%20cars/DSCN4922.jpg
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy114/bluzgirl/james%20cars/DSCN4921.jpg
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy114/bluzgirl/james%20cars/DSCN4919.jpg
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy114/bluzgirl/james%20cars/DSCN4918.jpg

VehixDad
10/12/2011, 09:27 AM
Got the new Mode selector switch put in and she drives out great! Got rid of the downshift clunk and it doesn't jump out of park! She'll go into the shop for a new hood, bumper and blinker this week when the parts come in. Will have the hood inset painted while she is there. I also forgot to mention when I had the tires replaced they lost the lug key. Extra pain to have them taken off and have a new set put on, oh well lesson learned. Make sure lug key is replaced after tire work!

Thanks again for all the help on the forum for repairs and troubleshooting. Kid still loves the car and is a very proud owner!:bgwb:

tom4bren
10/12/2011, 09:37 AM
heres a couple of the pics i took today of my ride
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy114/bluzgirl/james%20cars/DSCN4923.jpg

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy114/bluzgirl/james%20cars/DSCN4920.jpg
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy114/bluzgirl/james%20cars/DSCN4924.jpg
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy114/bluzgirl/james%20cars/DSCN4925.jpg
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy114/bluzgirl/james%20cars/DSCN4926.jpg
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy114/bluzgirl/james%20cars/DSCN4922.jpg
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy114/bluzgirl/james%20cars/DSCN4921.jpg
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy114/bluzgirl/james%20cars/DSCN4919.jpg
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy114/bluzgirl/james%20cars/DSCN4918.jpg

SWEEEEET!!!

Wazzup with the cladding? The nose cone & rear cladding look fresh but the side cladding looks faded. Was it just the lighting for the pix?

bluzvr4
10/12/2011, 07:44 PM
it is and im not sure y im going to try some different cleaners and see if i can get them all to the same level. i have the receipts from everything she bought and thats not in there so im not sure.

VX KAT
10/12/2011, 08:14 PM
it is and im not sure y im going to try some different cleaners and see if i can get them all to the same level. i have the receipts from everything she bought and thats not in there so im not sure.

There's a ton of posts about cladding treatments etc...
Here's a long thread that discusses a lot of the info.
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=18625&highlight=BLACK+CLADDING

bearandbee
10/12/2011, 10:19 PM
Hey Everyone!
We just purchased a VX tonight and are very excited. I discovered them years ago when I was researching the long awaited FJ Cruisers. I've since sold the FJ and found a great deal on a VX so we grabbed it off Craigslist. It needs alot of love and some parts including tires and I need to have the drive shaft piece that goes into low gear put back on. The story goes the driver was on the interstated and put it in low 4wd. The mechanic told him, oh you dont need that lets just take it off. I'm assuming its broken. Any help you can give me on that part and getting rid of shake, bouncing at low speeds and big steering wheel play would be awesome. We plan on buying new tires and alignment tomorrow. It currently has 275's on the rear and 265's on the front.

PK
10/12/2011, 11:27 PM
Hey Everyone!
We plan on buying new tires and alignment tomorrow. It currently has 275's on the rear and 265's on the front.

Welcome to the addiction.
4 tyres the same size will go along way towards fixing your problems.
The US models are virtually "all wheel drive" so you can imagine what having different tyres front to back would do to the drive train.

We might need more explanation, or a photo to sort out what part has been removed.
I am guessing it is the front tailshaft, from the transfer case to the front diff, but it was a bit hard from your description.

Start up a new thread with your problems, and the "experts" on here will help sort them out.

PK

Hybrid1098
10/13/2011, 03:13 AM
Hello,

New to the forum and very excited. I am a big motor head but do not posses much knowledge about offroading as I am a car and motorcycle guy that takes my cars to the track when finance and time permits.

I am in the process of purchasing a Vehicross at the moment and eager to put a small lift on it as I plan on bringing this with me overseas to Mongolia. I am going to post in the VX talk so if anyone can give me some advice, I would appreciate it. Thanks!!!!

tom4bren
10/13/2011, 03:29 AM
Welcome.

A mild lift is easy (& cheap). New coils on back and a torsion bar crank on the front. Depending on amount of lift, maybe new shocks. There are plenty of threads on the subject.

RamAirZ
10/15/2011, 07:17 AM
I'm still waiting for someone to join who bought my VX :(

ryan1alex2
10/25/2011, 12:57 PM
hi my name is Ryan i have been wanting a vx for years. i bought a proton that needs a little attention and cant wait to get it all fixed up. im just 50 min south of buffalo ny if any of you are in the area lets meet up. if anyone comes across a roller or salvage vx hit me up i have a 5000 sq ft storage building and have plenty of room for a parts car or two.

metalman1980
10/26/2011, 11:19 PM
Hi, im Seth, im new to the forum and I just recently bought a 2001 proton VX here in Hawaii with only 49,000 miles. After seeing my first one here just a few weeks ago, I knew I had to have one. The only issues im having with it is the CD changer appears to have had its power disconnected and the ABS light is on. A friend of mine liked it so much that he just bought one here too, it has a blown motor which he plans on transplanting one from a trooper into it soon. Im glad to have found this website!

VXR
10/26/2011, 11:28 PM
The only issues im having with it is the CD changer appears to have had its power disconnected and the ABS light is on.

Welcome!

ABS light = no big deal this may help:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=16975&highlight=abs&page=2

and many people have long discarded the CD changer...

vt_maverick
10/27/2011, 05:37 AM
The only issues im having with it is the CD changer appears to have had its power disconnected

and many people have long discarded the CD changer...

To expand on what VXR said... the CD changers are notorious for failing, and once they do, you'll get a SUPER annoying set of beeps every time you crank the VX. I disconnected mine (and eventually replaced it with an OEM cubby hole) just to get rid of that noise.

Best bet is to go get yourself an aftermarket head unit.

Welcome!

metalman1980
10/27/2011, 11:18 PM
right on, thanks for the info! Any idea if the ABS module from a trooper or rodeo would work on the VX? ...and does having the ABS light on necessarily mean that the cause is in fact the ABS module and not something else like a speed sensor? Thanks!

KTMRIDER
10/28/2011, 07:40 AM
Just purchased our first VX! Wife decided the "cool" factor was to much to resist, we always noticed them on the road and thought it would be a fun vehicle to have. Purchased an astral silver 99 from Richard Payne in Fort Collins, CO, at Detail Driven Auto's. It was a pleasure dealing with him, they are pretty familiar with the VX and had 4 on the lot to choose from. We are loving this vehicle!

MSHardeman
10/28/2011, 12:55 PM
Woohoo! Another Colorado VXer. Seems like there are a lot of us here. Maybe we'll pass Texas someday as the VX capital.

Welcome to the family.:dan_ban: Be sure to check out this thread: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=21419 because it looks like we'll be trying to get together soon.

RazorbackBen
10/31/2011, 04:08 PM
Hello, new to the site but not to Isuzu! I've owned an Amigo, Rodeo, I-mark, and 2 Troopers. This is my second VX to own. I had purchased a 01' Black VX in 2004, loved the thing to death, but my wife hated it! I had picked it up for close to $10k back then. Just a few months ago, I saw a 99' silver VX for $2K and couldn't leave without it! The poor girl needs a lot of work w/ 167K miles. And with that price I wanted to do it right. I've already rebuilt the engine (pistons, rings, gaskets, timing belt, etc...), new cv axles, ball joints (w/ Independent4x spacers), jacked-up torsion bars, window regulators & motors, all 4 shocks, all the speakers & cd player (player "freaked out"), new master brake cylinder, rims/tires (265/75 R16). I still have a long way to go, but love reading some of the posts on here! I've used alot of the info from this site on my new vx! Thanks!

Mile High VX
10/31/2011, 06:06 PM
Welcome and be sure to share your experience with us as well...:)

Living in CO now, but move here from Beebe, AR about 5 years ago...Woo Pig Sooie!

Roamin Ray
11/09/2011, 04:53 PM
Real newbie.... bought a '99 VX from a friend w/ blown eng., lower end, back in Colo. & am headed back there to R&R (repair & retrieve). Should be fun w/ all your help. Glad this VX site exists. Have done a bunch of mechanical work in my life, restore, rebuild, m/c, cars, trucks, lawn mowers, snow blowers etc. Looking fwd to driving soon. Many thanks ahead of time.

JoFotoz
11/09/2011, 05:05 PM
Welcome Roamin Ray :thumbup:

See if you can "Git'er Done" by May 2012...

...and "roam" over to Moab for some fun.

Jo

Rampage108
11/11/2011, 02:05 AM
Hello, I have been in love with the vx for many many years. Finally purchasing my proton two weeks ago with 69000 miles after owning and selling my subie for 7 years. Mine is in unbeliveable pristine condition but hope to change that. Having fun finding parts and accessories. Hope to get it much dirtier soon. Im an avid hiker so hope she will bring me to many unreachable places.Always looking for parts and such or tips so feel free to message me

VXR
11/11/2011, 07:40 PM
Hello, I have been in love with the vx for many many years. Finally purchasing my proton two weeks ago with 69000 miles

Welcome! Glad to see another PNW VXer. Where did you get it? Got any pics?

RazorbackBen
11/15/2011, 10:34 AM
Ha! Funny thing is I lived in the Durango, CO area before I moved to Arkansas. My dad owned a store in Silverton, CO for over 10 yrs. Very good jeep trails up there!

Welcome and be sure to share your experience with us as well...:)

Living in CO now, but move here from Beebe, AR about 5 years ago...Woo Pig Sooie!

FenderBender
11/15/2011, 05:17 PM
Hello all, Newbie here. I have owned my VX for 3 weeks now and I am loving it. Had 2 Range Rover classics prior to this VX. Yep it was time for something reliable and a little better on gas. :) I do not go off roading anymore but it is nice to know I can if I want to.

tom4bren
11/16/2011, 04:26 AM
... and a little better on gas. :)

BWAAHAAHAA!!! Noobs are funny!!!

Just kidding - welcome to the addiction. I know you'll be happy with it. Make sure you keep an eye on the oil consumption (every time you gas up, check your oil). Not all VX consume ... but none of 'em like to run without oil.

FenderBender
11/16/2011, 02:29 PM
BWAAHAAHAA!!! Noobs are funny!!!

Just kidding - welcome to the addiction. I know you'll be happy with it. Make sure you keep an eye on the oil consumption (every time you gas up, check your oil). Not all VX consume ... but none of 'em like to run without oil.

Thanks for the tip. I will keep an eye on it. I could never go 225 miles on a full tank with a rover, this is a nice change. :bwgy:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/vx39.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=21741)

VX KAT
11/16/2011, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the tip. I will keep an eye on it. I could never go 225 miles on a full tank with a rover, this is a nice change. :bwgy:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/vx39.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=21741)

Welcome Ryan, rider, Roamin', Rampage, Razor, metal & Fender! :wave: I sure hope FB's screen name isn't a curse. :laugho:

FB, you got 225 miles on a tank in a Rover?...WOW! You squeaked out 10 more than we could ever get out of our D90...we even tested it and ran it dry once just to see what the max was.

Hope you'll love your VX as much as we all do!

UltrAsOniC
11/19/2011, 07:03 PM
Hey just wanted jump in and say Hello and Happy Thanks giving to all.

FenderBender
11/19/2011, 07:29 PM
Welcome Ryan, rider, Roamin', Rampage, Razor, metal & Fender! :wave: I sure hope FB's screen name isn't a curse. :laugho:

FB, you got 225 miles on a tank in a Rover?...WOW! You squeaked out 10 more than we could ever get out of our D90...we even tested it and ran it dry once just to see what the max was.

Hope you'll love your VX as much as we all do!

LOL nope the name is not a curse. :)
Last name is Bender so had it forever...kids can be so cruel....LOL

I never could get 225 miles out of my Rover...never even hit 200...I think 180 is the most I could get out of it. D90's are very cool rig's.

Thanks for the welcome Kat.

maxprime
11/29/2011, 06:40 AM
Hello glad I found this forums, I recently purchashed a 1999 and astra silver and a 2001 proton yellow vehicross's
Anyhow, just wanted to sign in and say hi.

FenderBender
11/29/2011, 04:52 PM
Welcome Maxprime
There is a wealth of info here. Must of had a bogo sale...;)

Lifervxff
12/03/2011, 12:31 PM
Bought a 2000 Foxfire in August. Been wanting one since I spotted one at a Subaru dealer in Petosky, Mi about 8 years ago. My name is Jessica, we're located in Ludington, Mi about 20 miles north of the Silver Lake Sand Dunes. We travel a lot, have lived in CO for a while, and go to Maine, Pennsylvania (for my job), and the Upper Peninsula. I work for an oil & gas company doing title abstracting. Hope to take advantage of the VX wherever we have the chance. Haven't had much of a chance to modify it yet except for s stickers, but we will get there.

Glad to have this site!

Scoobymlr
12/05/2011, 09:04 PM
Hi to ALL club members.
I am a NEW member First post:bwgy: I am very THANKFUL for having all the that you all have shared. I helped my find the VX. It was a very LONG couple year search. Driving all over. Looking and driving. So stressfull but WORTH every second. I bought a 01 VX in mint condition. I owe all of you that post so much. THANK YOU

vt_maverick
12/05/2011, 09:07 PM
Congrats my Foxfire brother! :) :thumbup:

crager34
12/06/2011, 05:01 AM
Did I count right? 10 new VX owners in the last two months?

:LineWave:

It's like Christmas in July.

Ldub
12/06/2011, 05:49 AM
Did I count right? 10 new VX owners in the last two months?

:LineWave:

It's like Christmas in July.

It's like they're selling faster than when they were new...:laughing:

WELCOME to all the new "addicts"...it's a great cult, you'll like it here...:yesgray:.:flower:

kehecross
12/06/2011, 06:49 PM
:)Hey everyone I just bought a 2000 Proton Yellow vx 6 hours ago. I have been looking for the right one for 4 years and I found it. It was a one owner with 56000 miles on it. He left all the dealer paper work in the glove box. This truck ROCKS!!! I can see this site is going to be real handy and look forward to talking to everyone here.

JoFotoz
12/06/2011, 06:52 PM
Welcome...

:)Hey everyone I just bought a 2000 Proton Yellow vx 6 hours ago. I have been looking for the right one for 4 years and I found it. It was a one owner with 56000 miles on it. He left all the dealer paper work in the glove box. This truck ROCKS!!! I can see this site is going to be real handy and look forward to talking to everyone here.

Can I be very nosy, and ask what you paid for it...
....especially given the low miles.

Or by all means tell me to mind my own business :p

:thumbup:

jo

kehecross
12/06/2011, 06:57 PM
around 8gs Truck is very very nice!!!

JoFotoz
12/06/2011, 07:02 PM
Sweet...

around 8gs Truck is very very nice!!!

Thanks for sharing...its nice to keep track of prices.

jo

2Bonthewater
12/09/2011, 06:59 AM
Just purchased a 1999 Iron Man with the wife.........I remember them from when I was in college and a little bit younger........the family was looking for a cheap second vehicle and we were thinking an Amigo / Xterra......then I saw a few VXs floating around.........local dealer had one and we jumped on it........

I'm hoping to never get rid of it.........but, I'll still keep my 1972 El Camino fund alive with my son (used to own one, but sold it while I was in the military)

The front of my house looks sweet with my 2002 Solar Yellow S/C frontier and the Victory White 1999 Iron Man edition VX being parked there

You guys can read all about me and see pics of the family on my website:
www.2Bonthewater.com

Here's to looking forward to many many years of VX ownership

VX KAT
12/09/2011, 08:16 AM
Hey 2Bon-
Welcome to the VX group!
Just checked out your website.....bet I'm one of only 3 on this VX board that can pronounce that river name! :laugho: Youghiogheny River

I grew up in Pittsburgh....only way you'd ever learn how....:thumbup:
(the other 2 are PittVX and Circmand...from PGH)

tom4bren
12/09/2011, 08:29 AM
Hey 2Bon-
Welcome to the VX group!
Just checked out your website.....bet I'm one of only 3 on this VX board that can pronounce that river name! :laugho: Youghiogheny River

I grew up in Pittsburgh....only way you'd ever learn how....:thumbup:
(the other 2 are PittVX and Circmand...from PGH)

I can pronounce it, I just can't spell it ... maybe because I only lived in Pittsburgh for a year.

Scoobymlr
12/10/2011, 04:27 PM
Thanks Deermagnet.
I bought my 2001 Vx in upstate ny with 115k. Its all stock. 1 OWNER never off-road. I have been looking at them since they were new. I first saw one in 2000 at an ISUZU dealership. I have owned almost every vehicle out there. But I have never been happy with them. From AUDI to VW. Sports cars to Trucks. Sports cars are fun and fast but to small at times. Trucks & SUV dont handle well at high speeds and sometimes to BIG. Then I remembered about the VehiCROSS, Sports car and SUV all in-one. PERFECT!!! So anyone out that has that problem the VX is your answer.

BTW Mark about the flood? Yea its very bad up here. Everything I knew as a kid is all gone. Even my parents home. But the towns are rebuilding as they can. Can't go fishing for a long time. Streams and Rivers not safe.

2Bonthewater
12/11/2011, 05:25 AM
Deermagnet is from PA--he can pronounce it!!!! And after checking out his websites....is a very good photographer and fisherman !!

Yeppers........spelling it is a problem........fished the heck out of that river while in college---Garrett College in McHenry, Maryland........Weekly I was able to fish the Youghiogheny River, N. Br. Potomac (upper and lower sections), Savage River and the Casselman and then in PA --- Big Spring Creek and Yellow Breeches

I spend lots of time now wild trout fishing..........it is normally just the woods, the stream, me and hopefully some fish !!!

I can't wait to take the VX on it's first fishing trip..........maybe for steelhead.....or to Penns Creek.......it will have to be a special trip

PS......I was using a 6 foot 2 wt bamboo fly rod for my wild trout adventures, but my father broke it on his last trip to PA.....sniffles........RIP.......that rod has landed some nice fish....both wild and stocked---I had it paired with a Vernley Trout Reel (1930-1940's) power pro phantom red backing and cortland sylk fly line---it was a great combo--- Plenty of pics of that combo on my website
www.2Bonthewater.com

I can pronounce it, I just can't spell it ... maybe because I only lived in Pittsburgh for a year.

VX KAT
12/11/2011, 09:14 AM
Deermagnet is from PA--he can pronounce it!!!!
Yeppers........spelling it is a problem........
www.2Bonthewater.com

:mbrasd:...my bad....sorry Mark....and probably etlsport and a few others too...:mbrasd:

VXjunky
12/11/2011, 10:16 AM
born in slippery rock...left @ 6mos....

VX_SEAN
12/11/2011, 01:05 PM
Hey guys,
Have a '99 astral lined up to hopefully be my DD in about a week. Can't wait to start modding it!

Also, deermagnet, I'm in Scranton, PA. How come I've never seen another VX driving around here? I've been on the lookout for about 4 years now :confused:

VX_SEAN
12/11/2011, 10:41 PM
Come to think of it, I saw one (I assume you) on Keyser Ave at Elaine's diner a few years back. Other than that, one came up in the paper shop about 2 years back, but the seller was unwilling to negotiate on his [too high of a] price. But now I'll have the astral, and I'm pumped!
Nice to know there's some great VX knowledge in the area

kehecross
12/12/2011, 03:24 PM
I am up here in Erie P.a. so I think we have P.a. covered. I am aware of a white one, silver one, and black one, and my Proton here in Erie county.

stonewis
12/19/2011, 01:44 PM
I bought one a month ago. It was an impulse buy. I was test driving a 4 Runner and Xterra. The dealer had a VX on the lot. I made a remark about it looking very different. I didn't think I would buy it. While I was waiting for the car salesman to get a price quote I looked at the VX. When I started it, I fell in love with it and bought it. It's a '99 Ebony Black. It had 87K on the clock. It has flowmaster exhaust (sounds great!) and aftermarket rims. I will post a pic on my profile page.

VXobsession
12/19/2011, 08:03 PM
Welcome to the obsession! Once you get to reading the going-ons here, you'll have a hard time not logging in every day.....

Ldub
12/19/2011, 08:09 PM
Welcome to the obsession! Once you get to reading the going-ons here, you'll have a hard time not logging in every day.....

:yesgray:

Mile High VX
12/20/2011, 06:43 AM

Oh, if only once a day were enough...welcome to the great adventure that is VX!

VXobsession
12/20/2011, 05:14 PM
Ok, let me rephrase....logging in ONCE everyday, and just never logging back off until you go to bed.

gravitylover
12/24/2011, 08:09 PM
Hey peoples! So I'm thinking of "joining the club." These vx's have intrigued me for a long time now and my car got wrecked for me two weeks ago so in my search for a replacement one of these came across the screen and it got me thinking that maybe I should look into it a little further. From what I've read here the last two days you all may have me convinced it's a good move.

My main purpose for the car is a long daily commute in and out of NYC with the accompanying crappy roads and high speed highway running. I do 55 miles each way, 47 of them are highway. Days off are spent mt biking and skiing so more rough roads both snowy/icy and rough dirt are the norm but the chances that I will do any real off roading are pretty slim. I mostly got that out of my system with my old Willys '60 CJ5 and a 70 and 76 FJ55 Cruiser. Top priority is reliability and as long as regular maintenance is done these seem to be pretty good. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm fairly handy, (in a Spicoli voice) have a great set of tools man and am not afraid to dig into things that may be over my head.

I need to be able to rack it up to carry four bikes, two on the rear and two on top, and still have room to put a body box up there for gear or skis. I noticed that the OE bars are too narrow so is there a way to use the long Thule bars with the factory f/r rails that are on the car?

The plan is to get a set of dedicated winter wheels/tires but I'm having a hard time finding the wheel specs so if someone could point me to the right thread I'd appreciate it. Tirerack is only giving me an 18" option for the MY01 that I'm looking at and I think I'd rather go 17 and everything they are showing says fitment may be an issue.

I think I really like the copper one that Richard has at Detail Driven. What can you folks say about his work and what do you think about that particular rig? I certainly don't mind paying more for a truck that's been properly gone through if it means I get to work everyday and don't miss a powder day.

If anybody in the NY metro area has one that I could take a closer look at to get a feel for the truck let me know and I'll come check it out.

A little about me - 45, not too fat or bald :eekgray: and I manage a bicycle shop in SOHO. Work too much and play too hard :) I have 13 year old twin daughters that are brighter than me on the inside (thank goodness) but just as goofy on the outside.

So, is this car a good match for my needs?

Eric

VX KAT
12/24/2011, 09:17 PM
Hey peoples! So I'm thinking of "joining the club." These vx's have intrigued me for a long time now and my car got wrecked for me two weeks ago so in my search for a replacement one of these came across the screen and it got me thinking that maybe I should look into it a little further. From what I've read here the last two days you all may have me convinced it's a good move.

My main purpose for the car is a long daily commute in and out of NYC with the accompanying crappy roads and high speed highway running. I do 55 miles each way, 47 of them are highway. Days off are spent mt biking and skiing so more rough roads both snowy/icy and rough dirt are the norm but the chances that I will do any real off roading are pretty slim. I mostly got that out of my system with my old Willys '60 CJ5 and a 70 and 76 FJ55 Cruiser. Top priority is reliability and as long as regular maintenance is done these seem to be pretty good. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm fairly handy, (in a Spicoli voice) have a great set of tools man and am not afraid to dig into things that may be over my head.

I need to be able to rack it up to carry four bikes, two on the rear and two on top, and still have room to put a body box up there for gear or skis. I noticed that the OE bars are too narrow so is there a way to use the long Thule bars with the factory f/r rails that are on the car?

The plan is to get a set of dedicated winter wheels/tires but I'm having a hard time finding the wheel specs so if someone could point me to the right thread I'd appreciate it. Tirerack is only giving me an 18" option for the MY01 that I'm looking at and I think I'd rather go 17 and everything they are showing says fitment may be an issue.

I think I really like the copper one that Richard has at Detail Driven. What can you folks say about his work and what do you think about that particular rig? I certainly don't mind paying more for a truck that's been properly gone through if it means I get to work everyday and don't miss a powder day.

If anybody in the NY metro area has one that I could take a closer look at to get a feel for the truck let me know and I'll come check it out.

A little about me - 45, not too fat or bald :eekgray: and I manage a bicycle shop in SOHO. Work too much and play too hard :) I have 13 year old twin daughters that are brighter than me on the inside (thank goodness) but just as goofy on the outside.

So, is this car a good match for my needs?

Eric

Welcome Eric-
Lots of good peeps and even better info on this site.
This thread will give you a lot of details and an overview of various issues....also will give you a little flavor of our commeradiere...such that it is...:goof: ...:slap::
http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?p=186141#post186141

There's been many folks in your situation come by here for some insight and to help decide if the VX is for them.

Couple items I thought of from your intro....

RIDE QUALITY - Any way you look at it, the VX is rough riding. It slams over potholes, it's a very loud experience. Many of us have changed to adjustable shocks, and that helped a little. But then we discovered the rear bump stops are usually about 1/2" above the axle ....thus the VERY frequent slamming of the back end as the 1/2" doesn't give it enough room to cushion. So, some of decided to cut the rear bump stops in half. The OEM is about 8" long and is shaped like a figure "*"...we just cut off the bottom half, giving about 4" of additional space before the bumpstop hits the rear axle. MAJOR MAJOR improvement in that REAR SLAMMING.....but it is still a VERY rough riding truck. It's fine on highways. I took a 3800 mile road trip last year and it's winderful on the highway...and the Recaro seats are terrific. But on dirt/gravel/rocky roads...it's still a very rough ride. I live on a dirt/rocky road, so I get to experienced it every day :thumbup:

MPG is abysmal...with a long commute it will cost ya. Generally expect 15-20 stock. It has a 22.5 gallon tank...so you can do the math..... I have larger tires and steel skids and sliders....and full size spare and roof rack and hardware to hold spare....I get about 13....and maybe 16 on highway when I have the roof rack/basket & tire on....maybe 1 or 2 more MPG w/o them.

BIKE Rack- there's a few different models of Yakima Bike racks that fit on top on the OEM bars. Some have added a hitch and mounted a bike rack in the hitch. One active member here "triathlete" (Billy) is a major bike nut, he'll be able to tell you anything and everything about mounting bikes on the VX. He'll know if you can get 4 on there.

WHEEL SPECS specs: the oem wheel is a 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern, +38 mm positive offset with 108 mm center bore. Littlebeast was able to use 100 mm centerbore but be sure they will fit, espically when trying to remove a hot wheel that has expanded.

There's a ton of threads on tire and wheel sizes, etc...

There's several NYers...I can think of a few that are still active here....

Gussie2000 (Queens),
- really nice guy, (Gustavo) very active on forum, ALWAYS looking for a VX get-together.

Hotsauce (Bronxville)

jtirado (Queens)

mike nomy (Massapequa)....but SOLD his a few months ago

NOROADS (Suffern)

nypdnarco69 (Bronx) -
he bought his from Richard at Detail Driven a few months ago. Not real active on the forum though.

ryan1alex2 (Forestville)
- Ryan, new member, just bought his about 2 months ago

Scoobymlr (Chichester) -
just joined this month

Vendetta (New York) -
real nice guy, Lawrence, been more active last few months.

Zadam123 - (Staten Island)-
LONG time owner,since at least '02

Keep reading up on the forum, it has a ton of pertinent data, and many owners are extremely familiar with all aspects of this truck. Always willing to help too! :thumbup:

Forgot to mention....did you see this '01 for sale in Brooklyn: Sounds like it needs a new or rebuilt engine, that's maybe $3,000 - $5,500.
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?p=246157#post246157

gravitylover
12/24/2011, 09:55 PM
Yeah the bump stop thing was one of the first threads I read here. Doesn't surprise me, my Volvo had the same problem and a couple of others I've owned over the years did too. Yeah, ride quality is important but I'm pretty tolerant and willing to try some other susp and tire setups to get what I want. Sometimes it's as simple as different tires but I bet y'all have tried that already.

Woah that's worse than I expected for mpg's. Hmm...

Gonna try sending some pm's and see if I can get a ride in one (or more) of the locals rigs. Thanx for the names Kat.

Haha I actually drove by to take a look at that '01. Stay far away! Vinny the goombah isn't being entirely truthful in his assesment of the car in the ad. It needs more than just a motor. Buy it for a parts car.

VX KAT
12/24/2011, 10:05 PM
Yeah the bump stop thing was one of the first threads I read here. Doesn't surprise me, my Volvo had the same problem and a couple of others I've owned over the years did too. Yeah, ride quality is important but I'm pretty tolerant and willing to try some other susp and tire setups to get what I want. Sometimes it's as simple as different tires but I bet y'all have tried that already.

Woah that's worse than I expected for mpg's. Hmm...

Gonna try sending some pm's and see if I can get a ride in one (or more) of the locals rigs. Thanx for the names Kat.

Haha I actually drove by to take a look at that '01. Stay far away! Vinny the goombah isn't being entirely truthful in his assesment of the car in the ad. It needs more than just a motor. Buy it for a parts car.

Yeah it does look pretty beat....

I'll bet Gussie would be really eager to meet you and let you see his. I don't know the NY geography though so don't know how far it is.

I agree, you do get used to the "ride"....once you love this truck, it doesn't seem to really bother you anymore....now spouses...maybe not so much....:laugho: My hubby says he way prefers to drive it rather than be passenger.

And yes, there are dozens of tire, wheel, lift, suspension, yadda yadda yadda threads on here. Some replace the 18s with 16" rims on the 2000 and 2001s so they can get a fatter sidewall for cushioning (usually for offroad needs)

gravitylover
12/26/2011, 08:15 PM
Thank you for the help! I spoke to one of the local forum members already and bounced pm's off another and am going to go look at their vx's in the next day or two.

Now I'm off to the tech sections here to start figuring out what I want to do and what I will need to do. This afternoon I even read a thread about rebuilding the tranny, that took me out of commission at work for an hour :D because I was wondering if you could put in a taller fourth gear.

I'm really getting psyched and have you people here to blame :slap: Your enthusiasm for the car is contagious.

Gussie2000
12/27/2011, 04:57 PM
Thank you for the help! I spoke to one of the local forum members already and bounced pm's off another and am going to go look at their vx's in the next day or two.

Now I'm off to the tech sections here to start figuring out what I want to do and what I will need to do. This afternoon I even read a thread about rebuilding the tranny, that took me out of commission at work for an hour :D because I was wondering if you could put in a taller fourth gear.

I'm really getting psyched and have you people here to blame :slap: Your enthusiasm for the car is contagious.

Hey eric !
I'll drive to manhattan on friday around 11:00-12:00 although i don't like to go to the city i'll do the ride to meet you (been a while since last i drove over the queens/brooklyn/ or manhattan bridge ) in the name of the VX madness/obssesion.
Last time i were in mahattan on summer time i drove by times square & 42nd street tourists couldn't just stop aiming & shooting their digital cameras @ my shy VX

Vendetta
12/27/2011, 05:14 PM
If you can wait another week, I'll join ya! Mine should be out of the shop by then.
-V

Hey eric !
I'll drive to manhattan on friday around 11:00-12:00 although i don't like to go to the city i'll do the ride to meet you (been a while since last i drove over the queens/brooklyn/ or manhattan bridge ) in the name of the VX madness/obssesion.
Last time i were in mahattan on summer time i drove by times square & 42nd street tourists couldn't just stop aiming & shooting their digital cameras @ my shy VX

Gussie2000
12/27/2011, 05:18 PM
If you can wait another week, I'll join ya! Mine should be out of the shop by then.
-V

Two VX together in downtown manhattan would be a madness LOL. But yes me like the idea
Hey vet i call you fews week ago.

Vendetta
12/27/2011, 05:22 PM
Two VX together in downtown manhattan would be a madness LOL. But yes me like the idea

Right? Anytime you see more than one in the same place you know something's going down!

Didn't get a voicemail from ya, Gussie - new phone so probably didn't have your digits in there. Check your PM and we'll link up!

Merry Christmas my friend!

Gussie2000
12/27/2011, 05:35 PM
Right? Anytime you see more than one in the same place you know something's going down!

Didn't get a voicemail from ya, Gussie - new phone so probably didn't have your digits in there. Check your PM and we'll link up!

Merry Christmas my friend!

Gotcha !
I call you tomorrow V
last week i spotted two VX here in centereach on lake groove road and route 347 (black & firefox droven by ladies.

Vendetta
12/27/2011, 05:38 PM
Gotcha !
I call you tomorrow V
last week i spotted two VX here in centereach on lake groove road and route 347 (black & firefox droven by ladies.

Instant compatibility! (If you weren't already married, that is. :))

Gussie2000
12/27/2011, 05:45 PM
Instant compatibility! (If you weren't already married, that is. :))

LOL
Once the two ladies saw me driving a VX they looked at me like "well,ok"

I told them : we should have a coffee together,i believe we got some things in common LOL

gravitylover
12/27/2011, 06:04 PM
-V

If everything keeps falling into place like this we can wait until mid month and make it 3. SOHO wouldn't know what hit it :dance: It would be even better if we coud get those two ladies to show :)

Have you guys done a NYC meet before?

Scoobymlr
12/27/2011, 06:48 PM
If everything keeps falling into place like this we can wait until mid month and make it 3. SOHO wouldn't know what hit it :dance: It would be even better if we coud get those two ladies to show :)

Maybe even 4 VX's in the city for a meet. The city would STAND STILL for a day...LOL:yesb:

Gussie2000
12/27/2011, 08:33 PM
Maybe even 4 VX's in the city for a meet. The city would STAND STILL for a day...LOL:yesb:

Everybody is welcome to join.
Lets take over manhattan guys.

Gussie2000
12/27/2011, 08:36 PM

Good !
NYC VX meet probably happened.
But tri-state meet was done back in 2009

VX KAT
12/27/2011, 09:41 PM

Everybody is welcome to join.
Lets take over manhattan guys.

Hey Gussie, looks like you're finally goin' to get your New York area VX meet! Yah!! :thumbup:

Gussie2000
12/28/2011, 12:01 AM
Hey Gussie, looks like you're finally goin' to get your New York area VX meet! Yah!! :thumbup:

Yeah !
And for the records it wasn't my idea LOL

gravitylover
01/03/2012, 07:58 PM
Thanx for all the help folks but I randomly walked into a Dodge dealer today and walked out with a big, phat, cushy, black, fast enough 2012 Challenger SXT. Such a nice car for the money.

See y'all on the Mopar side ;)

jeeperkate
01/06/2012, 07:56 PM
Hey guys/gals, my name is Kate and I am in the market for a VX but thought I had better know exactly what I am getting into before the big purchase. I am here in order to learn everything I can before deciding on the one for me! The VX would be my 3rd 4x4 and would be stored in the winter to save it from the salt on the roads here in MN. I think they are so awesome that I can't imagine putting them through the salt!

I am originally a Jeep gal. I wheel my rig pretty hard off-road, and damage is kind of expected. My biggest worry about the VX is the accessibility of parts. I fear damage to a body panels due to a rock/tree/deer/snowbank, whatever. If any of you can shed light on costs and difficulty of repairs please let me know! Like I said, I am used to the abundance of parts both original and aftermarket for my jeep and is the #1 reason I am doubting buying a VX. I love the VX and can't wait to be the owner of one, but I am running a little scared right now.

Thanks for everyone's insight on this website and I can't wait to dig in and start some major research. Please give me any advice you think is important for a VX hopeful!

VX KAT
01/06/2012, 08:31 PM
I am originally a Jeep gal. I wheel my rig pretty hard off-road, and damage is kind of expected. My biggest worry about the VX is the accessibility of parts. I fear damage to a body panels due to a rock/tree/deer/snowbank, whatever. If any of you can shed light on costs and difficulty of repairs please let me know! Like I said, I am used to the abundance of parts both original and aftermarket for my jeep and is the #1 reason I am doubting buying a VX. I love the VX and can't wait to be the owner of one, but I am running a little scared right now.

Thanks for everyone's insight on this website and I can't wait to dig in and start some major research. Please give me any advice you think is important for a VX hopeful!

Hey, welcome to the VX board! Lots of info here and many VERY knowledgeable folks, always willing to help. Check out some of these threads.
If you have other specific questions, shoot me a PM as I have saved many posts and threads on various topics and I might be able to shoot you some info to start with.

1) Here's an overview of some VX issues (I wrote it to another prospective buyer and just copied it again).

Here's the thread it came from, it has some more info:
http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?p=186141#post186141

2) Another really common problem is with the windows. They start binding and often jump the track, the clips that hold the glass break off, sometimes the motor burns out under the strain of trying to push the windows up. Here's some with an overview and some info:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=164965&postcount=8

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=14739&highlight=window+binding

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=4374&highlight=window+binding+track

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=11541&highlight=window+binding

3) Another tool that can help you is this detailed questionnaire we developed last year. It can be used when you're evaluating a VX to buy. It addresses many very specific issues that have arisen in the VX over time.

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=19721&highlight=bumper+reinforcement

VXorado
01/07/2012, 09:28 PM

Many of us wheel our VXs and damage usually isn't a problem. The cladding protects the lower part of the body and it scratches but doesn't easily dent like metal. At this time, its pretty easy to locate a junked VX if you really do some damage. However, there aren't too many aftermarket sources so many things you can buy for a Jeep (like a spare tire carrier :)) have to be custom fabricated.

Good luck with the decision, I sold my Jeep for a VX and haven't looked back :yesb:

jeeperkate
01/08/2012, 11:31 AM
Many of us wheel our VXs and damage usually isn't a problem. The cladding protects the lower part of the body and it scratches but doesn't easily dent like metal. At this time, its pretty easy to locate a junked VX if you really do some damage. However, there aren't too many aftermarket sources so many things you can buy for a Jeep (like a spare tire carrier :)) have to be custom fabricated.

Good luck with the decision, I sold my Jeep for a VX and haven't looked back :yesb:

Thanks for the replies!

I think I have decided to definitely get one, now it is just to find the right one! This will make the 3rd 4x4 in my collection and it would likely get stored in the winter so that it wouldn't see the road salt here in MN. I currently store my Jeep all winter and am very thankful that I have. It makes it SO much easier to work on when I break things on the trail! I'm not sure if I will off-road the VX too much, it might just be my summer vehicle.

I have a friend that does custom fabrication, so hopefully that won't be too much of an issue. He currently makes all kind of extra parts for the Jeeps in my group so I am sure he would be willing to try designing for the VX!

Anyway, I sure hope I find the right VX for me soon. I can't wait to have one I can call my own and join this group of VX lovers!

H3_VX
01/08/2012, 12:12 PM
Hey guys/gals, my name is Kate and I am in the market for a VX but thought I had better know exactly what I am getting into before the big purchase. I am here in order to learn everything I can before deciding on the one for me! The VX would be my 3rd 4x4 and would be stored in the winter to save it from the salt on the roads here in MN. I think they are so awesome that I can't imagine putting them through the salt!

Welcome. I hope you get yours in less time than it took to get mine. :bgwb:

jeeperkate
01/09/2012, 05:21 PM
Welcome. I hope you get yours in less time than it took to get mine. :bgwb:

And how long was that?? I'm hoping not more than a few months, but I will wait for the right one!

Gordon.Vincent1
01/09/2012, 05:44 PM
I have to pull my engine for a rebuild. Has anyone done this without removing the transmission, exhaust etc.

VX KAT
01/09/2012, 07:04 PM
And how long was that?? I'm hoping not more than a few months, but I will wait for the right one!

took him about a year....

VX KAT
01/09/2012, 07:08 PM
I have to pull my engine for a rebuild. Has anyone done this without removing the transmission, exhaust etc.

My tip for the day...for what it's worth....
You'll get a much better response if you post your technical question in an appropriate thread, not the "Introduce yourself" thread....

Also, you'll find quite a bit of info on rebuilds, replacing, trannys, etc... if you use the search function. This site has tons and tons of great info, do some searching you'll find a lot.

Nigel Caffiene
01/12/2012, 11:17 AM
Hello,

I am Nigel, a long-time enthustiast of the venerable VehiCross, and look forward to learning and contributing to the preservation and use of the capable four wheel drive vehicle.

Ciao.

tom4bren
01/12/2012, 01:49 PM
Welcome to the addiction. Hope you have many years of fun behind the wheel ... & on the keyboard.

MarkCT
01/13/2012, 08:14 AM
HI, my name is Mark and I live in SF Bay Area. I am entering the market for a 4x4 to use on muddy roads. I am a private river runner and some of the best whitewater rafting is the day after it rains, and on rivers whose access is dirt roads. (my 2005 2wd Tacoma wont cut it) I have always been interested in the Vehicross since it was introduced. Now my challenge is to find a way to test drive one, before I do more research into buying one. Is there anyone out there that would allow me a test ride? I would take you rafting!

tom4bren
01/13/2012, 09:09 AM
Mark,

According to the map, it looks like member RabidPony is the closest to you. Send him a PM to see if he's interested in rafting.

Also, on the home page is a search function that you can use to search for other members in your area (not everyone put themselves on the map). The search function is on the left side of the screen. Use the drop down to select Members on the first field, leave the second field blank but check the box for advanced search. On the next screen put CA in the state box & then search. All Cali members will show up & you can peruse to find others in your area.

Tom

Nigel Caffiene
01/14/2012, 11:41 AM
Welcome to the addiction. Hope you have many years of fun behind the wheel ... & on the keyboard.

Thank you!

Slideways
01/17/2012, 10:41 AM
^this guy looks familiar...

Nigel Caffiene
01/23/2012, 03:16 PM
^this guy looks familiar...

Fancy meeting you here ;)

Makocross
01/25/2012, 05:47 PM
My name is Mike and I am a VX addict. I got hooked two days ago when I bought a 1999 Ironman. It started a few months ago when I was considering another small SUV. I had several Suzukis in the past and was considering another one. Then I remembered The VX and looked up the blue book price. Finally it was in my price range. I started looking about four months ago and reading this web site. I found one two months ago at a dealer near my house and went test drove it. It was the first one I had seen in person and it drove wonderfully. The only problem was he wanted $9,000. I then went and looked at the "reflectorcross" p.o.s. it was really in bad shape and it finally sold for $3,400. Then I found this one in Orlando. It has 141,000 miles on it but looks new and runs great. It has 22" wheels with new tires plus the original wheels with new tires. It came with killer stereo and Magnaflow exhausts plus boxes of spare parts. I need to replace the timing belt and fabricate front and rear trailer hitches. I can't believe how many people came up and ask what is it(it has been debadged).

Crasca
01/28/2012, 10:20 AM
Hello,
My name is Craig and I am located in the Nashville, Tn. area.
I purchased my 2000 Dragon Green vehicross about 6 months ago, and I absolutely love it. I was actually in the market for a used Pathfinder (Still have my '95) and walked up onto a lot on Sunday..... and there sat my Vehicross. I was in awe! I went home and did some research, went back on Monday and drove it / bought it!
It has 120,000 miles, great condition...runs great, drives great, interior is excellent, brand new Goodyears, stock 18's, etc....I am really enjoying this thing!
Thanks for the Forums - great inf! I am looking forward to upgrading /keeping her for a long, long time!

VXobsession
01/29/2012, 06:48 AM
Welcome to the obsession! You'll find THE best and most accurate info about the VX here, from REALLY passionate VXer's. Congrats on ur new baby!

bcb9112001
02/01/2012, 07:42 AM
Hello everyone, Iam Brad and am looking at a 1999 vehicross, it is a clean car good Carfax report, has 139,000 miles. average I guess for the year. Concerned before I purchase about what I should look for. Timing belt change, brakes, all fluid changes, trans, etc, clean inside and out. I have noticed everyone seems to LOVE the VehiCROSS, of course the rear window concern, and other minor issues. But overall an eye catching auto. Seem to read alot about wheels pealing,hood insert, headlight gaskets, etc.
Anyway I'd like some feedback from owners about the vehicle and what to look for. SHOULD I BECOME A OWNER OF A 1999 VEHICROSS !!!

Thanks Brad (young 59 yrs., looking for a sport SUV) E-mail bcb9112001@hotmail.com

VX KAT
02/01/2012, 09:22 AM
Hello everyone, Iam Brad and am looking at a 1999 vehicross, it is a clean car good Carfax report, has 139,000 miles. average I guess for the year. Concerned before I purchase about what I should look for. Timing belt change, brakes, all fluid changes, trans, etc, clean inside and out. I have noticed everyone seems to LOVE the VehiCROSS, of course the rear window concern, and other minor issues. But overall an eye catching auto. Seem to read alot about wheels pealing,hood insert, headlight gaskets, etc.
Anyway I'd like some feedback from owners about the vehicle and what to look for. SHOULD I BECOME A OWNER OF A 1999 VEHICROSS !!!

Thanks Brad (young 59 yrs., looking for a sport SUV) E-mail bcb9112001@hotmail.com

Welcome Brad-
You've found the right place to learn about the VX...and we're all pretty rabid about it LOL.

We created a questionnaire very specific to the VX and known issues as the truck is now 10-12 yrs old.
Here's the link:
http://vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=210436&postcount=3

Here's a post that gives an overview of several issues.

I've posted a link to a much longer version, with even more detailed questions.
It's still a work in progress, but if you're interested, it may help you learn even more details about this awesome truck we love so much.
http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=19664&highlight=vx+questionnaire

Good luck to you in your search! :wave:

tom4bren
02/01/2012, 09:36 AM
SHOULD I BECOME A OWNER OF A 1999 VEHICROSS !!!

Absolutely

We are all fanatics about our VX though or we wouldn't have joined the forum. Let me just say that we have lost very few owners due to reliability or maintenance issues. Most of the previous members here who have sold their VX has been due to: Life changes, rough ride (mostly those who have back issues), rear seat access (putting kids in car seats), or lack of stowage room with the back seat installed.

Tom

vt_maverick
02/01/2012, 08:14 PM
Make sure you run an AutoCheck report before you buy, they are more accurate than CarFax.

Good luck!

frakkin toaster
02/06/2012, 11:05 PM
hello, im robert. i live near cresson, sw of the dfw area. joined up to learn more about these & to access the for sale section. started looking for a vx this month for my wife. ive always wanted one. looking to get either yellow, gray or silver in great shape. need to stay away from black or red...dont want to spend most of my time cleaning it :p also non-smoking is a must!

dont know much about them so any tips in what to look for would be great. i would like to buy local if possible, but have bought 2 cars off ebay. so as long as the seller is trusted & shipping is fair, i have no probs.

as for my other rides...

93 jdm mkiv surpa ht
00 ws6 t/a
05 swb x-runner
05 ninja 636

molivares
02/08/2012, 01:56 PM
Hi All after looking for months for an affordable vehicross well I finally purchased my first ever vehicross and have only driven it in the parking lot unitl I get plates... it seems to be in excellent condition its a 2001 from Daytona Beach Area it had a few miles on it 133k but so far no issue except the ABS light which seems to be common.. I hope to learn a bunch here on the forum.. So wish me luck with my new little buddy..

tom4bren
02/09/2012, 04:58 AM
Welcome to the family. Best of luck with your new toy.

There are plenty of threads about ABS issues so you'll be able to find the info you're looking for. Basically you just need to decide ahead of time if you want to restore your ABS or just pull the bulb & live without it.

3x2x4sp389
02/11/2012, 10:22 PM
Hello campers!
Came across this 99 Ironman White VX on the bane of my existence, Craigslist.
I have to control my visits to that webplace because I always find stuff to buy and then can never sell it as planned. And even though this is not the ultimate VX, I don't think there are many others with 56k on the clock.
I have been in the printing, graphic design business since high school and that was a looooong time ago. Live in Fountain Valley, CA with my lovely wife of 24 years and have twin sons in college.
Currently have several car projects underway and am looking forward to getting immersed in the VX world.

VX KAT
02/11/2012, 11:09 PM
Hello campers!
I have to control my visits to that webplace because I always find stuff to buy and then can never sell it as planned. And even though this is not the ultimate VX, I don't think there are many others with 56k on the clock.
I have been in the printing, graphic design business since high school and that was a looooong time ago. Live in Fountain Valley, CA with my lovely wife of 24 years and have twin sons in college.
Currently have several car projects underway and am looking forward to getting immersed in the VX world.

Congrats on getting one! Was it local or did you have to drive/ship it home? Pics Pics Pics!!!

I lived in Long Beach for 15 yrs, so I know your very well.
I gotta say...I'm most perplexed by your creative screenname.....:_thinking

rickshaw
02/12/2012, 12:06 PM
Hello campers!

Hey 3x2x4sp389,

Congrats and welcome to the VX community. I'm just south of you in Irvine. Nice to see another VX in Orange County, now that make 4. Interesting thing is I am also in the printing business, 36 years and counting. If you want to meet with another VXer, some of us can be found almost every Saturday morning at Cars and Coffee Irvine. Shoot me a email sometime.

Mile High VX
02/12/2012, 04:50 PM
CoI'm most perplexed by your creative screenname.....:_thinking

Perhap he has a 389 powered vehicle with three deuces and a 4-speed transmission...GTO perhaps

Sangio
02/13/2012, 07:04 AM
Hello Fellow VX Enthusiasts.

I'm a 2001 VX Proton owner (currently Feb '12) based in the Greater Chicago Area. I'm an employee of AT&T and I fortunately get to train commute to downtown Chicago so my VX doesn't have to travel "to and from work". My job with AT&T has nothing to do with cell phone service so pls forgive me if I can't help you there. :)

The interesting thing about my 2001 Proton Vehicross is that it was the last Proton sold in the USA, in July of 2002 from a dealer in Cincinnati OH. I have made 0 modifications and everything to this day is to stock, save the normal wear and tear items.

I look forward to chatting w you all! Ty for hosting (and maintaining) such an awesome site!

H3_VX
02/13/2012, 07:23 AM
Hello Fellow VX Enthusiasts.

I'm a 2001 VX Proton owner (currently Feb '12) based in the Greater Chicago Area. I'm an employee of AT&T and I fortunately get to train commute to downtown Chicago so my VX doesn't have to travel "to and from work". My job with AT&T has nothing to do with cell phone service so pls forgive me if I can't help you there. :)

The interesting thing about my 2001 Proton Vehicross is that it was the last Proton sold in the USA, in July of 2002 from a dealer in Cincinnati OH. I have made 0 modifications and everything to this day is to stock, save the normal wear and tear items.

I look forward to chatting w you all! Ty for hosting (and maintaining) such an awesome site!

Welcome to the addiction.

3x2x4sp389
02/23/2012, 09:57 AM
Congrats on getting one! Was it local or did you have to drive/ship it home? Pics Pics Pics!!!

I lived in Long Beach for 15 yrs, so I know your very well.
I gotta say...I'm most perplexed by your creative screenname.....:_thinking
Hi Kat,
My screenname comes from a song praising my first car love - Lil GTO.
My wife and I met when I lived in Belmont Shore. At that time I had a brand new 86 Landcrusher.
Tried to upload pics but no luck. Will keep trying.
Found my VX at a car dealership in Garden Grove.
Looking to upgrade the wheels/tires - my question is 17's or 18's

tom4bren
02/23/2012, 10:01 AM
Hi Kat,
My wife and I met when I lived in Belmont Shore. At that time I had a brand new 86 Landcrusher.

15's :):):)

VX KAT
02/23/2012, 10:45 AM
Hi Kat,

course it all depends on what your plan/taste is...street, off-road, somewhere in between, lift, no lift, wider tires, etc...etc...etc.....???

I can only recall a handful of owners with 17s....but many with the OEM 18s, often go down to the 16s" cuz there's far more choices and much less costly.

For reference., the OEMs have a positive offset of +38...so keep that in mind when selecting rims. (the other specs are listed here too)
Several have rims with 0, or even a little positive offset...obviously, pushes the rubber out quite a bit.
IIRC "MileHighVX" has 0 offset..(or was it +6 :_thinking), check his gallery for good pics of 18s with that offset.

I have OEM 18s with 285/60-18 tires...so bigger rubber, but no change in offset etc...
OEM size is 245/60-16 for '99, and 18" for '00 and '01.

bcb9112001
02/23/2012, 05:13 PM
Hello out there, I just purchased a 1999 Vehicross, runs great, good condition for being 13 years old. Everything works needs some speakers, but hey thats expected. I believe unless you can change my mind that the forum is old and most posts are years old. I think people have lost interest. I have spent hours looking thru the chat, photos, etc. I'd like to correspond with others, and post some photos. I think the Vehicross is a neat vehicle ahead of its time. I wish I could get some add ons like the skid plates and a front BRA. and maybe find a gathering one day. But with only about 4300 imported for the
three years, Iam sure that number has dropped significantly. Anyway I hope to be able to correspond with others in the future. Have a Great day VXers Brad from FL.

JoFotoz
02/23/2012, 05:21 PM
Ummm...WELCOME.!!!

I believe unless you can change my mind that the forum is old and most posts are years old.WHAT???? I think people have lost interest. I have spent hours looking thru the chat, photos, etc. I'd like to correspond with others, and post some photos. I think the Vehicross is a neat vehicle ahead of its time. I wish I could get some add ons like the skid plates and a front BRAuse the search function and maybe find a gathering one day..Like MOAB in may ...??? But with only about 4300 imported for the
three years, Iam sure that number has dropped significantly. Anyway I hope to be able to correspond with others in the future. Have a Great day VXers Brad from FL.

I think you'll find a pretty active group here.
OK its not 1000's...but start at the Home page...use the search function...

...and I think you'll see .

Welcome to the addiction!

:_steering

Ldub
02/23/2012, 05:23 PM
I believe unless you can change my mind that the forum is old and most posts are years old.

Naaaaa...we're here...:yesgray:

Still answering the same questions that have been asked about a million times...:rolleyesg

Sometimes taking flak for recommending the search function...:yesgray:

Look around, see what's available in the "how to's" & "downloads" sections.(remember to tick the box to "from the beginning")

Enjoy...:yesgray:

Welcome...:flower:

VXorado
02/23/2012, 05:29 PM
Hello out there, I just purchased a 1999 Vehicross, runs great, good condition for being 13 years old. Everything works needs some speakers, but hey thats expected. I believe unless you can change my mind that the forum is old and most posts are years old. I think people have lost interest. I have spent hours looking thru the chat, photos, etc. I'd like to correspond with others, and post some photos. I think the Vehicross is a neat vehicle ahead of its time. I wish I could get some add ons like the skid plates and a front BRA. and maybe find a gathering one day. But with only about 4300 imported for the

We're slowing down, three responses in 16 minutes. We need to work on keeping this community active. :laughing:

All for fun, I'm just giving you a hard time :p

...and welcome to our little community :)

Robbomaz
02/23/2012, 05:50 PM
We're slowing down, three responses in 16 minutes. We need to work on keeping this community active. :laughing:

All for fun, I'm just giving you a hard time :p

...and welcome to our little community :)
I posted something in 1973 - still waiting for a response;eeko;

Ldub
02/23/2012, 05:53 PM
I posted something in 1973 - still waiting for a response;eeko;

Got ya response right here mate...:slap:

:laughing:

Oh crap, we're supposed to act nice in front of the new guy...sorry Rob...:flower:

fildigger
02/24/2012, 04:01 AM
Well i am here now!...putting in my intro' via my smart phone from a field somewhere in England!
When i get back to civilisation and my laptop, i will be back with more about myself and my newly purchased Vehicross...speak soon , thanks,Phil.

Ldub
02/24/2012, 06:55 AM
Well i am here now!...putting in my intro' via my smart phone from a field somewhere in England!
When i get back to civilisation and my laptop, i will be back with more about myself and my newly purchased Vehicross...speak soon , thanks,Phil.

Are you a crop circle...:confused:

hankstrange
02/24/2012, 07:04 AM
I've been smitten with the Isuzu Vehicross from the first time ever I saw the concept in a magazine maybe twenty years ago now, blame that me being a hopelessly wandering romantic artsy fartsy wannabe speed racer science fiction nerdy fan boy. By the time I saw my first VX in sheet metal it was 1999, I was living in New Jersey, newly married, had my first son and was rocking what I thought was a pretty bad *** Mitsubishi Montero Sport Limited fresh off the showroom floor. Until the guy in the Proton flashed past me on the 1 and 9 rocking my world! Then I tried to convince my wife to let me trade the Montero in for a Vehicross. I showed her the commercials, the magazine articles, I begged, I pleaded, Promised I would feed it and clean it, take it for walks and always love it…All to no avail, sure she thought it was cool too, however she wasn't convinced it was the best car for a growing family, and she wasn't moved by my professed love for the VX since when it came to cars (and women, lets be honest) I have what can be called politely, wandering eyes. It didn't help at all that Isuzu was being pounded to death in the media either. In the end I let it go and moved on with life, the VX only popping up in my daydreams and wanderings across the internets. Since then as my wife predicted, I went through cars like I go through candy bars ( eclipse spider, escalade, conversion van, x-type, s2000, golf tdi just to name a few). I stuck with the wife though! Flash forward to a few years ago when we moved to the Gainesville area, there was a guy with an IronMan that I would see every now and then that rekindled the flame. Finally in a moment of extreme weakness (my wife calls my mid-life crisis) I bought my own IronMan from some super shady used car dealers in Tampa. I did a carfax on it to confirm that it was a florida car for its whole life (starting out in Miami), no accidents reported, the chassis was straight and, the body and interior were in pretty good nick, the ac was frosty etc. I took it for a test drive and knew something was up with the engine, I didn't think it was that big of a deal though, so I jumped into the fire with both feet. The VX made it back to Gainesville no problem, then the check engine light came on and I took it to my mechanic to get a verbal beatdown about how bad a decision I'd made without consulting them. To make a long story short I wound up doing an engine swap for a refurb with a 100,000 mile warranty. So far I've pretty much debugged the whole VX, painted the oe rims black, upgraded the stereo, added a back up camera, and almost fixed the power window issues…all with the help and advice from the cool folks on this site. I'm not a joiner at all, however between the car and the invaluable info gleamed from the group I've been convinced to jot down my little adventure so far with the Vehicross…I'm glad I came finally into the fold, thanks for having me, and to any fellow VXers in Florida or anywhere else for that matter hit me up sometime :)

Ldub
02/24/2012, 07:16 AM
WELCOME to the nut house Hank...:thumbup:

fildigger
02/24/2012, 11:12 AM
Are you a crop circle...:confused:

:bgwo:...No i am not a crop circle, aren't they made by humans with big planks of wood strapped to their feet ?......Kinda spoilt the whole Alien theory!

Must give my appreciation to New member 'Hank' (above)....what a great introduction to the Newbie section:winky:....so much better than my brief Hello!

I will be frequenting here often, i don't collect my Vehicross until next Saturday (3rd March) so i dare say i will have plenty to say then...in the meantime and for the past few weeks i have been doing nothing other than researching the Whole Vehicross 'thing'.......Really looking forward to driving the Isuzu.....Hope i like it as much as i'm hoping to !!

Cheers guys.

Amish
02/27/2012, 09:49 AM
New guy here! Just bought my Vehicross on Saturday. Loved them and wanted one for a long time and finally found one to buy. I actually bought mine from a member here (pnwdawg). Already did a few things and of course need to take care of a few issues with it but I'm very happy to finally have one!

I actually come from more of a Euro and Hotrod background and currently have both a 1928 Chevy Coupe I'm building from the ground up (traditional hot rod theme) and a 33 Chevy Sedan Delivery (extremely rare/ next project)

I also do a ton of fabrication with metal, fiberglass, carbon fiber, etc and will be making some new parts soon for the VX as well. Looking forward to getting to know everyone on here and I'll probably be asking for some help with the current issues soon.. - Mike

Ldub
02/27/2012, 10:02 AM
New guy here! Just bought my Vehicross on Saturday. Loved them and wanted one for a long time and finally found one to buy. I actually bought mine from a member here (pnwdawg). Already did a few things and of course need to take care of a few issues with it but I'm very happy to finally have one!

I actually come from more of a Euro and Hotrod background and currently have both a 1928 Chevy Coupe I'm building from the ground up (traditional hot rod theme) and a 33 Chevy Sedan Delivery (extremely rare/ next project)

I also do a ton of fabrication with metal, fiberglass, carbon fiber, etc and will be making some new parts soon for the VX as well. Looking forward to getting to know everyone on here and I'll probably be asking for some help with the current issues soon.. - Mike

W-E-L-C-O-M-E...:yesgray:

Amish
02/27/2012, 11:19 AM
W-E-L-C-O-M-E...:yesgray:

Thanks!:bgwo:

fildigger
02/27/2012, 12:37 PM
Welcome on board Amish....new myself and happy with the activity on here and the feedback i have had so far....certainly more enthusiasm for the VehiCross than i thought there would be!...especially as it has been around for 12 years or so !

A Big 'UP' to the members for that :yesy:

pnwdawg
02/27/2012, 04:33 PM
Congrats Mike,

I'm glad everything worked out I'm truly sad still but I know it went to a good home. Post some pictures updates with new mods when you get around to it ..I'll be lurking =D

From the original owner :Kpaske
2nd owner :Myself
3rd new owner : Amish

All forum members

Mile High VX
02/27/2012, 04:58 PM

Welcome to the addiction Mike!

Plan on making more than one of whatever you do...we love mods...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

Amish
02/28/2012, 10:14 AM
Welcome to the addiction Mike!

Plan on making more than one of whatever you do...we love mods...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

Will do! Anything in particular people are looking for? I have made tons of stuff in the past and had thought (prior to buying the VX) of making a set of cup mirrors to start like the rally versions had, however I'm not sure they'd be a hit since blind spots are probably a concern as it is. Haha.

gordon vincent
02/28/2012, 06:31 PM
I recently spun a rod bearing. I can't save the crank. After reading up on the failure of the stock Isuzu crank, I'm not inthusiastic about putting a stock crank in.
Does anyone know of an aftermarket crank, or even a strokes crank. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Gordon

Ldub
02/28/2012, 06:52 PM
I recently spun a rod bearing. I can't save the crank. After reading up on the failure of the stock Isuzu crank, I'm not inthusiastic about putting a stock crank in.
Does anyone know of an aftermarket crank, or even a strokes crank. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Gordon

AFAIK...:_thinking

OEM Isuzu is the only game in town...:(

Truthfully, I don't think that there is much wrong with the 6VE1, you just have to get used to checking the oil every time you open the fuel door...:yesgray:

And changing the PCV valve OFTEN.

Hooter
03/01/2012, 03:21 PM
Howdy all...I took the jump and joined the Vehicross family. Found a '99 w/ 88k miles and got a deal I'm happy with. I saw a Vehicross one night here in Tulsa and had my g/f drive me past it. I figured I might look like a car thief looking in all the windows but that was all it took for me to be hooked. After a lot of research and shopping I got one I have to pickup from nothern Michigan in about a week (luckily it's my old stomping grounds with a lot of family around there to help me get up to it).

Any issues or things to watch for while I'm driving home? It'll be about 1200 miles all told by time I get back to Tulsa so I figure I'll have a good feel for it by then. I'll try to get a few pics posted when I get it in the driveway and get the road grime off of it.

Have a good day all!

fildigger
03/01/2012, 03:47 PM
Welcome on board Hooter.....i will be picking my first VX up this week-end but only have a 350 mile round trip!

Good luck and enjoy the ride (check the oil level before you set off :yesb:)

Mile High VX
03/01/2012, 04:01 PM
This will help you in your quest...welcome aboard.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=21858

logicdsign
03/01/2012, 05:44 PM
Hey there, VXers!

My name is Lev, and I hail from Queens, NY. Don't own a VX just yet - still in the research phase. Figured I would join the VehiCROSS forum.

I am no stranger to rare, orphaned, quirky vehicles, having owned a Merkur XR4Ti since 1999. Talk about weird LOL. Currently, am driving a Lincoln LS, which is anything but ordinary, as well. My previous daily driver was a fullsize Bronco, which sadly, is now past the point of no return.

In doing my research on the VX, I have learned of the troublesome power windows, oil consumption issues, blown motors, cloudy headlights and poor rearward visibility. All things I'm sure I can deal with, being mechanically inclined (heck, owning a Merkur will teach you how to work on cars whether you like it or not [thankfully, I love wrenching]). The number one thing that concerns me about buying a VX is parts availability. It seems that mechanical parts are not too difficult to source, but what about body parts? Lights, glass, body panels? If I do buy one, it will be my daily driver, and will be parked on the street. NYC is rough on cars, mainly because people here park "by feel" and cars tend to get dinged and sideswiped on a regular basis. If replacements for the cladding, lights and glass are a real pain to source, I may have to do more thinking before I decide to take the plunge or not.

What am I getting at here? Basically, any advice related to the above concerns would be welcome.

Ok, I think this intro post has gone on long enough.

Cheers and thanks in advance!

P.S.: This has got to be one of the most well-organized forums I've seen. Ever.

VX KAT
03/01/2012, 08:37 PM
Hey there, VXers!

My name is Lev, and I hail from Queens, NY. Don't own a VX just yet - still in the research phase. Figured I would join the VehiCROSS forum.

I am no stranger to rare, orphaned, quirky vehicles, having owned a Merkur XR4Ti since 1999. Talk about weird LOL. Currently, am driving a Lincoln LS, which is anything but ordinary, as well. My previous daily driver was a fullsize Bronco, which sadly, is now past the point of no return.

In doing my research on the VX, I have learned of the troublesome power windows, oil consumption issues, blown motors, cloudy headlights and poor rearward visibility. All things I'm sure I can deal with, being mechanically inclined (heck, owning a Merkur will teach you how to work on cars whether you like it or not [thankfully, I love wrenching]). The number one thing that concerns me about buying a VX is parts availability. It seems that mechanical parts are not too difficult to source, but what about body parts? Lights, glass, body panels? If I do buy one, it will be my daily driver, and will be parked on the street. NYC is rough on cars, mainly because people here park "by feel" and cars tend to get dinged and sideswiped on a regular basis. If replacements for the cladding, lights and glass are a real pain to source, I may have to do more thinking before I decide to take the plunge or not.

What am I getting at here? Basically, any advice related to the above concerns would be welcome.

Ok, I think this intro post has gone on long enough.

Cheers and thanks in advance!

P.S.: This has got to be one of the most well-organized forums I've seen. Ever.

We have a parts guru contact, name is Merlin, works in Parts at a former Izuzu dealership. been there for about 14 yrs, he knows Isuzu parts forward and backward. Gives a discount and free shipping.
I've had this convo with him on a few occasions...he says virtually every part is still available....he's NOT encountered one that was NOT available.
Some take 6-8 weeks on back order, but he says they always come through. I most recently talked to him about this maybe 4 months ago.
OTOH...I've heard several owners say they can not get the OEM muffler....but I forgot to ask him about it.

Give him a call...

Merlin
St. Charles Isuzu
MISSOURI
(800) 727-8066

Mention the forum to get discount & free shipping.

Hooter
03/03/2012, 01:26 PM
Welcome on board Hooter.....i will be picking my first VX up this week-end but only have a 350 mile round trip!

Good luck and enjoy the ride (check the oil level before you set off :yesb:)

Yay for us! LOL! Yeah, gotta love them road trips! Looking forward to it already! Hoping for some decent weather when I go since it's been years since I had to drive in serious snow.

SinJin
03/09/2012, 06:46 PM
Hello everyone,

New Ohio VX owner here.
It is a 2000 with 117000 miles. There have been 5 previous owners, so its been around the block a bit. It needs a lot of TLC, hopefully I'm up to the challenge.
I've been thinking about buying one of these for over a year or so now. Its rarity was sort of putting me off though but it is a very interesting vehicle that I can't resist. I'll be using it as a daily driver.
This summer I'll be replacing the weak window motors, the license plate lighting, the front bumper behind the cladding, the leaky exhaust, transmission and the front seat belts.
I'm really looking forward to doing some small mods to it that you guys/gals have gone into detail about, such as projector headlights and foglights. The factory headlights are poorly designed!

See ya around !

VXorado
03/09/2012, 08:01 PM
Welcome, good luck with the work & mods. I'm building some projector headlights myself.

VXmudder
03/11/2012, 04:46 PM
Hey everyone I'm new to these vehicles. Don't have one yet but am looking forward to getting one. Just need to know what to look for with these things. Any problems best year and if any came in manual. Looking forward to talking to you guys and learning about them

Noctis
03/11/2012, 05:03 PM
Newest member here! I lucked out on an Ebony Black with Black/Grey interior. My baby has low mileage and a lot of love and care.

I've been searching for the right one to come along for a decade now, and when I saw her available, I knew she had to be mine.

I look forward to finding the answer to some questions I have about restoration and upkeep, and learning more about my new VehiCross!

~Noctis

Mile High VX
03/11/2012, 05:26 PM
Welcome VXmudder and Noctis!

This is a great group and you'll find lots of help and the occasional chaos that makes VX ownership like none other...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

VXmudder
03/11/2012, 05:55 PM
I know a lot of forms have pages dedicated to new buyer info Can you send me a link

VX KAT
03/11/2012, 08:41 PM
I know a lot of forms have pages dedicated to new buyer info Can you send me a link

Sure do :thumbup:, we have a new buyer (or seller) list we've been using for about 2 yrs, and just last week started to update it, and organize it better.
It's not quite finalized, but it's complete enough to benefit you in your search.

Good luck in your search...there's a few for sale here now. Including one sweet low mileage Foxfire just listed here today....OK, I'm a wee bit biased...
:http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=22151

Click on the "Forums" on left hand side list...then find "Vehicles for Sale", and ALSO "Vehicles For sale found elsewhere". :thumbup:

The file size exceeded the 50k limit, so I have to post the full test here:

VEHICROSS BUYER / SELLER QUESTIONNAIRE

*** oops, the funky characters were supposed to be bullet points...didn't translate from Word ***

Due to the limited production numbers of the VX, and natural attrition over time, the majority of VX purchases are now done long distance/ over the internet. We felt a very detailed, comprehensive checklist, specific to the VX, would be a valuable tool in such transactions.

• It covers many issues that have arisen over time since the model is basically 10 -12 yrs old now.

• It's not a comprehensive list , but more like a roadmap to some key issues to evaluate.

• Pick and choose whatever you want from this list....it's just a tool to get you started.

• Obviously users should still employ the standard smart buying /selling practices.

GENERAL INFO:

• Year
• Color
• Mileage
• Interior Color/s
• Asking Price
• How long have you owned it

ENGINE:

• Original engine? If not, New or Rebuilt?

• CONDITION:

• start easily/readily?

• Run smoothly?

• Any choking, irratic or racing idle? Normal idle is around 750rpm.

• Anything (noises/clunking/whinning etc...) noticed when under load?

• Any oil consumption noted, under ANY conditions?.....dripping, blowing smoke from exhaust or just consuming it

• PCV valve changed?(Thought to play a role in oil consumption)

• Any known issues with engine?

TRANSMISSION:

• Original tranny?

• Shift smoothly between all gears both up and down?

• Any unusual noises, or slipping when shifting/accelerating/ decelerating?

• Gear selected match gear indicated on dash display? Shift mode Sensor ever replaced?

• Any known issues with tranny?

TRANSFER CASE / TOD /4WD SYSTEM/ SUSPENSION:

• TOD (Torque On Demand) - Green Power distribution lights on dash operating correctly?

• 4WD Hi/LO operate correctly

• Original OEM shocks? If replaced – list details

• Lifted or had torsion bars cranked?

• CV Joints & Boots – condition, replaced?

WHEELS/TIRES/BRAKES:

• Wheels - OEM or aftermarket, size/offset - any peeling chrome (’00, ’01 )?

• TIRES

• BRAND:
• MODEL:
• SIZE:
• All 4 match in brand, size, model, air pressure & wear?
 (this is critical because TOD can act up if mis-matched)
• Estimate tread remaining

• Brake Pads (OEM or other) – % remaining

• Rotors (OEM or other) - condition

• Any ABS issues? Functional, repaired?

BODY / UNDERCARRIAGE / EXTERIOR:

• BODY/SHEET METAL:
• Condition, dents, seams uniform, damage, repairs, Color uniformity

• PAINT:
• Condition, chips, scratches, dents, oxidation, fading

• CLADDING:
• Fading, chalky, stains, color uniformity (as new pieces are often darker than old)
• Dents, scratches, damage, painted or coated

• HOOD INSERT:
• Faded, cracked (common)

• Fasteners all present?

• UNDERCARRIAGE:
• Muffler/ Exhaust system

• Overall – scrapes, damage, tail pipe, skid plate, etc…

• RUST INSPECTION:
• Front tube bumper behind cladding (often severely rusts, disintegrates)

• Engine bay, rusted bolts

• Muffler, Tail Pipe

• Fuel tank shield

• License plate light/bracket -(often severely rusts)

• Roof rails -where rails fastened to metal roof

INTERIOR:

• CONDITON OF:

• Seats:...leather, wear, abrasion

• Release levers functional on both seats?

• Rear bench seat (often removed)

• Steering wheel leather

• Center armrest cushion

• Interior door release handles

• Spare tire cover knobs (4 ) (often break off)

• OEM radio or aftermarket

• OEM CD player – still work? (Give error code ERR3, eat CDs?)

• WINDOWS:

• Any binding, jumping track, slow? VERY common.

• Condition of rubber weather strip/gasket

• Regulator or motor replaced?

• SBC metal brackets installed?

• Any indicator lights on/ flashing? such as ABS / TOD / CEL ?

• Any odors such as smoke or dank/damp?

MAINTENANCE/SERVICE/REPAIRS:

• Service history records available?

• FLUIDS: SYNTHETIC or CONVENTIONAL? DATE LAST CHANGED?
• Engine:
• Transmission:
• Transfer case:
• Differential:

• Timing belt changed? (Suggested at 75,000 - 100,000k miles, depending on conditions of use)

• Battery – Age, condition

• Air filter - OEM or after-market?

• Any fluids leaking? 

• Emissions testing (if required) recently?

• Any known repairs?

• Any extra parts on hand?

MISC:

• OEM roof rack (cross bars)?

• OEM rail caps (4) in place and/or available?

• Off road use?

• History of physical location, if possible (i.e. East, West, etc…)

• # Keys and key FOBs, owners manual?

• Any "mods" not mentioned above?

revised 3/8/12

sean_grigoros
03/12/2012, 09:08 PM
my first VX was bought in HK 1997 with Blue metalic, cause I got to move back to Canada, that why I sold vehicle with no choice. then I bought 2000 grey in Toronto in 2002, but my wife wrecked a year after, currently I am look for the third, anyone can help me to locate a VX with good mileage and good condition, i am planning to buy one and keep it, it does have a lots of centmental value for me. hopefully i could get one soon.

evillecutter
03/13/2012, 08:17 PM
hey everyone i recently purchased my 2000 proton yellow vehicross somewhat randomely in my hometown and have been in love with it every since - needs a few minor things here and there but every mechanic i took it to in town to check it out before i bought it said it was the nicest one they had ever seen - i dont think it has been off road much and seems to have been garage kept for most of its life so im hoping to have it for a very long time - cant wait to get it how i want it and see what it can do - my plan is to evantually purchase a different daily driver so i can take it off road more - very glad to be a part of this community and thank you all very much for any help

Ldub
03/13/2012, 08:39 PM
but since day one there is a frinding noise, almost tinny sounding, that comes from underneath sonewhere in the front half of the car, mostly when i start it and sometimes while im driving - mostly if i reach a higher rpm but sometimes just coming off a stoplight from idle - i thought at first it must be some sort of heat shield rattle, but so far i cannot find anything underneath to be the culprit - ive read some discussions before about maye a bearing in the compressor clutch or in one of the pulleys somewhere - anyways, im glad to be here and would love to learn enough from some fellow vehicross lovers to maybe someday give advice of my own - thanks for any help and im glad to meet you all

You'll have better results if you eville cut, & eville paste, that question here (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)...:fyi:

Sure sounds like a heat shield, but...:_confused

Welcome to the obsession...:thumbup:

VehixDad
03/13/2012, 10:07 PM
Whew!
Trying to keep up with my son's VX. I know they have a few quirks but does it have to get them all??? Our 99 has 93,000 on it and I am on my 3rd fuel pump in 6 months. I think I traced it to a loose negative on the battery connection, thanks Wal-mart who installed this in August '11. Their batteries have a small negative post that our connector cannot tighten on. The cable could be lifted off easily by hand. You need to aquire a metal cup (Auto Zone) to put over the terminal to add diameter to the post. Guess what, they did the same thing to my Nissan a couple of months ago and caused the radio, console video and A/C controls to malfunction. Fortunately a hard reset (removing the negative battery ground for 20 minutes booted the controls up right!!! No more Wal-Mart auto. We moved on to the rough idle problem with the lean check engine codes and the cylinder 4 misfire. Cleaned the MAF and Throttle body with proper cleaners, ran a bottle of seafoam and replaced the Pcv valve (need it, no rattle) which did not help. Replaced EGR valve only to get a new insufficent flow code for the EGR. Replaced the Idle Air Control Valve and the throttle position sensor. Car freaked out at 3000 rpm idle. Fortunately I read the posts about the VX "thinking" and needing to be run and shut off a few times so she can figure out what happened. It helped her compensate quicker with idle problems but not totally so into the shop tomorrow for the Intake Manifold Gaskets. She reved a little when spraying starter fluid around the driver side intake. I will also have them clean the EGR tube, intakes and plenum while they have her opened up. I also have a new thermostat and o-ring type gasket for it along with new o-rings and strainer baskets for the injectors. I will also have them replace the o2 sensors for good measure. Hoping for the Throttle body gasket to come today in so they can replace it when they pull it from the intakes. I hope to have good news next week along with some shiny parts!

Buy the way, the VX is in great shape otherwise with no oil loss or burn and no tranny leaks in 4000 miles of ownership. Using Mobile 1. My kid loves this thing and it is a lot of fun to drive and look at. Plan to put her in a car show in April just to confuse the show people. Car or truck or motorcycle categories... oh where oh where will she go? Hopefully they have a "Concept Vehicle Come To Life" category.

Also many thanks to those who have been there before and given some great posts for repairs!

Hooter
03/16/2012, 05:38 AM
Howdy all...I took the jump and joined the Vehicross family. Found a '99 w/ 88k miles and got a deal I'm happy with. I saw a Vehicross one night here in Tulsa and had my g/f drive me past it. I figured I might look like a car thief looking in all the windows but that was all it took for me to be hooked. After a lot of research and shopping I got one I have to pickup from nothern Michigan in about a week (luckily it's my old stomping grounds with a lot of family around there to help me get up to it).

Any issues or things to watch for while I'm driving home? It'll be about 1200 miles all told by time I get back to Tulsa so I figure I'll have a good feel for it by then. I'll try to get a few pics posted when I get it in the driveway and get the road grime off of it.

Have a good day all!

Got it back home yesterday and it cleaned up nice! Had a couple issues I have to look into, main one being when I'd pull a hill it would downshift to get more power but seemed to have a "stutter" as it tried to accelerate (around 2900-3100 rpm). It does fine on a slow, easy accerlation but stutters whenever it downshifts for hard acceleration. Ah well, always gotta have a project to work on or whats the fun? Have a good day all!

vxnewbe
03/16/2012, 07:09 PM
Thanks to this site we made the leap to become a VXer. My wife and I have been looking for awhile but when shopping for a Vx there is not many close to home when you live in Oregon. We saw Roys Vx for sale and not far from home. He was offering it with a ton of extra parts and his service records showed he has already replaced everything at least once. Was a little aprehensive reading about all of you looking for million dollar sensors and dealing with service codes. We fell for it on the first drive. The Oregon coast was starting to leave its mark, rusty bolts here and there but home she came with me grinning all the way. Took two days to sort all the parts and Roy is making a trip over with more next week ( probably offered to come over so he could check up on his Vx that he is letting me use)
For us,Kathy and I are going to put some work into it. Load the roof rack with gear and hit the road in the Pacific North West. If you travel the back roads and see a Vx with a grinning driver that will be me.
Hope to see you out there..........

Thane / Kathy

Ldub
03/16/2012, 07:31 PM
All Y'all just remember to check the crankcase oil @ every petrol fill...:yesgray:

You'll have a happy engine for many miles.

WeLcOmE new folks...:thumbup:

Positiveone
03/17/2012, 09:44 AM
Hello everyone,

I just became a VX owenr in Nov of 2011. I found it on E-Bay and had it shipped to San Diego from TX. I own a White 1999 V-Cross with the Ironman Package.

VX KAT
03/17/2012, 01:16 PM
Hello everyone,

I just became a VX owenr in Nov of 2011. I found it on E-Bay and had it shipped to San Diego from TX. I own a White 1999 V-Cross with the Ironman Package.

Welcome...and even better yet....you have many fellow VXers right near you! Can think of a few.... JoFOTOZ, lasturbo, rickshaw (Irvine)

ThisGuyIndy
03/25/2012, 03:43 PM
Hello all! My name is Chris and I live in Indianapolis. My 40th birthday is coming up in May and I decided to buy myself something I've wanted for a long time. I could not have been any luckier! I found a 2000 VX for sale with only 29,000 miles! And it was located 20 miles from my house. It's been close to a year since I've even seen one on the road and now I own one! I couldn't be happier with it! I'm so happy there is a sight like this. Just a couple questions: How do I post pictures of my VX? And how do I find other VX owners in my area? Thanks!

VX KAT
03/25/2012, 03:49 PM
Hello all! My name is Chris and I live in Indianapolis. My 40th birthday is coming up in May and I decided to buy myself something I've wanted for a long time. I could not have been any luckier! I found a 2000 VX for sale with only 29,000 miles! And it was located 20 miles from my house. It's been close to a year since I've even seen one on the road and now I own one! I couldn't be happier with it! I'm so happy there is a sight like this. Just a couple questions: How do I post pictures of my VX? And how do I find other VX owners in my area? Thanks!

Welcome aboard....great 40th B-day present!

oh, and we're all really nosey.....how much??? we have lots of discussions on prices, current and future values, trends etc... Also, must tell us more....condition/plans/mods, etc...

HOW TO UPLOAD PICS TO YOUR GALLERY:

~To add pics, you first have to "upload" them to your "gallery".

~Go to "Gallery" and click..it's located along the blue horizontal strip toward the top of the page, and it's the second item from the left.

~Then click "Gallery links"...which is also on that blue horizontal border, 7th from the left side. When the list lights up, scroll down to the "Upload Photos" and click.

~Then the screen will show up where you can attach up to 5 pics at a time from your gallery. Look for "Choose file" button, click, and then find the pic on your computer.

~After you've selected up to 5, scroll down about 4 inches and click white button "Upload/Submit". Takes about a minute or so to do it.

~then there's another screen that comes up where you can add text to describe picture/s...than click submit button.

ONCE YOU'VE UPLOADED THE PICS TO YOUR GALLERY....HOW TO ATTACH THEM TO A POST:

~ Start a new post.

~Then on the right side you should see a small gray box titled "My pics" and inside the box there will be the words "Open" in blue letters. Click "open".

~That will take you to your gallery and you just click on which pictures you want to upload to the post.

~You can attach 20 pics per post.

~In the body of the post -Hit a "return/enter" after each picture you attach. Otherwise it doesn't always space the pictures correctly.

****NOTE**** Sometimes, clicking on the picture you want does NOT make it (well, the code language) show up in the box where you are editing. I don't know why this happens, but if it does, I just wait an hour or so and start all over, and it usually works then.

VX KAT
03/25/2012, 04:01 PM
to find others in your area....

~ Go to QUICK LINKS on top blue banner line

~ go to MEMBERS LIST

~On right hand side, right under the page number box, you'll see "SEARCH MEMBER"...click that

~When that box opens, look for "ADVANCED SEARCH" under the entry line. Click that.

~When next screen opens, type in City or State....I'd start with State first and then just scroll thru the column listing cities.....some folks use unofficial city names so you might not always find all those in that area.
But you can try it anyway.

~TIP - glance at the "Last Visit" column......if they haven't visited in a long time, chances are they no longer have one.

bulldog
03/25/2012, 04:16 PM
Aw man did you buy that sweet lookin black one w the nice rims in Indy? I was lookin at it

ThisGuyIndy
03/25/2012, 10:30 PM
Yep! I was the lucky one and I love it!

CatFish
03/26/2012, 06:26 PM
Hi my name is Chris I live in Denver. I have wanted a VX since the first time I saw one and when I found out how it was constructed and the design I wanted one even more, but the price was just too high until now. I have a 1996 Trooper that has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned but it has seen better days and it was time to move on. I started to look around at newer SUVs and found the quality and selection for the price they wanted was just terrible. Then I remembered the VehiCross was one of the vehicles I always wanted and I thought maybe the price is low enough now that I can buy one, so I started looking and I found one that looked promising. It is a 1999, silver with 56,000 miles on it priced at 8,500 so I went to look at it and it was in great shape and the Carfax confirmed the mileage and that is was a second owner. So I commuted to buy it, then they backed out at the last minute so I am still looking. I have had 5 Isuzu’s so I am already a fan and I am ready to get a Vehicross.

Scott Larson
03/26/2012, 07:40 PM
Well Chris, you sure have stumbled upon the perfect place for a VX fan. Great people, great advice and the best knowledge base anywhere on the planet ( Not to be confused with "Planetisuzoo", but I digress...) Welcome aboard, now, GO FEED YOUR ADDICTION!!

fredrick remington
03/29/2012, 05:30 PM
always wanted one finaly i have one.....excited

Ldub
03/29/2012, 07:30 PM
excited

Yeh, I still get that every morning...:thumbup:

Best addiction I've ever had.

The Claw
04/08/2012, 08:33 PM
Hi Everybody, thought I would drop in and let you all know that I bought Braaus's Vehicross in Australia.
Here it is on Stockton beach

https://picasaweb.google.com/100181808870296948041/MyVX?authkey=Gv1sRgCJafntX-pvSWigE#5726341649647589090

I am looking forward to taking it Off Road and seeing what it can do.

A while back I saw a post in this forum showing how to fit a tow hitch to a VX, I can't seem to find it again, can someone help me out with a link?

Also this weekend I broke the roof rack mounts while 4x4 driving in Barrington National Park, Guess I had a little too much weight in the rack, does anyone know which other cars have simliar roof rack mounts so I can try to buy new mounts? Australian shops have never heard of a VX. The local auto shop has hundreds of different mounts for various vehicles, so surely another vehicle uses the same or similar type of mount as a VX?

Hey I just found Tone's hitch mount Pdf but it doesn't open for me
http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Downloads&file=viewarticle&id=47
Any suggestions?

VX KAT
04/08/2012, 11:23 PM
Hi Everybody, thought I would drop in and let you all know that I bought Braaus's Vehicross in Australia.
Here it is on Stockton beach

https://picasaweb.google.com/100181808870296948041/MyVX?authkey=Gv1sRgCJafntX-pvSWigE#5726341649647589090

I am looking forward to taking it Off Road and seeing what it can do.

A while back I saw a post in this forum showing how to fit a tow hitch to a VX, I can't seem to find it again, can someone help me out with a link?

Also this weekend I broke the roof rack mounts while 4x4 driving in Barrington National Park, Guess I had a little too much weight in the rack, does anyone know which other cars have simliar roof rack mounts so I can try to buy new mounts? Australian shops have never heard of a VX. The local auto shop has hundreds of different mounts for various vehicles, so surely another vehicle uses the same or similar type of mount as a VX?

Hey I just found Tone's hitch mount Pdf but it doesn't open for me
http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Downloads&file=viewarticle&id=47
Any suggestions?

Hey welcome!
Sorry to hear you broke some roof rack towers. If you broke one of the black triangular shape towers, bad news, they are not available anywhere on the planet! Believe me, I've tried. I have ONE spare tower that had some damage but I repaired it with JBWeld, so it's probably stronger than it was originally. Some have talked about having the OEM towers fabbed, but no one has actually done it. Also, for reference, the max weight load INCLUDING your basket and any cargo is 110 lbs.
The roof rack is no longer available NEW from ANY source, regardless if a website says they have them...they don't.

A few guys have either made or bought some different "tower" attachments. Check out "RamAirZ", he made a pretty slick one and has several pics in his gallery. He's since sold his VX, but you could still contact him for info if you needed to. I think he wrote up a pretty detailed thread on it to...search for that too.

Tone passed away a few years ago, so nothing is available thru him any more. But, member "Tom4Bren" has been working with a welder (called WelderGuy :laugho:) to replicate the "Tone" hitch. I have one of his early replicas. I have install pics in my gallery if you want to see what it looks like.

Your JDM has a slightly different metal bar/bracket thing on the rear under the cladding, so mine is slightly different than yours. I'm sure some JDM owner like PK will clarify that for me. :thanx:

Tom is working on a 2nd or 3rd version of it. Search "WelderGuy" or look up Tom's posts and you'll find all the info you need. He's doing it right now, so it's very current, think he did a test fitting of the prototype about a week ago. So contact Tom4Bren for more details and to buy one. :thumbup:

Enjoy your VX!

boriquapapi08
04/10/2012, 11:17 PM
Good morning. I'm a new member from NYC. I always loved the VX ever since I first saw one in the dealership back in 99, and had the chance to test drive it. I don't have one at the moment, but I do hope to get one in the next few months. I'm not new to the Isuzu world. I had a 93 Amigo back in my senior year in high school (97) and gave it to my mom to trade, along with her Mirage, when she went buy her 99 Rodeo, since I had left with the army to europe and didn't take the Amigo with me.

VX KAT
04/11/2012, 12:09 AM
Good morning. I'm a new member from NYC. I always loved the VX ever since I first saw one in the dealership back in 99, and had the chance to test drive it. I don't have one at the moment, but I do hope to get one in the next few months. I'm not new to the Isuzu world. I had a 93 Amigo back in my senior year in high school (97) and gave it to my mom to trade, along with her Mirage, when she went buy her 99 Rodeo, since I had left with the army to europe and didn't take the Amigo with me.

Don't know what color or condition or price range you're in, but member "Osteomata" has a really clean, low mileage '01 Proton for sale. Check it out. He's in Miami, FL, but as you may have seen already, many of us have had to travel some distance to get our VXs. SOme fly to the city and drive it home, or some ship it via an auto carrier.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=19502&highlight=proton+miami

There'a also a checklist kind of thing we put together a while back that lists many questions and issues to check on a VX. It's very VX-specific and is kind of like a map of issues and things to specifically look for when evaluating one.

Since this is a group of enthusiasts we recently put together a pretty detailed checklist/questionnaire very specific to the VX and covers many issues that have arisen over time since the model is basically 10+ yrs old on average.
We thought a prospective buyer would be interested in this so you know what to ask about/look for.

Pick and choose whatever you want from this list....it's just a tool to get you started!

Good luck in your search!

DETAILED VX QUESTIONNAIRE /CHECKLIST FOR BUYERS OR SELLERS

ENGINE:
Is it the original engine?

Does it start easily/readily?

Does it run smoothly or is there any strange sounds or hesitation,choking, etc ?

Does it seem to idle smoothly, or is there any irratic racing on the tach, or other irregular idle, etc ?

Anything (noises/clinking/whinning etc...) noticed when it's under load?

Timing belt changed?

Evaluate engine bay- clean? dirty? Any evidence of leaking fluids of any type??
Evaluate fluid levels.

Evaluate air filter- excessively dirty? OEM or after-market?

Any known issues with it?

Any oil consumption noted, under ANY conditions?.....dripping, blowing smoke from exhaust or just consuming it
(some seem to consume a little when on prolonged highway driving)

What type of fluids (synthetic oil or regular, motor oil, diff, tranny, transf case)?

TRANSMISSION:
Is it the original tranny?

Does it shift smoothly between all gears? Both up and down?

Any unusual noises or clunking when shifting?

Is there a slight delay before the gear engages when shifting? (lash)

Any known issues with it?

MISC PERTAINING TO ENGINE & TRANNY:
Any fluids dripping, ever?

Last time & what fluids have been changed?

Any unusual /excessive vibrations in engine or tranny, etc... - very subjective of course

Any problems with motor mounts?

Any unusual flashing of any lights on dash or shifter? (Mode selection switch may be bad)

TOD / 4-WHEEL DRIVE SYSTEM:
Any problems with the TOD (Torque On Demand) system?

Any clunking in tranny when decelerating or accelerating?

BRAND, MODEL AND SIZE OF ALL 4 TIRES

Do all 4 tires match in brand, size, model & wear?

How long have these current 4 tires been on?

Estimate of how much tread remains?

SUSPENSION / BODY / UNDERCARRIAGE / ETC:
Are they still running the original OEM shocks? If not, replaced with what?

Has muffler ever been replaced? What's the status of the current muffler? Rusted, surface rust, etc? OEM, after-market? (Since, as I understand it, these mufflers are no longer available, so an aftermarket one with some modification to the pipes may be required.)

Has it had to go through emissions testing recently? (Some states require for registration, some don't)

Ever been lifted or had torsion bars cranked?

Condition of CV joints and CV boots? (Can be damaged after being lifted)

Battery- status, condition and age

Inspect thoroughly for rust!! Any evidence of rusted bolts anywhere?

Status of front bumper reinforcement bar? (Often rusts off completely)

Status of rear license plate light/socket/bracket -(often severely rusts) -will give indication if it was in a rust belt area.

WINDOWS:
Electric windows work properly or bind?

Condition of window rubber track/gaskets...(many have ripped or been cut)

Look behind door panels to see if vapor barrier is present - (may indicate previous work on windows)

Window regulator /motor been replaced?

BRAKING SYSTEM:
Any ABS issues, dash light illuminated, or other problems?

Original OEM brake pads or replacements?

INTERIOR:
Condition of leather seats...scrapes, rips, tears, wear, abrasion, driver's side seat bolster

Condition of leather steering wheel - (often heavily scraped up)

Condition of inside door opening levers & mechanism (sometimes broken)

Condition of levers that bring seat back forward to allow access to rear seats (often broken)

Condition of 4 screw knobs on interior rear door panel (often break off)

OEM CD player still work correctly or ERR3 code? Any jammed CDs?

Any odors inside, such as smoke or dank/damp?

EXTERIOR:
PAINT: Condition, scratches, dents, oxidation, matching panels, etc...

CLADDING: Evaluate/describe condition of all cladding - scrapes, holes, deformation, dryness, chalky appearance, any evidence of being "painted" or "treated" in any way? Includes Rhino-liner, Line-X, GatorBack, etc...

Are all cladding screws present? Any striped?

Ever taken off road?

OEM or after-market tail pipe?

Status of tail pipe - any deformation may indicate off road use

Status of rear lower cladding & rear gas tank skid plate- scrapes may indicate off road use

Status of undercarriage overall - scrapes, damage, etc... may indicate off road use

Does it have an OEM roof rack?

Are the 4 OEM rail caps in place and/or available?

REPAIRS / SERVICE HISTORY:
Any service history records?

Any known repairs?

Any extra parts on hand?

MISC:
For 2000 and 2001 model, OEM chrome wheels peeling on backside?

Determine the history of the car's physical location, if possible (i.e. East Coast, potential rust, desert, etc)

Any "mods" done not mentioned above?

How long have you owned it?

revised 3/5/12

JNHEscher
04/14/2012, 08:54 AM
Morning, all. Jesse here from central Missouri. I spotted a VX in a friend's back lot about three years ago when I began restoring his Corvette. My first thought was, "What tha..?" Ended up moving to his place so that I could have quicker access to his car and found myself more and more intrigued by this VX. Aparently the original owner owed on it and skipped town off to California. I got the paperwork to apply for an abandoned vehicle title. The process will take about 40 days, but if I'm lucky I'll own it and love it. In the mean time, I love lurking on this forum just because it's such a one of a kind vehicle. I'll post up what happens!

ThisGuyIndy
04/14/2012, 09:24 AM
Good luck Jesse!

whiplash
04/14/2012, 09:43 PM
Hey all, my name's Brian. I've had my VX for almost a year now. Somehow in my town here in Idaho, we used to have 3 VX's. Every time I saw one I swore that if one of them came up for sale I would jump on it like white on snow. Low and behold, about three years after first discovering these crazy rigs and drooling at every sight of one, I stumbled upon a local one up for sale. The next day it was mine and I haven't looked back. It still puts a smile on my face every time I get in it.

pannyj
05/01/2012, 06:46 AM
Hi,
my name is Panny, I am costarrican,
I moved to the wild country side of Costa Rica with a 2006 Tucson 2wd...bad idea..so before it fell apart... tried to sell it..while looking for 4x4 saw this amazing looking car for sale...called, ended up trading cars with the guy who now desapeared...I was so happy about my new 2000 vehicross that didn´t notice until driving 7 hours back to my house that the passenger door glass was missing....yeah..laugh...but it had a really good plastic replacement...now I have been trying to find one and nobody in the whole country is ever seen a car like this and 0 chances in finding my glass R 8-97211-052-2 ..NEED HELP!!
besides this, my car is perfect:p

tom4bren
05/01/2012, 07:05 AM
whiplash,

Welcome to the family. Glad you are enjoying your VX & hope that smile lasts a good long time.

pannyj,

Welcome to the family to you too. Sorry to hear that you have to try & locate a difficult item so soon after buying. The installation will be easy once you find the glass. I suggest you start a thread on the subject rather than your question getting lost in this intro thread.

We could certainly help you out to locate either a used window or new & probably be a go between to get it shipped to you. I'm guessing that shipping will probably be as expensive as the cost of the glass though.

Tom

VX KAT
05/01/2012, 09:57 AM
Hi,
my name is Panny, I am costarrican,
I moved to the wild country side of Costa Rica with a 2006 Tucson 2wd...bad idea..so before it fell apart... tried to sell it..while looking for 4x4 saw this amazing looking car for sale...called, ended up trading cars with the guy who now desapeared...I was so happy about my new 2000 vehicross that didn´t notice until driving 7 hours back to my house that the passenger door glass was missing....yeah..laugh...but it had a really good plastic replacement...now I have been trying to find one and nobody in the whole country is ever seen a car like this and 0 chances in finding my glass R 8-97211-052-2 ..NEED HELP!!
besides this, my car is perfect:p

Contact Lisa (VX Crazy). she's parting out a VX.... may have the glass.
She's in Texas, so at least it's closer to you...a little...

If you had "The UPS Store" pack it professionally, it would probably be safe. It's going to cost WAYYYYYYYY more for shipping than the glass itself.

The price for a NEW window from Isuzu is $224.21
But, former Isuzu dealerships do not ship internationally (at least as far as I know).

JoFotoz
05/01/2012, 12:31 PM
Merlin..at St Charles (ex Isuzu!) sent a window to me overnight in Moab.

Cost was IIRC..about $220 including shipping.

Merlin... 1-800-727-8066

Mention this site...he likes us.

If he cant send it directly to you.......
I'm sure trans shipping via a member here can be arranged.

jo

pannyj
05/01/2012, 03:55 PM
thank you people! I feel better now with some hope... I am new at this forum stuff..one of you mention Lisa..don´t know how to reach her, will call tomorrow the number for merlin but I don´t think I can dial 800 numbers from here..I will sell something to get my glass...unless one of is coming to my country any time soon....free room and food at my place.. :)

pannyj
05/01/2012, 04:33 PM
whiplash,

Welcome to the family. Glad you are enjoying your VX & hope that smile lasts a good long time.

pannyj,

Welcome to the family to you too. Sorry to hear that you have to try & locate a difficult item so soon after buying. The installation will be easy once you find the glass. I suggest you start a thread on the subject rather than your question getting lost in this intro thread.

We could certainly help you out to locate either a used window or new & probably be a go between to get it shipped to you. I'm guessing that shipping will probably be as expensive as the cost of the glass though.

Tom
thank you Tom but don´t know how to start a thread...it says here....You may not post new threads:confused:

Power Wagon
05/01/2012, 04:38 PM
Hey pannyj, any regrets for moving there? Just curious, I heard it's very nice there>

pannyj
05/01/2012, 04:56 PM
Hey pannyj, any regrets for moving there? Just curious, I heard it's very nice there>

not at all...best place I´ve lived...:)

Power Wagon
05/01/2012, 05:00 PM
Tropical climate, warm year round?

pannyj
05/01/2012, 05:04 PM
Tropical climate, warm year round?

yes....:)

Power Wagon
05/01/2012, 05:09 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to get off track. Just curious! LOL

Mile High VX
05/01/2012, 09:04 PM
Might try here:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=20689&page=5

matthewblake
05/09/2012, 03:58 PM
Finally got one! im a huge car guy and have been my whole life. Im 25 now and i can remember seeing this when it first came out. I tried to snag a sweet yellow one in seattle about a year back but it fell through. I was just searching on auto trader and ran across one with pretty low miles about 10 min from me. Its silver with the red recaros and its just awesome! Bummer theres no sun roof but i couldnt pass it! The misses and i will be dining on ramen noodles for a while but it'll be worth it!!

p.s. i really dig all the attention lol! almost punched my buddy for calling it a girl car lol

RickOKC
05/09/2012, 05:36 PM
Congratulations Matthew! You have found the right site to join! These folks have helped me more times than they will ever know.

PS: It's OK to go ahead and punch your buddy - and give him a second one for US! :laughing:

VXR
05/09/2012, 11:51 PM
It's OK to go ahead and punch your buddy - and give him a second one for US! :laughing:

X2:yesb:

Prcdpnknova
05/30/2012, 09:41 PM
Hello New VEHIcross Family!!

My name is Nova, 27 years old born and raised in Las Vegas, NV. I bought my VEHIcross three years ago from my dad who bought the only model at the local Isuzu dealership here in town. When I took over, it had 50k. Right now its at 86k. My dad is the car guru in the family... unfortunately he his no longer here in town and can't help me maintain it as I am very mechanically handicapped. He has always used synthetic oil, never took it off road, etc. I've been really torn between modifying my VEHIcross to fit my personality and keeping it stock, parking it, and reselling it when I'm 75 at an auction! (I'm only kidding... sort of.) I truly need help finding a reliable and capable mechanic here in town who can do routine maintenance on it. When I first got it, I took it to Pep Boys and they totally ripped me off... as a result I am extremely nervous taking it anywhere. So if anyone is in Vegas and can point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

Also, I just want to say thank you to all you other members who have posted questions and answers and what not as I have used the forum in the past to get a lot of answers regarding my VEHIcross.

I look forward to getting to know you guys. Thank you in advance for your patience with all my newbee questions! I'll try and get some pictures posted soon.

Sincerely,

Nova Scialabba

VX KAT
05/30/2012, 10:22 PM

My name is Nova, 27 years old born and raised in Las Vegas, NV. I bought my VEHIcross three years ago from my dad who bought the only model at the local Isuzu dealership here in town. When I took over, it had 50k. Right now its at 86k. My dad is the car guru in the family... unfortunately he his no longer here in town and can't help me maintain it as I am very mechanically handicapped. He has always used synthetic oil, never took it off road, etc. I've been really torn between modifying my VEHIcross to fit my personality and keeping it stock, parking it, and reselling it when I'm 75 at an auction! (I'm only kidding... sort of.) I truly need help finding a reliable and capable mechanic here in town who can do routine maintenance on it. When I first got it, I took it to Pep Boys and they totally ripped me off... as a result I am extremely nervous taking it anywhere. So if anyone is in Vegas and can point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

Also, I just want to say thank you to all you other members who have posted questions and answers and what not as I have used the forum in the past to get a lot of answers regarding my VEHIcross.

I look forward to getting to know you guys. Thank you in advance for your patience with all my newbee questions! I'll try and get some pictures posted soon.

Sincerely,

Nova Scialabba

Hi Nova-
Welcome to the addiction!
Wow, it's great to get a VX that you know the exact history of! (or at least some earlier history).

This forum has a ton of knowledge and a great group of folks very willing to help and share their knowledge. There's always somebody willing to answer questions and help. Sounds like you've already have gotten familiar with the "search" function. :thumbup: There's so much info posted here, and the search can help you find it.

Many owners are ...um...mechanically challenged (like myself)...so that's no problem...:laugho:

Here's a list of every member here that registered and listed LV as their city. You can look at when they last logged in to kind of guess if they're active here.
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/memberlist.php?do=getall

Off the top of my head, I know these two are still very active:

Knigh7s
SilverBullet75

And another that is somewhat active:

chas711USA

You could send them a PM and ask for mechanic recommendations.

Welcome again!

Ldub
05/30/2012, 10:44 PM

Sincerely,

Nova Scialabba

I'd have to say, that's pretty darned good for a first post...:thumbup:

WELCOME...:yes:

Knigh7s
05/30/2012, 11:32 PM
What the last two said!!! :)

It would be cool to meet you sometime, I've met just a few VX owners in person, two were just passer byes and then there were SillverBullet and VX-Kat! lol.

I could probably help you get the basics done, even show you how to do the oil change yourself... hit me up if you have any more questions!

antdag22
05/31/2012, 05:55 PM
Name is Anthony, 37. Been reading your guys posts for a few months now. The info here is very helpful and the posts are great. Just got a 99 black VX with 79k. Always loved the VX since it came out. Found on Craigslist in FL. I tend to get obsessed with my vehicles, but moresoe with this VX. I always loved the design, but I never knew how serious this vehicle was. Way ahead of its time. And nobody makes anything like it to date. I'm honored and privileged to own this Beast. I currently drive: 89 Isuzu I-Mark RS, 06 Lotus Elise, 99 VX.

Mods thus far...

-removed 20 inch chrome wheels and replaced with OEM wheels and tires.
-Mobil-1
-vent visors
-plasti-dipped wheels matte black
-came with tint and Bra.
-More to come.

:yeso:

RickOKC
05/31/2012, 08:09 PM
Welcome to you Antdag22! You've found the right place. All kinds of fun and great information here. :)

RickOKC
05/31/2012, 08:11 PM
Hey Nova,

(I hope this works...) here is a list of AAA Approved shops (http://ww1.aaa.com/services/automotive/shopLocator/shopLocatorSearchResults.xhtml?office=998&dt=1338520123707&appcontext=aaaDotCom&association=AAA&location=CITY|USA086533|Las+Vegas|LAS|UNITED+STATE S&street=&showhf=true&locationName=Las+Vegas%2C+Nv&lang=EN&shopType=MECHANICAL&postalCode=&club=176&recache=&searchRadius=10&memid=&conversationId=559) in LV. I don't know if they're actually "good" shops, but I know the AAA approved garage I use here in OKC is pretty darn awesome! :)

Prcdpnknova
06/02/2012, 12:19 AM
Thanks for posting the links you guys, very helpful! Knigh7s we should definitely get together some time and formally introduce ourselves. I very much look forward to getting to know all you guys better. And welcome Antdagg22!

nairbnuapak
06/02/2012, 11:13 AM
Not much for messing with the computer, kinda illiterate actually. but I guess
I'm supposed to introduce myself. I'm Brian and have a 1999 silver VX w/3.5.
Don't know much about the Vehicross except that I saw one for the first time a few months ago and had to have one. Can't believe I've never seen one and was
wondering if they still make them? Can't wait to try it in the snow. I like all the comments and looks you get from other motorists.

RickOKC
06/02/2012, 12:53 PM
Welcome, Brian! Even if you're not a computer nerd like me, don't forget about this website! There are tons of topics here about fixes & improvements that will save you a lot of headaches because you won't have to "reinvent the wheel" to find solutions to what may be common issues. The PROs here have helped THIS newbie out more times than they will ever know. Even if you have some minor little issue, use the search feature (possible source of an INSTANT answer) or start a new topic to find a solution.

Quick history of the VX... no it's not still in production. About 1800 were built as right-hand drive (steering wheel location) for the Japanese domestic market (JDM) during 1997 & 1998. Then only another 4200 were built as left hand drive for Northern America from 1999 to 2001. THAT'S why you haven't seen many of them! I LOVED driving mine in the snow for the first time a couple years ago. I was simply amazed at how well it did!

Welcome again - stick around and have fun!

Prcdpnknova
06/02/2012, 09:01 PM
Hey Brian, welcome to the forum! Like Rick said, this is a wellspring of VX knowledge. Enjoy your VX!

VX KAT
06/02/2012, 11:58 PM
Thanks for posting the links you guys, very helpful! Knigh7s we should definitely get together some time and formally introduce ourselves. I very much look forward to getting to know all you guys better. And welcome Antdagg22!

....and gals... ;)

:

VXorado
06/03/2012, 06:57 AM
Not much for messing with the computer, kinda illiterate actually. but I guess
I'm supposed to introduce myself. I'm Brian and have a 1999 silver VX w/3.5.
Don't know much about the Vehicross except that I saw one for the first time a few months ago and had to have one. Can't believe I've never seen one and was
wondering if they still make them? Can't wait to try it in the snow. I like all the comments and looks you get from other motorists.

Welcome to the community :)

We're tentatively planning a CO meet in July. Not sure on the dates yet but we'll sort it out soon and post a thread. It will be a good opportunity to meet some local VXers.

Donner
06/06/2012, 09:42 PM
Hey, I hope I'm not intruding here. Since I know several of you from Moab I sometimes read here to know what you all are up to :)
I also posted a link to my Moab 2012 pics in the picture thread.

-Mark

Ldub
06/07/2012, 05:35 AM
Hey, I hope I'm not intruding here. Since I know several of you from Moab I sometimes read here to know what you all are up to :)
I also posted a link to my Moab 2012 pics in the picture thread.

-Mark

INTRUDING...:confused:

Y'all are Stoop-Fam as much as anyone...:yes:

Good to see you here Mark, & thanks for the pics.

MSHardeman
06/07/2012, 08:02 AM
MARK!! Good to have you on board. Hope to see you around here more often.

It was good to see you and your family in Moab again this year, and thanks for leading the second half of Fins and Things on Tuesday. Always a good time.

Donner
06/07/2012, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I'll try to stop in now and then.

JoFotoz
06/07/2012, 07:12 PM
Milo owes me a ringding ...

Thanks for the welcome. I'll try to stop in now and then.

...I cant poop without one now!

Good to see ya :clap:

Jo

Prcdpnknova
06/10/2012, 10:20 PM
....and gals... ;)

:

YES! AND GALS!!!

I do sincerely apologize Kat. Will you ever find it in your heart to forgive me!? :bwgy:

VX KAT
06/10/2012, 10:37 PM
YES! AND GALS!!!

I do sincerely apologize Kat. Will you ever find it in your heart to forgive me!? :bwgy:

oh...OK...I guess I can....
I'll have to meet up with you next time hubby and I are in Vegas. :thumbup:

Prcdpnknova
06/10/2012, 10:45 PM
oh...OK...I guess I can....
I'll have to meet up with you next time hubby and I are in Vegas. :thumbup:

Yes! Please let me know when you come to town. I'll make reservations for you two at my restaurant, BRIO Tuscan Grille. My treat. :)

reddragon
06/17/2012, 12:40 AM
My name is mark and I just picked up a 2001 dragon with 93k miles , runs and drives great. There is only a few things to check out and hope to get some answers from the site.

tom4bren
06/18/2012, 09:38 AM
Grats on the purchase Mark. Welcome to the addiciton.

Mile High VX
06/18/2012, 06:29 PM
Welcome!

Nice choice on the color...:bgwo::bgwb::bwgy::smilewink

vxnewb
06/25/2012, 11:15 PM
Hey guys I just got this 01 vx and I love it! I traded my Impulse rs for it. I loved my Impulse, it was such a good fun car and I do miss it, but I am really liking this vx. Heres a photo of the Impulse I had.... http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/lilcooker03/IMG_2063.jpg

Here is the vx http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/lilcooker03/vehicross.png

I have already learned so much about these cars on this forum...one of the best ive been on for an enthuisiast forum.

tom4bren
06/26/2012, 08:59 AM
Welcome newb.

Are ya gonna change your handle to vx-expert on the 1 year anniversary of ownership?:)

evillecutter
06/26/2012, 09:03 AM
Hey guys I just got this 01 vx and I love it! I traded my Impulse rs for it. I loved my Impulse, it was such a good fun car and I do miss it, but I am really liking this vx. Heres a photo of the Impulse I had.... http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/lilcooker03/IMG_2063.jpg

Here is the vx http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/lilcooker03/vehicross.png

I have already learned so much about these cars on this forum...one of the best ive been on for an enthuisiast forum.

like the blood on the fangs

vxnewb
06/26/2012, 09:13 AM
Welcome newb.

Are ya gonna change your handle to vx-expert on the 1 year anniversary of ownership?:)

Lol i just may hahah

vxnewb
06/26/2012, 09:17 AM
like the blood on the fangs

Yea my buddy has a vinyl shop so we were messin around with some stuff thought it looked alright. Do these come stock with fangs? This one the grill was just painted black.

evillecutter
06/26/2012, 09:26 AM
Yea my buddy has a vinyl shop so we were messin around with some stuff thought it looked alright. Do these come stock with fangs? This one the grill was just painted black.

yeah the fangs are little aluminum clips that snap onto the grill - the paint was coming off of mine so i just took them out anyways until i can get them refurbed

H3_VX
06/26/2012, 09:49 AM
X2 on the bloody fangs. That is cool. Especially since my fav show right now is True Blood. :)

fsilva
07/03/2012, 12:41 PM
Hi, I test drove one back in 99 and fell in love. But too expensive at the time.. Forgot about them over the years, and had other commitments. But finally bought one last week! 1999 model, black. It now resides in Ft. Wayne, IN

Frank