PDA

View Full Version : Introduce yourself here!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

rockhavok
07/07/2012, 08:09 AM
I bought my 01 Proton Yellow VX in May. Had seen a few around, and always admired them. Will be doing a lift eventually, and was hoping for some guidance from other VX owners. My other daily driver is a lifted and locked 93 YJ, so don't let other Jeep guys hassle you. It's nice to get in something that does 0-60 in under 15 minutes, doesn't leak when it rains, and you don't see 600 of every day on your way to work... I also know where there are 2 VX's being parted out in Denver. Thanks everyone!

Mile High VX
07/07/2012, 08:12 AM
I bought my 01 Proton Yellow VX in May. Had seen a few around, and always admired them. Will be doing a lift eventually, and was hoping for some guidance from other VX owners. My other daily driver is a lifted and locked 93 YJ, so don't let other Jeep guys hassle you. It's nice to get in something that does 0-60 in under 15 minutes, doesn't leak when it rains, and you don't see 600 of every day on your way to work... I also know where there are 2 VX's being parted out in Denver. Thanks everyone!

Welcome to the addiction!

VXorado will be a good member to know from the CO area. He's got a great lookin' rig with lots of lift and other goodies.

PM me with some specifics on the VX's being parted out...I'm looking for some minor parts.

CatFish
07/07/2012, 11:03 PM
Nice you got a Proton I wanted that color but I got Ebony one, it had low miles and I felt it was the one for me. I picked mine up in April, I had wanted one since they came out in 99 and now I finaly got one. I am interested in getting a few parts if you could email or PM me with the info on the VXs being parted out that would be great. I am in Denver so I could pick up and even pull the parts myself if I need to.

xtrmes
07/11/2012, 08:39 PM
Well about a week ago I decided to go car shopping. I had found a lifted 04 Trailblazer I was going to buy. But last night decided to do one more web search to see if I missed anything. I came across a 2001 Proton Yellow VX on Auto Trader at a dealer ship a few miles away. I thought it looked pretty cool I had never seen one before. So after a further search I found a 99 Ebony one. With lower mileage and a bit cheaper. And a silver 99 about 3 hours away. But to me I think the Proton yellow makes the truck.
So tonight at 7:00 I find myself at the dealer driving it and signing the papers for it.
I also found this place last night and did some research and learned allot about them. Already have a long list of mods I want to do.

Prcdpnknova
07/11/2012, 10:14 PM
Well about a week ago I decided to go car shopping. I had found a lifted 04 Trailblazer I was going to buy. But last night decided to do one more web search to see if I missed anything. I came across a 2001 Proton Yellow VX on Auto Trader at a dealer ship a few miles away. I thought it looked pretty cool I had never seen one before. So after a further search I found a 99 Ebony one. With lower mileage and a bit cheaper. And a silver 99 about 3 hours away. But to me I think the Proton yellow makes the truck.
So tonight at 7:00 I find myself at the dealer driving it and signing the papers for it.
I also found this place last night and did some research and learned allot about them. Already have a long list of mods I want to do.

Nice! Welcome to the VX family!

ranchero
07/16/2012, 11:37 PM
Hi folks! Just bought one, 1999 with unbelievable miles (180k) )). repainted from silver to black )), but almost complete (including spoiler and roof rack) and still runs, but overheats (head gasket?) Paid $2000, I think it's OK considering everything in Canada more expensive and even if I'd find one in States for 1000, it would be more than 2 grand when crossed the border...
Planning to restore/modify it.

ND92
07/17/2012, 12:16 AM
Ranchero Welcome to the forum EH! Gald to see another Canadian on here.

VX MileHigh
07/23/2012, 12:37 PM
I just bought a VehiCross, 1999 White. I have been sort of looking for one for awhile. I also have a Corvette convertable that I love very much. The only problem with VehiCross is that I haven't actually gotten it yet, I am waiting for it to be shipped. I was looking for an Amigo in the beginning but kind of feel in love with the styling of the VehiCross. I am hoping to get back into playing in mountains on the weekend. I have had a few 4X4's over the years, so far I think my favorite was a 1974 Land Cruiser. I am saying so far because I think I am really like this Isuzu. The vehicle that I bought has about 94K but needs a little TLC. The first thing I plan to do is clay bar the paint, use a cleaner wax and then put a nice high gloss shine on it. From there I will just have to see. Any suggestions about the timing belt? At 94,000 I am thinking that I should think about doing it soon.

tom4bren
07/23/2012, 01:13 PM
Welcome to the addiction ... sounds like it's already started.:)

TheV
07/23/2012, 01:33 PM
Hi fellow VX'ers. I own a 1999 Ironman with 115,xxx on it. Red and black interior. I haved owned since it had 85,xxx. Its the best vehicle I have ever owned. This website is awesome!!!

tom4bren
07/24/2012, 04:52 AM
Hi fellow VX'ers. I own a 1999 Ironman with 115,xxx on it. Red and black interior. I haved owned since it had 85,xxx. Its the best vehicle I have ever owned. This website is awesome!!!

Cool. Yer down in one of my old stompin grounds. I lived in Sattelite Beach back in the early 70's. I hear it's now nothing like I remember it though.

bssage
07/24/2012, 07:20 AM
Hi

My name is Bryan. I was born in 65 and if you can do that math in your head rather than a computer your in my age demographic.

I have a future ex wife and two kids. Cole is turning 12teen (according to him) in three days. He is all boy and a total blast to be around. He likes his video game but will drop what he is doing to play with me. I love that My daughter is 10 and Classic Autistic. She is one of the things that makes life worth living. Sincere, genuine, and beautiful. She has some very challenging behaviors. But I am up for that. My kids are my hobbies and what I love to spend all my free time on. The future exe: not so much.

I live in rural Iowa and as a railroader am on call 24/7/365 so I frequently find myself on unplowed roads or in otherwise in-climate weather. And missing work is not something I do.

I am active in several forums specifically in my areas of interest and am a mod in one. So chances are good I will be a well behaved member. Not a noob to forum's

A tree fell on my Jeep Cherokee and I now have some insurance cash looking for something new. The VX seems to fit the bill. My drive time is My time. And I think I should be able to enjoy that. Also because of my work there are times when the family is sleeping and rather than going strait home I may partake in some virgin snow till the sun come up. Its very rare I have anyone alive in the back seat (jk). And I travel lite so not a lot of need for storage. The only problem I anticipate is not having a cup holder. But I will overcome that.

I have been searching for something unique. Seems like short of a custom paint job every other SuV cant go five miles without seeing another similar ride. I don't want that. I have researched the crap out of these and watched a gadzillion Utube vid's

I want a Vx. Its just a matter of finding one now.

Thanks for listening
Bryan

CatFish
07/24/2012, 07:59 PM
Hi VX MileHigh and Bryan:

XV MileHigh: I live in Denver and I just got my VX in April, I also did a lot of research and spent a few months searching for the one that was right for me. Maybe all of us Locals can get together some time.

Bryan; If you want, I can tell you all about the search and the things I found that were good and bad in my search and what I really like about my VX and a few things that you should know and look for. I am sure you will find a good one.
I also moderate a forum and am the president of a local car club, so I have two vehicle loves of my life now; they are very different so it works well for me.

Welcome both of you,
Chris

DrewsiferxXx
07/29/2012, 07:18 AM
Hey! I am Drew from Alabama.
been a VX fan for years but saw one again in person yesterday. I got to change it's oil and drive it around to the front of the building. a real treat. I want one which is why I am here.
here's my daily driver.
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x135/alcyonequest/IMAG0402.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x135/alcyonequest/IMAG0407.jpg

it's another odd 4wd coupe... I have a type.

VX MileHigh
07/30/2012, 02:10 PM
I may want to pick your brains for awhile until I can figure out what I have gotten myself into. Not only have I started the addiction to the VX but I have a really bad addiction to my Corvette as well. My wife doesn't know what she has gotten into.

Hi VX MileHigh and Bryan:

XV MileHigh: I live in Denver and I just got my VX in April, I also did a lot of research and spent a few months searching for the one that was right for me. Maybe all of us Locals can get together some time.

Bryan; If you want, I can tell you all about the search and the things I found that were good and bad in my search and what I really like about my VX and a few things that you should know and look for. I am sure you will find a good one.
I also moderate a forum and am the president of a local car club, so I have two vehicle loves of my life now; they are very different so it works well for me.

Welcome both of you,
Chris

wh00kah
07/30/2012, 03:55 PM
Hey gang,

Glad to register here. I'm a wannabe VX owner (looking at some that are wayyy too far away from me, but I guess there's always Uship) :)

Born and bred in the South (with a brief stint as a Yankee in CT during my college years) and a big fan of quirky looking rides. I had a 82 Mazda RX-7 complete with back window louvers and the inimitable Wankel rotary engine in high school, then a Honda CR-X in college. I was then handed down a Jeep YJ (square eyes) from my brother who got bored of it and then drove that during my beginning work years for awhile.

Recently my wife and I bought a 2010 Kia Soul (back in 2009 when there weren't a trillion of them on the road) and now I find myself itching for a nice, quirky looking 4x4 for the coming fake apocalypse.

Like some others here, I started out interested in the Amigo, but the unique styling of the VX really blows me away. So curvaceous and such wicked fangs.

Not sure what I'm getting myself into (I'm more a computer innards than a car innards guy), but I'm willing to get my hands dirty within reason.

VX KAT
07/30/2012, 09:27 PM
Hi
I have been searching for something unique. Seems like short of a custom paint job every other SuV cant go five miles without seeing another similar ride. I don't want that. I have researched the crap out of these and watched a gadzillion Utube vid's

I want a Vx. Its just a matter of finding one now.

Thanks for listening
Bryan

Hey! I am Drew from Alabama.
been a VX fan for years but saw one again in person yesterday. I got to change it's oil and drive it around to the front of the building. a real treat. I want one which is why I am here.

Hey gang,

Glad to register here. I'm a wannabe VX owner (looking at some that are wayyy too far away from me, but I guess there's always Uship) :)

Welcome wannabes bssage, Drew, wh00 -

Just FYI....I heard about this one a forum member has for sale. It's in MS, so it's fairly close for you Drew. Not sure if it's within your criteria, but I heard about it and thought I'd mention it. Contact seller directly.

OWNER is "MACsVX" - '01 Kaiser silver
181k runs fine body is in great shape the interior could use some work i mean its 11 years old. The engine is super clean you could eat off it. If interested can email pics. Negotiable.

Hope you all find one!

gunbarrelvx
07/31/2012, 12:13 PM
Hi all,

My Jeep was stolen a month ago so I decided to turn a bad thing good. Just bought a 1999 Silver VX with 115k here in Denver CO. Pretty happy so far. Lost half my storage capacity so it has been a challenge with transporting my bike until I can find a hitch receiver.

Otherwise, loving it. The gas mileage is nice compared to the Cherokee and I get plenty of compliments. Expect to see me posting here more often in the coming weeks and months.

tom4bren
07/31/2012, 12:21 PM
... been a challenge with transporting my bike until I can find a hitch receiver.

Sorry to hear about your Jeep but welcome to the family.

Hopefully I'll be able to help you out with the hitch very soon. We've got the design finalized & waiting for the fabricator to start making them. If you don't want to wait, I've got 1 copy of the old design that I can let you have on the cheap. PM me if interested.

Mondo
08/01/2012, 02:07 PM
Whoo hoo! The Vehicross has been on my bucket list for a long time now, had my eye out and had an opportunity so I took it (2001 Ironman with 53k miles!).

I found this gem buried in the hills of eastern NY, booked a plane ticket, picked it up, and drove it 600+ miles home to Ohio. Spent the night in the back with a sleeping bag (love the fold down seats!) and drove with a smile on my face the whole way home. :bwgy:

DrewsiferxXx
08/01/2012, 06:17 PM
Nice! Sounds like my crazy adventure to get my first subaru xt.... utah and back in under 3 days...
Can't wait to get my VX!

Mile High VX
08/01/2012, 08:47 PM
Whoo hoo! The Vehicross has been on my bucket list for a long time now, had my eye out and had an opportunity so I took it (2001 Ironman with 53k miles!).

I found this gem buried in the hills of eastern NY, booked a plane ticket, picked it up, and drove it 600+ miles home to Ohio. Spent the night in the back with a sleeping bag (love the fold down seats!) and drove with a smile on my face the whole way home. :bwgy:

Welcome...and that smile just never goes away....:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

ramathorn
08/09/2012, 01:07 PM
Hey gang. I've been following the forum for a long time, preparing myself with what to expect when I found the right VX. After a few years of searching, I picked one up for $3500! It doesn't have a clean title, but everything is good to go. Now come the mods and repairs :)

Looking forward to being a part of the family!

JoFotoz
08/09/2012, 01:46 PM
Welcome Ramathorn.
WOW,two years..great patience man!

Is it a salvage title?..no biggie if it all works...
...and a great price/starting point for modding.

Be prepared to get addicted .....:p

Jo

sleveritt
08/10/2012, 10:24 AM
Hey ramathorn,
I too got a pretty but poor condition VX for a great price. I'm glad all of your stuff works, often times the rarity of these vehicles means any minor accident usually "totals" the vehicle because of the expense of the repairs. No worries, go over it with a fine tooth comb (especially structural components) and let the modifications begin. Good Luck!

ramathorn
08/10/2012, 11:18 AM
Thanks guys,

The title was branded in Hawaii, but after a thorough inspection everything looked alright. Not even consuming any oil. 103xxx miles. I'm pretty content.

Already ordered ome912s, roof rack, hid projectors like littlebeasts, and in a hunt for some good tires now. The addiction has begun haha. I had a jeep Rubicon before so i know all about the addiction.

I have a feeling I should make vehicross.info my home page.

princejazzbo
08/14/2012, 08:08 PM
I've been lurking on here for a few months, but having just gotten home from driving home in my Vehicross figured i should post now. I first saw a vehicross a few years ago and wanted one, a few months ago i ended up getting some money together and decided to start looking for one, after numerous failed attempts to track one down i managed to be the winning bidder on a 1999 Astral Silver with a new motor and 31" tires. and after driving 22 plus hours home in it, all i can say is i'm glad i found one i love it.

VX MileHigh
08/15/2012, 01:58 PM
Welcome Princejazzbo,

I too, just got my 1999 Astral Silver by winning bid. I have already started all kinds of projects. I have found everyone here very friendly and helpful.

don moore
08/15/2012, 09:52 PM
Hey gang. I've been following the forum for a long time, preparing myself with what to expect when I found the right VX. After a few years of searching, I picked one up for $3500! It doesn't have a clean title, but everything is good to go. Now come the mods and repairs :)

Looking forward to being a part of the family!

If you get down to Eugene way give me a call.well chew some fat.
Don

princejazzbo
08/15/2012, 09:57 PM
Welcome Princejazzbo,

I too, just got my 1999 Astral Silver by winning bid. I have already started all kinds of projects. I have found everyone here very friendly and helpful.

Yeah the forums have already proven very helpful. my VX has a few issues and have already found some very good information on here. for example i greatly enjoy my music in my vehicles and found that under the driver seat is a great spot to mount an amplifier. it looks amazing and is nice and hidden.

gletom
08/16/2012, 03:00 AM
I am Thomas and I just purchased a 2001 yellow VX with 71k and equipped with a back up camera and gps/vcr setup. I have been looking for a yellow VX for 5 years. Found the right one in FL. It is in great stock shape. I have installed a wood dash, black out front and rear lights ,stubby antenna ,black and yellow neoprene seat covers front/back.{seats were in great shape and I want to keep them that way].Next is the Nerf bar and what I have read that will be a dificult.

ashley2010
08/16/2012, 11:45 AM
HELLO everyone

ashley2010
08/16/2012, 11:48 AM
Hello looking to restore this awesome ride like it need to be but i sure it need some shocks since the back like to rock and roll with a push of the tire hearing some rumble up front on heavy braking so maybe a passager caliber?

ashley2010
08/16/2012, 11:50 AM
anyone know what the tow limit is for these suv looking to buy a 36foot camper

ashley2010
08/16/2012, 11:51 AM
any meets in maryland?

VX KAT
08/16/2012, 12:53 PM

you're kidding....RIGHT?......I HOPE :freek:
They're not even rated to tow, at all, but some owners have towed ATVs, ski-doo's, motorcycle, on a small trailer.....but that's pretty much it!

My 22 ft camper weighs 3,800 empty...I can only imagine how much a 36 footer, filled with stuff would weigh.....I have an 8 cylinder 4WD SUV with a tow rating of 6,500 lbs....and I wouldn't even consider towing a 36'.....let alone with the VX.:freek::freek::freek:

ashley2010
08/16/2012, 01:33 PM
that sucks ok so maybe i look at the 22 ft

Gussie2000
08/16/2012, 02:29 PM

Although few members does tow with the VX isuzu doesn't suggest so because of the TOD

Gussie2000
08/16/2012, 02:34 PM

Yeah you right !!!

And then watch your self heading down the street.

You better sign up for AAA and full coverage insurance........:rolly2:

VX KAT
08/16/2012, 04:09 PM

um, no, I sure wouldn't....most try to limit the TOTAL weight they tow to around 1,000 lbs........

Hcloud13
08/16/2012, 06:37 PM
Hi
Names Doug
New owner here! Picking it up on saturday.
Hope to make some great friend and conncetions.

JMNY
08/18/2012, 06:06 PM
As you can see I became a member in 2002 and have wanted a VX since then....10 years!

I came close a couple of times - but finally - I just brought home a 2001 Proton VX! I bought it from fellow VX member Nerfzooka!

I just drove over 300 miles home - and I was smiling the entire way! :happyface
I CANT STOP LOOKING AT IT......I cant believe it is in my garage.

Mile High VX
08/18/2012, 07:05 PM
Congrats....keep smiling.

I've had mine for almost three years and I still open the garage door every night and look at it!

DJohn'99VX
08/19/2012, 08:56 AM
HI guys and gals. Im not new here but just a lurker and forgot my username and blah blah so i just created a new account. Since i blew the engine in my 99 astra Silver VX a year and a half ago. and didnt have the money to get another. I knew a guy that had a vx in town and his got torn up in the May 22nd Joplin Tornado. So ive been bugging him like crazy to buy it from him. I sold 3 of my other vehicles to get enough money to buy his and have the motor installed. but the VX i bought has only 52k miles on it. as mine has 178k +. So hopefully in the next few weeks i will be kickin it in my VX again.

badsykes
08/20/2012, 10:44 AM
I don't have a VX..I have an Opel Frontera 2.0i sport (Rodeo sport i suppose in US)...I like the VX very much and i want to get as much info about it before maybe geting one in the future...I have 28 years..I live in Romania (Europe) in Constanta..

Cobrajet
08/20/2012, 03:15 PM

Buy the 36' camper and tow the VX! :) (Tom??)

tom4bren
08/21/2012, 05:48 AM

I gotta second what everyone else has said ... don't do it.

I do tow with mine on a fairly regular basis but nothing that big. Even if the 3.5L can get that much weight rolling, it's the stopping and control issues I'd be concerned about. You're talking about towing something that is 3 times the length of the tow vehicle with MASSIVE surface area and surely outweighs the VX.

Something like this could (& probably would happen):

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=195164&postcount=39

Lets take this discussion out of the intro thread if you want to discuss it more.

HeckaTrebeka
08/22/2012, 06:38 AM
Just received my VX on Monday! I love it! Took it from Spokane to Marysville. Went over the pass, saw some beautiful sites, and averaged 18 mpg. Not bad :)

tom4bren
08/22/2012, 08:16 AM
Grats & welcome to our odd little group. Trust me, you'll never get tired of owning her.

chadzu
08/23/2012, 05:41 PM
I have had many isuzus over the last couple of decades. Just added a silver '99 #555. Its done 179K, but seems to be holding up ok.

tom4bren
08/25/2012, 06:27 AM
Grats & Welcome.

highmileage
08/28/2012, 06:58 PM
Hi VXers,

Quite a few Stylus/Impulse/I-Mark owners are getting together this weekend in Raleigh, NC for a national meet. Would any of you be interested in joining us on Saturday night somewhere in the Raleigh area for a photoshoot and some dinner?

I wanted to post this in the events section, but I don't have privileges yet. Any help getting the word out would be appreciated. Isuzu family is family. VXers complete our group. :)

//Adam

VxSport
09/06/2012, 03:32 PM
Well Hello everyone... officially

We have had our 99 Black VX for about 4 years. I have done several mods over the years. I will be working on a seperate thread about the project Mods. But this story is for all those who want to know how this rare vehicle ended up in our garage.

I bought my first Isuzu in '92 (Isuzu Amigo 2.6L 4x4), that is where the look for ZU's started. Over the years I had 4 of those same vehicles and drove them a total of 500K. Last one died in 2011 with 300K on the drivetrain.
I had been following your website for years and doing the research into VX's. My wife and I had looked at a few here and there. I finally found the right one (after 2 years) and bought it over the phone, sight unseen. At this point I kept it all a secret (discovery and purchase) from my wife. On Jan 13, I got up and ready to go snowboarding for the day. I drove to the airport and 2 hours later I was standing next to our new VX, 600 miles from home. I started my trip home, happilly talking to my wife on the phone about how great the snowboarding that day.
So I arrived and stashed the VX in a barn. Now the next part of my plan is to give it to my wife as a gag gift 4 days later on my daughter's first birthday. I made a cake, but a fake mountain on it, with a Hot Wheels VX on it. The Keys were in plastic in the middle, when they were discovered she was confused.
Basicly I said the Hot Wheels was for my daughter, the keys are for my lovely wife, still confused she hit the alarm button (panic) and the window in the restraunt we were in lite up and made noise.

She was amazed.... and speechless. I looked at her, and said I got you back, you see the previous year she had given me the best Birthday present ever. She gave birth to my daughter on my Bday.

Hope you enjoyed the story.
chris

VX KAT
09/06/2012, 03:55 PM
Well Hello everyone... officially

We have had our 99 Black VX for about 4 years. I have done several mods over the years. I will be working on a seperate thread about the project Mods. But this story is for all those who want to know how this rare vehicle ended up in our garage.

I bought my first Isuzu in '92 (Isuzu Amigo 2.6L 4x4), that is where the look for ZU's started. Over the years I had 4 of those same vehicles and drove them a total of 500K. Last one died in 2011 with 300K on the drivetrain.
I had been following your website for years and doing the research into VX's. My wife and I had looked at a few here and there. I finally found the right one (after 2 years) and bought it over the phone, sight unseen. At this point I kept it all a secret (discovery and purchase) from my wife. On Jan 13, I got up and ready to go snowboarding for the day. I drove to the airport and 2 hours later I was standing next to our new VX, 600 miles from home. I started my trip home, happilly talking to my wife on the phone about how great the snowboarding that day.
So I arrived and stashed the VX in a barn. Now the next part of my plan is to give it to my wife as a gag gift 4 days later on my daughter's first birthday. I made a cake, but a fake mountain on it, with a Hot Wheels VX on it. The Keys were in plastic in the middle, when they were discovered she was confused.
Basicly I said the Hot Wheels was for my daughter, the keys are for my lovely wife, still confused she hit the alarm button (panic) and the window in the restraunt we were in lite up and made noise.

She was amazed.... and speechless. I looked at her, and said I got you back, you see the previous year she had given me the best Birthday present ever. She gave birth to my daughter on my Bday.

Hope you enjoyed the story.
chris

:thumbup:
That story is beyond awesome Chris!! Look forward to more pics on the trucklet...(I'm sorry I can't stop calling it that.......well...um...isn't it better than calling it "cute" :p) :laugho:

JMNY
09/06/2012, 06:07 PM
Wow....That is a great story!
Congratulations on both gifts!

JoFotoz
09/06/2012, 06:20 PM
:clap::jump::clap:

Great story...:thumbup:

Jo

enginerd
09/09/2012, 09:25 AM
Hi Everyone,

To be honest, I discovered the VX just a few days ago. I have been looking for a 3rd gen 4runner for months, but haven't found what I wanted. After three disappointing (and long) road trips, I expanded my search to include Passport/Rodeos. My Dad has had a 95 Passport for over a decade. It has been a great truck for him and I love borrowing it.

During my search, I found a low mileage VX locally. I fell in love, but it sold a few hours before I contacted the seller. I'm now infatuated with the Vehicross; I spend all my free-time reading everything I can.

If I buy a good runner, I’ll take care of it and enjoy it. If I find one with a blown motor, I'll replace the engine with an Isuzu 3.2/3.5, GM 3800, or a GM LX5 Shortstar. I’d also like to swap an AR5 and a non-TOD transfer case.

A little about me:
- Profession: Mechanical Engineer
- Daily driver (except during the winter): 02 Mazda Miata
- Notable car projects:

I bought a 76 Fiat 124 Spider in High School. I pulled the engine and replaced all the seals to stop the massive oil leaks. I spent more time working on the car than driving it, but I learned a ton from it.

I bought a 91 Miata in college that wasn’t running. Fixed it with loctite (yes loctite) and drove it for years. Later replaced engine with one from an Escort GT.

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you. Wish me luck on my search.

Thanks,
Eric

Maddawg
09/13/2012, 12:46 PM
There doesn't seem to be much about suspension in the Forums. I bought my VX four years ago after drooling for 7 years. A 2001 Ironman Edition. I thought it would be ideal for off-road use but its barely useable on road. It has the most peculiar suspension of any car I have ever driven. Even the slightest deviation in the road and it will pitch or roll or pitch-and-roll. The stock shocks were blown so I replaced them with Rancho RS9000XL 10-way adjustables. Still the pitch and roll. It may be that I expect more from the car than it can really deliver. If I am off-road I dare not drive faster than 10 or 15 mph. So is this just the "nature of the beast"??

VxSport
09/13/2012, 01:15 PM
It almost sounds like there is still something wrong, broken or wore out. Did the previous owner take off the front sway bar?
Most of us would tare down a dirt road as fast as we can.

Maddawg
09/13/2012, 03:57 PM
Nope, nothing broken or worn out. Yet. But I'm working on it, lol.

karrijp
09/14/2012, 07:27 AM
Hi! I have just bought my first Vx and I am a newbie here! I am all ready full of questions on this great vehicross ride I'm about to get on! Any helpful input from all of you would be greatly appreciated!

Maddawg
09/14/2012, 07:50 AM
Hi! I have just bought my first Vx and I am a newbie here! I am all ready full of questions on this great vehicross ride I'm about to get on! Any helpful input from all of you would be greatly appreciated!

Just ask and you shall receive. I'm a newbie here also though, but whats up?

VxSport
09/14/2012, 09:13 AM
I have never heard of a black ironman.... repainted? Welcome

Maddawg
09/14/2012, 10:34 AM
Exterior Interior 1999 2000 2001 Total

Astral Silver Metallic Black/Red 1021 n/a n/a 1021
Kaiser Silver Metallic Black/Red n/a 57 101 158
Kaiser Silver Metallic Black/Gray n/a 135 251 386
Victory White or Ironman Black/Red 420 96 86 602
Ebony Black Black/Red 564 51 87 702
Ebony Black Black/Gray n/a 138 226 364
Proton Yellow Black/Gray n/a 111 368 479
Dragon Green Mica Black/Gray n/a 125 105 230
Foxfire Red Mica Black/Gray n/a 90 120 210
Pearl White Metallic Black/Red n/a n/a 1 1
Totals 2005 803 1345 4153

VX MileHigh
09/14/2012, 10:57 AM
There doesn't seem to be much about suspension in the Forums. I bought my VX four years ago after drooling for 7 years. A 2001 Ironman Edition. I thought it would be ideal for off-road use but its barely useable on road. It has the most peculiar suspension of any car I have ever driven. Even the slightest deviation in the road and it will pitch or roll or pitch-and-roll. The stock shocks were blown so I replaced them with Rancho RS9000XL 10-way adjustables. Still the pitch and roll. It may be that I expect more from the car than it can really deliver. If I am off-road I dare not drive faster than 10 or 15 mph. So is this just the "nature of the beast"??Funny you should ask this question, I just got my VX back from the shop yesterday. I had it in there for an alignment among other things. They walked me through the numbers from the alignment and they told me that the caster on mine was off just a bit. However, the direction that it was off would be fine. The reason is that if the caster is not right the vehicle will wander because of the crown in most roads. I would suggest that you have the alignment checked and see if the caster is off. Mine drove much better last night and I have the sway bar temporarily unhooked.

Maddawg
09/14/2012, 01:33 PM
Funny you should ask this question, I just got my VX back from the shop yesterday. I had it in there for an alignment among other things. They walked me through the numbers from the alignment and they told me that the caster on mine was off just a bit. However, the direction that it was off would be fine. The reason is that if the caster is not right the vehicle will wander because of the crown in most roads. I would suggest that you have the alignment checked and see if the caster is off. Mine drove much better last night and I have the sway bar temporarily unhooked.
Are you sure it was castor? Its usually camber that causes the car to wander. Castor doesn't come into effect until the car is turning a corner. I did have the camber adjusted a couple of months ago. What I am feeling is definitely in the suspension rather than steering.

Maddawg
09/14/2012, 01:58 PM
I have never heard of a black ironman.... repainted? Welcome
You're right they are all white.

VX MileHigh
09/18/2012, 10:33 AM
Are you sure it was castor? Its usually camber that causes the car to wander. Castor doesn't come into effect until the car is turning a corner. I did have the camber adjusted a couple of months ago. What I am feeling is definitely in the suspension rather than steering.From what I was told it was the castor. The tech explained that because most roads have a crown to them so that water will drain, if the castor is not within tolerance, it could cause the vehicle to wander because of the crowning.

vt_maverick
09/18/2012, 10:57 AM
There doesn't seem to be much about suspension in the Forums. I bought my VX four years ago after drooling for 7 years. A 2001 Ironman Edition. I thought it would be ideal for off-road use but its barely useable on road. It has the most peculiar suspension of any car I have ever driven. Even the slightest deviation in the road and it will pitch or roll or pitch-and-roll. The stock shocks were blown so I replaced them with Rancho RS9000XL 10-way adjustables. Still the pitch and roll. It may be that I expect more from the car than it can really deliver. If I am off-road I dare not drive faster than 10 or 15 mph. So is this just the "nature of the beast"??

I learned a lot about suspensions while trying to diagnose the same problem on my wife's Axiom. Shocks only control part of the vehicle's movement so only replacing them won't necessarily solve your problem. The other thing I learned is that your shocks can go bad as a result of other issues with the suspension, one of those being (in my case) the springs starting to sag.

I would recommend you consider replacing the rear springs or reinforcing them with an Air Lift kit (check this thread (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=22408&highlight=air+lift) for details) as well as consider cutting your spring helpers / bump stops. The combination of the two should keep you from rolling while also reducing the jarring effect when you hit obstacles in the road.

There are other factors that may be at play of course but those are two problem I've personally had to solve. Good luck!

Maddawg
09/18/2012, 07:44 PM
I learned a lot about suspensions while trying to diagnose the same problem on my wife's Axiom. Shocks only control part of the vehicle's movement so only replacing them won't necessarily solve your problem. The other thing I learned is that your shocks can go bad as a result of other issues with the suspension, one of those being (in my case) the springs starting to sag.

I would recommend you consider replacing the rear springs or reinforcing them with an Air Lift kit (check this thread (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=22408&highlight=air+lift) for details) as well as consider cutting your spring helpers / bump stops. The combination of the two should keep you from rolling while also reducing the jarring effect when you hit obstacles in the road.

There are other factors that may be at play of course but those are two problem I've personally had to solve. Good luck!

You're right! I have done all of the above though, including shocks. It didn't help the ride at all. If I drive over a 1/8 thick tar strip in the road, the vehicle feels like it hit a six inch curb. I've just recently had the front end gone through, added new ball joints, nothings loose. Its just a weird jarring, pitching and rolling feeling on mild dips and bumps. I'm thinking it just a goofy car.

tom4bren
09/19/2012, 05:16 AM
Prolly ought to move this discussion out to it's own thread rather than burying it in the intro thread.

Two other things to consider about bump steer:

1. The panhard rod on the rear locates the rear axle. If that's off then it could be the rear suspension causing the bump steer. Look at your rear tires. Do they both line up with the fender the same. Some members have noted a couple of inch shift of the rear axle to the left when they added a lift. Calmini actually included a panhard rod drop bracket with their lift kit for that reason.

2. Ldub had a thread about his waggly rear end. Basically some of his rear suspension mounting holes in the frame had 'egged out' (worn to oval shape). That caused his rear suspension to be loose and allowed for wander as he was driving.

DarthVinny
09/19/2012, 11:57 AM
Hey there VX world. A guy named Bob (i think) approached me in the parking lot of Lowes here in CLearwater FL and told me about this site. I saw my first Vehicross in the beginning of the movie: Mission To Mars, with Tim Robbins, Don Cheadle, and Gary Sinease. Before they were off to Mars, Gary pulled up in a convertible version to a going away type backyard party, and I was floored. So when my Jeep Wrangler was about to take its last breath, I found one VX for sale here in town and I got it. HOWEVER, i have had so many problems with it, I am here really to find some help. So if anyone in my area can help me find some place or someone to assist me, please please contact me. No engine problems, runs great. My issues are windows windows windows, and a few other things. I LOVE my VX and I dont want to ever lose it, but i havent had working windows in 3 years and I just want to be able to go thru a drive thru and not have to open my door to do my business. I would like the wind in my face once in a while. Please help....

tom4bren
09/19/2012, 01:22 PM
Welcome Vinny.

There's lotsa info already on here about the window fix. On the left side of the home page, there is a search function. Select 'forum' from the drop down field & type "window fix" in the other box & hit the search button. There's lotsa reading. Send me a PM if you need help.

Maddawg
09/21/2012, 06:29 PM
How the heck do I start a new thread?? There's nothing in the FAQ's. Probably right under my nose but I can't see it.

VXR
09/21/2012, 06:44 PM
How the heck do I start a new thread?? There's nothing in the FAQ's. Probably right under my nose but I can't see it.

There are quick thread topics on the left side of the home page.

VX KAT
09/21/2012, 09:18 PM
VXR is right, that's the easiest way.

But if you want/need a more detailed category/forum, then another way is to:
click on "FORUMS" from the left hand column.
It then lists every category to pick from.
When you select one, it then shows you a list of recent threads from that category....but you want to click the blue button "New Thread" at the top of the column.

Maddawg
09/22/2012, 10:56 AM
Thanks VXer's!! Okay started a new post labeled, Clad Trimming Revisited. Maybe I can get a little help from those who have done it.

Maddawg
09/22/2012, 11:36 AM
BTW, I was wondering why "Zoid" is next to my avatar? Its not in my Profile and I didn't add it.

VXorado
09/22/2012, 12:14 PM
BTW, I was wondering why "Zoid" is next to my avatar? Its not in my Profile and I didn't add it.

It means you're a "rook" or "noob" :p

...and goes away after so many posts or when you become a site supporter.

VX KAT
09/22/2012, 12:15 PM

that reflects the different levels within the forum, you're a 'zoid until some number of posts, then the next category is "Super VXer".
And if you decide to be a Site Supporter by donating $20/year, your Screen Name will be in SILVER letters.
As a Site Supporter you get to change your avatar to your own pics, get more PM space, and I think something else but I can't recall right now.
I'm proud to be a Site Supporter for $20 as these guys around here have saved me a HEAP of money with help and advice! And it keeps the advertising AWAY!! Yah!

Maddawg
09/22/2012, 01:43 PM
This zoid contributed $20 smackeroos but I don't see it in the contributors listing? Maybe it takes awhile?

Ldub
09/22/2012, 08:23 PM
As a Site Supporter you get to change your avatar to your own pics, get more PM space, and I think something else but I can't recall right now.(larger mb for your gallery)
I'm proud to be a Site Supporter for $20 as these guys around here have saved me a HEAP of money with help and advice! And it keeps the advertising AWAY!! Yah!

Suzie, tha's the mos subtle pitch for S-S I ever seen...:yes:.:thumbup:

Trekkie...any objections?...I'd sincerely L:heart:VE to hear em'...:yesgray:

Little boy, feel free to "pile on" if tha trextr replies...:dance:

This zoid contributed $20 smackeroos but I don't see it in the contributors listing? Maybe it takes awhile?

It shall be done my friend, Boss Man gets kinda busy sometimes with heavy case loads, testification, & check'n scum into the "graybar hotel"...:thumbup:

I'll keep an eyeball on yer status & giv'm a nudge if necc...:cool:

Maddawg
09/22/2012, 09:16 PM
Suzie, tha's the mos subtle pitch for S-S I ever seen...:yes:.:thumbup:

Trekkie...any objections?...I'd sincerely L:heart:VE to hear em'...:yesgray:

Little boy, feel free to "pile on" if tha trextr replies...:dance:

It shall be done my friend, Boss Man gets kinda busy sometimes with heavy case loads, testification, & check'n scum into the "graybar hotel"...:thumbup:

I'll keep an eyeball on yer status & giv'm a nudge if necc...:cool:

Thank you, you're a wonderful person!:)

Ldub
09/22/2012, 09:20 PM
you're a wonderful person!:)

Thas often up for LIVELY debate every now & again...:smilewink

But fear not, your user name will be a sterling shade of gray by weeks end my friend...:yesgray:

And no...I don't mean tomorrow...:rotate:

Cambodia_Vx
09/24/2012, 11:55 PM
Hi Everybody

First of all, I would like to thanks this forum, because all of you helped me to take the right decision. Buy a VX. It tooks 3 months to take the final decision, my wife and my daughter are the one who push me, and we finally bought this car for 3 of us.

I didn't expect to have one, as in cambodia we mostly have Toyota / Lexus. But there was this VX Yellow 2001 in a website for more than 3 months, when my wife ask me to change our Jeep Willis (A2) 1967 to a "normal car" (I don't agree with her) I told her, there is only one car I want it is the Vehicross. She looked at the pictures and looked at me and reply, When? I was trap.

I sent her to check the car, then she came back and admit last week that the first time she seen the car, she touched it and pray by telling the car, "you will be my car". By the way my wife is Thai.

We then went to the process of purchasing it, and finally last friday we received it.
The car was dirt and some part are missing (but I am sure I will find the spare parts with this forum). We spent the week end together even our daughter cleaning the car and make it more beautiful.

This car is already unique, but in Cambodia, it is more unique than ever, this Yellow car in the middle of all the big black Lexus LX570, it is like me, I am european in an asian country.

I will post soon the pictures, but as you understand it is my wife car, and now she is driving all around with it. I decide then to send the Jeep to have a new painting and change some parts.

Thank you again and I am very proud to be one of yours

C.

tom4bren
09/25/2012, 07:17 AM
Welcome. Great story!!!

VX KAT
09/25/2012, 08:18 AM
You've already got the VX fever Cambodia_VX.....in fact your whole family has the fever!!! PERFECT! :thumbup: Welcome to our crazy group!

VXorado
09/25/2012, 08:21 AM
Sending congrats to Cambodia!!!!

Vendetta
09/25/2012, 08:39 AM
Welcome to the family, Cambodia.

Tell us what parts you're looking for, and I'm sure that many here will be happy to help.

Looking forward to seeing pics!
-V

Maddawg
09/26/2012, 09:23 AM
Heheh, that's funny! He wanted it and she's driving it. Men and women, the same world over.

Cambodia_Vx
09/30/2012, 12:38 AM
I have a very stupid question, how to post the pictures of my VX?
Thanks for your help

Ldub
09/30/2012, 03:37 AM
I have a very stupid question, how to post the pictures of my VX?
Thanks for your help

Welcome once again...:yes:

All the info w/ regard to posting & other forum guidelines can be found here (http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=FAQ)...:fyi:

Or here (http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=FAQ&op=viewcategory&cid=7#38), if you can't find it there...:smilewink

Also, :fyi:...the only stupid questions, are those that remain unasked...:smilewink

That being said...the search function (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/search.php) will usually provide answers to most of the commonly asked questions...:yesgray:

Sometimes you'll get stupid answers, but that's usually due to the unusal amount of WARP in the combined sense of humor around here...:laughing:

:luck:

Cambodia_Vx
09/30/2012, 08:28 PM
Dear Ldub and others

Thank you for the help, I just downloaded some pictures of the VX

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=5328

Regards

C.

Ldub
10/01/2012, 06:40 AM
Very nice...:thumbup:

Allison3371
10/01/2012, 01:16 PM
Hi Folks,
I'm a newbie here. I don't have a VX "YET" but hope to in the next week. I have a couple I am looking at. I'm still in the investigative mode though. I really want the Ironman, I'm very fond of the white...but very not so fond of the red/black interior.
I have been eyeballing them for years, and now in a position to get another vehicle and I'm determined to get a VX. My husband suggested I confirm availability of parts before going out and making the plunge. Maybe someone can offer their 2 cents on that subject. Especially if I get the red/black interior and want to switch it out.
I built VW's as a kid and really miss having something I can make my own. (Lift it a little, put some big tires on there, etc) My Benz is no fun for that kind of thing. :)
-Allison

VXorado
10/01/2012, 01:39 PM
Hi Folks,
I'm a newbie here. I don't have a VX "YET" but hope to in the next week. I have a couple I am looking at. I'm still in the investigative mode though. I really want the Ironman, I'm very fond of the white...but very not so fond of the red/black interior.
I have been eyeballing them for years, and now in a position to get another vehicle and I'm determined to get a VX. My husband suggested I confirm availability of parts before going out and making the plunge. Maybe someone can offer their 2 cents on that subject. Especially if I get the red/black interior and want to switch it out.
I built VW's as a kid and really miss having something I can make my own. (Lift it a little, put some big tires on there, etc) My Benz is no fun for that kind of thing. :)
-Allison

Allision,

Welcome to the forum!!!! :)

Parts are still available for the VX. Body panels and exterior components can be tricky to find but not impossible. The VX shares a drivetrain/chasis with a Trooper, so virtually every mechanical part is easy to find. We even have some availablity for basic lift kits and modifications.

Interior parts can also be a challenge to get and you usually have to wait until someone is parting out a VX. I also have an Ironman and don't care for the red interior. There's options if you can't find a blk/grey interior for sale. My door panels have been painted black, steering wheel replaced and seats can be covered or reupholstered fairly cheap.

Good luck with the search.... :smilewink

surf-life
10/05/2012, 07:45 AM
I sold my iron man with a full black interior swap a couple years ago....I really miss it and want to buy it back or a new one. Any one know where it is now? Vin # 1207 :(

VxSport
10/05/2012, 08:16 AM
Welcome...
as our freind vxorado stated so well. searching for what you need (parts, repairs) is the key to owning a vx. I owned mine for a couple years before I learned this.
Interior components of the VX came from the Rodeo, and the Trooper 2Dr (Jappense market) was the base & drivetrain. You can also find some compatable parts on the Axiom ('02-'04).
I didn't really care for the black and red interior, but it grows on you too...

Last of all..... the members on this site are always available and willing to help.

Hi Folks,
-Allison

Allison3371
10/05/2012, 11:18 AM
Thank you for the warm welcome everyone...I'm sure we will get to know each other well. I hope to be an active member on here. I bought my VX today and I'm really excited, not just for my purchase, but to have such a great support system here. It's the 2001 Ironman that was on Ebay in NC. It will be here to me in Chesapeake, VA some time next week. It needs a little work, but nothing too drastic. Passenger window inoperable, windshield crack, etc. Anyone know of any VX togethers down here in southeast VA?

tom4bren
10/09/2012, 07:53 AM
Yah, we get together every now-n-then. I drove up to Baltimore a couple of weeks ago for a meet. I've had a couple of wrenching events in my driveway in Fredericksburg in the past too. I've been thinking about trying to start planning a camping trip next summer at Assatique (sp?). We were shooting for a trip to the Outer Banks last month but it fell through. My wife & I get down to the Williamsburg area several times a year (last weekend as a matter of fact) so there's always an opportunity there as well. The possibilities are endless, it just takes someone to plan it.

Allison3371
10/10/2012, 05:35 PM
I remember my VW Club days...we all had show cars and would caravan through several cities (day trip or weekend trip) 20-30 bugs, what an awesome site. Do you folks ever do that. We would start driving through a few cities and pick up more for the caravan as we went. We'd end up some place for a picnic or whatnot.

On a side note, my Ironman is getting delivered tomorrow night. :)

tom4bren
10/11/2012, 06:07 AM
Grats on gettin your VX tonight.

This event happened back in 2008 in Luray, VA.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/11094/ppuser/2141/sl/e

EDIT:

What Mav said below!!!

I didn't mention the meet at your place since she specifically mentioned 'road trip'. Luray was the only meet I've been to where I could find a pic of us lined up rolling down the road.

vt_maverick
10/11/2012, 06:29 AM
Allison - We did have a Hampton Roads meeting back in 2010, here are the pics:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/3273

The biggest cross-state type gathering each year is in Moab, UT. I went last year and it's a heck of a drive, especially with kids. But it was cool to see so many VX's (and so many different mods) all in one place. Here's a thread fast forwarded to the pictures for you:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=22517&page=2

I live near Blacksburg now but I'm still in HR a couple times a month on business. I usually take a rental but if you and others in the area (Marlin lives in Norfolk) want to have a get together let me know and I'll drive the VX.

Welcome to the group! :thumbup:

VxSport
10/11/2012, 06:36 AM
Hopefully you were able to sleep. too excited? I wasn't able to sleep at all the night before I flew out to go get my vx, I caught a little nap during the fkight, Was standing next to the vx by 10am, driving home (500 miles) we got a chance to get to know each other.

Enjoy your VX.... We all enjoy our rides, and like to share experiences.

I remember my VW Club days...we all had show cars and would caravan through several cities (day trip or weekend trip) 20-30 bugs, what an awesome site. Do you folks ever do that. We would start driving through a few cities and pick up more for the caravan as we went. We'd end up some place for a picnic or whatnot.

On a side note, my Ironman is getting delivered tomorrow night. :)

Allison3371
10/12/2012, 04:50 AM
The VX is home and today is the fine tooth comb day. The Ebay seller detailed it and it looks way more amazing than I expected. He focused on the faults and I think that killed the auction for him. It's in TERRIFIC condition. I'm thrilled. There are a few things it needs right out of the gate. I hope you guys might be able to help me with locating a few things. Should I post in a different thread? I'm still learning the rules of the site. I'd love to share some pictures too.

Ldub
10/12/2012, 05:17 AM
The VX is home and today is the fine tooth comb day. The Ebay seller detailed it and it looks way more amazing than I expected. He focused on the faults and I think that killed the auction for him. It's in TERRIFIC condition. I'm thrilled. There are a few things it needs right out of the gate. I hope you guys might be able to help me with locating a few things. Should I post in a different thread? I'm still learning the rules of the site. I'd love to share some pictures too.

Grats on getting your baby home & in excellent shape...:dance:

You'll most likely never be the same...:smilewink

Yes, by all means, move questions to a new thread, but have a look here (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/search.php) for certain questions that have been answered in the past...

Also, look here (http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=FAQ) for site rules, & how to post pics.

Welcome.

JMNY
10/14/2012, 04:26 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_1349.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=22991)

vt_maverick
10/14/2012, 05:14 PM
Let me help you with that JMNY...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMG_1349.JPG

JMNY
10/14/2012, 06:21 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMG_1363.JPG

RickOKC
10/15/2012, 05:28 PM
Mercy.... that looks terrific!

boelt63A
10/17/2012, 04:18 PM
I am a single professional guy in Florida who first saw the VX when my buddy who is now a Border Patrol agent took me to look at a new one on the Isuzu Lot. At the time I thought it looked a lot like a running shoe on wheels.... neither of us could afford one at the time and the VX slipped from my memory, until a trip to Yosemite in 2011 brought it all back.

I saw a VX in the parking lot of Curry Village and thought that it was a perfect size for me and my Dogs/Gear. I had just turned in my leased German sports car and so the search was on. I missed out on a 2001 Foxfire Red one by only a week this past spring, I still think I like that color the best! I finally landed a 2000 Dragon Green VX with 63K on it in Tampa last month.

Rear Seats are out, Dogs and Gear are in, and the fun is just starting!! :yeso:

tom4bren
10/17/2012, 06:00 PM
Grats 63. Hope she's all you dreamed she would be. Don't worry, that stupid smile on your face won't fade with time.:)

wilmington nc styers
10/18/2012, 06:05 PM
OK,

Guy's and Gal's I live in wilmington nc and I have been looking for one of these beauties for years now and could not get the finances together at the right time.I absolutely love my vx it is still currently stock for the time being.As allot of everybody on here It will get a 3" lift and 32's I am gonna vinyl wrap the whole thing as soon as it arrives www.tiptopsigns sells the vinyl cheap depending on the style you choose.Mine is a 1999 with a 3.2l rodeo engine in it anyone live close by love to go to uwharrie and wheel?

RickOKC
10/18/2012, 07:28 PM
OK,

Guy's and Gal's I live in wilmington nc and I have been looking for one of these beauties for years now and could not get the finances together at the right time.I absolutely love my vx it is still currently stock for the time being.As allot of everybody on here It will get a 3" lift and 32's I am gonna vinyl wrap the whole thing as soon as it arrives www.tiptopsigns (http://www.tiptopsigns) sells the vinyl cheap depending on the style you choose.Mine is a 1999 with a 3.2l rodeo engine in it anyone live close by love to go to uwharrie and wheel?
I've seen Uwharrie mentioned several times here! I can't remember who the regular visitors are (wrong side of the country for me :(), but use the search feature at top of the page. If you dig through those older topics and sort by posts you will find some folks who go there from time to time. Don't hesitate to send private messages to them and you'll probably have some volunteers in no time! I remember seeing references to "Hallowharrie" - that sounds October 31st-ish to me so this might be the perfect time to ask some questions and put together a group! :)

Welcome to the site!

Leon R
10/19/2012, 09:41 AM
I have been lurking on this forum for a few weeks, but I have finally made a deal to purchase my first VX.

I am going to purchase Henry's 2001 Proton

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=23286

And have it shipped to Mass sight unseen. I did this about 11 years ago, when I purchased a Triumph TR7 from southern California and it worked out great!

I am a Mechanical Engineer who has a passion for AWD turbo Mitsubishi's (DSM). I bought my first Eclipse GSX in '91 and have been hooked on them since! Back in the day, I had one of the fastest DSM's (running 10's 7-8 years ago, when it was somewhat unusual ;)), but my serious race car is gone and my latest Mitsu projects are:

'93 Eagle Summit AWD TSI (Eclipse race engine recipient)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3117423/1993-eagle-summit

It is a small, AWD minivan that shocks lot of people running 12.0 in the 1/4 mile

'96 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST (receiving AWD conversion).

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3352558/1996-mitsubishi-eclipse

'80 Triumpth TR7 (VERY LONG term project, being converted to the same 4G63
Mitsu Engine that is normally found in the Eclipse/Talon).

www.reitmanracing.com

All my life, I loved unusual cars, so naturally, I admired VX's since they first appeared in the late 90s. A few weeks ago, as I was looking for Mitsu Outlander as my daily driver, I found an ad for a VehiCross, and that reminded me just how much I liked these cars!

So... I found this forum, did some research and next thing I know, I am talking to Henry about purchasing his VX... It all happened kind of FAST!!!

I am not a bit off-roader, so I will probably keep it as well performing street truck.

HeckaTrebeka
10/19/2012, 10:49 AM
I have been lurking on this forum for a few weeks, but I have finally made a deal to purchase my first VX.
I am not a bit off-roader, so I will probably keep it as well performing street truck.

Sweet, man! Can't wait to see what you do with the 3.5L, unless you decide to do a swap... then I'd be VERY interested in seeing what engine/trans you plop innit!(go for the 5.3 V8! ... or even the 6.0!)

vt_maverick
10/19/2012, 06:46 PM
OK,

Guy's and Gal's I live in wilmington nc and I have been looking for one of these beauties for years now and could not get the finances together at the right time.I absolutely love my vx it is still currently stock for the time being.As allot of everybody on here It will get a 3" lift and 32's I am gonna vinyl wrap the whole thing as soon as it arrives www.tiptopsigns sells the vinyl cheap depending on the style you choose.Mine is a 1999 with a 3.2l rodeo engine in it anyone live close by love to go to uwharrie and wheel?

Send PMs to members Marlin and Joe Darlington, they go every year and can get you hooked up with the group.

roxsanne1
11/06/2012, 09:39 PM
Howdy all I've been a membr since last yr but kinda watched. I have 1999 silver vx and I'm the original owner. I also still have the brochure from the dealership when I bought my vx I was definitely in luv. Poor thing he just sits in the driveway now I'll try and post pictures of him. His name is speedy. Anyone familiar with the movie mission to mars? I know like probably 4 people in the whole world saw it but in the beginning of the movie theres a convertible vx and I just luv seeing it. The movie was on this evening so I thought I'd log on and finally post something. I wish they would have made it I would would have bought it for sure. Well bye for now I'll try to become a more active member unless I decide to sell him, p.s. I'm in S.A., TX

Maddawg
11/07/2012, 02:33 PM
Howdy all I've been a membr since last yr but kinda watched. I have 1999 silver vx and I'm the original owner. I also still have the brochure from the dealership when I bought my vx I was definitely in luv. Poor thing he just sits in the driveway now.

Why is Speedy sitting in your driveway. Did he break:confused:

93 BLue Rodeo
11/07/2012, 07:04 PM
Hello VX enthusiast's,
I'm in the process of purchasing my second Isuzu, but an Astral VX 1999 #517. I can't wait for the day I get it home.
I have had a 93 rodeo 4x4 5spd for the last 3 yrs and have truly enjoyed it. I was the 3rd owner and put a calming pre runner lift and torsion bars, and fixed it up, it only had 178,000kms when I bought it.
I remember when the vehicross 1st came out and though it was the coolest damn vehicle I've ever seen(I was 27)....but up north of the boarder in Canada I have only ever seen 3 of them, 1proton, one black, 1 white Ironman. Very rare up here.

So I'm I the process of getting rid of the rodeo and buying a 99 VX but with Canadian motor vehicle safety regulations and importing its just paper work before I get my VX obsession started.
If anyone is north of the border in Toronto area PM me

bartmanS4
11/08/2012, 08:31 PM
Hello All,
Just bought a fixer upper '99 Astral VX. It has 182,xxx with a replacement trans. Mechanically it's pretty sound but the seats and steering wheel need reconditioning and the paint and cladding is badly weathered. Should be a fun second car though. I'm located in Denver.
Scott

CatFish
11/09/2012, 08:12 AM
Welcome Scott,
There a quite a few of us in the Denver area, maybe you can meet up with us some time. I am hoping we can get together in the next few months.

VCruz_52
11/09/2012, 06:46 PM
Had my VX for almost 3 years now. Ever since I seen my first one I was in love. I had forgotten about them over the years and then seen another one here in Cali, in 4 weeks I had my own. It is in great condition.... then while I was home in TX visiting around 2 years ago now, I took it to a shop to replace a gasket(mom and pop shop from middle of nowhere TX) and less than 300 miles later.... blew the engine :mad: I loved it so much I sold my 1968 Mustang coupe to replace the engine. This last spring things had finally fallen in place and went to go pick it up from the shop.... now there is a transmission problem. AHHHH! (Knocking noise while driving, sounds near the bell housing. Only does it when its in gear, you can let her eat all you want in park and no knocking. So not the engine.) So in the last 2+ years, I have driven it probably 50 miles and it is still in TX.... won't get rid of it. But HOPEFULLY, this late winter or early spring she'll be home.

Maddawg
11/09/2012, 07:12 PM
If you can, slide under and make sure the bolts in the bell housing are torqued down. I had something like that happen to a car I owned years ago. The people that replaced the engine may have forgotten to do that.

iyafyl
11/10/2012, 03:49 PM
I just got my hands on one of these little beasts after a decade of wanting one. Man am I hooked!! My excitement is great enough to likely cause my wife's eyes to soon roll right out of her head. I grabbed a kaiser silver (black and grey interior) with 109k miles for $6k. Other than what seems to be the usual little interior quirks, the VX is in amazing shape. The amount of miles does worry me a bit, but only because I want it to last forever. I lived in Phoenix AZ for 10 years and never found one that anyone would part with, but I moved to Alaska a year ago and WAMMO...got a craigslist hit for this one. There are sooooo many things I want to do to this vehicle. Nothing incredibly rediculous, just mods to strengthen its weaknesses (e.g. window issues). The cost of living here in Juneau is redonkulous, so it may take some time. I'm gonna stop rambling on now and just say I love this thing!!!!

Maddawg
11/10/2012, 04:08 PM
As the rest of us do. Glad to hear from you!

Stevil6531
11/13/2012, 02:04 PM
Hey all!

Glad to be a member of this forum! I have seen so many nice rides here and can't wait to start on mine.

I live in CT and saw mine on Cars.com. I have been semi-actively searching for one of these since 1999 when I saw one as a senior in HS, but never found one that I had to have until now. So...I went and got it! Gotta say, I'm extremely thrilled already about how this little machine performs on the road, I can't wait to see what it does offroad although I have seen pictures from you guys out in Utah and California and I'm convinced this was the right choice for a new ride. Bye bye Dakota, HELLO VX!

Picked mine up in Delaware, so I had to drive from CT but I didn't care. I love this thing.

2001 Proton

Awesome Forum!

Thanks!

tom4bren
11/14/2012, 09:02 AM
Welcome guys. Glad to have you aboard. Even after several years of ownership, it's still a fun drive.

Travisthumb
11/19/2012, 01:19 PM
I can't believe that I've had my VX for over 4 years now and am only now just joining the forum. I'm out here in Golden, CO and sold my 2WD 99' Amigo when I moved CO and was happy to finally have an excuse to buy the vehicle I've always wanted. Anyway, happy to be here

Maddawg
11/19/2012, 02:51 PM
Yeah! Welcome aboard

CatFish
11/20/2012, 03:50 PM
I can't believe that I've had my VX for over 4 years now and am only now just joining the forum. I'm out here in Golden, CO and sold my 2WD 99' Amigo when I moved CO and was happy to finally have an excuse to buy the vehicle I've always wanted. Anyway, happy to be here

Welcome, we are planning to get together in the Denver area soon hope you can make it.

Travisthumb
11/20/2012, 06:54 PM
That would be awesome! Keep me posted

stevx
12/01/2012, 09:32 PM
Hello All,

This is Steve and I bought my 2000 VX from the second owner earlier this year and finally now got around to driving it here and there. Its a weekend car and definately a head turner. I fell in love with the VX when it first came out and always wanted one. I saw many around the country for sale but I always liked the foxfire red. After a year of searching I found my very own foxfire and just bought it out of inpulse. When I told my wife I brought home my new girlfreind she was, well not happy. Since many people have not seen this car and they ask what it is so my license plate says "ITS A VX"

Barracuda
12/03/2012, 12:29 PM
I purchased a 2000 Ebony VehiCROSS a couple weeks ago after being in the market for a new vehicle.

I first saw one a couple years ago and thought (AWESOMEEEE! :yeso:) But seeing as how rare they are the first time I researched them I thought nothing of them.

After a very long time looking for a new vehicle I typed vehicross in my local craigslist listing and BOOM one listing popped up. I thought, "You have to be s%1#ing me!" 73,000 miles. After a thorough inspection I snagged it! Cleared the check engine light cleaning the EGR. And starting adding stuff.

MB TKO wheels 18"
Hankook P255/60R18 107T tires
New Kenwood speakers and headunit (Put in myself. Holy Jesus, not doing that again.)
Next is window tint and lighting.

Location Nashville, TN
I have dubbed her Medusa !
Seemed proper with its snake like front features and the fact people tend to stare!

So fun to drive! Here be the pics!

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/23088

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/23089

tom4bren
12/03/2012, 01:04 PM
SWEEEET!!!

Welcome to the addiction.

Tommerrim
12/06/2012, 10:59 PM
I have to post there after joining forum but forget...
Here is newbie, my friend told me about this forum and unique threads for getting knowledge about car's accessories. I just like to conversation on it with member which help to remove my weakness.

shazdamn
12/06/2012, 11:07 PM
I had owned a red 1993 iszuzu amigo 4x4 for 5 years. My family outgrew it and i was forced to sell and buy bigger. I have owned several trucks since and still miss my amigo. So when researching amigos the vehicross popped up and it was love at first sight! I must have one! I am looking everyday for the right package i really like the ebony. If anyone can help me in my quest it would be much appreciated.

the straw that stoked the camel's sack

Maddawg
12/07/2012, 08:44 AM
There are several good web sites if none are available here. One is www.Cars.com.

daniel
12/14/2012, 03:01 AM
Greetings VXers!
Well, after a 6 year hiatus, I am officially a VX owner again.
I had a 2001 Ebony back in mid-00's. I ended up selling it to a Russian guy who shipped it overseas and I regretted it ever since. So just yesterday closed the deal on a... (big surprise) 2001 Ebony! Only difference is I previously had the red/black interior and now have the gray/black.
Here's the part that I couldn't resist: 23,000 original miles! All original/no mods. Bonuses are brand new tires, OEM crossrails, and the meticulous care provided for this VX (Thank you Jim!)

I've visited the website from time to time these past years, and look forward to learning more from you all!

So, first poll question: "To mod or not to mod, that is the question"
I like the idea of a rear-camera, removing the IZUZU and "VX"ing the grill/hubcaps/rear-door, and some other mods but part of me wonders if my best move it to keep it all original.
Thoughts?

Maddawg
12/14/2012, 07:49 AM
If its that cherry why mess with it. But to each his own. I'm sure you will make the right choice for yourself.

Cobrajet
12/14/2012, 12:10 PM
Here's the part that I couldn't resist: 23,000 original miles! All original/no mods.

Low mileage doesn't always mean it's cherry... :)

http://www.allpar.com/history/auto-shows/time-capsule.html

I'm in the "keep it stock" camp, but to each his own. Just don't wreck it!

jimonskye
01/01/2013, 05:15 PM
Hi, I'm a new VX owner from Glasgow,Scotland,UK. I bought the VX as a work car, because I cover 20/30k miles a year and often end up on farm tracks and country roads that don't suit city cars at all. My other toys are a jaguar XJS 3.6, and a honda 750 Supermagna 1988, but I don't get much time to play with them, due to work. I like camping, target shooting, and broadsword fighting (when I can get any time off).
So far I've done very little to the VX, I had the brake system completely renewed, had 10 coats of paint and laquer sprayed on, had the bottom undersealed, and I'll be fitting cold weather tyres next week. I'll be getting an alarm and remote locking, and that will have to do for a while. I'd like to fit Jaguar leather seats ( if it's possible ) but that will have to wait until spring at the earliest. Thanks for letting me join, I look forward to learning lots !

Mile High VX
01/01/2013, 06:08 PM
Welcome to the addiction...lots of great guys and gals here anxious to help you fix things and spend money.....:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

CatFish
01/01/2013, 06:13 PM
Welcome:) I have to ask why you would want to take out Recaro seats and put Jag seats in your VX?

unchboy
01/01/2013, 07:10 PM
I've always wanted one back in the day (2000), but there were so few that I keep forgetting about it until I see them once in a while. Now I finally some extra cash to buy one, but my wife wont let me until I get rid of one of my toys. It wont be my everyday transport, its just a good looking suv. Also since I cant afford a Bugatti, the VX might be the closest thing to get people to say WTF is that? hahahaha

yellowgizmo99
01/01/2013, 07:21 PM
probaly more know what the Bugatti looks like than the VX.

unchboy
01/01/2013, 07:32 PM
probaly more know what the Bugatti looks like than the VX.
hahaha...Yup youre right

adrenafix
01/04/2013, 01:02 PM
Hey! unfortunatly,i only got to drive my new girlfriends(maybe not for long) Vx('99 Ironman) a few times before a lg.barn ran out in front of us as we tried to avoid our friends dog in deep snow..So we may not be members long,but we're trying to see if theres interest in the wreck for parts or enough parts to fix..they say it's totaled ..but seems they want it pretty bad..it did take a med/hard hit to pass.front but,i'm not convinced it's totaled...anyone??

adrenafix
01/04/2013, 01:18 PM
Hey,My girlfriend and i(maybe not much longer)since i hit a barn with her '99Ironman)wre wondering what this front-end damaged Vx is worth as the ins.comp.wants to total and keep/scrap it,and if there's enough parts out there to fix,this sucks seeing as we found this site now and see the popularity of these fun machines,but it is what it is i guess..just hate to part with it..anyone??

Mile High VX
01/04/2013, 02:40 PM
Hey,My girlfriend and i(maybe not much longer)since i hit a barn with her '99Ironman)wre wondering what this front-end damaged Vx is worth as the ins.comp.wants to total and keep/scrap it,and if there's enough parts out there to fix,this sucks seeing as we found this site now and see the popularity of these fun machines,but it is what it is i guess..just hate to part with it..anyone??

This should help you...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=23547&highlight=totaled

Welcome to the site and hope you get her back on the road...

Maddawg
01/04/2013, 03:48 PM
Pics?

adrenafix
01/04/2013, 06:20 PM
Hey! cool site,unfortunatly our membership/ownership of 99 Ironman may have been shortlived ,but loved...as a barn stepped in front of us on Ny's eve(no,no alcohol involved,just deep snow/so-so tires ) ins. co.,calling it total from front pass.side damage,but we may buyout and keep..anyone interested in whole truck or parts??(120k mi.)We were really looking forward to enjoying a few more yrs. in it but if we can't repair it,we'll part it out.:mad:

VX KAT
01/05/2013, 10:16 AM
Hey! unfortunatly,i only got to drive my new girlfriends(maybe not for long) Vx('99 Ironman) a few times before a lg.barn ran out in front of us as we tried to avoid our friends dog in deep snow..So we may not be members long,but we're trying to see if theres interest in the wreck for parts or enough parts to fix..they say it's totaled ..but seems they want it pretty bad..it did take a med/hard hit to pass.front but,i'm not convinced it's totaled...anyone??

there's been a quite a few here that had the insurance try to total their VX for fairly minor damage. Most insurance adjustors just don't want to have to search out some of the parts, but actually, our parts guru contact "Merlin" at St. Charles Motors in MO, has been able to get virtually every Isuzu part for the VX, some have to come from Japan, and can take a few weeks to arrive. But most insurance or repair shops don't know how to do this! So get involved and help them get the parts.
I even sold a used part to a repair shop to help fix an owner here's VX.

Some have prevailed and some not. But do a search on "totalled" or "insurance" and look for the threads. Many have been able to buy back the VX from the insurance company, then get it fixed or some sell it for parts.

Good luck! Lots of advise, info and help here! :thumbup:

CatFish
01/05/2013, 12:05 PM
I hope you can fix it but if you do part it out let me know I will get some parts from you.

Hey! cool site,unfortunatly our membership/ownership of 99 Ironman may have been shortlived ,but loved...as a barn stepped in front of us on Ny's eve(no,no alcohol involved,just deep snow/so-so tires ) ins. co.,calling it total from front pass.side damage,but we may buyout and keep..anyone interested in whole truck or parts??(120k mi.)We were really looking forward to enjoying a few more yrs. in it but if we can't repair it,we'll part it out.:mad:

jimonskye
01/07/2013, 02:43 PM
Welcome:) I have to ask why you would want to take out Recaro seats and put Jag seats in your VX?

Re wanting to replace the seats, I find the Recaros very uncomfortable, my 1998 VX has only done 25k Kliks (about 15 1/2 k miles); so the seats are as new. I don't know about the US model, but the JDM one that I have has very narrow seats and about 1/4 inch of padding over the frame. The frame actually bruises my thigh, and as I often spend 8 to 10 hours a day driving I want something I can relax into. My 1988 jag has leather seats that beat most armchairs into a cocked hat, so I'm hoping that I can fit leather front seats ( probably from an XJS ). If anyone has any experience of something like this I'd love to hear from them.

adrenafix
01/07/2013, 05:10 PM
Thanks Kat,I see you've been parting,have been wondering if there's enough demand to make it profitable after time/ effort involved,and if there's enough demand to warrant,or if we'll try to store/ fix@ later time.Cost of buyback will have an effect on our decision of course.I'm having trouble posting on here,otherwise i'd post it in salvage/for sale.If anyone is interested please e-mail me @ Adrenafix@hotmail.com and i can send pics or call me @ 607-744-0035 or 813-295-4997 The truck is located in Endicott NY...Thanks!

there's been a quite a few here that had the insurance try to total their VX for fairly minor damage. Most insurance adjustors just don't want to have to search out some of the parts, but actually, our parts guru contact "Merlin" at St. Charles Motors in MO, has been able to get virtually every Isuzu part for the VX, some have to come from Japan, and can take a few weeks to arrive. But most insurance or repair shops don't know how to do this! So get involved and help them get the parts.
I even sold a used part to a repair shop to help fix an owner here's VX.

Some have prevailed and some not. But do a search on "totalled" or "insurance" and look for the threads. Many have been able to buy back the VX from the insurance company, then get it fixed or some sell it for parts.

Good luck! Lots of advise, info and help here! :thumbup:

VX KAT
01/07/2013, 06:44 PM
Thanks Kat,I see you've been parting,have been wondering if there's enough demand to make it profitable after time/ effort involved,and if there's enough demand to warrant,or if we'll try to store/ fix@ later time.Cost of buyback will have an effect on our decision of course.I'm having trouble posting on here,otherwise i'd post it in salvage/for sale.If anyone is interested please e-mail me @ Adrenafix@hotmail.com and i can send pics or call me @ 607-744-0035 or 813-295-4997 The truck is located in Endicott NY...Thanks!

Maybe ask some of the guys that have done a part out for the time/effort part. I can think of "etfren" and "vxfocus" right off the top of my head.

Triathlete
01/07/2013, 09:34 PM
Jimonskye...you may want to look into suspension seats. Very comfortable and built for offroad use. There are several companies that make them.

44ficus44
01/08/2013, 10:55 PM
hey peeps of the VX world, a noob here. just got my VX this past oct. and been shredding it to its baja standards.

from a original yello it was transformed to an orange/black beast. but its still not complete. hope the journey to its max will be in much needed help using the forums.

see ya on the posts .

chris.

http://s14.postimage.org/uj82zbt6p/IMG_20120815_142923.jpg

tom4bren
01/09/2013, 06:30 AM
Welcome to the VX family.

Looks like you'll fit right in with the zombie apocolypse croud.

JoFotoz
01/09/2013, 05:21 PM
WELCOME..great to see another San Diego VX.

hey peeps of the VX world, a noob here. just got my VX this past oct. and been shredding it to its baja standards.

from a original yello it was transformed to an orange/black beast. but its still not complete. hope the journey to its max will be in much needed help using the forums.

see ya on the posts .

chris.

http://s14.postimage.org/uj82zbt6p/IMG_20120815_142923.jpg

I sent ya a PM on here and an e-mail...lets meet for a beer....:thumbup:
I'd love to look at your VX...nice mods!!

I'm in Pacific Beach.

Where are you?

Cheers

jo

44ficus44
01/09/2013, 11:43 PM
Welcome to the VX family.

Looks like you'll fit right in with the zombie apocolypse croud.

nice, let the beat down beggin, and thanks peeps, glad to join in

Monstrito
01/15/2013, 10:14 AM
Hi everyone,

Very happy to join this forum and hopefully soon the VX owners family.

I currently live in the south west London area, been here for three years. Before that lived in the US, in Florida, Arizona, New York. After moving here my view or rather use of cars completely changed; from being an absolutely daily necessity, to I haven't owned a car in three years. Now I am ready to buy a car, and I can buy a car that I love, that I can have fun in and just enjoy driving.

This brings me to the Vehicross, the first time a saw one I was in college, I thought wow! That thing looks light years ahead of my jeep. Didn't seriously think about it again until I moved here and started thinking about which car I would love to have rather than need to have.

Being in the UK, my options are slim, there is currently only one being advertised out of what it seems like less than fifty in the country. So I've opted to import one from Japan.

So hopefully if all goes well in about three months time, I'll be a proud VX owner.

tom4bren
01/15/2013, 10:47 AM
Best of luck on your import. Keep us posted.

dafman
01/19/2013, 02:26 PM
Hey guys! I'm a recent owner of a 2001 Foxfire Red Vehicross! I live in the Hudson Valley, NY, and have owned it since October 2012. I'm very excited to become an active member in the future!

I have a bit of issues (I posted them in another topic) but I am very excited to become friends with you guys! I'm a member of other forums for other cars as well, if you guys are interested in checking them out.

Vincent

pumpkinsmasher31
01/22/2013, 01:07 PM
Exited to be a new owner of a 1999 Vehicross, however the idiots that last changed the oil apparently lost the drain plug and instead of getting a new one they tapped it with a 22mm plug and a lock washer i cant get it of with a torque wrench and the shop said they wont work on it because they are afraid it will leak? Any help?

tom4bren
01/22/2013, 02:57 PM
Welcome pumpkin smasher.

I'd say that if they tapped the hole for a different sized plug then you're pretty much stuck with using it (if you can get it out). If you do get it out & re-use it, then get some kind of gasket kit & toss that lock washer away. That's just asking for leaks.

On the upside: if you really want to do it right, you should be able to source a new/used oil pan from any 3.5L Isuzu. That would be my suggestion.

Cobrajet
01/22/2013, 03:52 PM
Exited to be a new owner of a 1999 Vehicross, however the idiots that last changed the oil apparently lost the drain plug and instead of getting a new one they tapped it with a 22mm plug and a lock washer i cant get it of with a torque wrench and the shop said they wont work on it because they are afraid it will leak? Any help?

Here are a couple ideas:

Dorman Oil-Tite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdAvBAJaBwQ
"Fumoto" valve - http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/
Google - Stripped Oil plug (lmgtfy.com/?q=stripped+oil+plug)
BFH (or BFW??) :)

Maddawg
01/22/2013, 04:01 PM
[QUOTE=
BFH (or BFW??) :)[/QUOTE]

Lol, BFH=Big Fat Ho (BFW=Big Fat Whore). :winky:

lopezji
01/29/2013, 11:58 AM
Hello All, I am the new Owner of a 99 Silver VX. My Name is Joe and I Live In North Jersey. Ive had it since Jan of 2012 but just got to getting her on the road. My VX has a bunch of issues and the previous owner told me that she needed TLC. I didnt know just how much till she was on the road. I have been looking and have read a ton of great info. I hope that I get can her back to running smoothly(with help of course). So far looks like it might need a Drivers side axle. Possibly a transfer case or maybe just air in the tires or even just some diff fluid(lol). I'll find out as the NE weather gets better. Wish me luck...

Joe

tom4bren
01/29/2013, 12:09 PM
Joe,

Best of luck with getting her road ready.

Here's a post where you can probably get some used axles for a good price:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=274291&postcount=57

If I were you, I'd jump on it. Those OEM axles are hard to find.

lopezji
01/30/2013, 11:04 AM
Axle on Order. Dane was very helpful. Still has parts if anyone has a need.

Thanks

VX KAT
01/30/2013, 11:15 AM
Lol, BFH=Big Fat Ho (BFW=Big Fat Whore). :winky:

First item listed here: :smack::smack:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bfh

magikmike
02/02/2013, 04:37 PM
It's official... I bought my VehiCROSS... Clean and southern! it came with some issues... leaky trans lines, missing flywheel cover, and broken nipple at the top of the steering rack.. had to band-aid them, and nurse it over 700 miles back home... any good fixes??? I'll do the searching, but if any of the Vets/Mods wanna drop some links it would be greatly appreciated ;)

VX KAT
02/02/2013, 07:55 PM
It's official... I bought my VehiCROSS... Clean and southern! it came with some issues... leaky trans lines, missing flywheel cover, and broken nipple at the top of the steering rack.. had to band-aid them, and nurse it over 700 miles back home... any good fixes??? I'll do the searching, but if any of the Vets/Mods wanna drop some links it would be greatly appreciated ;)

Hey welcome to the land of all things VX! :thumbup:

There's a ton of reference info on this site. Look over the "Downloads" section as well as many "How Tos". and get real familiar with the search function, it'll be your best friend. Since this truck is 13 yrs old, there's probably been a post/thread on most topics. So use the Search bar to mine all that data. If you get stumped, there's always someone here to help you out too.

As a new owner, download the Workshop Manual. It's about 1800 pages, but it has every detail you'll need.
http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Downloads&file=viewarticle&id=20

Also, download the Parts List.
http://www.vehicross.info/downloads/VX-PartsList.pdf

Also for reference…..for Isuzu parts, try calling Merlin at St. Charles Automotive (formerly and Isuzu dealership)
MISSOURI
(800) 727-8066

He's kind of our favorite Isuzu parts guy, ask for Merlin in Isuzu Parts Dept.

You can look up schematics and parts on their website, and find the part you're after, then call Merlin. Or call and ask him about a part.

He has vast knowledge of the VX and all things Isuzu make it definitely worthwhile to buy thru him. He's worked there for about 14+years, knows the VX forward and backwards!

He can also tell you whether the part is available in a U.S. Isuzu warehouse or if it has to come from Japan, and that's about 6-8 weeks.

He's very familiar with our forum and knows many people so mention you're on it.

Call until you reach him "live", he's not much on email or voice messages.
Great guy!

magikmike
02/03/2013, 06:09 AM
THANX...the parts lisy is a huge help... I had too download the service manual to my phone, then went to the "how to" so I knew how to service the tranny so it would make sure it wouldn't run out on the trip home

tom4bren
02/04/2013, 06:17 AM
mike,

Welcome to the family.

I'll see if I can still get the steering box they pulled from mine. Maybe that'll help you with the parts you need for yours.

Tom

Maddawg
02/04/2013, 07:34 AM
First item listed here: :smack::smack:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bfh

I know, I know. It was a feeble attempt at humor on my part. But I never knew there were so many meanings for that acronym, lol. Leave it to Kat though to come to the rescue. :grino:

sroy123
02/08/2013, 08:34 AM
Hi,

I am soon to be the owner of a 1999 Ironman Vehicross. I bought the truck in Albany NY. I live in Maryville Tennessee. My plan is to fly up and drive it back.

yellowgizmo99
02/08/2013, 09:05 AM
Too bad didn't fly up this morning to drive back, would of been a fun drive.lol

ssignature
02/08/2013, 06:27 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/thumbs/20130208_142224.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=23296)

I flew down to Tarpon Springs, FL today and picked up my wife's 2001 VX Kaiser. I worked with the seller over the past two weeks to have him pick me up at the airport and we made the deal. His dad owned the truck since it was new and was very sad to see it go, but I promised that I'd post photos of any improvements and customizing I've done (planning already). They even wanted me to take last photos of them with the Vx. They were extremely helpful, pointing out every possible little issue with the truck, which helps tremendously when you're building that list of things to fix. The seller (Hi, Austin!) even detailed it and had new brake pads installed so that I'd feel comfortable driving it home to the Upstate of South Carolina. So while we are sad at the passing of our 2000 Amigo (totaled by an uninsured driver), we welcome the VX!

tom4bren
02/12/2013, 04:50 AM
I live in Maryville Tennessee.

Welcome to the family sroy. I usta spend a lot of time in Maryville (ex is from there). I gradumicated from UTK. Hope you enjoy your new toy.

I flew down to Tarpon Springs, FL today and picked up my wife's 2001 VX Kaiser.

Great story sig. Welcome & can't wait to see posts of all your upgrades. I still try to get away with the 'story' that I bought the Proton for my wife (never did work though).

VxSport
02/12/2013, 05:37 AM
Welcome.... Ssig I also originally purchased our Vx for my wife. I gave it to her about 5 years ago as a BDay gag gift. She drove it for a year before I purchased another vehicle for her DD and took the keys to the Vx. I still swear to my wife that I originally purchased the vx for her, she still doesn't buy it.
I also have had several Amigo's in the driveway over the years.
vxsport

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/thumbs/20130208_142224.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=23296)

I flew down to Tarpon Springs, FL today and picked up my wife's 2001 VX Kaiser. I worked with the seller over the past two weeks to have him pick me up at the airport and we made the deal. His dad owned the truck since it was new and was very sad to see it go, but I promised that I'd post photos of any improvements and customizing I've done (planning already). They even wanted me to take last photos of them with the Vx. They were extremely helpful, pointing out every possible little issue with the truck, which helps tremendously when you're building that list of things to fix. The seller (Hi, Austin!) even detailed it and had new brake pads installed so that I'd feel comfortable driving it home to the Upstate of South Carolina. So while we are sad at the passing of our 2000 Amigo (totaled by an uninsured driver), we welcome the VX!

tom4bren
02/12/2013, 06:39 AM
...she still doesn't buy it.

Careful Dude - Sue's gonna add you to the 'nut brotherz' list.

VX KAT
02/12/2013, 08:07 AM
Careful Dude - Sue's gonna add you to the 'nut brotherz' list. definitely! :yeso:

term117
02/13/2013, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the kind words Scott! I hope you enjoy it and everything is running well! The kind folks on VXinfo will take good care of you. I will post some farewell pics up a little later.

How was the drive back to South Carolina?

ABDragonVX
02/13/2013, 04:56 PM
Anyone able to move my intro here from the role call - stand up and be counted?

ssignature
02/13/2013, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the kind words Scott! I hope you enjoy it and everything is running well! The kind folks on VXinfo will take good care of you. I will post some farewell pics up a little later.

How was the drive back to South Carolina?

Hey Austin! The Vx drove perfectly. I'm starting work on it this week. New axles, a power steering hose, valve cover gaskets (man are they leaking!), rear axle seal, new tires, etc. Did some vinyl graphics for the sides (I'm in the biz). Got a touchscreen lcd dvd player on the way that doubles as a back-up camera. Gonna do a 1 1/2" lift on her, too.
Don't you worry, we'll take care of her!
PS: The windows are FIXED. I've been working with balky Isuzu windows since the mid 90's. Remanned the plastic tabs, loosened up the rubber runs, lubed 'em up and shimmed 'em. My Rodeo windows still work still after refurbing them 8 years ago.

Vdawgydawg911
02/28/2013, 04:49 AM
I never heard of this until my dealer said he had one yesterday, I was looking for a car but I'm getting intrigued. It has 102000 miles, year :2000 , cost around 6 $ , condition mint , SHOULD I dO IT?? help

Maddawg
02/28/2013, 07:33 AM
I never heard of this until my dealer said he had one yesterday, I was looking for a car but I'm getting intrigued. It has 102000 miles, year :2000 , cost around 6 $ , condition mint , SHOULD I dO IT?? help

$6.00 or 6K?? :confused:

R&R Adventure
03/10/2013, 07:35 PM
Hello all,

We are Rhonda and Randy the owners of a new to us 2001 Fox Fire Red VX and love it. We have been into the vehicle expedition way of life for years now we own a 1978 CJ5 and a 1978 Full Size Cherokee. We have built an off road expedition trailer from a 40mm ammo box that has been all over the western US. We aren't sure if the VX will go on our trail trips or just day and some weekend outings. We have been lurking for a while now and doing research on this site and let us thank you guys it really helps make a more informed decision when it comes to finding one. So I am sure we will ask a few questions from time to time if we cant find the answers in the search menu. Thanks for the help so far.

R&R

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/cabowhunter/Isuzu%20VX/photo3_zpse6a1a4cf.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/cabowhunter/Isuzu%20VX/photo2_zpsf89e9a5d.jpg

Maddawg
03/11/2013, 08:41 AM
Congratulations on your purchase! Looks clean as a whistle. How many miles on it??

R&R Adventure
03/11/2013, 09:31 AM
Thanks ,

I see your down the 138 from me.
To answer your question 70K on the odo. it has a few issues but what ride doesn't.

R&R

JoFotoz
03/11/2013, 10:04 AM
Welome R&R...

If you ever venture south to San Diego gimme a shout!

Jo

Scott Harness
03/11/2013, 11:51 AM
Welcome!!!

Rox
03/19/2013, 10:54 AM
Hello All-

My name is Brett I live in Littleton Colorado.
I just bought my first VX it is a silver and black 2001.
I have always liked the style and features of the V-Cross.
Now the work begins Im glad to have such a great site and people to help me along the way.

tom4bren
03/19/2013, 11:51 AM
Welcome Brett!!!

MSHardeman
03/19/2013, 11:54 AM
Welcome to the obsession Brett. Looks like we're starting to rival Texas for the most VX's in one state.

Definitely need to get the Colorado VX family together soon.

Mile High VX
03/19/2013, 06:12 PM
Welcome Brett...good to have another CO member.

Lots of great folks here and tons of help...along with some gentle(most of the time) ribbing....:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

EVO
03/20/2013, 03:14 PM
Hey!! Great to meet a bunch of VX Enthusiasts!! My names Vince and I now own a 99 Ironman Edition VX 171K and still having fun!!

ron
03/20/2013, 03:19 PM
Hey!! Great to meet a bunch of VX Enthusiasts!! My names Vince and I now own a 99 Ironman Edition VX 171K and still having fun!!

Welcome to the club, Evo! Looks like you might be in my neighborhood. I'm in the SF bay area myself with a 01 ironman as well.

EVO
03/20/2013, 03:29 PM
Hey Ron I have friends in Antioch and Brentwood so I'm in the neighborhood for sure!! In fact I went to the Blue's Festival in Old Downtown Antioch about two months ago! Glad to make your acquatance!

SomeoneElse
03/21/2013, 08:42 PM
I'm Ian in Colorado and While I do not have a VX, I am really hoping to get one. I think Brett "Rox" bought one of the 2 silvers I was going to look at actually.
Found an Orange 2001 (like the Nissan Burnt Orange color) and checked it out tonight, but that one was definitely used and abused :(

Maybe the one in Castle Rock will prove better. Can't Wait to join the club!

VX KAT
03/21/2013, 09:17 PM
I'm Ian in Colorado and While I do not have a VX, I am really hoping to get one. I think Brett "Rox" bought one of the 2 silvers I was going to look at actually.
Found an Orange 2001 (like the Nissan Burnt Orange color) and checked it out tonight, but that one was definitely used and abused :(

Maybe the one in Castle Rock will prove better. Can't Wait to join the club!

I'm guessing this is probably the orange one you just saw….read the details and pics when somebody else looked at it. :freek:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=24043

That's a great thing about this forum, there's so few of these trucks (compared to other vehicles), any you come across you might be interested in, mention it here as somebody here may know info. Often, a member that's close enough may go out and check it out for you.

It's pretty likely you won't find one "local", and can expect to find one far away. Some fly and drive home, some just have it shipped after hiring an inspection company.
Have you considered "Bob Barker"s VX that he's advertising for sale here?
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=23957

SomeoneElse
03/21/2013, 09:50 PM
Wow, the description on that was the same going from Colorado to Illinois, and back with the front end crash, but the one in the pic looks amazing compared to what I saw. Pic on that thread was probably when somebody loved it... last owner left it a friggin mess. Damnit, I dont even own one yet and I'm mad about that lol.

Fortunately the other one I'm going to go look at is only 20 miles away

Edit: After Looking at Bob's, I'm very intrigued. Thanks for the Heads Up! And Now Back to Topic I guess.

JoFotoz
03/21/2013, 09:57 PM
Welcome "SomeoneElse"...

Gotta agree with Sue.

Dont limit yourself to local..find the right one.

And yes..BobBarkers is a beauty you should consider...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...threadid=23957

Best of luck.

jo

Mile High VX
03/22/2013, 02:44 PM
Don't waste your time on the Silver in Castle Rock...not much better than the Orange one up north...:(

SomeoneElse
03/22/2013, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the S.A. on that. Talking Back channel with Bob Barker, and with luck by next weekend I'll be cruising in a VX of my own!

Mel94dB
03/25/2013, 04:40 PM
Hi - I live in Prince Wm County, VA and drive a green 2000 VX with a 3 inch lift and 32 inch tires. I love my truck but, honestly, it doesn't handle as well after the lift. I go offroad regularly, mostly in VA, WV, MD and PA and the lift is terrific for that (though I could hold my own even without it). I belong to a super off-road club around here that welcomes all types of vehicles and they're proud to have a VX in their midst. I found my truck on eBay about 2 yrs ago, flew to Michigan and drove it home. It had about 85K miles then and has 118K now. When I can get the spare change, I plan to buy a second one to keep for on-road handling. One thing -- I have the black and grey interior and I love it, not sure my nervous system could handle the orange and black most of you drive!

tom4bren
03/26/2013, 05:11 AM
Mel,

I live in Fredericksburg & work at Belvoir. I'd love to meet up sometime. Next time you're wheeling locally, lemme know. I'd love to tag along.

You may want to stop in at Triangle Frame. They're the ones that worked on mine a couple of years ago when I parked my VX on top of a van out on 95 (don't ask). They do top notch work. Maybe they can give you some pointers on improving the handling. Lemme know if you would like to take BZBZZZ for a spin as a comparison on handling. I'm lifted 3" & running 33's.

Tom

don moore
03/28/2013, 10:43 PM
welcome Mel...now your in trouble..lol

tom4bren
03/29/2013, 04:45 AM
I have no response to that ... because unfortunately, it's true.:)

Pamela's VIP VX
04/01/2013, 11:56 PM
So I decided to buy the "Pamela Anderson V.I.P." VehiCROSS not because of it's "provenance", but because it is a very clean, well maintained and unmolested original.

I only drive it on weekends and enjoy the looks it gets from from both young and old.

I don't plan any modifications at the moment, but am doing research on this forum to buy just the right set of NEW TIRES that will enhance the overall style of this unique vehicle.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated !! Thanks.

Maddawg
04/02/2013, 08:29 AM
So I decided to buy the "Pamela Anderson V.I.P." VehiCROSS not because of it's "provenance", but because it is a very clean, well maintained and unmolested original.

Which is more than can be said for her. :smilewink

JoFotoz
04/02/2013, 10:21 AM
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL...

Which is more than can be said for her. :smilewink

......:clap:

Jo

Georgef
04/05/2013, 01:25 PM
:evil:, I work as a merchant marine. This is my first Isuzu. I've been a euro car geek for ever. The Isuzu. I'm switching from an Audi Allroad 2.7TT. That says allot about what I think of the Vehicross, I wouldn't do that for just any vehicle. So here it is. The Axis of Fun, East meets West. The Porsche/Isuzu Alliance.:evil http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz10/geofen8036/IMG_0349_zpsc8974200.jpg
http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz10/geofen8036/IMG_0342_zps06812274.jpg

isuzuyotafan
04/09/2013, 06:08 PM
Hi everyone! I dont actually hace a Vehicross but im hoping to get one soon. My DD got hit a few weeks ago and i have always admired these things. My Old DD is a 1985 celicasupra and as much as i loved it i wanna change it up a little bit. Hoping to find one somewhere around the KC area or at least within a days drive! Here is a link of my current car!
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8193/8125816066_a7bdfba7b6_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/87215904@N03/8125816066/)
102_3967[1] (http://www.flickr.com/photos/87215904@N03/8125816066/) by Supra driver 1985 (http://www.flickr.com/people/87215904@N03/), on Flickr

Leon R
04/09/2013, 06:46 PM
Nice looking Supra!!!

Ksteinecke
04/11/2013, 08:00 AM
I first heard about VX's six months ago & I fell in love at first sight.

My uncle (Ssignature on this site) found a great deal on one this week (near perfect condition except needing engine work) and I jumped on the opportunity to be the owner of one.

Need less to say, I will be driving pick up my VX tonight.

Let the fun begin!

ssignature
04/11/2013, 08:07 AM
Welcome, Krikky!
So you say a lift kit, brush guard and a Yakima rack are in the plans, huh?

Ksteinecke
04/11/2013, 11:31 AM
Welcome, Krikky!
So you say a lift kit, brush guard and a Yakima rack are in the plans, huh?

They absolutely are. gotta get that Line-x too. & I still have to come up with a name

ssignature
04/11/2013, 11:46 AM
To anyone that asks: I highly recommend Line-X of Greenville SC. Ivan , the owner, stands behind his work. When we got our's done, I told him that ours would probably be the only Vx he ever saw. Looks like he's in for a surprise. Ivan's owned three Troopers and is very fond of the Zu's.

boxcutter
04/19/2013, 07:15 PM
I am new to the VX family. I work at a dealership and happen to see one come into our wholesale lot. I've always thought they were cool. Since I needed a daily driver I looked into it and bought it a week later. Haven't regretted it once! Owned for about three weeks now.

ThisGuyIndy
04/20/2013, 07:52 AM
Welcome to the obsession, boxcutter!

Maddawg
04/20/2013, 08:00 AM
I am new to the VX family. I work at a dealership and happen to see one come into our wholesale lot. I've always thought they were cool. Since I needed a daily driver I looked into it and bought it a week later. Haven't regretted it once! Owned for about three weeks now.

Don't forget to throw a couple of pics in the VX owners forum. You will find lots of Proton Yellow addicts in there.

JeffsVX
04/20/2013, 08:47 AM
Hey Gang, Just got my VX 2 weeks ago ! 99 Astral with 112K. She purrs like a kitten !
I've always wanted one since I first saw one back in 99. Love it!

Wildbill
04/20/2013, 05:31 PM
HELLO EVERYONE,

Wildbill here from Colorado Springs Colorado. Traded my Lifted 98 Jeep Wrangler TJ for my
New 2001 Proton VX, Love the VX!! Frist thing I did was put on some 275/60 18's, trimed the front caddling a little. Already had the VX on 2 Colorado Jeep Trails and loved it! We did Mount Badly and China wall. In a couple weeks doing the Torsion Bar Crank and Ball Joint Flip and 2in coil spacers in rear, then putting 35's on ;-) Love this site!! Been throungh alot of threads!! Cant thank you enough for all the info!!!
HAPPY VXING TO ALL,
Wildbill

Wildbill
04/20/2013, 05:31 PM
HELLO EVERYONE,

Wildbill here from Colorado Springs Colorado. Traded my Lifted 98 Jeep Wrangler TJ for my New 2001 Proton VX, Love the VX!! Frist thing I did was put on some 275/60 18's, trimed the front caddling a little. Already had the VX on 2 Colorado Jeep Trails and loved it! We did Mount Badly and China wall. In a couple weeks doing the Torsion Bar Crank and Ball Joint Flip and 2in coil spacers in rear, then putting 35's on ;-) Love this site!! Been throungh alot of threads!! Cant thank you enough for all the info!!!
HAPPY VXING TO ALL,
Wildbill

tom4bren
04/24/2013, 12:24 PM
Welcom Jeff & WildBill.

Sounds like the obsession/addiction caught Bill pretty quick. Keep us posted on how your mods work out.

vxodus
04/24/2013, 07:07 PM
:: new to the zu crew (obviously) ~ found a clean ebony, one owner, garage kept vx w/80k in florida ~ flew down drove her back from miami to austin last week ~ needless to say om pretty stoked finally finding the-one.

...just heard vx's meet up most saturdays at ihop on 183 (really?!) ~ i'll be there, unless everyones going offroad to hidden-falls this wknd (info i stumbled across bumping around on here) ...i'd like to attend either one just need some details & times.

looking forward to being on here with you all and meeting up with some of you ~ MOAB will be a mecca road trip every year ::
the name is lex ~ holla ::

Wildbill
04/28/2013, 07:48 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/thumbs/pp.jpg :bwgy:

tom4bren
05/01/2013, 06:37 AM
Welcome lex

You have a good crew around you there in Austin.

vxodus
05/01/2013, 11:20 PM
:: hey Tom, i appreciate that man, and good to hear ~ how do i catch-up with the Austin crew ?! ~ i was told vx's meet up at an ihop on saturdays (near Lakeline), but to no avail last weekend ~ i came across a post on here mentioning a meet at a spot called Hidden Falls so i guess they were there gettin down in some dirt.

btw, can't seem to post anything on here for some reason (only reply), ...i guess it's because i'm green with the forum thing, but how hard can it be !Ha

ttyl ::

tom4bren
05/02/2013, 05:09 AM
Send VX crazy a PM & ask her to let you know next time there is a meet.

Cutterd
05/15/2013, 08:27 AM
Just about to purchase 2000 Foxfire vin: 0110. Anybody know it? About $5k, in good condition it appears except for back cladding ding and small oil leaks.

detoxed
05/21/2013, 01:55 AM
Greetings and thanks for the opportunity to join the group.
I'm from Queen Creek, AZ and just purchased a 99 w/ 111k at a repo auction last Saturday... I am looking to get this rolling.

tom4bren
05/21/2013, 04:53 AM
Just about to purchase 2000 Foxfire vin: 0110. Anybody know it? About $5k, in good condition it appears except for back cladding ding and small oil leaks.

Your ride was previously owned by 2 different members here: Steve W from Lynnwood, WA & pony.xpress from Olympia, WA. Neither member ever posted anything on the forum but I didn't check to see if they posted any pix in their galleries. You can contact fellow Foxfire owner vt_maverick to see if he has any further info on it in his data.

Grats on your purchase. Hope you have lots & lots of fun with it.

BTW, to find this kind of information go to the home page & look to the left. There's a 'Search' tool on the sidebar. Select 'Members' from the drop down & leave the search field blank for now. Click on 'Advanced'. Click 'Go'. On the next page put the VIN info in the appropriate box & click on 'Search Now'. Easy-Peasy!

tom4bren
05/21/2013, 05:03 AM
I'm from Queen Creek, AZ and just purchased a 99 w/ 111k at a repo auction last Saturday... I am looking to get this rolling.

Grats on your purchase. You'll find this forum a wealth of knowledge to help you getting your new Beastie back on the road. Best of Luck & welcome to the family.

Cutterd
05/21/2013, 06:16 AM
Thanks. Managed to speak with SteveW directly, it has been passed around over the years but Vin 0110 is hear to stay!

Some rust underneath, and an Evap code check engine light nobody can deal with here on the coast, but fundamentally in much better shape than I expected. I'll have some posts for the VX troubleshooting board soon. :-)

One of the owners did some funky wiring - gotta figure that out, some of these switches seem to have no purpose.

Plans are to add a header console, and replace the mirror with a rearview system at some point. And (possibly blasphemously) change out the grey seats and interior for a red seats and interior since it is a Foxfire.

Your ride was previously owned by 2 different members here: Steve W from Lynnwood, WA & pony.xpress from Olympia, WA. Neither member ever posted anything on the forum but I didn't check to see if they posted any pix in their galleries. You can contact fellow Foxfire owner vt_maverick to see if he has any further info on it in his data.

Grats on your purchase. Hope you have lots & lots of fun with it.

BTW, to find this kind of information go to the home page & look to the left. There's a 'Search' tool on the sidebar. Select 'Members' from the drop down & leave the search field blank for now. Click on 'Advanced'. Click 'Go'. On the next page put the VIN info in the appropriate box & click on 'Search Now'. Easy-Peasy!

tom4bren
05/21/2013, 06:25 AM
Thanks. Managed to speak with SteveW directly, it has been passed around over the years but Vin 0110 is hear to stay!

Cool

Some rust underneath, and an Evap code check engine light nobody can deal with here on the coast, but fundamentally in much better shape than I expected. I'll have some posts for the VX troubleshooting board soon. :-)

CEL could be caused by a wonky gas cap. Worth checking before digging into the emissions system

One of the owners did some funky wiring - gotta figure that out, some of these switches seem to have no purpose.

Plans are to add a header console, and replace the mirror with a rearview system at some point. And (possibly blasphemously) change out the grey seats and interior for a red seats and interior since it is a Foxfire.

EWWWWW ... but that's just my $.02 (& I want change back:)). May want to try out some Wet Okole seat covers & wheelskins first to make sure you want to make the change permanent.

:)

VX KAT
05/21/2013, 08:47 AM

hey detox- Welcome!
I'm up near Prescott. There's about 5 or 6 VXers in PHX and a few in Tucson. We get together every year or so.
Welcome to the addiction! :thumbup:

Baldmason
05/21/2013, 11:13 PM
I've been driving my VX since I inherited it when my Dad passed away. Some of you know my parents, Todd & Linda Adams. My name is J.R. and my wife is Deanna. We were able to make it for ZuZoo just for the last weekend. My VX is a 99 Ironman. It still has the Hot Wheels on the insert that my dad put there. I will never take that off! I have ridden and driven in this VX since it's original purchase. It recently had the engine rebuilt, and I have some driveline and axle work to do, but it will soon be in tip-top shape!

tom4bren
05/22/2013, 05:46 AM
Sadly I never got to meet your Pops. He has quite the reputation. He lives on tho through you & your ride. I won't welcome you to the family though since technically you've been family for a long time already. Hope to meet you sometime in Moab.

JoFotoz
05/22/2013, 09:03 AM
Hiya JR..

Great to meet you , Deanna and of course see Linda again ..in Moab.
Looking fwd to wheeling there with ya in the years to come :thumbup:

jo

Starglider
06/06/2013, 02:22 AM
I have just purchased a 1998 JDM silver Vehicross in the UK. The car is converted to run on propane (as well as petrol), has been de-badged and the rear suspension lifted two inches. Previous owner put a lightbar on the top using rail grabbers, there are also retractable TV antennaes at the back of the rails which seem to be non-functional. The car has covered 115,000 km, but everything seems to be in good shape. Drove back from Northern Ireland to London this morning, will be checking everything thoroughly for the MOT. The only fault so far seems to be a microswitch in the transmission mode selector. If you don't put downwards pressure on the stick, it occasionally randomly switches from 2WD to TOD mode when highway driving. Also the tint on the rear side windows is in bad shape, needs peeled off and replaced.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/stargliderx/4x4a_zps24e33766.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/stargliderx/4x4b_zpsbd78d3a1.jpg

Can't do much on the Vehicross right now as I am in the final stages of my twin-turbo DeLorean build (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=4324&start=52). Once that's done would certainly be up for putting a supercharger on the VX, though it looks like it's impossible to get the kits now.

Vendetta
06/06/2013, 02:57 AM
Welcome to the adiction, 'Glider. Good lookin' rig you got there. Seems very clean from the pics. Your hood insert is quite shiny - is it painted or recently treated with something? Any other mods that you know of?

And as for supercharging, yeah... don't lose any sleep over it. Trust me, I have, and I've lost even more since I got one. ;) You've got the DeLorean anyway. It's a good to have a non-VX go-fast outlet! (http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=244487&d=1369068246)
-V

Starglider
06/06/2013, 04:45 AM
Welcome to the adiction, 'Glider.

Thanks. I've owned an Audi Allroad (manual TDi) for some time, appreciated the quattro but wanted a real offroader. Had a salvage Volvo XC90 briefly to give it a try but wasn't impressed with that lump. I vaugely remembered the Vehicross from car news sites back when I was in university; looked it up and was pleasantly surprised to see a good online community for it. Running costs looked like an issue since it's petrol auto only, but I finally found a propane converted one to reduces the fuel costs.

Good lookin' rig you got there. Seems very clean from the pics. Your hood insert is quite shiny - is it painted or recently treated with something? Any other mods that you know of?

The grey hood panel looks clearcoated, wasn't sure if that was standard.

The previous owner removed all badges (even taped over the steering wheel center) but put this custom one on the grill;

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/stargliderx/vx-grill_zps3ef552f6.jpg

There is a custom amp and equaliser that doesn't seem to be working properly, haven't had time to fiddle with it in detail (lighter is also missing);

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/stargliderx/vx-ice_zps5c5ca45e.jpg

Light bar was clean when I left but covered in bugs from seven hours highway driving;

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/stargliderx/vx-lightbar_zpsdb1abaf9.jpg

Here's the propane tank;

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/stargliderx/vx-propane_zps97f535e4.jpg

I'd like to fit a hitch / towbar, not sure if the tank is going to be a problem (in the way of the crossbar). There is a cheap generic rear foglight, of the sort you see on a lot of import vehicles to meet minimum UK legal requirements (DeLorean owners often have these on just for the MOT test). The propane filler is just below, odd location but filler nozzle still fits ok.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/stargliderx/vx-fog_zps314a8c6b.jpg

Petrol tank has been reduced to about 25 litres to fit the propane tank, overall though range is increased from the original.

Engine looks in good shape, a few minor things cracked or rusted but the block, hoses, plugs, injectors etc look good. The previous owner put on a massive pod filter, which I suspect does nothing for power but does make a nice induction sound. The propane pump/filter/injectors look fairly tidy;

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/stargliderx/vx-engine_zpsc2b05e9c.jpg

VIN plate;

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/stargliderx/vx-vin_zps11503417.jpg

And as for supercharging, yeah... don't lose any sleep over it. Trust me, I have, and I've lost even more since I got one. ;)

Heh, the voice of experience. Maybe I'll look at it if/when I need to do an engine rebuild.

You've got the DeLorean anyway. It's a good to have a non-VX go-fast outlet

Yeah, the DMC-12 and the VX are complimentary and can always borrow the wife's Skoda if four doors are absolutely necessary, so I'll sell the Allroad. Nearly 130,000 miles on it, but the diesel engines are good for a lot more.

tom4bren
06/06/2013, 05:11 AM
I'd like to fit a hitch / towbar, not sure if the tank is going to be a problem (in the way of the crossbar).

Welcome to the family.

When you are ready to look into a hitch, I may have a solution for you. Maybe I could just get some drawings made up for you to get it fabricated over there rather than shipping a 30 lbs hunk of steel. Check my gallery for pix of the hidden hitch or look for the thread on the subject.

Leon R
06/06/2013, 05:59 AM
Welcome! I picked up my VX as a "winter beater", but... it is gradually becoming THE project car... So it appears that I am rearranging project prioritiest and my Turbo 4g63 powered Triumph TR7 is slipping back :(

So watch out! You have been warned! :)

How is the propane fuel work? Does it get mixed in with the petrol? Or switches to it exclusively? How does computer handle it?

Starglider
06/06/2013, 06:23 AM
How is the propane fuel work? Does it get mixed in with the petrol? Or switches to it exclusively? How does computer handle it?

There are a second set of injectors (+pump +filter) for the LPG; the petrol injectors are disabled when in LPG mode. I remember old cars that needed ECU modifications or even a second ECU to work with propane, but apparently that's all in the past, current systems are close enough in fueling to work with the existing ECU & map.