PDA

View Full Version : Aero-turbine MUFFLER installed

UtahVXer
03/30/2004, 09:58 PM
Just installed an Aero-turbine muffler. The performance gains are very noticeable. Sounds good too, very low tone when accelerating without excessive noise. I am going to check the effect on mileage. They make some very impressive claims:
http://www.aero-turbine.com/benefits/index.html

Tone
03/31/2004, 06:06 AM
1-6 hp - not bad but almost a third of the DYNOed HP improvement of the Powervault...too much flow is bad BTW.

Dallas4u
03/31/2004, 08:49 AM
Interesting. I like the sound clips and the claims. Of course, I'd go PV before anything else... but the PV's are gone, and options are needed!

Spy Hunter
03/31/2004, 10:57 AM
Get it dyno'd! Inquiring minds want to know!:D

UtahVXer
03/31/2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Tone
1-6 hp - not bad but almost a third of the HP improvement of the Powervault...

I tend to be rather skeptical about all manufacturers' claims. However, if, as they claim, the Aero-Turbine muffler really is the only one on the market that actually increases flow more than a straight pipe with no muffler at all, then it would be hard to imagine any other one boosting performance more. Many variables affect HP measurements. Any mufflers that use internal baffles (like Flowmaster, etc.) necessarily restrict flow at least a little bit by their design. In any case, don't you think the converter would become the most restrictive link in the flow chain? Regardless, PV wasn't an option for us given the strictly enforced noise ordinances where we live.

MZ-N10
03/31/2004, 05:40 PM
usally less restrictions is good...but u can over do it and instead lose proformance...
________
Vaporizer Video (http://vaporizers.tv/)

Chopper
03/31/2004, 05:54 PM
Ditto on the Aero Turbine mufflers. The PV's were too loud and raspy for my taste. The HP gain seems modest, but certainly nothing was lost. The improvement in sound alone is worth the 200 bucks. I'm happy with my A-T swap. Just one knucklehead's opinion.......

jayfotos
03/31/2004, 09:30 PM
Chopper, you had the PV and switched out?

The AT muffler looks a lot like the PV, there is that much of a difference in sound? I hear ya about the PV being a bit loud and raspy(at higher rpm's)....how did you compare the two before you put on the AT?

UtahVXer
04/01/2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by MZ-N10
usally less restrictions is good...but u can over do it and instead lose proformance...
I was curious about this so I asked A-T. One of their engineers agreed that a small amount of backpressure is beneficial for low-end torque only. But said this wasn't an issue for street cars since converters produce backpressure. (Remember NASCAR racers shoot straight out their manifolds.) The flow benefits of the turbine kick in at the mid and high range. He says they intentionally kept the web info conservative, but that regardless of competitor's DYNOclaims, in side-by-side comparisons A-T's always out perform. If anyone has questions give them a call at 877-266-5356. Naturally every manufacturer is going to claim theirs is the best; but regardless of who is right about performance, those who want a less noisy exhaust might consider an A-T. (No, they are not paying me to post this stuff, just thought someone might want to know.)

Chopper
04/02/2004, 05:23 PM
No, I never heard the PVs on the VX. I've heard them on another vehicle. We are lucky in that we have an excelent little exhaust shop down in Daytona. Marty turned me on to the ATs(even though he doesn't sell them). They shipped em, he did the stainless welding. I'm puting them on the '35 this weekend. They have an awsome howl when you wind it up. They're gonna rock on the V8. Wayne

UtahVXer
04/06/2004, 07:35 PM
I also put an AT muffler in my Grand Cherokee (w/V8), and experienced an incredible average mileage increase of 5 mpg (from 13 to 18). A friend was so impressed that after making a trip together to Wyoming he put one in his van (not a mini, also w/V8) as soon has he got back.
Anyway, please be advised that this type of muffler is NOT recommended for heavy off-road use, since dents could interfere with the functioning of the turbine.

Captain V
04/06/2004, 08:12 PM
Hey, I just got the Aero-T muffler installed Saturday 4/3/04, also I installed the Tornadofuelsaver in the air inlet hose. Drove it home approximately 450 miles. I noticed a significant mileage increase, Love the low end grunt, especially from 0-80mph. Interior sound level not as bad as I expected. According to the installers it will decrease at about 1500 miles...$200 well spent. Hey when will be taken off the NOOBEE list???:p

Tone
04/06/2004, 08:51 PM
Dyno results please. Sounds a lot like the fuel Tornado.....PowerVault was over a million $$ in development and doesn’t offer those kind of gains. Correct backpressure from a muffler is IMPERATIVE, converters are NOT sufficient to properly process the exhaust waves otherwise a straight pipe out the back would be most efficient and it isn’t.

Hotsauce
04/07/2004, 03:15 AM
For anyone who thinks their muffler increases flow more than a straight pipe....

Why not put 3 or 4 in a row for combined gain?

The way to lower noise in a muffler is to reflect sound half a wave out of phase back on itself to cancel out. You want to do this with minimal change or loss of gas velocity.

The only time a muffler will make more power than a straight pipe is if the engine is tuned too lean with the straight pipe. Given a chance to tune both, the straight pipe will make more power every time.

John C.

FeatherFoot
04/07/2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Hotsauce

The only time a muffler will make more power than a straight pipe is if the engine is tuned too lean with the straight pipe. Given a chance to tune both, the straight pipe will make more power every time.

John C.

You show me your data and I'll show you mine.!!!!

FF

Reg Hinnant
04/17/2004, 04:23 PM
I installed an Aeroturbine muffler and here are my thoughts on it.

I had a fabricator make up SS ends exactly like stock, where it could be bolted on, and has the front & rear hangars. I ended up getting a good professional job on it.

My thoughts:
Better sound! Deeper & lower than the PV catback I had.
No interior resonation. This was a big improvement over the PV catback in this vehicle.
The ground clearance is better than the stock muffler with no square edges to catch. (See pictures)
I feel the power increase to be about the same as what I remember, however that remains to be argued until some one dyno's it, if it's that important to them.

I think it’s a good alternative to the PV and/or substitute, since PV's are about gone.

Now with all that said, for me, it’s still louder than what I'm looking for. However, I know that a lot guys will like it just as it is.
I am offering it for sale on the forum. $275.00 + shipping. It is good buy as it can be just bolted on and uses the factory front & rear hangers. Contact me at reghinnant@hotmail.com.

Reg Hinnant
04/17/2004, 04:26 PM
Picture of the assy. More pictures available if you need them.
This comes complete with bolts also.

Hotsauce
04/17/2004, 04:50 PM
Reg:

I belive you could make sales with just those 2 pipes/flanges/hangers so that buyers could easily install ANY muffler.

I know I would buy a set to play with.

John C.

psychos2
04/17/2004, 07:44 PM
Hotsauce , i had a flowmaster installed at a muffler shop and they made the flanges .any good muffler shop can make those.it cost me $60 to have it installed. they made the hangers also. shawn

visconte
04/17/2004, 10:39 PM
Having lived in Europe for 14 years it is interesting the difference in tastes with regard to car exhaust. Listen to a Ferrari and you will note mid-range and higher-pitched exhaust notes. In fact the low burbling tone so desired by muscle car owners in the US seems to be a regional phenomena. Anyway what does the PV sound like? Low or mid-range pitch? Thx, Vis

visconte
04/17/2004, 10:50 PM
There is quite a lot to exhaust design, don't consider it trivial. Spent nearly $2K on an exhaust system for the Maserati 228 I had and ended up with a stainless steel Stebro when I should have just got the stock Anza from the git-go. BTW the 228 had two turbos and believe me you do not want ANY back pressure in a turbo exhaust system! Resonance was also a big issue due to the 60 degree V of the 228 and firing order. I guess if I were going to change the VX exhaust I would go for the stocker unless someone really made a good case for performance gains with an aftermarket unit... thx,
Vis

PS I will need an exhaust soon, anyone have a rough idea of pricing for the stock unit? thx

Hotsauce
04/18/2004, 02:54 AM
The PV catback really does make noticable power increase. Good Luck finding one now. There was an initial drama about the exhaust tip, but its solved now.

John C.