PDA

View Full Version : WTF! Loud whine from tranny!

VX_PA
04/02/2004, 10:59 AM
When I drive over 20 mph the transmission or rear end is making a whining noise. The faster I go the louder it gets, right now I just turn the volume up on the stereo and pump the 12" subs to drown it out. I don't think it can be good that it's making this sound. Any ideas what it could be??

I just had the transmission serviced at 62,000 miles when I replaced the engine, I'm currently at 67,000 miles. It has been fine up until this week.

I'm on my own with this one since the dealer that I used to go to closed at the end of January. Now the closest dealer is 2 1/2 hours away. Damn, I should've done an engine and tranny swap like Coach is doing!!:mad:

Moncha
04/03/2004, 08:32 AM
Big difference between the tranny and rear end.. Check you transfer case, then the rear end. Either may just be low on fluids.

PBR
04/03/2004, 09:46 AM
I had a bad differential whine above 60 mph, after arguing with the dealer and getting a signed petition by six other vx owners, I got the dealer to rebuild rear differential gear, problem solved.

SPAZZ
04/03/2004, 10:34 AM
mine started whining after I took it swimming. Changed oil a few times got all water out...whine is less...but I think it is coming from the tranny....I will have to get a power flush done and change to synthetics...maybe it will stop altogether after that.

VX_PA
04/03/2004, 11:22 AM
Okay, so I put my VX on jack stands and ran it in drive so I could listen where the whine was coming from and it sounds like it is coming from the rear of the transmission. I checked the fluid in the tranny and the rear (I know no noise in rear, but thought while I had it up just as well to check it too) and both were full. I don't have the knowledge to drop the tranny and rip it open to see if there is a problem, so I dropped it off the stands and went for a ride. It seems like the whine isn't as loud as when I posted this, but it is still noticable.

On another note, it had been raining for the past week solid and the noise seems to be louder when it's wet out. I plan on changing the fluid again in the fall so maybe, like Spazz is thinking, that will solvel the problem. It's not affecting the performance of the VX, so I"ll live with it for now. Who knows, maybe it will self heal?? (fingers crossed) ;)

Teckhardt
04/03/2004, 01:11 PM
I also had to have the rear diff (third member) replaced because of a loud while. The first dealer I took it to said that was normal. The second opened the rear end and said it was shot. This was with only 20K miles.

NJVX
04/04/2004, 08:43 AM
They found that all the bearings and gears were shot in the rear just before I bought mine. The only way I found this out was when I was reading the repair logs that the previous owner left in the glove box. I think he should have told me that the rearend was just replaced only 500 miles ago. But none the less I love my VX.....Its the S__t.....