PDA

View Full Version : Very interesting review...

Heraclid
04/03/2004, 12:36 PM
Considering this has happened to a few of us, I thought this was interesting. The reviewer is a former Isuzu salesperson. Here's what got my attention...

"Just don't try to back up. You can't see anything out of that oddly shaped rear window. I was one that was trained to use the windows and the mirrors when backing up. With the VehiCross it's the mirrors only. You can not see clearly out the rear of this vehicle no matter how tall you are. I do believe that at least three of our sales reps ran into poles or other vehicles when backing up the VehiCross. All said they couldn't see anything!"

What goofballs... maybe one of us here had these folks wreck their VX? He's in Hillsborough, NC.

Read the rest of the review here:
http://www.epinions.com/auto-review-23C3-1ECE0E-392B159A-prod6

deermagnet
04/03/2004, 02:26 PM
I guess that guy just loves writing reviews. He has 62 of 'em on that site. He has one for a Kia Sportage and also a Suzuki Grand Vitara which he also used to sell, but I guess he never owned any of the vehicles he's reviewing. I on the other hand have actually owned a VX for over four years. The limited rear view has been a non-issue for me. I have no spot mirrors, no Van Eyes, and no rear view camera, yet I have never had a single problem, even when driving in mid-town Manhattan a couple times. If you're considering a VX, you need to spend a good deal of time driving it before you panic on the rear view issue.

Mark

Daver
04/03/2004, 04:47 PM
I think it's a big deal.

The blind spots are too big to pass off as nothing.

I'd say its manageable, but only with significant effort. I'd bet New York is easier to deal with than my apartment complex where kids can come out of nowhere and frequently are everywhere.

-Daver

psychos2
04/03/2004, 04:58 PM
i also have no problem with backing up.it is no worse than a pickup truck with a cap covering the bed. it is all in the mirrors. if you think the vx is bad try driving a u-haul truck towing a car.
shawn

mrtew
04/04/2004, 06:00 AM
I pretty much try to pretend everything is fine when backing up totally blind too. Here's hoping that none of us ever run over anything important. The price of supercool styling shouldn't be too high if we always check what's behind us before getting in and never just assume that it's clear back there.

Triple X
04/04/2004, 06:24 AM
I know I was ridiculed when I first joined this group for mentioning it, but I'll say it again. I use the plastic magnifier lens in the back window of my VX and have no problems seeing out the back of mine. I can see right down to the ground behind me when I'm backing up. Super cool styling is one thing (and the VX is truly super cool), but how super cool would anyone feel if they backed over a kid or a dog? I'm more than willing to give up a little bit of asthetics for a lot of safety.

Yefim
04/04/2004, 09:50 AM
Triple X, not sure why you would be ridiculed for this. I remember quite a few people tried those and few still use them. In fact, I had that same lens on my rear window as well for a while when I first bought my VX in 99 and it was VERY helpful. Then I took it off because I needed to tint the windows and forgot to put it back on. Then I think I lost it during my move and since I got used to just relying on the side mirrors I didn't get a new one. But it does help a ton, and it is a very good safety mod. Also, you can barely see that lens from the outside, especially if you have some tint - then it is pretty much unnoticeable.

Now I rely on my side mirrors so much that I don't even have the rear view mirror mounted :) It fell off on one very hot day last summer and I didn't bother putting it back on since it is useless except for the map lights. I think I am gonna use the remaining power connector to hardwire my V1.

Baxman
04/04/2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Yefim
Now I rely on my side mirrors so much that I don't even have the rear view mirror mounted :) It fell off on one very hot day last summer and I didn't bother putting it back on since it is useless except for the map lights. I think I am gonna use the remaining power connector to hardwire my V1. [/B]

I agree with hardwiring the V-1 (dangling cords are bait for bored or vindictive law enforcement), but if you use that power source, your V-1 will ALWAYS be on. Better to use a power source from the fuse box that is off with the key. Run the wire up behind the A-pillar trim. If you re-mount the mirror as high as possible on the windshield, it becomes much more useful and you get those cool maplights back.;Db;