PDA

View Full Version : Rear Ashtray conversion to Cup Holder

t2p
04/06/2004, 04:38 PM
... anyone convert the rear ashtray (on the back of the console) to a retractable/folding/whatever cup holder ?
........ is this possible ? ...... I have not pulled the ashtray to determine if there is any room for something like this .....

Triple X
04/06/2004, 06:29 PM
I converted mine. When I bought my VX the part of the ashtray that flips out was missing, but the back or 'case' was still there. In the ongoing effort to solve the cupholder dilemma, I thought it might be a good idea to try to use that location.

If you're interested, here's how:

I bought a retractable/flip down cup holder from the auto parts store - the kind that is designed to stick into the ac vent. The backside of this cupholder is narrow enough to fit into the back (case? shell? - I don't know what to call it) of the ashtray. So, I just unscrewed the back of the ashtray from the console, drilled to pilot holes through the top of it then lined up the cupholder in the right position and ran two screws through the top. Then just put the ashtray back into the console.

Advantages: gives you a decent cupholder and for me covered up the missing ashtray.

Disadvantages: the position is a little awkward, but I don't care - I'm 6' tall, so my seat is pretty far back and it's not a bad reach for me. however, I have found that the cupholder is okay for soda cans, but not so good for water bottles. if I forget that there's a water bottle back there and open the console to get something, it hits the top of the water bottle.

Other nice advantage: (probably only good for me) I do freelance work which means I'm often going to several different places around Atlanta in one day. Sometimes I have a little down-time in between assignments and like to while away the time with a nap. The backseat of the VX is very comfortable for napping and the little flip down cupholder (when not flipped down) is the perfect size to hold my cell phone which I use as an alarm clock. So, find life's little pleasures where you can.

I would post picks, however my VX is in the shop (has been since last Friday). The Chrysler dealership where I bought it has sent it to an Isuzu dealership to see if they can figure out why it's burning 3 quarts of oil over 1,000 miles. I've already gotten an extended warranty through Chrysler so I'm hoping (fingers crossed!) that they will put a new engine in it, or at least rebuild the one that's in it (valves/rings/bearings). We'll see what happens and I will post pics when I get her back.

Take care-

Navigator
04/07/2004, 06:15 AM
...To coin holders :rotate:

nater
04/07/2004, 09:32 AM
My Trooper has the ashtray to cup holder conversion. I wonder if this would fit the VX? It sold as an accessory, but was in my truck when I picked it up new. The ashtray was in the glovebox...

Call Merlin at St. Charles Isuzu, I'm sure he can figure something out.

Nate