PDA

View Full Version : Will denso iridium sparks work?

Mr. I-MAN
04/09/2004, 06:59 PM
I know that when our pistons are not firing they act as sensors.
I was wondering if iridium tip spark plugs would throw misfire codes ( blinking CEL)? My MR-2 spyder uses iridium tipped plugs and the manual says that the only kind I can use in it, It has a simular spark plug sensing set up. I was also wondering if the iridium tips would give better performance?:confused:

MZ-N10
04/09/2004, 08:50 PM
iridium plugs r suppose to increase proformance...but so r alot of things.......u can always be the first to try and tell us if it worked out
________
ZOLOFT SETTLEMENT NEWS (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/zoloft/)

MrCrowley
04/10/2004, 06:44 AM
A few cars are starting to come with them oem. I know the WRX-STI does too. I know this is biased, but if its good enough for Subaru, its good enough for me. I know how they develop their cars and their track record. They are extremely conservative about what they release. I know im using them soon on the Troop and VX. If I wasnt using Iridium, I would use the ol' NGK's at least. Ive never looked, but I know Denso or NGK is in both of the trucks already. Dont mess with sucess!

UtahVXer
04/13/2004, 09:17 AM
My opinion is that unless the engine has been modified, you are usually best off using the plugs your car was designed to use. Most supercharger manufacturers recommend switching to a plug one step "colder" than stock (i.e. NGK PFR6G-11 instead of PFR5G-11). I don't know about the Alpine SC (don't have one, yet). Colder plugs transfer more heat more quickly from the cylinder, thereby lessening the risk of preignition problems which can seriously damage the engine. Plugs too cold aren't good either, but at least the worst that can happen is plug fouling -- no cylinder damage.
If you want to try iridium, why not go with the new NGK Iridium eXtreme (BKR5EIX-11). They have superior ignitability (more of the fuel mixture is burned) for better performance. The trade-off is they have half the service life of the Laser Platinums, but I believe they also cost half as much.

Cyrk
04/13/2004, 09:49 AM
I am running Bosch Platinum +4 Plugs with my SC, nice plugs should offer better performance over stock, but not really a pure performance plug like a Iridium plug...

Also I have noticed with my Bosch +4's that at startup about a minute in the rpms go up and down 3 to 4 times to the point of almost stalling... then it is fine... not sure why this is?

I think I might try a Iridium type plug sometime in the near future, I here the work great with Superchargers...

Here is NGK's listing on our VX's:
http://www.ngk.com/results_app.asp?aaia=1355879

-Dave

VehiP&J
04/13/2004, 10:28 AM
witch plugs came factory in the VX? I am assuming NGK was it the platinums? Just wondering?

MZ-N10
04/13/2004, 06:01 PM
i think theyre denso plugs...
________
ROLL A JOINT (http://howtorollajoint.net/)

t2p
04/14/2004, 06:16 AM
Cyrk:
From reading posts on this forum, my guess would be that a vacuum leak - and/or poor seal from the intake manifold gaskets/o-rings may be the culprit.
This may be especially true if you notice this when the engine is very cold (think Space Shuttle - Challenger).
I had (actually still have) a Ford Explorer with the SOHC engine - this engine sufferred from a similar problem. New intake manifold o-rings cured the problem.
t2p