PDA

View Full Version : New Engine Help

Kahuna
04/10/2004, 12:58 PM
Well, after reading alot of Threads in here about Engine failures, I have resolved myself that I will probally need a new engine sometime in the future. Although I'm not having problems now, it seems it's inevitable. I have a 99.

QUESTIONS:

When that day arrives (hopefully not), what engine should be put in?

How much should an engine cost?

Are all Isuzu engine (3.5lt V6), a problem? If so, what's the answere.

I love my VX!! I really want to keep it for many, many years to come, but not if it's going to cost me 5k bucks every 60k Miles.

SPAZZ
04/10/2004, 01:07 PM
RING RING...PICK UP THE PHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey...give me your Nextel private ID number and we can talk on walkie talkie....I have nation wide free wialkie talkie...and unlimited incoming minutes;Dp;

VX922
04/10/2004, 02:09 PM
Kahuna
Don't worry I'll sell you mine if yours fail, it is still for sale. In a mean time go synthetic and relax.
:)

coachreed
04/13/2004, 07:36 PM
I would highly recommend checking your oil every week... if you notice ANY oil consumption then you should worry... from my understanding the replacement motors have a revised oil pump and possibly bearings as well...

Spazz-
I'd drop my D.C. number but then your blow my phone up! lol Although... Nextel D.C. service ROCKS! gotta love it!

TTYL!

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am) ;)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/406banner.jpg (http://www.geocities.com/ironmanvx2000)
Undergoing LS1 Conversion as we speak!
Click Image to Visit My Website!

psychos2
04/13/2004, 09:20 PM
you can get your oil tested. you will know if you have a bearing going and it can be
fixed. shawn

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3588&highlight=oil+tested

majork
05/10/2005, 09:10 PM
I have had some minor oil consumption since I bought a 99 VX with 8000 miles....now it has 138, 000 miles...the engine appears to be going strong if a tad rougher at times...

I dont think oil consumption is an indicator per se

GoIsuzu
05/12/2005, 12:16 AM
The new 3.5L V6s have several improvements over the 3.5L's that were available when the VehiCROSS's were originally manufactured. If I'm not mistaken the new 3.5L direct injection motors also produce about 20 more horsepower than the older 3.5L engines. They also retail for around 5 grand so unless you have some very deep pockets, such an expense might be a tad bit overkill for a six year old vehicle.

VX crazy
05/12/2005, 04:55 AM
DI engines will NOT install in the VX without lots and lots of work - new harnesses and new ECU to start. It is ONLY the DIs that have changed substaintially.

I have a VX engine in my garage that toasted the front two rod bearings and after close examinations (including some xrays) there does not appear to be any problem with the design of the engine. The 6 bolt mains were way solid and crank oil passeges identical for all cylinders. Since cyl 1 on 2 are closest to the oil pump, I can only guess that when low on oil and driving, the pump is pushing what little oil there is to the back cylinders and there is an overall lack of sufficient oi in the frontl. Almost all that have failed have been off the stick on oil and I content that failures have more to do with proper regular oil changes along with regular, weekly oil level checks - something spelled out in general vehicle maintenance - and more often for highway driving. I also do not believe that clogged EGR or PCV directly causes the engine to fail.

Green Dragon
05/12/2005, 06:30 AM
TV6QCVD0FJF2D$ and I content that failures have more to do with proper regular oil changes along with regular, weekly oil level checks - something spelled out in general vehicle maintenance - and more often for highway driving. I also do not believe that clogged EGR or PCV directly causes the engine to fail.

Yes the reason for engine failure is lack of oil ( usually to #1 bearing). However, it is the poor design of the piston scraper ring which allows the oil to burn at the cyl head instead of returning to the oil pan for recirculation that along with increased crankcase pressure & higher cylinder head temps is the problem as I see it. Ask yourself, Why is it that after Isuzu redesigned the scraper ring & PCV valve the engine failure problem suddenly was no more? They didn't change the drivers habits & they didn't install a 50 gallon drum of engine oil as a reserve. Actually if 1 qt of oil per 1000 miles is acceptable, then you should never change oil again, just the filter as Isuzu also contends that 7500 mile oil change is recommended under normal driving conditions.

mbeach
05/12/2005, 07:54 AM
I don't know about others, but these last two posts make me feel a lot better.

As long as I keep up on my religious maintenance schedule, I don't have to worry about a ticking timebomb under my hood.

mjd709
05/12/2005, 08:46 AM
I feel better as well. My replacement engine has the redesigned pcv. Just do the maintenance and no worries.

Jolly Roger VX'er
05/12/2005, 07:24 PM
I also do not believe that clogged EGR or PCV directly causes the engine to fail.

I didn't know what to believe at first either. All I know is that I'm pretty anal about checking my oil level in that I check it during gas fill-ups...anytime I'm sitting on level ground....before & after taking road trips.

My VX never used any more than say 1/3 to 1/2 quart of oil in 3,000 miles and most often less than that. Then, at 33,000 miles it suddenly consumed a quart out of nowhere and was at the add a quart line and that was about half-way between oil changes...say at around 1,500 miles.

I had just read about the EGR cleaning tip & PCV replacement tips from this website as posted by others...so I thought what the heck and yanked off my EGR and flushed it out with oxygen sensor safe carb cleaner and reinstalled as well as changing out my PCV for the first time. I've changed the PCV since then at intervals of every other oil change or about every 6,000 miles.

All I know is that ever since my VX has hardly used any oil between 3,000 mile change intervals...I mean it's now a hair under full. I cannot rule out coincidence as perhaps something else is responsible. But for the small amount of time & money to pursue what may be simply a "superstitous routine", I'll take my chances that it might just be working!

I've since replaced the factory intake with Tone's Alpine Supercharger and added a breather filter to the PCV intake.

Perhaps engine failure is a culmination of everything that has been said by Tone, VX Crazy, SGT & Grandpa Bob in that it takes a stuck closed PCV to cause a buildup of crankcase pressure that hampers an already existing design flaw in the efficiency of the oil scraping rings which allows too much oil to remain in the cylinders while the EGR Valve begins sticking closed due to carbon deposits which creates higher temperatures in the cylinders because exhaust gases aren't
making their way into the cylinders to be reburned or otherwise smothering a fresh air/fuel intake charge. All this might create an oil burning situation and the owner might overlook checking the oil and whamo you get oil starvation in the #1 cylinder resulting in engine failure????

james1vx
05/12/2005, 07:49 PM
i have a silver 99engine has let go in it. Been looking for engine for about a month now. Long block from Auto Zone $4500. "ouch". have come across rebuilder in Utah long blocks for around 2500. hope to have one in June. I get my 99 fixed am going to sell my Yellow 01 for sure i dont think i want to go through this with that one also. :(

Jolly Roger VX'er
05/13/2005, 04:56 PM
Food for Thought:

http://www.powerpro2000.com/lb_isuzu_about.htm

I don't know anything about these guys....just thought I would post in case there's any interest.