PDA

View Full Version : Blazer ZR2 ? - compared to VX

t2p
04/22/2004, 07:37 AM
Curious ....
How does the Blazer with the ZR2 package compare to the VX ?
I've driven a 'standard' Blazer 2dr - my folks own one - but I have never been in a ZR2 and do not know anyone that owns one.
t2p

Triathlete
04/22/2004, 08:12 AM
Come on now. You know the answer to that. Nothing compares to a VX!!!!!!!!;Dy; ;Dy; ;Dy; ;Dy; ;Dy; ;Dy; ;Dy; ;Dy;

t2p
04/22/2004, 08:19 AM
You triatheletes are all the same ..........
can't get a straight anwser from them .......
too much time spent on the aero bars I suppose ......
(I showed up one time for a ride with aero bars installed and my friends almost refused to ride with me .......)

Triathlete
04/22/2004, 08:29 AM
Yeah, "roadies" hate to get their butts kicked by guys with aero bars and "little" wheels around here too!:naughty:
By the way I used to have family I visited back in Pitt and Slippery Rock! Actually raced in Butler and Reading!

Tone
04/22/2004, 09:27 AM
How can you even ASK that question?!

t2p
04/22/2004, 09:35 AM
I knew better ..........
but then ..... in a 'weak moment' ......... I made the post ......
(cringe) ......
I saw one (Blazer ZR2) the other day ........ it appeared to have decent ground clearance ......... has leaf springs in the rear though ..........
sorry ....
(btw: the spare on the back looks like it hinders rear visibility - as much or more as the rear of the VX)

Jolly Roger VX'er
04/23/2004, 03:20 PM
My parents bought a black ZR-2 Blazer a couple months ago. It is nice looking and I got to drive it. My impressions were as follows:

Blazer ZR-2 Vs. VX

Accessibility (getting in and out) to rear seats:
winner---------> ZR-2

Rear Cargo capacity:
winner---------> ZR-2

Rear Visibility :
winner---------> basically a tie...VX with VanEyes lens wins.

Steering:
winner--------> VX wins with better road feel and easier turning.

Acceleration:
winner-------->VX's 215hp vs ZR-2 195hp.....definitely VX!

Overall ride/comfort:
winner---------> overall a tossup....both stiff...VX's shorter wheelbase makes for a bit more choppy ride.

Overall on-road handling:
winner--------> definitely VX with sportier feel on-road where ZR-2 feels simply like a truck-based SUV.

underhood impressions:
winner-------->VX engine bay definitely looks modern and clean-cut whereas ZR-2 surprised me as being out-dated and many components (aluminum in particular) were corroded (oxidized).

Gas mileage:
winner-------->oink, oink....neither one does well here...couldn't pick a winner in this category.

overall comparisons:

I like both vehicles and wouldn't mind owning one of each. The VX simply put is much more rare and crosses the two worlds of sportiness and off-roadability whereas the ZR-2 looks and feels
like you are driving a "huskier" more truck-like version of the base blazer. My parents knock the VX for its poor access to and from the rear seats. We have power/winter mode and TOD plus separate mirror/rear window defrosters whereas the ZR-2 has no power/winter mode and manually (knob switch) activated 4X4 as well as combined mirror/rear window defrosters. However, the ZR-2 can be had with a nice motorized moon roof and optional manual transmission. ZR-2's tend to sag on rearend as shocks age while some VX's tend to need premature OEM shock replacement. Can you say "Cladding!" Bottom line......only You know what you really want!

PS---not sure which exceeds off-road wise...but have to expect VX to be superior from what I've seen on this site!

P.S. II -------> Aftermarket heavily supports the bowtie with all sorts of goodies whereas..as you all know...we get virtually squat as the VX is so limited in production. Thanks again to Tone and Everybody here for their aftermarket offerings which allow us spoiled brats to mod our beloved beasts with goodies galore!

t2p
04/23/2004, 03:37 PM
JR:
Thanks for the info. I have always wondered about the Blazer ZR2 ..... wondered how much it could be improved over the standard Blazer ....
I believe you are a 'locomotive guy' - are you assembler (GE plant in/near Erie) - or do you do primarily repair work - Conrail yard ..... in Western PA ...... or ......... ???
One of these days we will have to meet in .... none other than .. (you mentioned it earlier) .......... Mars PA ! ..........
t2p

Jolly Roger VX'er
04/23/2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by t2p

I believe you are a 'locomotive guy' - are you assembler (GE plant in/near Erie) - or do you do primarily repair work - Conrail yard ..... in Western PA ...... or ......... ???
One of these days we will have to meet in .... none other than .. (you mentioned it earlier) .......... Mars PA ! ..........
t2p

Thanks for asking...I work @ GE plant in/near Erie, PA as an assembler in the AC/DC Propulsion division dealing with Locomotive/Oil-Drilling motors/Motorized-Wheel (giant earth moving dump trucks used for mining).

Everytime I go to Pittsburgh I see some VX's prowling around and I believe most do not know about this site. Would love to have a Pittsburgh based meet somewhere with anyone interested invited. Some brainstorming ideas:

1) MARS....perhaps Max & Ermas?
2) Pittsburgh....Carneigie Science Center with IMAX theater....
"Hooters" @ Station Square...
3) Butler/New Castle Area.....Moraine State Park....McConnells Mill State Park....
4) Erie........Presque Isle (Peninsula) State Park

Canfield Fairgrounds, OHio has events coming up such as:

1) Steel Valley Nationals May 28,29,30
Come join us for cars,bikes, trucks and good times. Celebrate Canfield's show-car history. Street Rods, Hot Rods, Tuners, Motorcycles, Pro Street, Trucks, 4 x 4's and Street Machines.
Gate Price: At gate Adults $5.00 Children (12 & over) $5.00 11 & under Free; Advance Adult $4.00 Children (12 &
Time: Fri/Sat: 8:00 am-5:00 pm Sun: 8:00 am-4:00 pm
URL: www.autoevents.com

2) 4-Wheel Jamboree Nationals
Saturday, July 24, 2004 to Sunday, July 25, 2004
The biggest baddest truck show in the country. Monsters, Mud, Rock crawl and much more.
Gate Price: Advance $12 adult; $5.00 child
Time: Saturday 9a.m. to 7p.m. - Sunday 9a.m. to 5p.m.
Contact: The Promotion Company 317/236-6515 info@familyevents.com
URL: www.familyevents.com

Dallas4u
04/23/2004, 04:38 PM
Not sure how capable the last gen Blazer was... but there was NOTHING about it that I liked, and I wouldn't even put it next to a VX. I thought the exterior was ugly, and the interior was not only ugly but cheap. Not very rugged looking, but again, I'm not sure how capable (primarily the ZR2) was/is.

I liked the full size Blazer (K5?) before it. Cheap interior, but MUCH better looking and I would assume MUCH more capable (ZR1).