PDA

View Full Version : Thumping Noise

joesvx
04/26/2004, 07:38 AM
Yesterday I took my aftermarket wheels and tires (31" Good Year MTR's ) and put my stock wheels back on. Now I have a thumping when I go slow. It does it when the brakes are applied and when they are not. It does it in gear or just coasting.Its not the tire cause it does it about twice for every rotation of the tire. It kinda sounds like someone is tapping on the underside of the car with a wrench or something. (only description I could think of) It kinda sounds like it is coming from the front maybe the right side. I am not very mechanicaly inclined so please help.... Thanks, Joe

VX4EJR
04/26/2004, 08:00 AM
You know, I have the same thing except I haven't changed or touched the wheels or brakes. It makes this noise occasionally, not all the time, but when applying brakes or slowing down to a stop...then I hear the thump, or it sounds like something disengaging but not the transmission.
I also sometimes get a binding clicking sound when first applying brakes when the VX hasn't been in use for a while. Everything works fine though so I have no clue what it is or whether to care about it??
Anyone else get this?

xdfarrx
04/26/2004, 09:19 AM
The splines and the u-joints are known to bind, or be tight. The noise you describe is similiar to this. Lube drive line for starters. I had my u-joints rebuilt, on warranty, when that wasn't the fix. good luck