PDA

View Full Version : Grease Points ???

Kahuna
04/27/2004, 03:15 PM
I have read many threads in here but have not exactely what I'm looking for. Yes, I did a search!!:smack:

I bought Mobil 1 Hi-Temp Lit grease....and I know there are only three points have have to worry about. SPAZZ wrote "greasing the u joints and drive line grease points", and TP2 wrote,"a 'dry' slip joint can cause a clunk" XDFARRX- wrote "I also did my energy urethane sway bar bushings", while TONE wrote "There are only 3 zerks on the VX (unless you have added the greasable sway bar bushings) - 2 on the front section of the rear driveshaft and one on the rear of the driveshaft. That is all."

Okay, I'm on information OVERLOAD!

Can somebody simply tell me what the heck I need to do!! And pics would be great....as my mother always said to me as a kid, "what do I have to draw a picture for you".......YEAH, you do!

Do I need a grease gun? Where are these points? HELP!!!

:?:

Ron Pfeiffer
04/27/2004, 05:42 PM
Here goes:

You do need a grease gun. I take it you bought the Mobil-1 in a cardboard tube? That is what goes in the gun. The tube should say which end goes in first. If you got it in a tub, you have to manually load the gun, which is messy but not hard.

Slide under the VX until you can see the driveshaft. You should see three zerks - little nipple-like fittings - on the driveshaft were Tone said. Those are all you have, unless you added aftermarket parts (which is what Tone and XDFARRX were talking about).

Swear a lot because you left the grease-gun behind. Slide out and get it. Slide back underneath to the driveshaft.

Put the grease-gun's nozzle onto each zerk and pump grease into it until you see the old grease forced out of the joint. The new should replace the old completely.

Crawl back out. Bring the grease-gun out with you.

You're done. Wash and wax your VX and stare at it like a love-sick fool for a while. Go inside and try to figure out how many organs you need to sell to afford that supercharger . . .

Now, the caveat. While I have used a grease-gun lots in my life, I haven't greased my VX yet. Its on tap for this weekend. So if I've missed anything that's VX specific, somebody chime in and let us both know!

Hope this helps! If you still need them, let me know and I'll take pictures tomorrow and post them.

Ron

Reg Hinnant
04/28/2004, 06:39 AM
You missed:
Slide under the VX until you can see the driveshaft. You should see three zerks - little nipple-like fittings - on the driveshaft were Tone said.
Swear a lot because you left the grease-gun behind. Slide out and get it. Slide back underneath to the driveshaft.
Swear a lot because the grease fittings are in the wrong spot & the drive shaft needs to be rotated. Slide out and move the car a foot. Slide back underneath to the driveshaft. Find the grease gun again. Swear a lot because the cheap grease gun you bought does not have a flexable hose with the nipple on the end and is difficult to use unless the drive line is positioned just right. Slide out and move the car another foot. Slide back underneath to the driveshaft. Find the grease gun again. Swear a lot at the grease gun & your self for buying it.

Anita
04/28/2004, 09:08 AM
Reg,

I would buy a ticket to watch you grease your VX. ;Dr;

Hey, Im gonna be down your way and in Austin over Memorial Day weekend. Would love to see you and Mrs. Reg again

Kahuna
04/28/2004, 09:11 AM
You guys are funny:thumbup: I see you have done this before. But you see I'm smart...and thought of the flexable hose thing and already bought one. Wooohowwww...I get a browny point!!

Okay REG, you said' 'Swear a lot because the grease fittings are in the wrong spot & the drive shaft needs to be rotated". Okay, what do you mean by this?.....I thought I was confident going into this project today and now ?????? you made me worry. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!:wtfb2:

RON- Thanks for all the info!!!!

Reg Hinnant
04/28/2004, 09:35 AM
Kahuna, no worries!
You'll find out when you scoot under the car. (get a large piece of cardboard to lay on)
The grease fitting on each universal joint is on 1 of the 4 sides. If they are pointing up, you are out of luck getting the grease fitting on the nipple. You will have to rotate the drive line to get the grease fitting pointing down or sideways to be able to press the grease gun connector on the nipple.
1 grease nipple on the universal joint on the front of the drive shaft and 1 on the rear universal joint. The 3rd is on the front of the drive shaft about 6" to the rear of the universal joint.

Anita, let me know your plans & where you'll be and I'll see if we can be up there.

Reg

iownvx
05/03/2004, 01:37 PM
Thanks to all who contributed to this tread. I just greased the u-joints and propeller shaft (3 points) 1st time. It was easy to find if you follow this tread. Now my stop and go clunk is gone.

Make sure you buy the flexable hose if your grease gun does not come with one. The middle nibble is almost impossible to get to without it. Also it's less dangeous to do this job when the car is cool down.

Have fun.

Kahuna
05/04/2004, 09:03 AM
Thanks ALL!!

I just greased my nipples! There's a better way of saying that. Just greased my U-joints and drive shaft.

Your right, was very easy to do...5 minutes at most. The hardest part about it had nothing to do with the actual process but trying to load the grease cartiridge into a grease gun. Just could'nt seem to get the cap closed. After 10 minutes on that, I was ready to work.

AGAIN THANKS

SilverBullet75
07/09/2005, 11:35 AM
Hi, has anyone had as much trouble as I have with greasing the drive shaft (center nipple)?? The U-joints were a breeze... but the zirk for the drive shaft keeps spitting out the grease. I have a good connection with the grease gun... just keeps resisting. Any tricks?

Ldub
07/09/2005, 03:05 PM
Silver Bullet,
You have a zirk fitting that has become stuck open because dirt has gotten between the little spring loaded ball & the opening it sits in. You can try to dislodge it w/ a dental pick, which leaves the offending dirt particle to wreak havoc w/ driveline components. OR you can go to the parts store & get a new zirk fitting, which is the better solution IMO. That's why it's important to wipe your nipples clean before you grease them...& even then, you can still experience the dreaded "stuck nipple syndrome".

Good luck, Ldub

SPAZZ
07/09/2005, 11:15 PM
as a matter of f act I did this today...only I have 4 Sway bar zirks, 4 rear drag bar zirks, 4 Tierod zirks, and the three driveline/ujoint zirks. I made sure a long long time ago that I had the right grease pump as well as all the different type fittings and heads.