PDA

View Full Version : Done with Dealers!!!!!

Teckhardt
05/06/2004, 07:57 PM
I just had my 37.5K service done at the dealer - just to ensure that I had the receipt if there was ever a warranty issue. I checked my oil today and it was overfilled by about a quart. Jiffy Lube can do a better job! I don't care about the warranty, I am taking my car to a local garage I trust from now on.

t2p
05/07/2004, 06:33 AM
hmmm ....
I would expect more from a dealer ........
and that is exactly what I would expect from an outfit such as Jiffy Lube ....... those places are famous for loose and stripped drain plugs ......... loose oil filters ....... low oil ..... high oil ...........
although I recently talked to one Zu dealer service manager that informed me that the VX trans does not have a filter ..........
this trans has been in (Isuzu) service since (at least) 98 I believe (98 Trooper) .......... over six years ....... and they don't know there is a filter in the trans ........ ???

Dallas4u
05/07/2004, 08:20 AM
I would stay away from the "Jiffy Lubes" of America, and I'm including all of the econo-lube places around.

Why not do it yourself? If you don't know how, we can explain. It is one of, if not THE, easiest service you can perform on a vehicle (well, most vehicles). Plus, you have piece of mind knowing it was done correctly using the oil and filter YOU want to use.

dohvb1
05/07/2004, 09:29 AM
A few years ago, my wife took her Mitsu Galant to Valvoline for an oil change. a couple miles down the road it started having issues with slipping out of gear and shifting extremly hard, it was an automatic mind you. We took it to the dealership and told them the problem and that we just got the oil changed in it. They kinda laughed. Said they have had a couple calls with the same problem. Apparently the oil drain plug and the trans fluid plug are right next to each other. So the trans was drained AND the put an additional 4 or 5 quarts(whatever it was) into an engine that still was full of oil.

After Valvoline sent one of their "mechanics" to verify the problem they agreed to pay for everything, tranny rebuild, rental car, oil change etc...

I've tried to avoid the quick lube places since then.

t2p
05/07/2004, 09:54 AM
do it yourself ...... I try .... my intentions are admirable ....... but generally fall short ......
my attempts to perform (all) oil changes usually end during the winter months ...... when there is a prolonged cold spell ...........
I just don't like the idea of getting under a car to change the oil when it is +10 degrees .........
dohvb: I'm surprised the Mitsu had a trans drain plug ..... they are rare - and your expericence is probably the major reason they are rare ...........

Teckhardt
05/07/2004, 06:31 PM
I do change my own oil. I only went to the dealer because it was the 37.5 service and I wanted to have a record of a dealer service.

I have all but given up on ever being able to have a warranty claim (if I had one) anyway, so my point was that I will not even go back to the dealer for any service from now on.

Dallas4u
05/08/2004, 08:20 AM
Again, try doing as much as possible yourself.

coachreed
05/08/2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Dallas4u
Again, try doing as much as possible yourself.

I did my own oil changes and when my motor quit the dealer told me to take a hike due to lack of records... so I can understand wanting to create a paper-trail... but yeah its hard to trust ANYONE with your cars! I hope you never end up needing the records. TTYL!

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am) ;)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/406banner.jpg (http://www.geocities.com/ironmanvx2000)
Undergoing LS1 Conversion as we speak!
Click Image to Visit My Website!

joe-yamma
05/10/2004, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by t2p
although I recently talked to one Zu dealer service manager that informed me that the VX trans does not have a filter ..........
this trans has been in (Isuzu) service since (at least) 98 I believe (98 Trooper) .......... over six years ....... and they don't know there is a filter in the trans ........ ???
it wasn't Bowser was it? :eek: :confused:

visconte
05/10/2004, 09:11 AM
I changed the ATF fluid when I first got the car but due to time contstraints did not change the filter. What is the best method for changing the ATF filter? Thanks, vis

visconte
05/10/2004, 10:26 AM
on oil over-filling car was a quart over too when I first bought it. Being the suspicious type at first I was concerned that the dealer overfilled it to mask a blocked oil ring problem which leads to excessive oil consumption -- ie by overfilling takes longer to notice consumption. [yep suspicious type or maybe just paranoid! :] But after a couple thousand miles at right oil level the engine has not burned one drop of oil. ANYWAY I guess the question is: why do so many oil jockeys seem to overfill this car with oil?