PDA

View Full Version : Buying ... please advice

Michael S.
05/17/2004, 10:59 AM
Please don't let me die from temptation!

It's a 99 silver VX with just a bit less than 55K on it.
Seems like the warranty is transferable -- carfax shows that it is 60K mile.

The guy just agreed for 11K (was asking 12.5) and he got 33" bfg's installed with no lift and PIAA lights on the brush guard.

It's been taken off-road, _maybe_ abused, but my friend, who is Isuzu enthusiast and me, we can't find any damages except some scratches here and there...

I wonder what are the chances of engine going bad? It's almost all of my cache... so I'll have to bite the bullet for another year or so. It's 15-20K miles -- will it hold for this long?

Thanks,
Michael

Triathlete
05/17/2004, 11:14 AM
Was the previous owner a member of this board? 33's with no lift? They will probably rub if the suspension is flexed much. The engine issue is a crap shoot. It seems that you either get a good one or you don't. My 99 has seen a lot of off road use. If it is well taken care of that should not matter. Just check out all the known trouble areas and if all looks good...go for it. Its a VX...you won't regret it!;Dy;

t2p
05/17/2004, 11:24 AM
The Isuzu factory warranty will be expired when the title is transferred.

Michael S.
05/17/2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Triathlete
Was the previous owner a member of this board? 33's with no lift? They will probably rub if the suspension is flexed much. The engine issue is a crap shoot. It seems that you either get a good one or you don't. My 99 has seen a lot of off road use. If it is well taken care of that should not matter. Just check out all the known trouble areas and if all looks good...go for it. Its a VX...you won't regret it!;Dy;

He wasn't a member of the board, and yes it rubs, so I'll have to lift it. It looks like he painted the spots where it was rubbing...

What are the known trouble areas?

What you think about the price -- it is still higher than edmunds pp suggestion...

Thanks,
Michael

Triathlete
05/17/2004, 11:49 AM
Price is very good! As far as trouble areas search for info on:
windows
CD player
water leak
...someone help me out if I am missing any.

I have had no problems at all with mine except the windows and CD player (:smack: on wood)

AlaskaVX
05/17/2004, 01:34 PM
I don't know man.... 33's and no lift? Seems to me this guy just did whatever he felt like without putting much thought into it. Most likely this how he treated the car. It is a good deal, but you don't know what it has been through. I would ask for service records to see if he changed the oil religously or how he maintained it if he did. There are too many dumb people out there when it comes to maintenance. Hell a lot of people don't even change their oil ever! :eek: So be careful, check all the fluids and/or service records before you buy. One thing to make sure to check is the CV's 33" tires can kill them and thats an expensive repair.
Hope it turns out!
Alan

Kahuna
05/17/2004, 01:59 PM
On this board go to search. Put in words like "engine - tires-lifts-problems-99-mods", everything you ask can be found there. However, listen to the people on this board. Many are very educated when it comes to the VX.

As for the 33's. I don't see how. Something had to be modified. He had to of cut the cladding....alot!

Manu people in this forum have put large wheels and tires on thier VX. Look around in the gallery and Private message them (PM). Ask them wha they did.

Hey...good luck!

Michael S.
05/17/2004, 02:32 PM
Thank you all for replies!

I just figured that the tires are not 33 -- they look big, but they are only 31.5...

--
Michael