PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic Oil and the Oil Filter

jeffkics
05/20/2004, 06:17 AM
I am running Amsoil Full Synthetic Oil and I just wanted your opinions on what Brand/Type Oil Filter to use.

I will be changing the filter every 6 months. Oil every year. But lets not get into that, just what Filter to use please.

Thanks!

Andrey
05/20/2004, 10:41 AM
Mobile 1

BTW what is your ride now ?

Dallas4u
05/20/2004, 10:49 AM
Mobil 1 or Purolator PureOne... they seem to be rated the highest AND be somewhat cheap (I think the Mobil 1 filter is more than the Purolator, I have never price the PureOne).

The K&N filter is expensive and seems to be pricier because of the name. I have had one but usually buy the Mobil 1. I don't know where to buy the PureOne, but I may just for the heck of it next change.

omegavx
05/20/2004, 11:50 AM
Not sure on price comparison, but if your already using AMSOIL, as I am, why not just use their filter as well SDF-20. Thats unless your looking for a "cheap" alternative or somthing.

Dallas4u
05/20/2004, 12:27 PM
I don't think using the same make filter as oil is going to make the setup any better... it depends on the construction of the filter as to whether it is better or not.

I have used AMSoil oil and filters in the past and, to tell you the truth, I have gone back to Mobil 1 oil and (usually) Mobil 1 filters... Mobil 1 filters only because they are cheaper and as good or better. A "cheap" or "cheaper" alternative doesn't necessarily mean a "worse" option.

Joe_Black
05/20/2004, 01:58 PM
The Mobil-1 filter is part #M1-104.

Jolly Roger VX'er
05/20/2004, 01:58 PM
:fyi: I've found Mobil 1 SuperSyn Filters at AutoZone and Purolator PureOne Filters at Advantage Auto.

I've used both and generally bounce between the two depending on which store is closer when I need one. My experience has been that the Purolator filters were cheaper...something like $5.99 and the Mobil 1 filters something like $10

Just found this below using the search button:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Virus-VX
- Amsoil oil filters @ $10.45 each + $5.00 shipping

- Mobil1 oil filter - $12 ... OUCH! .... and as far as I know available only at AutoZone store (but I'm not sure. Maybe even somewhere else).

- K&N Performance Gold oil filter – from $8.99 and up.

- Purolator PureONE oil filter ~ $3 - $4 and available everywhere. Per Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) tests the PureONE is the top ranked filter among all leading brands.

How often do you change your filter? Paying that much per filter doesn't seem to make any sense. Like the debate about longevity of synthetics and then changing at 3k intervals, I can't see using a super filter and changing it at normal intervals either. If you are going long periods with it, that may be another story. I would say stick with one of the cheaper but good filters because the more expensive filter won't do any better than the cheap ones in this service cycle of 3,000-5000 miles. IMHO [/QUOTE

t2p
05/20/2004, 02:12 PM
What is the 'word' on the OEM Isuzu filter ?

omegavx
05/20/2004, 02:40 PM
I wasn't suggesting that the same brand oil and filter have any benefit, just that ordering it at the same time can just save alittle time. As for "cheap" I guess I should have said "cheaper". I wasn't saying that any other filter was better or worse then the SDF-20. Was just saying midas well get it while he's ordering unless he's looking for a "less expensive" alternative.

skunkworks
05/21/2004, 06:04 AM
Meijer sells the PureOne for $4.99 and every few weeks has them on sale $1 off

albert
________
vaporizer store (http://www.vaporshop.com/)