PDA

View Full Version : Gas Guage Gone Crazy

Jonnie
05/26/2004, 10:05 AM
After a recent fill up and the gas guage needle being in the right place, I drove about 60 miles and noticed the need seemed not to be in the right place- it was at the halft tank mark. Either I am leaking gas, or getting 5mph, or the guage is bad, or the sender is bad. I filled the tank and 4 gallons went in. I do not see any leaks. I have driven 50 miles and the needle is on the half way mark again?

What gives?

Jonathan

Navigator
05/26/2004, 10:21 AM
... 50 miles on 4 gallons sounds about right @ 12.5 MPG. Not sure why your needle shows it only half full, I'd have that checked if I were you :yes: Good news is your fuel economy is within reason. Modified anything recently?

AnalogVX
05/26/2004, 10:52 AM
My gas gauge acts all squirrley after I fill up. It bounces around erratically between 3/4 and full. May be just a matter of time before I am repalacing the sending unit. Try a search, there was a thread about this and you may come up with some other ideas.

newthings
05/26/2004, 12:49 PM
Mine is dead also. I am hiving it replaced.
2001 model with 31K mi.
Roy

joesvx
05/26/2004, 01:04 PM
Mine jumps all over too. From full to half.

SGT.BATGUANO
05/27/2004, 09:29 PM
I' ve been seeing senders on ebay. For rodeo's or something. There's probably faulty senders out there, but isuzu doesn't document or track them, similar to our window and wheel problems. See if your friendly dealer can be coerced into replacing it.

Moncha
05/29/2004, 12:33 PM
Mine was doing this also but, after the trip to Moab, it quit and is normal again.. Maybe just needs a little shaking up!

nater
05/29/2004, 08:15 PM
If you did, you might get a free sending unit.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/05/28/sulfur.gas.ap/index.html

Nate

Jonnie
06/01/2004, 10:30 AM
Well, time for an update.

No it was not a Shell station; it was Hess or Mobile.

I did hear about the gas problem in the news but the funny thing is that I have the reverse effect. My tank does not appear to still have gas, but show empty when I have gas.

I just refilled with a fresh tank and I am getting the same effect.

Guess I will have to drop the tank and replace the sender, ick.

Jonathan

Jonnie
06/01/2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by SGT.BATGUANO
...See if your friendly dealer can be coerced into replacing it.

I'm out of warranty so that's not an option for me. :(

Jonathan

Joe_Black
06/01/2004, 11:57 AM
Dropping the tank isn't that bad. I had to replace the fuel pump on one of my Troopers and it was an afternoon job. If you need a hand just let me know!

Jonnie
06/01/2004, 04:09 PM
Joe, that would be great! I'm about to do a round trip to PA for an air show, so I guess I will have to fillup on mileage. Otherwise I'll call AAA for gas! Would love to see your IM.

Jonathan

Jolly Roger VX'er
06/01/2004, 08:41 PM
Erie, Pa has experienced a rash of gas guage/electric fuel pump failures that has since been traced back to a refinery in Warren, PA as a direct result of too much Sulfer in the fuel.

USA Today mentioned that Louisville, KY has had a rash of gas guage malfunctions due to high Sulfer content in fuel. In some instances malfunctions were reversed by either filling tank with uncontaminated fuel or running injector cleaner. Some Cases in Canada have been mentioned as well.

Costs can exceed $400 to repair!

Fortunately, I've been buying my fuel for the VX from a station in Cambridge Springs that gets its fuel from Neville Island, PA near Pittsburgh. :p

Joe_Black
06/01/2004, 09:06 PM
I'll be sure to have the tranny all topped off and back together on the IM by the time you get back then! LOL! Just give a yell when you're ready and have a great trip.

Maverick
06/02/2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Jonnie
Joe, that would be great! I'm about to do a round trip to PA for an air show, so I guess I will have to fillup on mileage. Otherwise I'll call AAA for gas! Would love to see your IM.

Jonathan

same problem was reported on the news this morning here in west palm beach.. apparently 2 customers sued the petrol company for this..they are offering to cover repairs for other customers who have this issue as a result of their gas as well.. unfortunatly i didnt catch the name of the supplier.. if its on the evening news ill report back.. but it was a major player..

Jonnie
06/12/2004, 04:31 PM
Well, well, well. The fuel indicator is back to normal all it took was driving 1000 miles north to Reading, PA and back. Weird. Musta purged the bad gas with no perminate damage to the sender?

Saw a Proton wiz by while I was at a German restuarant near rt 10.

Jonathan

Joe_Black
06/12/2004, 06:21 PM
While you were gone there was some news about a Florida class action suit against Shell for bad gas ruining gas gauges. Check it out: Florida drivers sue Shell. (http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5172501)

AnalogVX
06/13/2004, 09:59 AM
I use Shell exclusively except the once in 2 weeks when I fill up near Iowa, then it's Mobile or BP Amoco. I wonder if what I am experiencing can be because of the gas as well? I'll stay away from Shell for the time being and see if anything changes.

Jorge Mujica
09/27/2005, 02:00 PM
Mine had the gauge problem recently for about 2 months and resoleved on its own. Mentioned it to dealer and as usual they said it was fine.

AlaskaVX
09/27/2005, 03:00 PM
My guage is off too and it will work for a few days and then go beserk then work etc, etc so keep an eye on it as it will not always work.