PDA

View Full Version : Head lights

tomcat837
05/27/2004, 07:16 AM
Hello team,

I am ready to purchase new headlight clear covers, but I haven't the slightest idea on how to take them apart or what is needed to put them back together, i.e. bonding compound, silicone, etc.

I would appreciate some assistance on how to accomplish this the easiest possible way, as I am sick and tired of looking at my lights all scratched up, nasty looking, way beyond that polishing compound I purchased.

Thank you,

Julio

Anita
05/27/2004, 09:35 AM
I know that Ron (vehicrossconcepts.com) has experimented with opening up the assembly but I think it was a mess doing it.

Triathlete
05/27/2004, 09:46 AM
From what I understand and believe I've read here you can buy just the clear covers. I think they are about $35 each. If you do a search you should find a write up here on taking them apart. It is not an easy project and requires boiling the assembly to get the glue loose. There was also a concern over what type of glue/epoxy to reattatch them with so that they would not leak. If you do replace yours, please take lots of pics and share your progress with the rest of us whos lenses have hazed! Its definately a lot cheaper to replace the lenses than it is to replace the assembly.

t2p
05/27/2004, 10:15 AM
There is a post - or posts - that describe the steps required to dis-assemble the headlight assembly ....... on this site - or the 'other' site ..... Club V Mag .... or whatever it was called.
I believe one procedure for removing the headlight lense involved soaking the headlight assy in hot water to 'soften' the adhesive that binds the lens to the assy ........
or something like that ..........
I may experiement with 1000 grit sandpaper and plastic polish ....... or is that plastic italian ............
I have used Novus (brand) plastic polish with great results on other applications ....... maybe it will work on the VX headlight lense ....

tomcat837
05/27/2004, 10:31 AM
I will research further for the process. I already got a quote from St Charles and they are only about 16 dollars a piece. Well worth the effort to change them ourselves, if you ask me. The "soaking process makes sense, now I have to find out what bonding compound to use to put them back together. If I succeed, I will post the process with pics for everyones benefit.

Julio

Kahuna
05/27/2004, 08:31 PM
Cant' wait to hear how it goes....as soon as you post, I think I'll go buy and do the same.

tomcat837
05/27/2004, 08:43 PM
I actually found the old post and I got some ideas. I am going to order the covers next week and begin the project. As soon as I can I will post the process with pics, but I still need to find out what kind of bonding compound I need to use to rebuild them.

Later.

SGT.BATGUANO
05/27/2004, 09:42 PM
Seal 'em with a thin strip at the outside edge, using clear or black silicone.

tomcat837
05/27/2004, 09:50 PM
When I looked at them they seem to have some kind of grey compaund, and a lot of it all around them. I don't know if regular white or black silicone would be as strong as the stuff they use at the factory. IT would have to be able to withstand extreme heat and cold conditions, weather conditions, and the test of time. I really wouldn't want to redo the silicone every few months or even every couple of years, and the one that is used seems to be very long term. I mean, if I have to boil it to remove it, it has to be pretty darn strong and durable, wouldn't you think?

LeglizHemp
05/27/2004, 10:02 PM
here's something i have wondered about......you know how the top of the headlite has that little horn that lites up yellow? i wonder if we can buy diff colored lites for there? or make brighter?

did i spend to long at the indy 500 track today or is that an idea?

btw....i was only VX there....lol

tomcat837
05/27/2004, 10:13 PM
I changed mine to blue, no problem. You can find green, blue, or red at WalMart or any auto parts store. It is a standard 194 marker bulb - 194B (blue), 194G (green), 194R (red), a couple of dolars at the most. You can even find LED bulbs for about 6 dollars if you want to go brighter.

I hope that helps.

Julio

LeglizHemp
05/27/2004, 10:15 PM
kool thanks man :>

SGT.BATGUANO
05/27/2004, 10:33 PM
Silicone or RTV will work. Make the bead wider if you want. I doubt you will find an exact replacement for factory adhesive as it may be some kind of hot-melt or catalyzed glue.

tomcat837
05/27/2004, 10:42 PM
That makes sense, I will research from what they have at the stores and select the best fit.

Dallas4u
05/27/2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by LeglizHemp
here's something i have wondered about......you know how the top of the headlite has that little horn that lites up yellow? i wonder if we can buy diff colored lites for there? or make brighter?

Guys, guys, GUYS... do a search on this issue. MANY of us have played with different types of bulbs in the horn area. I have tried too high a wattage and melted part of the housing... and I currently have 6 LED bulbs in there and like them.

There is plenty to be found when searched... PLENTY! :thumbup:

tomcat837
05/27/2004, 11:13 PM
6 LED bulbs???
I like to know how you made them all fit!

Dallas4u
05/28/2004, 12:04 AM
It's 6 LED bulbs per fitament. Check this auction to see what I mean:

Ebay auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2479910477&category=33713)

tomcat837
05/28/2004, 04:08 AM
Cool, I have seen these but did not know what they were...

Thanks

NC_VX
05/28/2004, 05:39 AM
PIAA W2 - replaces parking lights, part number 19224
PIAA T-6 - replaces dome light, part number 19223
PIAA 1917 - replaces Horn Lights above the main headlights

PIAA reference - http://www.piaa.com/Bulbs/Bulbs-Miniature.html
Place I bought them - http://www.lightningmotorsports.com/piaa_bulbs.htm

My head lights are the Sylvania SilverStar's 9003ST, I ended up just buying these at the local auto parts store.

Sylvania Reference - http://www.sylvania.com/auto/silverstar.htm

All of this set-up looks real nice and clean. If I remember this weekend I will snap a pic to show you the layout!!!

The PIAA's are really cheap and so are the headlights. I would run a search on replacing the headlight bulbs though, cause that can get real ugly!!!

tomcat837
06/17/2004, 10:59 AM
Well team, bad news. Ordered the clear headlight covers from St Charles and when the box came in it was just the gaskets. I spoke with them and they checked, but to no avail. Come to find out you cannot purchase just the covers, you have to get the assembly and you all know how much that is. So I guess I have to live with the scratches. Frankly, I am getting a little more than frustrating with a lot of it, and I am really considering selling my baby(as much as I love it).

Ta ta for now.

AlaskaVX
06/17/2004, 11:44 AM
Hey someone here got just the covers! I think it was ron but not positive! I'm pretty sure it's been done, some searching might bring it up. "headlight plastic"

tomcat837
06/17/2004, 12:09 PM
I heard that, but the guys at St Charles researched this for me extensively and couldn't find a way to sell them like that. Maybe someone else knows somethin they don't...

Julio

t2p
06/17/2004, 12:22 PM
.... forgive me if you replied to this question .......
all of you ....
don't want to get anyone too fired up if I am asking a question that has already been asked .......... or attempting to resurrect a topic that has already been covered ......
have you attempted to improve the appearance of the headlight covers with plastic polish .............. (or is it plastic italian ?) .......
maybe some 1000 grit paper ....... followed by Novus #2 polish will do the trick ........

Dallas4u
06/17/2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by t2p
...don't want to get anyone too fired up if I am asking a question that has already been asked .......... or attempting to resurrect a topic that has already been covered ......

;)

I think one or two people said they have 'wet sanded' the headlamp covers a bit and it worked well.

t2p
06/17/2004, 01:09 PM
.... not bad from a (former) 'hot dog' ........
but - where you a genuine (GENUWHINE) Chigago-Style Hot Dog ?

Dallas4u
06/17/2004, 01:13 PM
I think I was a Polska Kielbasa

Tyler
08/13/2004, 08:11 AM
I had the same trouble with St.Charles. When I ordered my "covers" I received just the gaskets. Got the same story about having to buy the whole assembly. So I deceided to try the sandpaper route instead of spending nearly 700 bucks on new lights. My covers were in horrible shape. I started with 1000 grit as someone suggested on this site. When I was done I tried rubbing compound and endend up looking worse. Then I tried 2000 grit. With alot of wet sanding and buffing the lenses look like new again. I put on the new gaskets I didnt even order to begin with and they look great. Just use 2000 grit, wet sand the piss out of it and then polish (will take a few applications) and be amazed.

majork
03/15/2005, 07:27 PM
Whats a good source for the headlight lens.....I use an acrylic polishing goop to try to refurbish the finish...off & on

But it only works to a point.....theres also an accumulation of pitting from grit and sand hitting the lens...cant polish that out

mbeach
03/16/2005, 05:27 AM
If anyone finds a place to get the covers:

Headlights are easily busted apart by warming in an oven at @250 degrees for 5-10 minutes.
Do a Google search for "clearing headlights" +"WRX" -we Subaru guys used to do this all of the time. I've done a few sets myself.
This method maintains the 'goo' that seals the lights, and no other sealant is necessary upon reassembly.

There are also numerous online tutorials for polishing the plastic lenses using basic buffing tools (wheels and compounds). If a 40 year-old muscle car's turn signal lenses can be brought back to life, than I figure that ours can't be too far beyond hope.