PDA

View Full Version : Well, it happened... BANG.

billh23
06/15/2004, 08:20 PM
I started the VX up on Monday morning to go to work, and it started rough, then made this horrible grinding noise.. then RAP RAP RAP RAP RAP RAP. I drove real slow thinking it was something was dragging or something.. nope. Pulled over by the gas station down the block, and checked under the hood. Nothing appeared wrong. Pulled the dipstick just to see if anything was unusual. nope.. maybe a bit low, but probably less then a half-quart. I bought a quart and put in a little more then half in. Restarted the engine and still.. RAP RAP RAP RAP RAP.. real loud now. I drove really really slow into work (I'm only 3 miles away). By the time I got to work it was louder. I called service and made an appt for the next day. I ended up having to drive it the 10 miles to the dealer.. noise getting worse and worse. By the time I got to the dealers door, it was a pretty loud RAP by now. I got a call about 3 hours after getting back to work. "You need a short block, a rod bearing went out and the piston rod is slipping". I have 52K miles on it, and have used semi-synthetic oil, and probably never went over 4K between changes. I am not the original owner, I bought it with 29K on it. The dealer is telling me its still covered under the original power train warranty, which is good -- but he is also telling me that Isuzu will only grant the OK to do the work on a case-by-case basis. I guess they need to look at your service records and then determine if they think it was mfg or customer fault. I have an extended warranty as well, but I gues it doesn't cover things that are already covered by the mfg warranty?? So I guess as it stands, I am waiting to hear back from Isuzu if they will let the dealership to the warranty work or not. I really hope I don't screwed, because it doesn't make a lot of sense why I should pay for a silly failure like this.. I mean, is replacing complete engines a 50,000 mile service item??

azskyrider
06/15/2004, 08:56 PM
Sorry to hear about that. Search for Engine failure. Coachreed and VX959 has had the same problem with 959 getting his engine replaced. They have detailed their experience on past threads. Coach decided to install an LS1 vette engine.

BTW Coach how's it going?

doubleadesign
06/15/2004, 09:05 PM
mine goes in on Monday after they told me a while back everything was fine. Now I'm going to have it towed in. It has 51+k on it. Maybe you can use this type of data to back your story up. I might need to. we both have the same problem at the same mileage. crap.

azskyrider
06/15/2004, 09:41 PM
BillH23,

If the dealer decides to change the engine it might not hurt to ask for the Direct Injection engine V6 from the New Isuzu SUVs.

Still a V6 but you get 250 HP and better MPG. The swap might be too troublesome for the dealer but worth a try in asking.

morgan-tec
06/15/2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by azskyrider
BillH23,

If the dealer decides to change the engine it might not hurt to ask for the Direct Injection engine V6 from the New Isuzu SUVs.

Still a V6 but you get 250 HP and better MPG. The swap might be too troublesome for the dealer but worth a try in asking.

Yea right you mean Isuzu actually doin something cool like that, sorry man but keep dreamin. I think he will be lucky to get the warrenty to cover it at all since Isuzu has become such ******** for any type of warrent work or any service for that matter. I love my Axiom but i will NEVER buy another Isuzu as long as i live.:mad:

jayfotos
06/15/2004, 10:21 PM
Wow, is this a common thing to happen? Now I'm a bit nervous....I got 34k on mine, about to drop a SC into it(knowing the warentee is void after the install).

So, how do you keep an eye on that?

morgan-tec
06/16/2004, 04:58 AM
Well its more a design flaw in our engines than anything, we have poor oiling. About the only thing you can do is stay up on your oil changes or if you get really ambitious you could have your crank cross drilled for better oiling and replace the bearings with something better.

visconte
06/16/2004, 08:15 AM
No engine is perfect and if a car is consistently pushed or abused who knows what will happen? Not saying you did that, but the car did have 29K on it when you bought it and unless you knew a detailed history any number of earlier issues can lead to a problem like that. Bottom line being that the 3.5 has a very good reputation for reliability when consistntly maintained.

visconte
06/16/2004, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by morgan-tec
Well its more a design flaw in our engines than anything, we have poor oiling. About the only thing you can do is stay up on your oil changes or if you get really ambitious you could have your crank cross drilled for better oiling and replace the bearings with something better.

Not sure I agree on the "poor oiling", earlier engines had a different design oil control ring but does this equate to poor oiling?

t2p
06/16/2004, 08:55 AM
Bottom line being that the 3.5 has a very good reputation for reliability when consistntly maintained.
I would change that to past tense ....... change 'has' to 'had' .....

Hanalei
06/16/2004, 08:59 AM
I have 37K on mine (2001 Proton) and when I brought it to Isuzu for new rear shocks, they told me that I was still under warranty (also have an extended for down the road) but because I'm the 2nd owner, the powertrain warranty is void. I never heard of that. The extended plan I have covers the total vehicle so that's a gives a bit of comfort. Please let us know how you make out on the new engine.

t2p
06/16/2004, 09:10 AM
The Isuzu Powertrain warranty was 10yrs/120k for the original owner (on a 2001 VX).
The Isuzu Powertrain warranty is 'then halved' for the subsequent owner - 5yrs/60k.
I received this information from Isuzu - called them via the US 800 number.

I believe the warranty is set to expire based on the 'service date' - the date the vehicle was put into service. Isuzu can provide you with this date.

transio
06/16/2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by t2p
The Isuzu Powertrain warranty was 10yrs/120k for the original owner (on a 2001 VX). Are you saying it's non-transferable?! I got my VX used. Am I not covered?

AlaskaVX
06/16/2004, 11:22 AM
transio- you are a subsequent owner see line 2

Originally posted by jayfotos Wow, is this a common thing to happen? Now I'm a bit nervous....I got 34k on mine, about to drop a SC into it(knowing the warentee is void after the install).
Ya know it's funny, but I don't think any S/Ced VX's have had any engine problems. Does the SCer replace the "oil drain rings" that are known to be bad? Only things you can do is to check your oil often (around every 1,000 miles) and replace your PCV valve which seems to be what makes the oil burn.

I put the S/C on right around 40,000 miles and am now over the 60,000 mile mark- 0 problems. I am a pretty abusive driver also, drag racing, offroading, creek crossing, etc.

Green Dragon
06/16/2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by AlaskaVX
transio- you are a subsequent owner see line 2

Ya know it's funny, but I don't think any S/Ced VX's have had any engine problems. Does the SCer replace the "oil drain rings" that are known to be bad? Only things you can do is to check your oil often (around every 1,000 miles) and replace your PCV valve which seems to be what makes the oil burn.

I put the S/C on right around 40,000 miles and am now over the 60,000 mile mark- 0 problems. I am a pretty abusive driver also, drag racing, offroading, creek crossing, etc.

Another point of view:

"Engine has a SERIOUS design flaw. There is a service bulletin out on how to test the engine in case of oil consumption. What Isuzu doesn't tell you is that the engine design tightened up the piston ring tolerances to the point that the piston rings can become locked into the piston and allow oil to get into the combustion chamber, thus burning oil without the owner knowing. When this happens, oil consumption can increase to 1 qt every 800 miles.

The vehicle was due for an oil change and the "check oil" light came on. There was no oil on the dipstick. Immediately after the oil was changed the very next day, a "tick" and a "knock" were now in evidence. Prognosis is the tick is a lifter and the knock is a main or connecting rod bearing. Cheapest quote for repair is $4400 for a motor and $1500 labor."

Isuzu recommends ck oil every other gas fill up which equates to about every 600 miles, I find that intolerable, as that kind of oil consumption would certainly indicate a manufacturers defect.
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/isuzu_engine.html

Time for a class action law suit.

Bob F

t2p
06/16/2004, 12:59 PM
AlaskaVX:

I hear you.
The ones that run their VX's hard appear to suffer no problems. They 'run the heck out of them' .......... dyno runs, drag strip, stadium monster truck courses, auto-cross, rally-cross, street race, up impossible looking cliffs ................. no problems.
And then there are some that putt around and throw rod bearings.
Go figure.
I'm getting worried ....... I wonder if my VX was driven hard enough before I purchased it. Where is that gas pedal ? ............ MASH !!!
Oil control rings ............ are a ring on the piston ........ probably the top or bottom ring on the piston ............. there could be an issue with the placement on the piston - too high or low .......... could be the material - steel instead of iron ............. could be the ring 'fit' - fit of the ring in the land (groove) ............. piston ring too 'tight' ............... could be none of the above - 'urban myth' ..............
one theory I read on a site that discussed a Trooper engine failure was that the ring fit on the piston was too tight ............. especially could become a problem when the engine was subjected to a large amount of low rpm operation......... and/or infrequent oil changes .......... causing 'buildup' to occur and the ring to 'stick' ........... again, just one persons theory .............,

visconte
06/16/2004, 01:05 PM
Wow we have been over this can of worms/oil control ring thing time and time again! Why flog a dead horse?

And unless you are an attorney initiating the action class actions don't benefit litigants much so if you want to sue Isuzu on this file an individual case on contingency - and good luck!

Dallas4u
06/16/2004, 01:08 PM
Hey, if MY VX started having engine problems, I'd come on here and start spouting off about it, too. Jeez... give a guy a freakin break. :rolleyes:

t2p
06/16/2004, 01:12 PM
I believe the 'dead horse is being flogged' ....... again ...........
because a number of people with a low mileage 30K automobile have experienced an engine failure with a subsequent $5000 repair bill.
Or something like that.

visconte
06/16/2004, 01:26 PM
calling for a class action on this several months ago. There is another long long LONG thread about this called VX gone 'bye bye in this forum - you posted in that one too right? Guessing a good idea for everyone to follow the preventive advice in that thread. But the 3.5L having a common generic engine failure problem is a misnomer. If it happens moan all you like but moan to Isuzu and ask them to give you a break.

azskyrider
06/16/2004, 01:47 PM
Good thing about posting on this board about this kind of problem is that the unfortunate owner can show some information that this is some what common by providing posts. Won't hold much but worth a try.

Now if you could prove it by providing VIN numbers of those VX's effected then that will help prove a solid case.

Maybe there should be a special section where owners who have had their engine grenade can post their vin # for tracking purposes.

yal^
06/16/2004, 04:32 PM
visconte: as I see you have no problem with articulating your thoughts, I would love to see your reaction to possible engine failure in your VX. Dallas has a point, not just in this thread - let go.

We need to know these type problems, every single one of them, to see if there is a pattern, if there is something that can prevent us from seeing a bill for $6k.
My VX has almost 37000 miles on the odo. I am watching it very closely. For couple of weeks I experienced a major loss of power, and a grinding noise between third and fourth gear, between 2000 and 2500 rpm. I thought it was my tranny. It turned out my fuel injector system was clogged really badly. Regardless, I was so scared about my engine and tranny I spent some time reading the board closely, and was able to discuss thoroughly any possibilities with my mechanic. I was able to tell him where to look and what to check, and get exact answers from him. That saved me from major heart attack.

Good lesson is learned lesson. If it takes for someone to repeat the info for the fifth time, I'll be glad to read it again. Maybe that fifth time will bring something that I might've overlooked the first four times. Thx you guys.

Daver
06/16/2004, 05:06 PM
My car drinks oil. It's accepted. Manuf says up to 1 litre/1000 miles worth of consumption is "normal".

And the best part is the Castrol 10W-60 synth for the car costs $9/litre at the cheapest place, up to $13 if you're in a jam.

-Daver

billh23
06/16/2004, 05:25 PM
I'm in the midst of working with the dealer now.. just provided my service records, and for good measure wrote a note explaining how I care for the car and that I am the second owner. To whomever said you can't prove what the original owner did, I can.. mine was off lease, and I called the the dealership where the lease was from. I got service records from Jan 2001 (I'm assuming thats when they bought it new) and fortunately, they had all of the oil changes done at the dealership..so I have all of them documented.

As much as I like my vehicle, it is completely unacceptable to have a car that blows an engine at 50K. To those who are saying it isn't, wait until you have a 5-year car loan and within the first year you have to start dealing with a $5K problem that your extended warranty won't cover, and the dealership is waivering on.

I'm fairly certain that after I get it fixed (if its covered), I will probably trade or sell it for another car and give it to my wife, and I'll continue to drive our Honda (which funny enough has 61K miles on it, and we've spent about $9 on.. a headlight bulb).

I will say though, that the Honda isn't as much fun to drive.. but at least its not blowing an engine or using 5 quarts of oil between oil changes like others are experiencing.

Joe_Black
06/16/2004, 06:35 PM
Your frustration and disappointment is fully understandable. I've owned Isuzus for 20 years and haven't ever had a major problem, but that doesn't mean failures don't happen. That's just another unfortunate by-product of mass production. And it's probably soured you to Isuzu.

Hopefully you'll make out well on the repairs and sucessfully complete the changes in your auto lineup that works best for your family. You'll be a part of the VX family as long as you want to be and your VX will find a new home that most certainly will appreciate the care you've given it and all the documentation as well. ;Do;

t2p
06/17/2004, 06:18 AM
billh23:
Bummer for sure. But attempt to be optimistic ...... relax ...... you are starting to sound like I do at times ......
I'm sure ..... just about sure that is ..... that you will be 'covered' - by Isuzu - or at the least, your extended warranty. Isuzu should cover this - but if they don't, I do not understand why the extended warranty would not cover it ..... what good is the extended warranty then ? ..........
The good news is - that after this issue has been resolved - you will have a VX with a new engine - or shortblock. Plus, the new engine/shortblock/whatever should have a warranty .... and/or your extended warranty should still be in effect.
A VX with a 'new' engine ....... ??? Sounds good to me. Why get rid of it ?
btw: I have driven Hondas since the early 80's ... had at least one in the driveway since then ... they are great automobiles - but they have not produced anything like the VX .......

doubleadesign
06/17/2004, 09:49 AM
she just got towed today. i should get word from the dealer soon. I have an extended warranty also but they said that they need to assesss the problem and then let me know if Isuzu will cover it. So, I'm nervous too. I wondering WTF kind of warranty I have that won't cover a problem that is listed as covered. I know I might have to dig up all the records but since it has always been a write off you can damn well be sure I have everything somewhere and can pull a simple spread from Quickbooks.

VehiP&J
06/17/2004, 01:56 PM
damn i am nervous. I drive my vx everyday love it to death but, it has hit 50,000 and some change miles. Oil gets changed every 3 thousand miles but, I have only had it since it was at 46,000 miles. So... I am very nervous about this.

Anita
06/17/2004, 02:11 PM
Since we dont have a crystal ball to look into the past (if we are the second/third owner) or the future, preventative care should be the foremost concern.

Schedule change of oil.. I go every 3000 religiously since I bought her new). Checking that oil stick in between oil changes. I keep a real close maintenance eye at the PCV and EGR and perhaps the MAF.

For the good of the members, is there anything else that should be included?

Dallas4u
06/17/2004, 02:18 PM
I just change my PCV valve every other oil change. It's just too cheap to forget about!

VehiP&J
06/17/2004, 02:33 PM
PCV valve is being changed tonight, oildoes get changed every 3,000. But still It will allways be in the back of my head. Don't get me wrong it is not going to stop me from buying another vx (or at least i doubt it will stop me) when i get rid of the car i am selling now. That will make 2 VX's in the driveway;Db;

Joe_Black
06/17/2004, 02:35 PM
VERY good advice Dallas! With 2 VX's and an '01 Trooper to take care of I just buy every PCV on the rack (usually only 4 or 5 those stingy bastards!) so I have 'em on hand. All 3 recently came due for oil changes at the same time, talk about planetary alignment! 15 quarts Mobil-1, 3 Mobil-1 filters, 3 PCV valves... Visa, it's everywhere you need to be lubed!;pg; I do love those 5-quart Mobil-1 jugs at Wal-Mart! Perfect for the 3.5L owner!

Really though folks, Isuzu is known for their exceptional build quality and longevity. The IronMan I just purchased a few months ago had 99,500 miles on it and I didn't even blink at flying out to Houston and driving it 1200 miles back to Florida. With the exception of the Dragon and '01 Trooper every Isuzu I've owned had close to 200,000 miles before I got something else. Maintenance problems? Sure, a few: water pump, bad battery, starter, fuel pump, head gasket, AC drier... all spread out over the vehicles over the years. Normal stuff.

It's truly unfortunate some of our family have had the issues they've encountered, probably due to some material defect as Isuzus are typically very resilient even to poor maintenance. Considering the 3.5 V6 is used in several years worth of the Trooper, Axiom and others, the percentage of failure is pretty low for a mass-produced item. Take care of what you've got and be supportive of our stricken family members.:yesg:

visconte
06/18/2004, 07:56 AM
My Gran always said you can worry and fret but why do it? They might say your engine is gonna fail but the sky could fall too - don't let them in flame you as anita say, life is too good and short and the engine is too good too.

Meanwhile life is too short to worry about these things, for those who are SO excited and upset that their crank is gonna fail just sit back, have a smoke or a drink to relax or whatever, watch a good movie [Dr Strangelove highly recommend] play with the cat or the kids but don't let 'em rile you! :) If you wanna get mad get mad at Isuzu or get an atorney - just do something POSITIVE there is waaaaaay to much negativism not productive channeled!

Dallas4u
06/18/2004, 08:09 AM
Hey Vis... I actually agree (to a point)! Wow...

All you can do is do what you do. :D By that I mean, change the oil using documented maintenance scheduling. Change the PCV valve often. Doing the normal service items on schedule or before schedule... if it is going to happen, it is going to happen.

Luckily most of us owners don't have any problems to speak of.

billh23
06/18/2004, 01:38 PM
Sweet! I just got a call from the dealership, they are going to cover the repair fully! On top of all of that, they had most of the parts in stock, so they are going to start the work immediately and I should have my truck back by Tuesday! I guess I'm pretty excited, it should be sweet to have a brand new engine. I hope whatever defect they originally had, got fixed in this new block. Thanks for the encourgement guys! It's still to be determined what the long-term plan for the VX is, but for now its going to be back on the road!!

PS -- the dealership is Lupient Isuzu in Golden Valley MN. THey have been wonderful to deal with.. much nicer then any of the domestic dealerships I've dealt with in the past.

doubleadesign
06/18/2004, 04:45 PM
I need to get my paper work in order. receipts and such. though they seem to keep forgetting I have an extended warranty on top of whatever Isuzu warranty there may be left. Also, the tone of the voice changed when they realizzed I bought the vehicle there and they put on the first few thousand miles. I plan on having the same news about my engine. Yeah!

billh23
06/19/2004, 11:42 AM
Read your extended warranty closely! Mine doesn't cover me until the factory warranty expires.. meaning, anything covered under my powertrain warranty isn't protected by my extended warranty until it runs out (6/60,000).

Lease-V-cross
06/21/2004, 05:15 AM
Now I'm biting my fingernails!
My is running fine (knock on wood) and I'm currently at 54,000. I still have full warranty coverage til the end of my lease, but who knows if something like that would be covered.
I guess to be safe, I shouldn't take it off-road anymore, huh?

That's like putting a Eagle in a cage!

Green Dragon
06/21/2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Lease-V-cross

I guess to be safe, I shouldn't take it off-road anymore, huh?

That's like putting a Eagle in a cage!

What has being off- road to do with it?

Bob

Triathlete
06/21/2004, 02:48 PM
What has being off- road to do with it?

I agree with Bob! The engine has no way of determining the difference between dirt or pavement. If its running, its running. My VX sees plenty of off road use and has over 75,000 problem free mile on its odometer. (Knock on wood :smack: )

doubleadesign
06/21/2004, 03:25 PM
so far so good. The new engine is on it's way. Still getting my paperwork in order. They said they'd like to get it back to me on friday!!!! it was the first valve that malfunctioned. I'll get the whole lowdown tomorrow.

Chopper
06/21/2004, 04:49 PM
They are'nt supplying this engine "Pro Rata"? Suprising that you get a new heart, without consideration for the milage on the old one. Irration and inconvienience factor? Good for you brother... Good luck with the transplant!!!!!

billh23
06/22/2004, 08:54 AM
You're getting a new engine because a valve malfunctioned? I'm surprised they didn't do a valve job or at the most swap out the heads.

t2p
06/22/2004, 09:37 AM
???
maybe 'first valve' referred to 'first cylinder' .....
#1 cylinder ......... #1 cylinder rod bearing .......... ???

doubleadesign
06/22/2004, 11:25 AM
Sorry. First cylinder blew. the bearings were shot. I stopped by this morning to get my free rental. They were taking the engine out when I came by. It's weird and kinda cool at the same time. I kinda wish I could watch the whole process like students watch surgery in progress. New engines run about 7 grand so I'm glad it was covered (surprisingly under the origional warranty). my extended warranty kicked in for the rental. the old one will go back to Isuzu for testing. I wish I could tag along for that too! FYI I was told the new engine will only be covered by the origional warranties. So, I'm not getting a new one for this engine. If you had a day left that's all it would be covered for. that sucks.

Triathlete
06/22/2004, 12:12 PM
Sounds like your dealer is taking good care of you! Wish I had a local dealer like that. Keep us informed.

Anita
06/22/2004, 12:54 PM
I was told the new engine will only be covered by the origional warranties. So, I'm not getting a new one for this engine. If you had a day left that's all it would be covered for. that sucks.

That does not sound right. I always understood that new parts were guaranteed for a period of time. Anyone else heard this?

billh23
06/22/2004, 01:29 PM
my dealer is telling me the new engine + work will be covered for 2 years/24,000.

t2p
06/22/2004, 02:03 PM
.... speaking of new engines .........
how do you prime the oil pump / system on a 'new' late model engine ? .......... when the engine has no distributor ?
it was relatively easy when an engine had a distributor - you inserted a 'dummy' distributor shaft attached to a drill and primed the oil pump ...........

SGT.BATGUANO
06/23/2004, 07:46 PM
You might try removing the cam sensor and see if it engages the oil pump drive shaft. It replaces the distributor on many newer engines. Only problem is maintaining the correct alignment when you put it back in. You have to bring the engine to true zero degrees TDC and take a resistance reading on the sensor to set it correctly.

billh23
06/23/2004, 09:13 PM
Well I got my truck back today! Suprise #1 is they installed a long-block instead of the short-block, so I got almost a complete new engine under the hood. They even had to recharge the a/c when they took it apart, so I'm excited! I need new brakes and tires, then she is probably as good as new or better!

The #2 surprise was, the new engine and work isn't covered by any warranty other then the remainder of the factory warranty. This would be bad news if I hadn't bought the exteneded warranty when I did.

I'm pumped up and happy to start driving the VX again!

Any suggestions on breaking in the engine? I want to run synthetic oil, but is it a good idea to get the first change with it, or should i run regular old oil for the first few? I'm planning on getting the first oil change at 1000 miles. Good idea? Last but not least, the service guy told me this all could have been avoided by changing the PCV valve at every other oil change.

SGT.BATGUANO
06/23/2004, 09:45 PM
Some folks say abuse it from the start and sometimes it seems to make the engine quicker, or blow it up.

Personally I'd keep it 55 or under for the first 500, 65 for the next 500 . Let it run for a couple minutes after each startup, before driving.

When does the dealer recommend the 1st oil change?

The engine that came with the truck was supposedly already broken-in, but with this one you want to be sure the rings seat properly, so go with what the mechanic says.

As for the pcv info: Why don't they send that info to us all?

doubleadesign
06/23/2004, 09:56 PM
i'm pretty sure i'm getting a "long block". i called to ask about replacing the timing chain and water pump that has 51K on it. he said not to worry about the chain, it ws a "bolt on" engine. So i took that to mean a lot was being replaced. I'm all ears for Bill's advice. I got the same answer about the warranty.

2 days....2 more long days.....

t2p
06/24/2004, 07:00 AM
Any suggestions on breaking in the engine? I want to run synthetic oil, but is it a good idea to get the first change with it, or should i run regular old oil for the first few? I'm planning on getting the first oil change at 1000 miles. Good idea? Last but not least, the service guy told me this all could have been avoided by changing the PCV valve at every other oil change.
I'm probably un-informed .... ill-informed ..... mis-informed ........
but I would probably 'break in' the engine using conventional or semi-synthetic oil for the first 'so many' miles .. ...... 1000 ...... 3000 ....... 5000 ..... ??? ...... until the switch to full synthetic. It is probably some urban legend or wives tale about not breaking in an engine with full synthetic, but there may be something to it ....... ???
The one thing I would avoid with a new engine is sustained speeds at the same (constant) rpm ......... prolonged highway driving is probably not the best way to break in a new engine ....... not the best way to 'seat' the rings ..... or something like that ..... maybe this is also mis-information ........ ???
The 'PCV thing' with this engine .......... is ...... perplexing ??? .......
I can not remember an engine that needed PCV valve changes (like this) since the late 60's and 70's .......... ???

XvX
06/24/2004, 07:28 AM
My engine blew at 54k miles, and was covered by warranty. They wanted to give me a runaround, but eventually put in a short block. It worked fine after that for the couple months I had it before I traded it off. I never trusted it again. That #1 cylinder is a known issue, and it should never be a hassle to get it fixed, but the dealers and manufacturer just seem to like making the customers jump through the hoops. Mine was a 99, btw.

doubleadesign
06/25/2004, 10:17 PM
ok the dealer says oil change at 1,000 miles. keep it under 60. OK to go for synthetic right off the bat. thumbs up all around in the shop. suggested AMSoil if i could afford it buy stick with mobil or castrol. AMSoil runs about $15 a quart but you can do your oil change once a year. highly recomended since he says he races his cars "dry". bo cooling system. but since i need to change it every 3k for warranty purposes it'd be ok to use the others. it will take me about a month to rack up those miles, maybe longer. what a test of fortatude.

t2p
06/28/2004, 10:18 AM
I need new brakes and tires, then she is probably as good as new or better!
billh23:
Tires: If you are on a budget, look into the Mastercraft Courser HTR Plus - 255-55-18. Manufactured by Cooper. Decent tire at a decent price. I have them on my VX. Don't have alot of miles on them, but previous experience with these (and Cooper) has been positive.
t2p

Dallas4u
06/28/2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by doubleadesign
ok the dealer says oil change at 1,000 miles. keep it under 60. OK to go for synthetic right off the bat. thumbs up all around in the shop. suggested AMSoil if i could afford it buy stick with mobil or castrol. AMSoil runs about $15 a quart but you can do your oil change once a year. highly recomended since he says he races his cars "dry". bo cooling system. but since i need to change it every 3k for warranty purposes it'd be ok to use the others. it will take me about a month to rack up those miles, maybe longer. what a test of fortatude.

This is funny... a person in the service department telling someone that just had their engine replaced that, if they use AMSoil, they would usually only need to change their oil once a year? Hilarious and completely and utterly wrong! Would ANYONE seriously go 15k miles on one single oil change?

I know because of new enigne warranty reasons that you have to change it every 3k miles, which is definitely encouraged, but can you imagine someone actually believing this guy... changing their oil once in a year, then bringing it back with a problem?

"Eh, the service manager said if I use AMSoil I only need to change my oil once a year. Yeah, I went around 20k this year and changed it in June... so why do I hear scraping in the engine compartment all the time??? What? You say it's my fault? Well, your service manager SAID I didn't have to change it but once a year... so why do I have to pay ANOTHER $5k for ANOTHER engine?"

doubleadesign
06/28/2004, 11:05 AM
he was just telling me about the best stuff you can buy. A friend of his hadn't changed his oil in 3 years using this stuff. Too crazy for me to believe or understand. but, he did end the conversation by stating that if I went this route I'd still have to change it ever 3K miles in order to preserve my warratny. So, I plan on using the stuff at the Oil Lube places every 3K miles, like castrol or mobil. Which are a step below this AMSoil. I wouldn't want to spend nearly $100 every 3K anyway.

Mr. I-MAN
06/28/2004, 11:07 AM
where did you take it for the servicing?

Mr. I-MAN
06/28/2004, 11:08 AM
royal purple is 67.00 a case

doubleadesign
06/28/2004, 11:12 AM
Rob Paddor's Evanston Isuzu. Actually, just do a google for rob paddor and the dealership will come up. they were quicker than i expected but they should have caught it the first time i brought it in.

How's you baby doin' Mr.Iman?

t2p
06/28/2004, 11:47 AM
he was just telling me about the best stuff you can buy
Amsoil does show up on just about every chart or test on top .....
but I'm still a Mobil 1 type .... if Mobil 1 was/is good enough for the Honda F1 teams, it is good enough for me .....
or something like that !

Dallas4u
06/28/2004, 12:08 PM
Slow down there...

Hey, I'm just saying it would be a bad idea. This statement coming from someone in an auto service department is definitely interesting. If an every-day-Joe that didn't know much about cars, and decided to start doing his own oil changes, heard this he may try it. It may not yield the best circumstances.

AMSoil being "the best stuff you can buy" is somewhat opinion, somewhat fact. I've used AMSoil in the past and, although it is a great motor oil, Mobil 1 (in my opinion), including all factors, is just as good. I wouldn't run either for more than 6k-7k miles in a consumer vehicle, though... that is MY opinion. ;)

jeffkics
06/28/2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Dallas4u
This is funny... a person in the service department telling someone that just had their engine replaced that, if they use AMSoil, they would usually only need to change their oil once a year? Hilarious and completely and utterly wrong! Would ANYONE seriously go 15k miles on one single oil change?

I know because of new enigne warranty reasons that you have to change it every 3k miles, which is definitely encouraged, but can you imagine someone actually believing this guy... changing their oil once in a year, then bringing it back with a problem?

"Eh, the service manager said if I use AMSoil I only need to change my oil once a year. Yeah, I went around 20k this year and changed it in June... so why do I hear scraping in the engine compartment all the time??? What? You say it's my fault? Well, your service manager SAID I didn't have to change it but once a year... so why do I have to pay ANOTHER $5k for ANOTHER engine?"

http://www.amsoil.com/products/tso.html

SERVICE LIFE

In personal cars and light-duty trucks with non-turbocharged gasoline engines: change the oil at 35,000-mile or one-year intervals, whichever comes first

I've got 12k miles on mine in 6 months, no sign of color change, or burn off. Oil Analysis was done on a sample and it is still well within the limits. it's not 1950 anymore.

8 bucks a quart.

Dallas4u
06/28/2004, 12:36 PM
That's great. Hey, it's up to you on your oil change interval. Again, and ESPECIALLY on a car under warranty (not that yours is or isn't), I wouldn't go that long with changing the oil.

mrtew
06/28/2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Dallas4u
I know because of new engine warranty reasons that you have to change it every 3k miles,

HUH??? What's this about chaning the oil every 3000 miles??? My owners manual says to change it every 8000 miles. What does yours say? Why would a warranty require you to change it more than the owner's manual recommends? I thought only car nuts that wash and wax their cars every weekend change the oil that often. Did you really mean that it's necessary for the warranty, or just that you can't possibly change the oil TOO often?

P.S. I love the new Avatar dude!

Dallas4u
06/28/2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by mrtew
HUH??? What's this about chaning the oil every 3000 miles??? Why would a warranty require you to change it more than the owner's manual recommends? Did you really mean that it's necessary for the warranty

Doubledesign has to change his oil every 3k miles because of warranty reasons regarding his BRAND NEW ENGINE (below).

...but since i need to change it every 3k for warranty purposes

But... I do change mine around 5k miles or 4 months, which ever comes first.

Mr. I-MAN
06/29/2004, 08:05 AM
actually mine is running fine except for the check engine light coming on every other week. Got new OEM blings. Going to put my sway bar disconnects on this weekend.

Jolly Roger VX'er
06/29/2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by mrtew
HUH??? What's this about chaning the oil every 3000 miles??? My owners manual says to change it every 8000 miles. What does yours say? Why would a warranty require you to change it more than the owner's manual recommends? I thought only car nuts that wash and wax their cars every weekend change the oil that often.

:o <-----Car nut! Also most oil change places give you a mileage and a TIME interval for oil changes....like 3,500 miles or 3 months...whichever comes first...

just my opinion...but since my VX is a pleasure vehicle and takes about 3 months to get 3,000 miles I've always changed it at this interval...my Fiero on the other hand is a work car and I change it about every 4 - 5,000 miles.

Also if you check your owners manual you will see that there is a severe usage section that says something to the effect of changing it in half the normal interval if you tow alot, do alot of stop and go driving (and I would throw in sustained high speed driving).

I also hate seeing dirty oil on my dipstick...so usually about 3,000 miles it looks noticably darker than when new where it is hard to see on the stick!

doubleadesign
06/29/2004, 08:29 PM
i hope i got one of the better gas milage ones. i just filed up so we'll see how long this tank lasts!

Jolly Roger VX'er
06/29/2004, 09:01 PM
i hope i got one of the better gas milage ones. i just filed up so we'll see how long this tank lasts!

Don't forget...that an engine breaking in will use more fuel due to the tight tolerances that haven't "worn-in" yet!

windsong
07/01/2004, 06:09 PM
HI--WHAT HAPPENED WITH GETTING YOUR NEW ENGINE? I'VE BEEN HAVING PROBLEMS WITH MINE ALSO BUT I HAVE ALMOST 100K ON HER BUT SHE MAKES A KNOCKING NOISE NOW & I DO HAVE AN EXTENDED WARRANTY BUT I REFUSE TO HAVE ISU WORK ON ANYTHING OF MINE AGAIN--THEY'RE ********-AND OF COURSE DON'T LIKE WARRANTY WORK APPARENTLY--THY'VE ALWAYS BEEN REAL HATEFUL TO ME--I LOVE MY TRUCKLETT BUT I'LL NEVER BUY ANOTHER ISU

doubleadesign
07/01/2004, 06:25 PM
i had my insurance pay for towing.
they told me to gather up my receipts for oil changes and service. i had about 90% of them. i had more than enough proof.
they ordered a new engine and it was done in less than a week.
i don't like dealers either but this was the best experience i've ever had. i braced myself for the worst. and i couldn't believe how nice they were and helpful. i'm still afraid to roll in on my 20's though. i change to my 16's for dealer visits.

transio
07/01/2004, 09:28 PM
doubladesign,

Do you change your own oil? Will changing your own oil void your warranty, or is that good enough for them if you show receipts?

doubleadesign
07/02/2004, 04:36 AM
but if you have receipts for the oil and filter you bought, that should be good enough. they just need to know it was changed and cared for on a regular basis and not neglected.