PDA

View Full Version : SC install not going to well....

jayfotos
06/18/2004, 02:31 PM
I stopped by the shop to give it a test ride, did'nt notice to much of a power increase, check engine light came on and water temp got way high(I think due to air bubble in coolant line)......the CHECK ENGINE light....I'm a bit nervous now.

Left it there to see if they can fix the problems.....:(

Cyrk
06/18/2004, 02:33 PM
Man that sucks... I'll keep my fingers crossed that it all works out aok.

azskyrider
06/18/2004, 04:25 PM
Sorry to hear about that. I always felt uncomfortable leaving my vehicles with a shop and when it comes time to pick it up you are already with the impression that they didn't do it right before even turning the key. Especially since they should have checked it out before giving your the call to come pick it up and taking your money. They are the experts.

I am sure this is not the case with the shop you went.

Don't worry Jay, I am sure they missed something small and will get it going real soon. Then you will be :cool:

Apex is where you went right?

SGT.BATGUANO
06/18/2004, 04:50 PM
not to cause concern, but...

I hope they didn't forget to put coolant in, belts on. or screw up the intake gaskets.

Re-read the install manual and double- check everything including all re-connects!

Dallas4u
06/18/2004, 04:57 PM
I know I shared this when I first got MY VX back from the shop after the SC install, but quickly here's what happened:

3 days go by, they tell me it's ready. I how up at about 5pm. They bring it out and the owner comes out with it. He asks if I want to take it for a test spin, him coming along with me (good thing he did), I say sure. We hop on the Dallas tollway, right along side the shop. I give it some gas on the on-ramp and don't feel any extra damn power what-so-ever. I tell him it doesn't feel any different, so he says to pull off, turn around, and go back to the shop. So, I pull to the off-ramp. We pull up to the light to turn left. I slow and almost come to a stop and the VX starts surging... surging forward, stopping, surging, stopping. I have to mash down on the brake pedal to keep from surging into the car in front of me. I tell him something is DEFINITELY WRONG! We take a left over the overpass, stay in the left lane to head back to the shop, come to a light.... SURGE!!!! We get back to the shop and he brings it back in to look at it. It wasn't until around 6:45 did they FINALLY notice that they had left a rubber cap off of a vaccum nipple behind the SC. As soon as they capped it they could tell it was running smooth. We gave it ONE more test drive and VA-VA-VOOOOM! I could feel the power in the freaking parking lot!

What does this tell you? Jeez, I dunno. I guess little things can seem bigger than they are. It could be something tiny that they just need to come across... OR, it could be something big that YOU caught in time and saved yourself and the shop and lot of grief and money. Let us know what you find out...

jayfotos
06/18/2004, 05:03 PM
As for the overheating, fixed....bubble in coolant line.

As for the check engine light, they have no idea....

They ran a systems check and came up with the code of 1404, he has no idea what that code means and called around to find out, no go, might have something by Monday from a Isuzu buddy of his.
The shop called Alpine for advice, they were not much help and said this was the first time a check engine light came on after a install and they had no idea.
The shop guy also said if the light goes on, not to worry could be nothing. I'm sorry if the light goes on, I'm nervous and very unhappy at this point.

Anyone know what the code for 1404 or 1440 is?

I came home and disconnected the battery to do a reset...we'll see what happens.

jayfotos
06/18/2004, 05:09 PM
As for preformance, it drives great. I hav'nt got on it to hard and did notice some pep, not enough for me to go "oh ****". But I'm scared to rip into it for there might be a problem.

I did notice when I took the first test drive I took it out on the highway and noticed that at 4500 rpm or so the rpm jumped back a bit...sound weird? I hav'nt been out on the highway yet after I got it back, plan to later when there is less traffic...we'll see what happens.....again.

autox-racer
06/18/2004, 05:23 PM
FYI autozone will check codes for free. Or at least they do in detroit. The box they used on mine a while ago showed a lean condition code.. because intake gaskets were leaking.

I am replacing my gaskets tomorrow and bolting down the SCer that just arrived yesterday.

jayfotos
06/18/2004, 05:29 PM
Do you know the code #?

Along with the install I put in new gaskets as well as o-rings.

jayfotos
06/18/2004, 06:31 PM
Ok, reconnected the battery.....no light. Went up the street and filled up on gas(91 oct, also added 108 boost) and made sure the cap went on nice and tight.

Drove home....no light.

Going to take it out tonight and see what happens, wish me luck.

Dallas4u
06/18/2004, 06:35 PM
How does it feel? Can you FEEL the extra power? Remember, it isn't going to feel like you would think throwing an SC on a Mustang GT would, or any other sports car.... but you will feel much extra power there. You can tell if you have this smart-***** grin on your face that you can't wipe off... :D

jayfotos
06/18/2004, 06:55 PM
I hav'nt really got on it yet, too much traffic. I'm taking it out tonight and we'll see what she does.

stay tuned.....I'll give a full report.

TDUB
06/18/2004, 07:23 PM
My SC decision is riding on your review. Spill your guts !!

jayfotos
06/18/2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by autox-racer
FYI autozone will check codes for free. Or at least they do in detroit. The box they used on mine a while ago showed a lean condition code.. because intake gaskets were leaking.

I am replacing my gaskets tomorrow and bolting down the SCer that just arrived yesterday.

If the light goes back on I'm off to AutoZone and see what #'s they come up with.

VX922
06/18/2004, 08:13 PM
code 1404 is "EGR Close Stuck"
code 1440 does not exist.
Check connector on the valve located right rear corner of the motor.

jayfotos
06/18/2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by VX922
code 1404 is "EGR Close Stuck"
code 1440 does not exist.
Check connector on the valve located right rear corner of the motor.

Ok, I'm kinda retarted....where is that?

VX922
06/18/2004, 08:43 PM
back of the engine, pas. side, it is black cylinder and connector sits on the top cannot miss it
good luck

jayfotos
06/19/2004, 10:23 AM
OK, here is a pic of the area your talking about....what am I checking for, a loose hose, wire connection, etc?

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/9011.jpg

Here are some other things I noticed, on the sc cone seems to have some sort of oil leak, is that normal?

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/9013.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/9012.jpg

VX922
06/19/2004, 11:19 AM
1 winshield wiper motor
2 EGR valve
3 cruise control

I dont know about the oil leak, ask the SC manufacturer, it does not look right, maybe re-torque the bolts to specs.

Zu4two
06/19/2004, 07:54 PM
Jay,
Check the connection between the plug and the EGR solenoid (#2 in your picture). It's very likely that you might of had a bit of carbon jarred loose in the installation, that got stuck in the valve. I would wait and see if you throw another code (check engine light comes on). Good thing is that this malfunction does not put your engine in peril and is just an emission related failure.

As for the leakage, I think they all leak, some worse than others. Just ask Green Dragon, his leaves little puddles of oil on his engine.

You mentioned a flat spot at ~4500 RPM. I've noticed that also. I think the normal 3.5 engines have this flat spot as well, it's just more noticeable now that you've got all the extra acceleration everywhere else in the rev range.

Welcome to the supercharged family. Just remember don't try to race the cars with the colored light bars on the roof.

Dallas4u
06/19/2004, 08:10 PM
I'd like to quickly state that I have not seen any oil leakage from my SC.

Cyrk
06/19/2004, 08:42 PM
I too have not seen any oil leakage from my SC.

jayfotos
06/19/2004, 09:02 PM
Other things I'm noticing is.

I filled up(not all the way til the pump stops, but to the "F" on my guage) on 91 oct. gas with a 108 boost additive(still had a 1/4 tank of **** gas). My gas miledge SUCKS!, I'm at a little over 1/2 a tank now with 80 miles.

I did drive a little hard w/ac going at points, but could that be a sign of something wrong.

newthings
06/19/2004, 09:09 PM
I had oil collecting in the bolt groove on the nose after driving home from the instal. If you fill oil until it comes out of the plug hole, you have too much oil. Alpine did my installation and they added too much oil. The correct amount is 130 cc or ml. The level will be about 1/4" below the plug hole. I check the level with some dip stick every engine oil change, It has never dropped and no oil leaks.
Roy

VX922
06/20/2004, 08:42 AM
My gas miledge SUCKS!

The powertrain might be re-learning new parameters such long term fuel trim. On older non OBDII cars it took couple of fillups to re-learn new parameters. Keep octane number boost additive to necessary minimum.
This is when a good OBDII scanner comes handy.

jayfotos
06/23/2004, 06:10 PM
Brought my truck back in to get the CEL checked out and problem solved, there was a carbon build up on the EGR valve and needed to be cleaned out.

All is good.....for now.

Thanks to everyone that helped out, this forum is the shizzle!

I will be back to give a full report on my experience and my thoughts on the SC....hold tight.

Thanks again- Jay