PDA

View Full Version : Lift Question Please help

VXspaceship
07/06/2004, 09:52 PM
I am planning to do the 3" Spring lift convertion to my VX.

I already bought the OME912 Springs. I am also installing the Rancho 9000x shocks, which I already bought.

I have been checking several sites that offer lift kits, and found that they also include
1) 2" POLY COIL SPACER,
2) 4" BALL JOINT SPACERS,
3) 2" Bumpstop Extention
4) LOW PROFILE UPPER A-ARM BUMPSTOPS
5) REAR AXLE BRAKE LINE "T" EXTENSION

Are all these items really necessary?
The extensions are rather cheap, but the 2" Poly spacers are $100 and the 4" ball joint spacer is $45.

Let me know what you guys think. Should I also install all these extra items?
Will I get more than 3" lift?
Will I get better alignment and a smother ride?
These are statements that these sites claim.

I found these items in these sites:
http://www.independent4x.bigstep.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=839915%7C1016330&PRID=1247371

http://www.darlington-offroad.com/category.html?UCIDs=1031042

Kahuna
07/06/2004, 10:21 PM
First..do a search. The answers are there.

I'm waiting for my OME 912 springs to arrive. (Don't order throught Rocky Road off road in Colorado- say one day, then the next and so on. I've been waiting for weeks)

Anyhow, from what I have read here, you do not need all that stuff. However, Swordy did mention something about the Bumpstops. You may want to ask him.

Again, do a search..ALL the answers are there.

dstruction
07/06/2004, 10:34 PM
Hey, I just finished a 3 inch calmini suspension lift. It came with almost everything. For the ball joint I just fliped it from above the controll arm, to below it. With the suspension installed(and the torsion bars tightened) I have a gain of about4 inches in the front and 3.25 in the rear for a nice stance. I also have a 3 inch body lift to give the extra room for my 36 inch tires. As far as an allignment goes, I had to flip the ball joint before it could be done due to toe in. After the flip it was alligned perfectly. I hope that helps.

azskyrider
07/07/2004, 06:38 PM
dstruction.

Does the, 36" tires. Lift and 3' body lift make the VX feel unstable around town? Was it a trooper body lift?

Can you post pics?

Would 33x14.5 width tires fit easy with that setup?

Thanks,

BumbleV-X
07/07/2004, 06:56 PM
[/QUOTE]These are statements that these sites claim.

I found these items in these sites:
http://www.independent4x.bigstep.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=839915%7C1016330&PRID=1247371

http://www.darlington-offroad.com/category.html?UCIDs=1031042 [/B][/QUOTE]

Matt at independent 4x, and Joe Darlington of Darlington-offroad are both great people and wouldn't lead you astray. They would BOTH go out of their way to help you if you have any problems installing your lift. We've had the pleasure of meeting both of these great guys at Moab Zu's and would highly reccomend them.

Good luck on your lift

Deby

VXspaceship
07/07/2004, 07:42 PM
Hey,

Thanks to everyone for your responses. With your inputs and a search on "spring lift" I got most of my questions answered.

I think I'm just going to install my OME912s and do the ball joint flip. I will do buy the rear bump stop extensions since they are only $15

Although I am still not clear of the function of the 1/4" BALL JOINT SPACERS. Is this spacer used to alleviate pressure to the CV joints caused by the cranking of the torsion bars?

I will post pictures after I get the lift done and my new 33s on. Like someone said in another post. "Mods are addictive, you do one and you are hooked"
I have a long wish list......... reinforced torsion bars and tie rods, a pre-runner bar, and maybe a winch. It will take and lots of time and $$$ but some day it'll get done!

:D

AnalogVX
07/07/2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by VXspaceship
Hey,

Thanks to everyone for your responses. With your inputs and a search on "spring lift" I got most of my questions answered.

I think I'm just going to install my OME912s and do the ball joint flip. I will do buy the rear bump stop extensions since they are only $15

Although I am still not clear of the function of the 1/4" BALL JOINT SPACERS. Is this spacer used to alleviate pressure to the CV joints caused by the cranking of the torsion bars?

First off, let me say that I am not lifted.. but have done alot research and want to be lifted soon. It's a race, almost, between me and Nocturnal...right Gil?

What you posted is really all you need to do. The 1/4" ball joint spacers are just to get your alignment closer to spec.

nocturnalVX
07/07/2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by AnalogVX
It's a race, almost, between me and Nocturnal...right Gil?

:naughty: :goof: :evil: :rotate:

azskyrider
07/07/2004, 11:17 PM
Just an FYI...

There are some posts on sagging issues on the 912 calimini lift. Here is a LINK (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3125&highlight=919)

Some suggested 913 or 919.

Cheers,

dstruction
07/08/2004, 12:30 AM
vx sapceship, Hey. Sorry ot took so long to reply, too much work. Anyway, Last weekend I went off roading and beach riding. The only thing that I noticed with the lift and tires was the wheelie effect. I got pretty wild and had no problems with the side to side role. I seemed to loose a litle steering mobing up steep hills. I think 33 is the way to go. I had minor triming on the inside front cladding to fit the 36. I'll post pics when I figure out how, I haven't figured it out yet. (i'm not much of a computer guy. Later

AREA 51
07/08/2004, 06:04 AM
Just to clarify,

912's do not come with the calmini kit, "calmini" springs do.

The 912's have NOT been reported as having a sag problem. 912's are "OME" springs

yal^
07/08/2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by AnalogVX
First off, let me say that I am not lifted.. but have done alot research and want to be lifted soon. It's a race, almost, between me and Nocturnal...right Gil?

What you posted is really all you need to do. The 1/4" ball joint spacers are just to get your alignment closer to spec.

Loosers.... :supercool :evil:
LMAO