PDA

View Full Version : PowerVault PV2 Way Too Loud

transio
07/18/2004, 06:44 PM
Ok, it may add a few horsepower. It could add 50 hp for all I care and I still wouldn't want it! I just put it on today and it sounds like *****. It's like a ricer on steroids. My VX is now (with the aid of the PV2) by far the worst sounding automobile I've ever encountered. I honestly think it would sound better with NO muffler.

I spent all day fabricating a sweet Y splitter to come off the back of this thing so I could have dual tips and getting it mounted into place. Now I just want to toss it. I'm so pissed!!! I should have known it would sound awful just by looking at it. I guess I was hoping for too much.

I'm going to go tomorrow and get a new muffler and install it. Something that actually muffles, and isn't just an open tube. I really hate this thing that bad. Since I already spent my budget on it, I'm actually going to have to dip into my savings to do this!

If anyone wants to buy a PV2 that will slide in to your stock spot, and has a custom Y fabricated off the back, send me a PM. BE WARNED, THOUGH !!! This muffler doesn't muffle sh*t !! It's false advertising even calling it a muffler !!!

Tirade over. Flame away.

transio
07/18/2004, 06:45 PM
PS - anyone have any suggestions on what muffler I should get? I was thinking about a FlowMaster 50 series so I can get the dual tips with some nice resonance. Anyone have any experience w/ it?

MZ-N10
07/18/2004, 06:55 PM
have u tried it with the stock tip? i dont kno wat ur definition or rice is but mine doesnt sound bad, it is loud tho....
________
Park Royal 2 Condos Pattaya (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

redline
07/18/2004, 07:24 PM
I Sold my PV2 after my gf said it sounds like the hillbilly's car down the street .Installed a "Magnaflow" slightly quieter.I do miss the hypnotic bottle droning sound.

johnnyapollo
07/18/2004, 07:37 PM
My PV1 does not sound ricey at all. I think the PV2s are much louder - the first one I heard sounded like it had an exhaust/manifold leak. The tip does seem to make a difference.

-- John

Hotsauce
07/18/2004, 08:04 PM
I have a PV1, Its a little louder than stock, but not bad.

I've heard someones VX with the PV2 on it, and dual tips. VERY LOUD. I put a sneaker over one tip, and it quieted down some, but it was still way too loud for my taste.

John C.

transio
07/18/2004, 09:00 PM
This muffler sounds like it has a leak.

The muffler is fine, it just sounds like crap.

Anyhow, I'm gonna see what I can do tomorrow.

I didn't try it w/ stock parts because I cut them up and tossed them. I was planning to do the dual thing, remember?

Anyhow, if anyone wants this PV, let me know

SPAZZ
07/18/2004, 09:19 PM
I have a PV2 and it is great. If you use the stock tip it megaphones the sound and is not cool at all. The tip really makes all the difference in the world. I found a 10$ 3" tip at a flea market and it sounds ALOT better.

My PV2 is mounted directly in the middle of where stock muffler was...the guy welded pipe to each side to meet up with stock pipe. Plus the way you drive makes a big difference too...start out with just enough gas to not make the PV2 sound like tin cans slapping together. After awhile the sound will mellow abit...each PV is unique.

transio
07/18/2004, 09:29 PM
I have no tip on right now. It's just the muffler. I didn't bother putting tips on because it just sounds that bad. Why finish the thing when I'm gonna take it out tomorrow? Anyhow, I'll never like that sound. I'm just gonna get a Flowmaster 50 and be done with it.

omegavx
07/18/2004, 09:58 PM
If you dont have a tip on it, then that is probably why it sounds like *****. The tip makes a huge difference on the pv2. If your running a stock tip, it will be very loud, do to no restriction on air flow. When you go with a smaller tip it quites down quite a bit.

If you spent all that time fabbing up stuff, then I'd finish it and see what it sounds like before starting all over again. But, thats just me.

Good luck!

SGT.BATGUANO
07/19/2004, 12:04 AM
Read you can quiet it down by installing backwards.

Tone
07/19/2004, 06:15 AM
Also, it quiets over the first 30 days but it is significantly louder than the PV1.

transio
07/19/2004, 07:05 AM
I realize that a tip will quiet it down quite a bit. But not enough to change my mind about it. It will always sound like rice to me.

VX-KING
07/19/2004, 07:07 AM
transio PS - anyone have any suggestions on what muffler I should get? I was thinking about a FlowMaster 50 series so I can get the dual tips with some nice resonance. Anyone have any experience w/ it?

Alrite yeah PV Does suck uhh, Well my advice go with the Flowmaster 50 series dual mufflers stainless pipes at 3-1/2" pipes from front to back with a alsome sound that you cant get no where else

call me and see or here my vxxy

609-502-5487
alex

transio
07/19/2004, 08:16 AM
VX-King,

Do you mean 2-1/2" ?

I was thinking of getting the smaller FM-50 - the one that's 2-1/4" in and dual 2" out. The biggest is 3" in and dual 2.5" out. Maybe I should go w/ that one since I now have 16 feet of 2.5" pipe sitting in my garage! :D

Dallas4u
07/19/2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by VX-KING
Alrite yeah PV Does suck uhh,
alex

Here we go again...

I have a PV1 and it sounds great. I haven't heard a PV2, but the owners DO say it is louder. I don't know what to tell you. You think it "sucks *****" because it sounds bad, then I would definitely look at Magnaflow, or even the custom Morgan-Tec (http://www.morgan-tec.com/products.htm) muffler.

Sorry you hate it... but I gotta say, the PV1 sounds sweet! ;)

I_Wanna_Retire
07/19/2004, 10:25 AM
Anybody want to buy a brand new PV2? I have one from long ago but after reading these glowing reviews have decided not to install. My son has a PV1 on his VX and it does sound cool, but I would not want to go louder. So, if an old guy (me) wants a little more HP, but does not want to go louder than PV1, what is the best muffler?

transio
07/19/2004, 10:57 AM
Ok, I just got a sound clip from SPAZZ (thanks, man). Here it is:

VX w/ PV2 Muffler (http://www.stevenmoseley.com/vehicross/MOV01269.MPG)

Mine has the exact same tone as that, but is a bit louder, since I have no tail pipe or tip.

Anyhow, I think it sounds awful. It's embarassing to drive around with it. I have a friend picking up a Flowmaster 50 for me for this afternoon. I'm gonna put it on right after work.

Again, if anyone wants to buy this thing, with a 2" inlet conversion to fit stock pipes and custom dual 2.5" outlets for a dual exhaust. I've got about $140 of materials and 3 hours of work into it. I'll sell it for $50 plus shipping costs.

VXMAN
07/19/2004, 12:09 PM
Steve, sorry it didn't work out for you! That sound bite ain't to bad? Maybe a new tip would help? My PV1 did get alot quietier after the 1st month!
Well, I hope you can find a good solution and everything works out in the end!

Dave...

SPAZZ
07/19/2004, 05:59 PM
that was with the stock tip.....when I changed out the tip, it made a HUGE difference.

xdfarrx
07/19/2004, 06:14 PM
does smaller tip mean smaller(less) noise, and conversely, larger more?...anyone?

Reg Hinnant
07/20/2004, 06:35 AM
Stock tip has the last 14", a larger diameter (3"), acting as a megaphone on the sound. Tip with the same size dia as the exaust pipe should be quieter but with the same overall sound tone.
Unless you have the PV1 catback with the "Wheezeanator" tip!

Transio Let me know what you get.

t2p
07/20/2004, 06:54 AM
Reg:
Your pics are great !
t2p

Reg Hinnant
07/20/2004, 08:49 AM
Thanks, t2p! VX+Colorado=fun
I had a very modified Jeep follow me up Engineer Pass road (very rough & rocky) & waiting to "rescue" me. On the other side I got a lot of questions about "What is it" & "What mod components are in the drive train". He was impressed that it was all stock.
VX makes it easy!

nyc #1 ironman
07/20/2004, 10:13 AM
dude, my pv2 is so loud i just took it off,,,,lolol

transio
07/20/2004, 11:33 AM
I wound up going with a turbo dual. It's MUCH quieter than the PV2 - just a little louder than stock. I'm sure it doesn't have the same HP gain, but I don't want HP that way! This was a losing venture for me all around. At least I got my dual exhaust!

AnalogVX
07/20/2004, 06:37 PM
I have joined the ranks of the PV-less as of today. I went with Magnaflow. Not sure about the HP gains, (or loss), but it's much quieter in cabin now.