PDA

View Full Version : Engine Temp. runs *HOT* on Steep Hills!

Captain Maynard
07/22/2004, 01:32 PM
:confused: :confused:

My VX engine temperature gets hot when I climb steep hills at a slow speed on very hot days. It stays cool when I am on the highways and when idling.

When climbing steep hills and turning on the heater; that is enough to keep the engine cool.

The engine has plenty of oil and coolent and runs great.

I cleaned the bugs off of the radiator coils to see if this makes a difference, but do not feel confident that it will make much of a difference.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

:confused: :confused:

Green Dragon
07/22/2004, 05:30 PM
Turn off the Air Conditioner.

Bob

newthings
07/22/2004, 10:38 PM
Ron Davis Radiators now has the Vehicross template and will make you a double thick unit with trans cooler. They have also made a dual fan shroud so the clutch fan can be removed.
Cost about $1100 for both.
I had thse made for California driving, but have moved to Oregon and been too busy (And cool) to install.
Mounting a trans cooler with fan will take a huge load off the radiator. I was not able to find a good mounting spot. How about inside a scooped hood insert with the top or back of the scoop cut out?
Roy

deermagnet
07/23/2004, 06:37 AM
I have seen the same thing on long, steep hills in warm weather. The needle goes from 6:00 to about 4:30, but never gets to a dangerously hot level. We have a small rad and a very small grille opening, so that may contribute to this. Make sure you're always in 3rd gear on a steep hill, or even 2nd gear if you're going slow enough. A lower gear places less load on your engine and allows it to run cooler.

Mark

Navigator
07/23/2004, 07:18 AM
... Water Wetter is product you add to your radiator that helps water flow faster and transfer more heat from the engine. Costs about $10 for a bottle of the red fluid. Also check the quality of your coolant, too much antifreeze can make your engine run hot. Keep the mix at 50/50 in the summer. Any less will not protect the metal parts from corrosion and may promote boil over in hot temps. Also consider flushing, and driving with the windows down and A/C off climbing tall hills in summer, and reduce speed and use a 3rd or lower gear while climbing. Hope that helps :luck: