PDA

View Full Version : Knocking on heavens door(?)

Pixeljunkie
07/28/2004, 05:10 PM
Sadly, my first post, is about the death of my VXs engine.
I've done some poking around the site and it seems I'm not really alone.
I had the oil light pop on/heavy knocking thing happen. I only have 38K on the car, have been religious about oil changes (synthetics). It had been only about 3K miles since the last oil change. I was on a drive home from LA in the middle of B.F.E. when it all happened. I pulled over, put in about 3 qrts of oil, then took it to the oil change place the very next morning. They said it was dry. (after the 3 qrts!) The knocking had gotten significantly worse.

I had it towed to a dealer. He says its pretty much fubar'd. They're calling the manufacture as I'm still under the warranty time (by one week!). Im not too hopefull as the guy I talked to at Isuzu says "well if the oil was dry, it's your fault, service error." My argument is "5QTs of oil in 3K miles? gimme a break!". I would expect that from a car with 100+K miles, but certainly not 38K, very pampered miles.

Dealer is quoting something on the order of $10K to replace and install the engine. My question is; do I roll it off a cliff and claim the insurance or is there anyone out there who can suggest a more sane solution. ( I find out today if the warranty is going to cover it, but I'm going to think worse case for now).
Does anyone else find this case to be...odd?
HELP!!!

Desperate in San Fran!

(..and no, no oil leaks, I 've never seen any puddles of anything under the truck)

mrtew
07/28/2004, 07:31 PM
Good luck. I sure hope that Isuzu covers you with no fight.... and if they don't that you put up a fight. Your story is really scaring me, and I'm sure a lot of other people too. Isuzu needs to do the right thing for thier most enthusiastic drivers. Write back and keep us posted.

DetroitVX
07/28/2004, 09:30 PM
If they don't fix it under the warranty, then fight like hell. If that doesn't work, then forget the dealership altogether. They always charge an arm and a leg...and you really don't want to give $10,000 to people who are being jerks to you, do you? These high prices are not just true with Isuzu, but with all car companies.

Shop around, and you should be able to find a new engine for much less. One major auto parts chain here in Michigan can get an engine for about $3,500, with a 3 year 100K mile warranty. You should also have no problem finding a mechanic to put it in for about $1,200. If you know a mechanic, it my cost you half that (it's always good to have mechanic friends). Yeah...it's still not cheap, but it beats $10,000.

Joe

SPAZZ
07/28/2004, 10:05 PM
make sure to put in a 2004 Axiom Direct Injection engine...more horses and torque with bettr fuel mileage!!!

Cyrk
08/12/2004, 09:15 AM
I got a 04 Rodeo with the Direct Ignition 3.5L 250hp rental from my dealer... since my VX is in the shop.

Man that new motor HAULS... did not get a chance to run it against my Sick VX :( but it sure did smoke my wifes 02 rodeo by like 5 car lengths, Really want that motor Supercharged in our VX's... I think a my SC VX can take it though.

Good Luck Pixeljunkie.

-Dave

Pixeljunkie
08/12/2004, 04:16 PM
UPDATE.
Well it's been 3(?) weeks now? I found out today, Isuzu is covering it! Thank God!
I have to go pick it up still, but they covered the whole deal. After I sent all my service records in, they were super accomidating.
So, Lesson Learned, KEEP YOUR SERVICE RECORDS! or you can usually get them online from whatever company does your oil.

I'm kind of excited now, because it'll be the new updated 3.5 (Axiom) engine. Should be fun to feel a little more umph under the hood.

Cyrk
08/12/2004, 07:01 PM
OH really? please keep us posted, as I WANT that motor!!
Interested to hear how that motor goes in, and if there are any problems. Very exciting news... good luck I wonder if it is the 03 axiom motor 3.5L w/ 230hp or the 04 motors with 250hp?
-Dave

Jay Dunford
08/14/2004, 08:20 AM
Wow, I want to go to that dealer - new motor, drive by wire, new wiring harness and new computer. To think, the rest of us with engine failures only got the short block with all external components (intake, alt, etc) moved over from the original engine.

Pixeljunkie
10/27/2004, 10:33 AM
yeah, I'm retarded.
Sorry, just the short block.

I was so excited that they actually fixed it, I heard wrong.

Anyways, thought I'd set it straight.

....but it does run like a dream now, and It get a little better gas mileage

Maugan_VX
10/27/2004, 12:28 PM
if I were of a less upstanding character I'd find a way to obliterate my rod bearing so I could get that new DI engine.

Chopper
10/28/2004, 06:07 AM
Like the man said...Lot more than an engine swap. All new throttle,wiring harness, fuel system, and of course(drum roll please) computers You WILL spend 10large and do the work yourself. Cheaper/easier ways to make those few ponies brother.Wayne

johnnyapollo
10/28/2004, 06:17 AM
Find a totaled late model Axiom for the engine/drive train/harness. Like Wayne says, there are probably cheaper and easier ways to go.

-- John

Maugan_VX
10/28/2004, 07:27 AM
I think the dripping sarcasm was lost somewhere in my ineffectual post.

If I were a shady kind of guy (arguable, I'll give you that) I'd find a way to make my engine die.

So when I claim the warranty on it

the dealer puts in the axiom engine.

I wouldn't do it myself. Believe you me. And hell if I'd pay for (all of) it either.

transio
10/28/2004, 10:47 AM
Maug, you should really learn to "quit while you're ahead." :)