PDA

View Full Version : engine failure question

SlowPro48
08/12/2004, 05:19 PM
OK so I've been reading about these catastrophic engine failures and now I'm paranoid. It seems the typical scenario is a sudden, rapid increase in oil consumption. This goes unnoticed and engine failure naturally follows.

My question is this:

Why is the low oil not discovered before there is engine damage? It looks like the low oil warning light would come on and warn one before things got so permanent. Or doess the low oil light just mean low oil pressure - not oil level - so it only comes on when the pump starts sucking air? If that's the case is there an aftermarket low oil level warning system available?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Maugan_VX
08/13/2004, 01:49 PM
just replace the PCV valve at every oil change and clean the EGR valve at least once a year and rest easy.

SlowPro48
08/14/2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Maugan_VX
just replace the PCV valve at every oil change and clean the EGR valve at least once a year and rest easy.

OK - PCV done. Looks like EGR will take a little longer so will have to wait until next week.

I'm still wondering why the oil light doesn't give enough warning to prevent permanent damage though. A $400 generator with a flathead Briggs & Stratton has a low oil sensor good enough to prevent engine damage but the VX let's us know about it with knocking rods? Something doesn't make sense...

VX crazy
08/15/2004, 07:55 PM
That is why they are called dummy lights - they don’t come on until AFTER the damage is done. The light is actually a low oil pressure light - no level. Invest in a stand alone gauge or simply check your oil at every or every other fillup and you’ll be fine. If the engine is gonna go, it can still fail even with plenty of oil in there. It’s a casting/piston issue on some but apparently no way to know if you have one. There are MANY, MANY 3.2 with hundreds of thousands of miles on them and the 3.5 is simply a stroked version of a very reliable engine.

doubleadesign
08/15/2004, 08:55 PM
i had a Cj that burned through aobut a quart a week. it was something i could smell. i never noticed the oil buring through on the VX either, though thinking back I do remember after parking a few times thatthe VX sound and smelled cooked. i just ignored it because i just never had a problem and never saw smoke. i don't know but now that i have a new engine things will be different.

Green Dragon
08/16/2004, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by VX crazy
There are MANY, MANY 3.2 with hundreds of thousands of miles on them and the 3.5 is simply a stroked version of a very reliable engine.

This from someone who owns three Isuzus.
1989 Trooper SE
2000 Vehicross
2002 Trooper Limited.

I have to disagree on the reliability issue! With modern machining techniques engine assemblys are fabricated to extremely close tolerances- couple this with the excellent quality of lubricants available & you should have engines that go 200 K before overhaul.

Isuzu engine problems IE: Sudden loss of oil- EGR Valves- Intake manifolds gaskets- Oil Rings are result of poor design at the very least. Isuzus " Prove it's our Fault stance on Warranty" is unforgivable and has turned me from a believer to a dis- believer.
MY Next car Subuaru WRX SI WR1 if it comes to this country.

Bob F

Maugan_VX
08/16/2004, 08:27 AM
Isuzu engine problems IE: Sudden loss of oil- EGR Valves- Intake manifolds gaskets- Oil Rings are result of poor design at the very least. Isuzus " Prove it's our Fault stance on Warranty" is unforgivable and has turned me from a believer to a dis- believer.

Funny, if I was running a business, I would want to make sure that I didn't end up paying for some idiot's maintenance oversight that led to a costly repair.

Also I wouldn't want to recall all those engines with as little problems as there have been.

ThunderChicken
08/16/2004, 05:30 PM
I had my rear shocks replaced today and she bounces like a new one.

I also had my oil changed. The guy checked both the PCV and EGR and assured me that they were in fine working order.
My VX is in this dangerous zone (50,000 - 55,000 miles) and it looks like we are going to through it with flying colors.

On another note, oredered the purge vent selionoid today and will get it replaced next week.

t2p
08/17/2004, 12:52 PM
Funny, if I was running a business, I would want to make sure that I didn't end up paying for some idiot's maintenance oversight that led to a costly repair.

Also I wouldn't want to recall all those engines with as little problems as there have been.
This is not an issue limited to faulty or poor maintenance.
Nor are the problems 'little' or limited. The problems are common -much too common.

Maugan_VX
08/17/2004, 06:54 PM
^ really? You have cold hard numbers that prove beyond a doubt that there is a problem with the 3.5 engine? Because I don't think you do. I think you have a bunch of conjecture based upon a couple of people on teh intarnet that came across some bad luck. I'm not willing to discredit a group of engineers that posses more knowledge of engine design in their pinky toe than any one of you will hope to gain in a lifetime; simply over a couple of people got together on the internet and said "gee willikers, my engine was running like a bull with its balls cut off, and golly, its broken now."

Until I see some reputible source with numbers concerning production numbers vs. engine failures (don't forget to include the 3.5 troopers either), I refuse to participate in this tomfoolery and paranoia that you people are obsessed with.

coolk41
08/17/2004, 08:13 PM
I would have to agree with you. I have a 2001 VX with 65,000 mi. and it's running perfect. No oil consumption at 3000 mi oil change intervals. No misfiring. The Engine and drivetrain "stock" was designed to last a very long time with proper care. This does not include modifications of the engine ( supercharger ) or any drivetrain modification. The beauty of this vehical is in it's stock design.

Maugan_VX
08/17/2004, 08:17 PM
The beauty of this vehical is in it's stock design.

My new sig.

Thank you.

You are... the man.

coolk41
08/17/2004, 08:31 PM
Reading from this sight has made me increasingly paranoid about my VX. However, it has made me more aware of my service schedule. I really do need to grease my front bearings. I'am not sure if I'll do it myself or have it done at the service dept.

coolk41
08/17/2004, 08:47 PM
Forgive me "Vehicle"

xdfarrx
08/17/2004, 09:00 PM
^ really? You have cold hard numbers that prove beyond a doubt that there is a problem with the 3.5 engine? Because I don't think you do. I think you have a bunch of conjecture based upon a couple of people on teh intarnet that came across some bad luck. I'm not willing to discredit a group of engineers that posses more knowledge of engine design in their pinky toe than any one of you will hope to gain in a lifetime; simply over a couple of people got together on the internet and said "gee willikers, my engine was running like a bull with its balls cut off, and golly, its broken now."

Until I see some reputible source with numbers concerning production numbers vs. engine failures (don't forget to include the 3.5 troopers either), I refuse to participate in this tomfoolery and paranoia that you people are obsessed with.

Well, the truth is now I am living it... I have had impaccable maintainence. I became friends with the head mechanic at the dealership in Northern California. I saw every diagnostic test. My sine curves were perfect. A/F ideal. I had my injectors done twice because I am like that. Fresh plugs @ 30k. Mobil 1 synthetic from A to Z. Coolant flush every summer. I lived in lake Tahoe so I considered my low mileage (short trip) driving in sometimes harsh conditions 'severe driving'. I never was harsh on my car and drove it with respect but would hit only if I had too, (i.e. freeway on ramps). Fuel 91 octane only. Redline fuel treatment every 2000 miles...PCV cleaned and always checked. All electrical connections lubed with dialectric grease. EGR valve tight and spec... My vx might not be a pretty as some on the forum but I take mechanical care of it as good as any. I treat my car like my streetbikes, snowmobiles, whatevers... My car doing this is a big let down. PO 301...made me sick to my stomach when I saw it. I don't know how it could be head gasket, bad fuel, etc... but regardless of analytical data, or statistics, I'm looking at worst 5 large for a new engine. Given I only have 56,000 miles and it is a 99 I should be on warranty but I know it won't be that easy. I hope this works for me but knowing all the grief with Isuzu North America, and then my car now I am not to psyched.

Maugan_VX
08/18/2004, 04:24 AM
Well if thats the case, you shouldn't have a problem with warranty work if you kept good records.

Nazrat
08/18/2004, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by xdfarrx
PO 301...made me sick to my stomach when I saw it. I don't know how it could be head gasket, bad fuel, etc... but regardless of analytical data, or statistics, I'm looking at worst 5 large for a new engine. Given I only have 56,000 miles and it is a 99 I should be on warranty but I know it won't be that easy. I hope this works for me but knowing all the grief with Isuzu North America, and then my car now I am not to psyched.

So if I get a code p 0301, that means "Need New Engine?" I thought it was cyl #1 misfire. The coil, plug and injector would certainly be what I'd check first, which I'm sure that they will do at the dealership.

Let us know what they find.

-Tad

t2p
08/18/2004, 06:14 AM
I won't bore you with a lengthy reply. All you need to know is this:
Isuzu maintains that oil consumption of 1 quart per 1000 miles is acceptable.
The oil consumption and failure issues with the 3.5 - and the 3.2 that preceeded it - are fairly well documented. I was aware of the issues before I purchased a VX. I still purchased one though.

Maugan_VX
08/18/2004, 06:39 AM
For such a well documented problem, it shouldn't take to long to come up with some informative links. Maybe a TSB?

Green Dragon
08/18/2004, 10:22 AM
For such a well documented problem, it shouldn't take to long to come up with some informative links. Maybe a TSB?

Lots of links on Isuzu engine failure but none on TSB. The minute Isuzu issues a TSB on the engine failure problem they will admit liability. That is something they have not and will not do.

Perhaps at some time after 2000, finally recognizing that the problem existed, they corrected the Piston ring/Egr engine flaws among other things , but unless their engine build production records are opened for public view we may never know.

Nuff for me on this thread as posters have taken a stance one way or another & nothing is going to change their mind one way or another.

Bob

colmhd
10/14/2005, 07:52 AM
yep I think there's a deninate connect between no warni8ng and rapid engine failure. I kept this baby regular, and I don't mean bran.
changes evry 3k and paying attention to the levels.
Now I'm in the process of swapping out the engine.
Green Dragon 2000 with 74k.
Oh and guess what I'll be fitting this time round...An oil guage.

tngerman2000
10/14/2005, 09:19 AM
Is there an easy way to clean the EGR Valve?

spitfire5454
10/14/2005, 11:42 AM
ill share my experience. I bought my 99 with 37K on it. 2 weeks later i had to return to school (500 mi). the oil level was full before i left. i had to return home (another 500 mi) 3 days later. about my 200 miles into it my engine went. sure enough, there was no oil. I had only had it 3 weeks. i had it towed to a dealer. luckily the warranty had 3 weeks left :) the dealership that i bought it from had no records of oil changes. Isuzu failed to cover it under warranty. i printed about 10 pages of this website regarding the subject and sent them to the isuzu dealership along with a letter from attorney friend that basically said someone was paying for a new engine and that it wasnt gonna be me. three days later i got a call from them that said they had made a "mistake" when reading my warranty info and that they would cover it. i said thank you and a month later i picked up my vx with a brand new engine. They tried to give me the run around so many times. MAKE SURE YOU KNOW YOUR WARRANTY. They count on you taking thier word for it.