PDA

View Full Version : Vx

ThunderChicken
08/15/2004, 09:09 AM
I noticed yesterday at my local Wal Mart all of the attention my Ironman was getting in the parking lot. Then I started looking at everybody elses rides. I got to looking at all of the VX wannabes.

I'm thinking, man, if ZuZu were to reintroduce the VX they would make a killing. There are so many out there that are trying to duplicate the VX is just down right pitiful.

If they were to do the whole concept - 2dr,4dr, and convertible. They would have it hands down.
I wonder why they haven't considered it.

I know that I wouldn't trade my Ironman for any of those off brands, problems and all. The VX just looks right.

Maugan_VX
08/15/2004, 10:48 AM
probably because,

1) Isuzu is all but dead in the US until 2007. GM made sure of that.

2) While the VX might have inspired other "wannabe" its still completely different from them all. Only in styling is it similar.

The VX is true body-on-frame construction. Substantial V6 powerplant. All-wheel drive. Solid rear axle.

Whereas the Rav4, the Lexus Cute Utes are Unibody, car powerplants, IRS, two wheel drive.

The VX doesn't get the gas mileage a vehicle its size should. It weights alot and is driving that AWD which most village idiots don't need.

The one vehicle that I think most resembles the VX these days is the mercedes M-class. Its almost identical in performance and handling, although is a lot more comfortable on a bumpy road. I was considering buying my poor mother's M class from her until the VX I wanted practically showed up at my doorstop.

ThunderChicken
08/15/2004, 11:27 AM
I wasn't aware that GM had a lock out on them. How did that happen?

I think that the VX has plenty of power, if not there is always the super charger.

Gas miliage is another point, but hey, for the looks it's worth the little extra money. Still a site cheaper than driving one of those big Dodges.

It would be neat to clone the VX as a kit car or something like that. You could clone it to fit on a Rodeo or an Amigo frame. They are selling some pretty awesome kits these days.

I'm just saying it's to good of a concept to put on a shelf.

Maugan_VX
08/15/2004, 11:55 AM
Oh I know the VX has plenty of power, one of the reasons I bought one.

The kind of "knockoffs" that I see out there have engines that you typically see in passenger cars, not light Trucks and SUVs.

Take the Ford Escape, I believe it has a Taurus engine. The Rav-4 ... stands for 4-banger. While these engines aren't meant to give the kind of benefits we enjoy with the Vx, they are meant to be able to get great mileage and be able to pull the car up and down the highway at 80mph with two kids and a load of groceries in the back.

This is the inherent insecurity I have with my VX, that people will confuse it for a econo-ute like a Kia or something. I suppose I should put some kind of nasty sounding exhaust on it :P

Oh as for GM pushing Isuzu out of north america... its been documented on several places, but if you go to the isuzu 4x4wire forums and do a search, you can find out all you need.

StormTROOPER
08/15/2004, 01:19 PM
As I stated on another thread, I can't see how Isuzu would permanently shelve their STAR CAR, especially with the increasingly higher gas prices. The BIG gas guslers will be fading while the smaller suvs will be gaining in popularity and no one else has even gotten close to it's perfection and uniqeness. It's the BEST 2 door configuration ever concieved and the SPORTIEST. I showed someone a pic of the VX2 (Anita's avatar) and he thought it was a Cadilac, wouldn't be surprised if they would produce their own 2 door suvette. (i wish) ;)

Maugan_VX
08/15/2004, 01:40 PM
that being said, the Vx, for a 2 door SUV needs to be MORE gas efficient. 19/20 is simply not that much better than the mid-sized.

ThunderChicken
08/15/2004, 02:22 PM
I have owned several vehicles and I say for what you get with the VX compared to other vehicles that gas miliage is secondary.

I owned a couple of Plymouth Superbirds back in the early seventies and yes I got the looks I'm getting now. Have any of you ever seen a Superbird? all it amounted to was the fact it had a huge rear spoiler and a corvette style front end. Don't get me wrong it was great to drive and fun to own but I would rather have a VX. You want to talk about gas miliage, try about 8 miles a gallon on the Superbird. I know that was when gas was about $.28 a gallon.

So if you want unique you have to pay the price somewhere.

Maugan_VX
08/15/2004, 02:34 PM
^ you want something unique yet you want isuzu to start producing more of them?

huh?

ThunderChicken
08/15/2004, 03:55 PM
Yeah, it would be the best of both worlds. I mean, I have a limited production 99 1/2 Ironman VX, ther ain't to many of them out there. It's a unique one of a kind production concept vehicle.
It's a keeper.

I would love to have a 2005/06 Vehicross convertible if they were in production. Im not saying mass production, limited numbers.

transio
08/19/2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by ThunderChicken
I owned a couple of Plymouth Superbirds back in the early seventies Wow, I bet you're kickin' yourself now! :D You can get $100k + for a clean superbird!!

ThunderChicken
08/23/2004, 03:10 PM
Yeah, it still hurts when I think about it. I did have a lotta fun with them both. It would have been nice to still have them around but who would have thought it back in the seventies. They were begging people to take them off of the car lots.

Who knows maybe the VX will be worth some big bucks one of these days. They seem to be holding the value now.

transio
08/23/2004, 03:22 PM
They were begging people to take them off of the car lots. Usually a good sign of a future collector car is either that they sell out instantly or that they can't sell 'em at all, of course coupled with low production runs and exceptional ability. :D I predict the following future collectors on either end: 2001-02 BMW M Coupe (couldn't sell) and 2005 Lotus Elise LSS (sold out).

yal^
08/23/2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Maugan_VX
probably because,

(...)

The one vehicle that I think most resembles the VX these days is the mercedes M-class. Its almost identical in performance and handling, although is a lot more comfortable on a bumpy road. I was considering buying my poor mother's M class from her until the VX I wanted practically showed up at my doorstop.

I am sorry, but I DO NOT AGREE with you. Got them both - VX and M-class and there is no comparison at all. My M-class has been sitting in a garage for last six months and collecting dust. Then I had to get it out to drive my family around and absolutely hated the handling and sluginess of a Mercedes. I couldn't wait to get back into my VX, with seats so snuggly and peppy engine.
M doesn't have a power to compare, at least my ML320 doesn't. I can't speak for higher numbers, didn't try them out yet. Sure they are more comfortable on a dirt road, at the end they came from family of luxury cars, but with deeper ditch or even hitting a curb they are "screaming" like they are just about to tip over, where VX wouldn't even peep.

Cobrajet
08/23/2004, 04:48 PM
...It would have been nice to still have them around but who would have thought it back in the seventies...

ME!!! I've had this one since 1976...

http://users.adelphia.net/~ghnorth/70Cobra.jpg

transio
08/23/2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Cobrajet
ME!!! I've had this one since 1976... Ummm... that's not a Superbird.

mrtew
08/23/2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by transio
Ummm... that's not a Superbird.

Sure is a LOT better looking tho!

dutchie
08/23/2004, 08:12 PM
kinda looks like big bird imho, but nice:D

Tone
08/23/2004, 08:43 PM
Even the AMG 320 is a dog compared to the VX. Test drove one this summer as I need a bigger vehicle for work and yuk - cushy but a slug. And talk about body roll... The next best vehicle IMHO would be the Touareg or Cayenne, although neither has the looks, they really can out perform the VX in most all areas.

transio
08/24/2004, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by Tone
Even the AMG 320 is a dog compared to the VX. The AMG 320? IIRC, the AMG ML is the 55. The only 320 that I'm aware of is the AMG SLK 320, which is a greyhound if it's a dog. No AMG is a dog, for that matter. It's more likely someone "AMG" badged their ML 320 for bling factor.