PDA

View Full Version : Radio Mysterily Stays On, But Truck Isn't

DaPenetrator
08/18/2004, 06:35 AM
I recently had service done to my truck which called for the battery cable to be disconnected. I successfully re-programmed all of my radio stations, but in the process of trying to remember how to set the radio to always display the time instead of station (which I eventually figured out), I've apparently enabled some feature which causes the radio to continue to play for 2-3 mins after the vehicle is turned off the key is removed. The radio will also shutoff if the alarm is enable before the 2-3 mins delay expires. I know this feature is standard on some vehicles, but never knew it exisited on the VehiCross. Anyone out there with any insight?

Maugan_VX
08/18/2004, 07:05 AM
You could always disconnect the battery cable again to reset it if you don't like it.

DaPenetrator
08/18/2004, 07:47 AM
Yeah, I'm sure I could. But that really wasn't what I was asking. Having it stay on is not a problem. In fact I kind of like it this way. The fact is that it worked as usual for 2 weeks after the battery was reconnected at the shop, but didn't develop this new behavior until I started fumbling around with buttons tryin' to get the time to remain displayed. Since I've only owned the truck for a 2 months, I guess my question(s) is/are... has anyone else encountered this behavior? Is it normal? Is it a feature that is selectable? Will it harm the system to leave it this way if it's not standard? And way other insight that someone might have.

Tone
08/18/2004, 09:44 AM
This is a feature of many aftermarket alarms - some allow the AC to blow as well. Do you have the factory alarm? If so, it does NOT have that feature and your VX is possessed - get it exorcised immediately!

DaPenetrator
08/18/2004, 12:49 PM
No, I do not have an aftermarket alarm. So, I guess I'll be making an appointment to have it looked at.

Maugan_VX
08/18/2004, 01:02 PM
Again, I don't think anything's wrong. Reset it and see if it continues.

If it does, then go blow some cash at a shop.

Tone
08/18/2004, 01:15 PM
Something IS wrong - it should not be doing that especially if it is a stock radio / stock alarm with no other electrical additions that didn't happened to be mentioned....

DaPenetrator
08/18/2004, 01:39 PM
Yeah, like I said before, all I did was pressed several combinations of buttons while trying to get the time to stay on the display rather than the station. Once I was successful at figuring that out and turned the truck off, I noticed that the radio continued to play. Then I turn the key back on and then off again. The radio still continued to play. I removed the key and waited. About 2 mins passed and there was in a break in the volume, followed by about another 10-15 sec of audio before the radio shut off. I then put the key back in and turned it to ign, the radio begin to play again. I turn the key off and removed it, the radio continued to play. I got out of the truck and pressed the alarm. The radio shut off immediately.

I'm going to disconnect the battery cables this evening for about 20-30 mins then see if the ghost are still in the machine.

Jolly Roger VX'er
08/18/2004, 07:08 PM
Tips if you can't get the demons out of your VX:

1) Try coaxing them into the light......mention to them how warm and cozy and fuzzy (like a baby bunny) it is in the light.

2) Take your VX to consecrated (holy) ground and sprinkle holy water onto the hood insert while Demanding that the offending spirit be gone!

3) Toss out those Ouija Boards kiddies...sure, Everybody thinks its just a game UNTIL s-o-m-e-b-o-d-y gets HURT!

4) Play Childrens CD's of Barney The Purple Dinosaur in your VX while focusing on his hit "I Love You, You Love Me..."

That's sure to drive ANYTHING out of your VX and back to Hell!

Maugan_VX
08/20/2004, 01:41 PM
This reminds me of what happens when you confront a software engineer with a bug in his software...

"What!?!?! thats not a bug, thats a feature!"
... as he tries to avoid direct eye contact.

SPAZZ
08/20/2004, 03:39 PM
this is what happens in my VX when I leave my 2 million candle spot light hooked up to the dash power hole and turn off the keys.

Do you have something charging that could give it just a touch of power to stay on for a couple minutes??????