PDA

View Full Version : Coughing on Start

Leah
08/19/2004, 12:46 PM
I have had the oil changed regularly, had the PCV changed recently and also had the fuel system cleaned but still my VX coughs when starting. Yesterday, for the first time, it coughed, acted like it was going to run, almost stalled, but then caught and ran like normal. The coughing has been going on for about two months. Immediately after the fuel system and PCV work, it ran better than ever, but barely a month later, it is doing worse. Any ideas?

Also, this link explains about how to tighten steering but the last post says it's a bad idea to do this. http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum39/HTML/002813.html I've noticed some rocking in the steering wheel - I can actually feel it hitting when going over mildly rough surfaces as the wheel catches - and this is also a fairly recent ocsurrence. Is it safe to tighten the steering a little bit?

biju
08/19/2004, 01:21 PM
Leah - I had the same issue. My dealer in Boulder, CO. replaced the fuel injectors and main cpu - yet the problem persisted. After reading some posts on this site a few people suggested looking at the fuel pressure regulator as the issue. I went back and had them replace the fuel pressure regulator - and to my surprise it worked.

It's run and started perfect ever since....:)

VX crazy
08/19/2004, 01:23 PM
Have you had the fuel filter replaced? You should replace that every 15k.

Green Dragon
08/19/2004, 01:37 PM
As previously stated, Change fuel filter. If no cure change pressure regulator.

Bob F

Javy
08/19/2004, 03:29 PM
htg jhgh I have the same problem with the coughing/stalling problem with my 2000 VX. And I tried everything except changing the fuel filter and fuel regulator. I'm going to order those parts right now. Once again...Thank you so much! Much love from Javy in NYC.

PS - You can reach me at (javiernyc3@yahoo.com)

2K1 1K2
08/19/2004, 08:47 PM
hello. try this link...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=41567#post41567

this may be your problem. worth a try.

-jose

Leah
08/19/2004, 10:34 PM
<boinking self in head> I totally forgot that I didn't get the fuel filter changed at that time because I didn't have the money!!!

THANK YOU!

And thank you to everyone else who has offered solutions and encouragement.

Maugan_VX
08/20/2004, 05:14 AM
If you find yourself low on cash when it comes time to change the fuel filter, they aren't to expensive at the parts stores (I think my trooper FF was $9), and it takes 15 minutes to replace. It can get kind of messy because the fuel line is pressurized, but once you've got one end of the line off, it gets pretty easy from there. I use golf tees to plug the lines while I'm changing out the filter so gas doesn't get all over the garage.

Dallas4u
08/20/2004, 08:23 AM
Tad's right... cheap and (can be) messy... unless you like gasoline in the face.

I have a couple plastic hose clamps I just clamp on to each hose (in and out). The fuel filter is, I believe, no more than $5 - $6... not an expensive part by any means. Pull it out, put the new on up there, put the hoses on, and you're good to go!

Oh yeah... again, watch for the gas in the face... had it happen too many times to discuss. Face and clothes drenched in gas.

t2p
08/20/2004, 08:30 AM
VX coughs when starting

it coughed, acted like it was going to run, almost stalled, but then caught and ran like normal
These are also symptoms of bad intake manifold gaskets / o-rings.
Fairly common on early VX's ..... especially 1999's ... and a few other engines also (including SOHC 4.0 Ford) ............

VehiX
08/20/2004, 12:17 PM
LEAH,

What octane gas do you run? I notice a little hesitation on starting when I use the lowest octane/cheap stuff. When I fill up with Plus, this does not happen. I notice it ONLY does this when I fill up with the lowest octane.

Not sure if low octane mixed with clogged fuel filter or injectors is the cause or if it is just the grade of fuel itself?

Leah
08/20/2004, 01:09 PM
The garage that did the fuel system clean and oil change said the filter was $35. I'll definitely go to Walmart for that part. But where is the fuel filter located? Underneath? Do I need to go somewhere to put the VX up on a lift?

VehiX - I only use the highest octane I can get because I don't know if it has anything to do with altitude (300ft above sea level) or the high performance engine, but with anything lower, I get knocking. 90-93 octane. Thank you for the suggestion.

Maugan_VX
08/20/2004, 01:36 PM
the fuel filter is on the passenger side near the rear axle attached to the frame. I think someone else described it as a "beer can" with two hoses coming out of the ends.