PDA

View Full Version : Rear Door Accident

driver3
08/23/2004, 04:34 PM
My sailboat just popped off the trailer while I was going 35-40... The trailer toungue hit the ground, but thanks to the chains..umm yeah thanks... the bow of the boat smashed into the back door and pushed in the cladding pretty bad, and the door is dented underneath. I was able to take the tire out of the back, although it was tight.. and the door is groaning a little when I shut it, but the hinges seem fine. The boat and trailer only weigh about 6-700lbs.. but all that weight was focussed on the tounge and the bow... so it kind of speared me. Anyway, I'm having trouble pulling the rear cladding off right now, just the door, the bottom bumper part is fine. Has anyone ever had the rear door replaced? I don't know if it will need it, maybe just a little work on it will be fine, but just for S#$#'s and giggles, let me know. Also for the cladding, if I can fix the door the cladding will make it perfect. Otherwise it's up to the insurance company and my $500... and then see where that takes my rates at renewal... :rolleyes:

driver3
08/23/2004, 05:24 PM
Ok.. on further inspection, I know the hinges are fine... the door was squeeking because the cladding was rubbing, once the dent in the cladding was pushed out, now I'm fine... but the dent in the door looms and I found where the mast hit.. right on the S in isuzu on the back door.. luckily it actually hit the silver on the s and didn't scratch the paint, but left a small ding you can see in the sunlight when you look close. I dont' know if it's worth fixing or not yet.... I know I can pop the door dent out, but really is it worth 2000???? I don't know if I can part with $2000 (my estimate in my head of how much the insurance will go up + my $500 deductible).. we'll see... I can be a little more reckless backing up when I'm off roading now ;Db;

SPAZZ
08/23/2004, 06:34 PM
you need the rear door cladding, I have it!!! just make offer and we can work something out. New it costs over $300 from Isuzu.

sorry to here of your misfortune. It reminds me of when I was helping a friend move his car with a car dolly where you drive on and strap just the front wheels down. Well, he decided, that when I was getting something to drink and my VX was unattended, to undo my hitch receiver with the car attached and push the car off the dolly with the chains still attached.

The car made the dolly launch forward into, you guessed it, my rear door. Surprisingly it just dent in the spot where the license plate goes and you can't notice.

Maugan_VX
08/23/2004, 08:44 PM
You have my sympathy here, my trooper showed the scars of all my hobie trailering "lessons" including one seized trailer bearing and tongue pop at once. One time my mast fell on the roof from it being fully stepped. Left a nice dent in the windscoop.

Speaking of trailering with the VX, you know of a place where I could pick up a hitch? I was just going to weld a $12 hitch receiver onto the rear frame crossmember and cut out the bumper, but I'd like something thats reversible if I ever have to take it into the dealer.

driver3
08/24/2004, 04:24 AM
http://www.tonemonday.com/vxparts.html

I have this one. it bolts to the frame with 4 grade 8 bolts, very nice, looks stock.

Maugan_VX
08/24/2004, 04:37 AM
Ah, well, it looks like I'll be going for the $12 hitch receiver and the lincoln then.

Thanks though :)

BigJoe
08/24/2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Maugan_VX
I'd like something thats reversible if I ever have to take it into the dealer.

Get the one from Uhaul it bolts under the the rear cladding.

Personally I like Tone's better.

Joe

johnnyapollo
08/24/2004, 12:38 PM
Tone's receiver looks custom:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/33hitchlight.jpg

-- John