PDA

View Full Version : What is TOO much on MILEAGE!?

SachaK
09/03/2004, 10:59 AM
I have a query for you guys,

How would you feel about buying a 99 VX with 132000miles on it?
How can you tell if its in good shape, and not about to blow in the next corner?
Would you buy one for real cheap?
What is the most mileage that anybody has ever done on their VX?

A thought into what is AOK and what is NEI!

:rolleyes: Sachak

xdfarrx
09/03/2004, 11:13 AM
To check you would want to check the compression on the cylinders, fuel rail, injectors, etc... I would be patient. I just saw someone post on one with 21,000 miles in Florida yesterday!!

Also check ebay as some dealers have preowned available...132k is a little to high in my opinion. Good luck and keep us posted.

V-Twin hiCROSS
09/03/2004, 11:36 AM
132K miles is very high. However, if you could buy it cheap enough, you could save the money in anticipation of an engine swap. Remember, it is the same engine as the Trooper. I would make sure that the suspension components and the interior is in good shape. Could be worth checking out if you could pick it up for around $5,000.
Just my $.02 worth.

Triathlete
09/03/2004, 12:32 PM
Good to see 132000 miles on a VX. Mine is closing in on 80000 and I hope to get a minimum of 150000!;Dy;

Should ease some peoples worries of blown engines!

SachaK
09/03/2004, 01:48 PM
Well, its pretty close, he is asking 7k for his.

THe only problem that I have is I am on the other side of the Atlantic!!

So maybe wait until something sweet comes along, and know that it is in good condition.

7000 is very cheap!! What about if I were to convert the VX into the First ever Turbo Diesel, Trooper at least makes them here in SPain!

Have to think about it tho.... Opinions!

SachaK

xdfarrx
09/03/2004, 02:58 PM
That might be something to consider but I also have to believe the diesel platform you speak of has a manual drive train (you shift it) our vx's are automatic transmissions... incase you did not know. I think you should wait and get something that is good. I saw you requested pics on the Florida vx. no luck?? That would be a good one.

SachaK
09/04/2004, 12:45 AM
Thank you for all your input, support and guidance!

And the crusading search continues... :)

Chopper
09/04/2004, 09:41 AM
How about the direct injection engine. The worst part of the "auto to manual" swap, in my experience, was hanging the "extra" pedal in the footwell. Did it once, once was enough. Must admit the lack of manual tranny was damn near a deal breaker for me. I have a 2001 ebony with 14000 mi. that's never seen rain, never known anything but Mobil 1(grease,oil,&trans), never been started for less than a 20 mi. run,never been run hard,and lives in a climate controlled garage, that may be sold soon. A new S2000 is gonna need somewhere to live.

coachreed
09/04/2004, 09:48 PM
I would think if the rest of the VX is in great shape but has high miles on it and the price is right, I'd probably bite... I'd guess that if the motor was still running smoothly at 132K miles, its probably not one of the bad ones... lol Good luck!

Originally posted by Chopper
blah blah blah... that may be sold soon... blah blah blah

How much?!

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am) ;)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/406banner.jpg (http://www.geocities.com/ironmanvx2000)
Undergoing LS1 Conversion as we speak!
Click Image to Visit My Website!

Maugan_VX
09/07/2004, 06:39 PM
132k is to much? Guess I didn't get that memo :)

Joe_Black
09/07/2004, 08:47 PM
132K is nothing for an Isuzu. All that bad engine stuff you read here has to be taken with the realization that the 3.5 V6 wasn't built for just the VX but for the entire Isuzu product range. That's a lot of engines, hundreds of thousands. Of course a few will slip through QC and unfortunately have ended up in a handful of VX's.

$7K for 132K miles? In a heart beat if everything else is in good order. If you don't do the deal share the info here, as others who are familiar with Isuzu build quality will jump on it.

Kitfreak
09/08/2004, 05:29 AM
My view is - Nah! dont do it. 132k is way too many miles for $7k. With 132k miles on it now, you'd never be able to sell it in future when it might have 160k+ on it??

Also, there's the peace of mind factor. I think I'd be worried that any minor rattle, shake or warning light might turn out to be something expensive, and difficult to get hold of.

And anyway you might be able to import a 20k mile VX from Japan for $8k plus shipping.

See Dutchie's response in this thread.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4576

Dont know what the import rules are like in Spain, but I was quoted 12 weeks delivery to the UK by a dealer in Japan when I was looking into this. Steering wheel may be on the wrong side for Spain though?? Japanese VX's have them on the right.

Navigator
09/08/2004, 06:00 AM
Under the unique styling, it's an Isuzu Trooper. One tough SOB :yes: If it has 132k on it, chances are it WAS well maintained. It's most likely a good buy for someone mechanically inclined. It is a machine, and routine maintenance is key to keeping it trouble free :luck:

shoota77
09/08/2004, 06:49 AM
Hi Sacha,
I am on the verge of possibly listing my VX for sale. It is stock except for new rotors put on about 400 miles ago and Rancho 9000x adjustible shocks. I have 29000 miles on it and it is located in Boston, which may make shipping a little easier on the wallet.:p Anyway, shoot me an email at akliy@aol.com if you may be interested. Oh, and enjoy Marbella. I love Costa del Sol, especially Puerto Banus. Some of the best times of my life have happened there. Hasta luego!

Lionel

BigJoe
09/09/2004, 07:31 PM
Sacha,

maybe you could get this guy to ship it to you.....

http://www.showauto.com/viewfull.asp?ID=1052715

Randy
09/11/2004, 05:13 AM
I now have 168,000 miles and things are pretty smooth. My right catalytic converter is rattling though and I'll need to deal with that soon. I'm on my 5th set of tires and 3rd battery. I am getting to the point where little things needing attention are happening more often though.

My previous SUV was a '92 4-door Suzuki Sidekick. I gave it to my Aunt and Uncle in Louisiana five years ago. It now has 265,000 miles; still looks and runs great. 9th set of tires and 4th battery, and very little oil consumption. I love these Japanese vehicles. My Uncle even pulled a school bus out of a mud puddle recently with it!

xdfarrx
09/11/2004, 07:56 AM
...very confirming. Good stuff

azskyrider
09/11/2004, 11:03 PM
This is a nice change from Engine malfunctions....... Glad to see it. Thanks for the info.

MachineVX
09/12/2004, 10:28 AM
Speaking of catalysts, anybody run their VX without them or replace them with high-flow ones?

xdfarrx
09/12/2004, 10:46 AM
My understanding there are 3 of them....Should we start a new thread.