PDA

View Full Version : fuel filter....

jayfotos
09/09/2004, 11:15 PM
I want to swap mine out, is there any trick to it with out getting gas all over the place?

SPAZZ
09/09/2004, 11:29 PM
REALLY QUICKLY and VERY ACCURATELY!!!!

if you do it that way then you spill a little, but not much.

and whatever you do, DO NOT LOOK AT IT DIRECTLY WHEN UNDER PRESSURE!!!!

Navigator
09/10/2004, 04:27 AM
Wear goggles to protect your eyes and use a zip lock bag to contain the old filter. Remove the gas cap to release the fuel pressure. Get under the VX with new fuel filter in hand. Remove the retainer clamp from the old filter. Take a deep breath. Grab the fuel line and slide the hose clamp down the hose over the nipple of the filter. Pull off the hose and rotate the old fuel filter 90 degrees to seal off fuel flow and quickly attach the new filter and rotate it 90 degrees. Remove the second hose clamp from the old fuel filter and quickly attactch the hose to the new fuel filter. Put the old filter in the zip lock bag and discard it. Breathe. Re attach filter clamp. Takes about 10 seconds if you take your time :yes:

Maugan_VX
09/10/2004, 05:02 AM
if you have any golf tees you can use those to plug the lines. Works for me.

V-Twin hiCROSS
09/10/2004, 05:42 AM
All good advice. I had a bear of time getting the hoses off of the old filter. Mine was the original filter, so it had 4 years of road schmag on it. I ended up pinching the hose with hemostats and spinning the filter until it came loose. Of course I spilled gas all over, I had not heard of the golf tee trick.

deermagnet
09/10/2004, 06:01 AM
I used two pair of vise grips with duct tape covering the teeth to clamp the hoses and didn't spill anything. You might as well pull the gas tank drain plug for a few seconds to get rid of the junk at the bottom of the tank also.

Dallas4u
09/10/2004, 08:54 AM
I changed the fuel filter in the Rodeo last weekend... done many, and gas always seems to spew. I have hose clamps that I clamp on the in and out tubes, but there is still gas in the filter which WILL come out when tipped.

The tubes can be somewhat of a bizzle to pull off... which ends up jerking the filter and spewing gas. I use a tin coffee cup to catch gas and it works ok. I like the golf tee idea... but the hose clamps seem to work just fine at keeping gas from, yes, spewing out of either hose when taken off.

Anyway, it's a (somewhat) relatively easy process... just take hoses off, take out filter, put in new filter (note flow direction), and put hoses back on... sometimes things just aren't as easy as they seem!

jayfotos
09/10/2004, 09:38 AM
THanks guys, good ideas!

AlaskaVX
09/10/2004, 10:28 AM
I wrote up a how to on this, I used 2 pairs of vise grips to pinch each hose.

xdfarrx
09/10/2004, 11:41 AM
golf tees work killer to plug the lines....secondly do the following. Remove gas cap. Pull the fuse for the fuel pump, run the car till it dies. Then remove the filter as suggested in the above threads. Be aware that the filter will have gas in it and be prepared for some spillage. The car might throw a code or check engine light. Disconnect battery and reset and you are dialed....by the way; this is what the 'factory' workshop manual states for the job. good luck

jayfotos
09/10/2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by xdfarrx
golf tees work killer to plug the lines....secondly do the following. Remove gas cap. Pull the fuse for the fuel pump, run the car till it dies. Then remove the filter as suggested in the above threads. Be aware that the filter will have gas in it and be prepared for some spillage. The car might throw a code or check engine light. Disconnect battery and reset and you are dialed....by the way; this is what the 'factory' workshop manual states for the job. good luck

That's a little nutty.....

xdfarrx
09/10/2004, 07:47 PM
Not as nutty as the skill you got on your drawings kid....and the money you droppin on your vx.
peace
xDx

jayfotos
09/10/2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by xdfarrx
Not as nutty as the skill you got on your drawings kid....and the money you droppin on your vx.
peace
xDx

:p