PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter install

doubleadesign
09/19/2004, 10:36 AM
i feel dumb for asking, but where does it go?

ron
09/19/2004, 10:42 AM
The filter is located under the vehicle on the passenger side further back. You'll see it mounted up against the floor of the vehicle by a clamp and will have rubber fuel line hoses attached in front and behind the filter.

Do a search on fuel filters and there's a step-by-step process that is easy to follow and safe. There's a lot of fuel in the lines and in the filter itself and will spill out when given the opportunity. Really scary situation to be in under the VX with fuel pouring out all over you while you attempt to remove the hoses. Good luck.

doubleadesign
09/19/2004, 04:38 PM
note well taken

Tone
09/19/2004, 05:21 PM
Ideally, pressure should be bled from the system via the Shraeder valve on the fule rail - be careful as fuel could spray everywhere and get on the hot exhaust manifold and possibly catch fire. Removing the gas cap does NOT release pressure from the pump system although it will subside on it's own after a number of hours.

Heraclid
09/19/2004, 06:31 PM
Wear some safety glasses just in case. You can start the VX, pull the electric fuel pump fuse, and immediately turn it right back off (if you don't it will cut off a split second later on its own) to let the engine take out the extra fuel/pressure in the line. I just used a pair of those pistol grip-type clamps and cranked 'em as tight as I could on the lines to pinch off the flow. Then all you're dealing with is a bit of fuel still in the filter itself. I personally hate the clamps that are on there so I bought some hose clamps that have the screw adjustment on them so you can just tighten them down with a screwdriver.

doubleadesign
09/19/2004, 07:41 PM
cool.
i thought it would be fast and easy but this shouldn't take too long with a little good prep.

doubleadesign
09/27/2004, 06:29 AM
since there is no fuse labeled "fuel filter".
is it the engine, or one of the ignitions?

Jonnie
09/27/2004, 05:36 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1673

Search...its a wonderful thing. :p

Green Dragon
09/27/2004, 09:35 PM
I removed fuel cap, removed Filter clamp nut & used penetrating oil ( half Kerosine-half Transmission fluid) to lubricate hoses & facilitate their removal. Compress clamps with pliers & slide back- Remove & replace fuel filter be sure you install in right direction ( in-out). Might consider replacing clamps with SS Screw type to make future changes easier? spilled very little fuel but you should wear safety glasses as debris/dirt from chassis underneath can get in your eyes.