PDA

View Full Version : Windshield/mirror question

Raque Thomas
09/28/2004, 03:47 PM
Anybody here know the best way to remove the stock mirror mount from the windshield without cracking the w/s? I have a auto dim mirror with a compass I want to install, but the GM mount is a typical GM slide down mount, whereas the VX mount is a push and twist type mount. My only thought was taking the heat gun to it to try to soften the glue - I just don't want to crack the windshield in the process. Thought someone here might have knowledge/experience!

Raque Thomas
09/29/2004, 09:24 AM
bump

Tone
09/29/2004, 09:40 AM
IStop by any windshield repair shop - I would leave the stock puck and add another one higher. Removing can be done but I wouldn’t take the chance of breaking the windsheild. New mirror will block the view of the old mount.

I ended up JB Welding a standard puck on top of the Isuzu puck as I was impatient and wanted to install my new mirror 5 yrs ago that had map lights, temp and compass.

Raque Thomas
09/29/2004, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the tips Tone - I hadn't thought about glueing one on top of the other - I'll give that a try. By the way, I finally got around to installing the hitch I bought from you. I was a little concerned when I first looked everything over about the instructions and whether they were complete enough. They were right on, and the install went very smooth. The most disconserting thing was cutting the cladding, but I took it slow, and the hitch actually covers any small irregularities in the cut. It looks completely factory.

It's a great product, and I've already had the opportunity to use it to tow a loaded trailer - it worked very well! For anybody that's been on the fence about this - go for it! It took me about 4 hours, but it was well worth the effort in terms of the results.