PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP! Wheels don't fit!

transio
10/09/2004, 05:31 PM
Bolt pattern is fine. Backspacing is fine. Can't get the wheels on though. The hub (#1 in diagram below) and cap (#6) are too big in diameter, though, and stick out too far. The wheel gets stuck on them and won't go on all the way.

http://www.stevenmoseley.com/vehicross/brake.gif

I need some advice. What can I do to make the wheels fit? Do I have to replace the entire brake system or is there just a flatter hub that I can get?

PLEASE HELP !!! Any advice or info is appreciated !!!

Thank you

ron
10/09/2004, 06:42 PM
hey transio...

I believe you may have wheels that are best suited for the smaller hub suvs like GM or Chevys. The Isuzu's are the large hub type about 110 mm for the center bore for an aftermarket wheel.

I personally had the same experience when I purchased some other aftermarket wheels and found out the hard way that they couldn't fit for the same reasons you have. However, I was given 2 options to try to see if I can get around the dilemma.

First option would be to take it to a local wheel/machine shop that can possibly turn the wheel on a lathe and take off some inner material (assuming the wheel is aluminum) to the exact size you need to clear the hub. However, you need to make sure that there IS enough material in the inside to do this post op otherwise it would be too risky and will sacrifice the structural integrity of the wheel. A good reputable shop that has been doing this, will know right away whether it's worth doing or not.

The second option, if the first does not work out, is to return the wheels and go through a local wheel shop that they can purchase the exact same wheels for you but made to fit the VX. I went for this option since the shop will not charge for shipping the wheel back to the manufacturer if it doesn't fit and will keep trying to find other alternatives that suits your liking til one fits. I went through two more different wheel makes with Discount Tire before I found one that not only fits right, but also was happy with the look after installation.

Regarding the wheelcap/cover, you may need to get a larger or deeper sized cap to accommodate the center cap. Or you may need to fabricate a "spacer" to allow the cap to be mounted further out. Check with the wheel manufacturer to see if they offer these as options.

I also read of another alternative to convert the large stock hubs to a smaller size but don't know what the outcome of that idea was and probably wasn't too logical since costs and potential conversion headaches may not have been worth it.

Sorry to hear that you've come this close only to be stopped by something this small yet significant. I hope that something above will help one way or another as I can contest how frustrating of an ordeal this is personally. Good luck let us know of the outcome.

thedutchguy
10/10/2004, 04:58 AM
THAT'S TOUGH STEVE !
Too bad you don't live nearby, I have all the machines fit for a job like this at my disposal.
Pesonally, I'd go for altering the wheels(if there's Enough meat on them)
If not, send them back and search for other ones.

transio
10/10/2004, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the info, guys. My instinct tells me that there will be plenty of "meat" to machine out. The center bore very barely doesn't fit - I believe it's 108mm - and the center of the wheels is pretty thick. Nevertheless, I'll get an expert's advice before going for it.

What a crappy situation. :(

ron
10/10/2004, 01:18 PM
If the inside of the centerbore of the wheel IS 108 mm, then all you need to have machined out is about 1 mm of surface material which will be a total of 2 mm to match the hub size of 110 mm outside diameter + or - (give or take). I would double check both sizes to make sure.

Also, TRIPLE-CHECK that NONE of the lug holes or cosmetic holes/cavities come anywhere near the center bore as this will pose a threat to the structural integrity of the wheel. Machining the wheel out to fit a larger hub SHOULD be the last alternative after checking to see if you can swap with a wheel designed to fit the VX. However, if there are none available and your heart is still set on these AND if it doesn't pose any potential break (wall thinness) through the lugs or other cosmetic holes/cavities, then go for it.

Good luck and don't forget to post pics.

morgan-tec
10/10/2004, 11:10 PM
This is a common problem with both Vxs and Axioms, we do share the bolt pattern and sometimes the offset with some GM, Chevy, Caddy. But we need the large center bore as do Toyota, Nissan etc. Any wheel that fits a Toy will fit An isuzu. If i were you i would machine out the wheels you have.;Dr;

transio
10/11/2004, 07:54 AM
I'm going to call the retailer and the manufacturer today to get some more info. Thanks for the help guys !!!

transio
10/11/2004, 09:14 AM
Does anyone know what is the length of the protrusion of the hub from the mounting face on the VX?

transio
10/11/2004, 09:18 AM
Oh, also, what is the function of the cap (#6)? Is it a retainer for some fluid?

transio
10/11/2004, 06:12 PM
PS - here's a pic of the wheels next to the VX ;)

http://www.stevenmoseley.com/vehicross/lexani_gforce_wheels_3.jpg

Raque Thomas
10/11/2004, 07:22 PM
Look great - and look like there's some serious trimming in store in front!

transio
10/11/2004, 07:34 PM
Not as serious as it looks ;) The camera perspective makes them look a little bigger than they are!

Kahuna
10/11/2004, 08:02 PM
Those rims are awesome. What kind are they?

transio
10/12/2004, 07:08 AM
Lexani VP Offroad 18" polished aluminum w/ 285/60 BFG G-Force KDW2's

transio
10/12/2004, 09:13 AM
Ok, I just spoke with the dealer. He called the manufacturer, who said that the center bore WILL FIT A 108mm HUB !!! So I'm thinking that the problem wasn't with the center bore, but with the "stroke" (the length of the cutout for the hub - not sure what you'd call it). Remember I said that as I put the wheel on, I could see the center cap being pushed out. I think that the problem would only be on the front if that's the case, right? The back hubs shouldn't stick out as much? Anyhow, I'm going to take some measurements and see exactly how much of a problem this will pose. I'll keep you all updated!

:)

AREA 51
10/12/2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by ron
If the inside of the centerbore of the wheel IS 108 mm, then all you need to have machined out is about 1 mm of surface material which will be a total of 2 mm to match the hub size of 110 mm outside diameter + or - (give or take).

Note the part about 110mm;)

transio
10/12/2004, 10:40 AM
Area 51, I got that. The spec on the wheel says "108mm". I originally assumed that meant that was the bore. It's not. It means that it will fit a 108mm hub. There's no spec for the actual bore, but it's probably 110mm, according to what the manufacturer says.

ron
10/12/2004, 10:49 AM
hey transio...

I'm confused. I had the impression that your wheel could not actually fit on the hub from your first post? If the manufacturer can actually verify that it is about 110 mm in the inside dimension of the wheel then it should've fit right on. If you couldn't get it on, then it's not 110 but smaller. However, if you could get it on but not all the way because of the center cap intereference, then it's the center cap that's the issue and not the centerbore as I originally thought it was.

transio
10/12/2004, 11:25 AM
ron,

I originally thought the centerbore was the issue when putting it on, although I noticed at the time that the center cap was being pushed out simultaneously. I now think that the problem may be the hub protrusion from the mounting face. I think that the wheel is not deep enough. I don't know how to explain this, but it's not simply a center cap issue. The center bore doesn't go all the way through - there's about 1/4" of the face of the wheel remaining at the front of the bore with the spoke pattern extending over it. Then, there's a second bore going all the way through with the center cap over that. The center cap is only about 2" (50mm) in diameter. So to fix the problem, I think I might have to extend the bore out to the face of the wheel, and possibly ruin the design of the wheels. I don't want to do that if I don't have to. Again, I have to take measurements to figure it all out. I didn't try much last time because I thought the bore was the issue. Thanks again for the insight! You've been a big help on this!

TKEPY237
10/12/2004, 02:37 PM
Will the rims fit without the center cap? You could always get another brand of center cap that would accommodate the hub protrusion, then order lexani center cap stickers and put them on the new center caps. Just a thought.

thedutchguy
10/13/2004, 12:22 PM
hello steve,
Since you're so "into wheels"at the moment.
do you have something like this:
With the sizes of the standard 18" wheels?
it would come in handy with a search for other examples.
https://homedrive.home.nl/info.vanhal/publiek/images/techdiagram.gif

transio
10/17/2004, 03:07 PM
Ok,

I took measurements and made this drawing. These are what our front hubs look like:

http://www.stevenmoseley.com/vehicross/hub.gif

As you can see, the hubs protrude a total of 3" from the mounting face.

The wheels I got only allow for about 2" of protrusion. I think I could make them work with 1/4" spacers, and leaving the center caps out (or making custom center caps). But I don't want to do that for various reasons.

I'm going to contact the people I bought them from to see what they want to do.

This is becoming a very frustrating situation...

johnnyapollo
10/17/2004, 05:31 PM
Sounds like you would have issues no matter what you do with those particular wheels. Any luck with the dealer on returning them for another set?

The center cap is usually a grease cap that prevents grease from slinging when the wheel is in motion. You can probably find a different cap (as recommended previously) that sits almost flush with the hub. Although I myself am hesitant using spacers, I've known several who have used them successfully without issues.

-- Best, John

transio
10/18/2004, 10:33 AM
John,

Thanks for the info. If I could get a cap that sits flush and some low-profile bolts to replace the existing ones, I think I could reduce the hub's protrusion to 2". With those mods, I think the wheels would fit fine.

You guys think I should go for it? Where would I take it to have that done?

thedutchguy
10/18/2004, 10:52 AM
nobody in the neighborhood with a cnc milling machine?:confused:

transio
11/14/2004, 11:18 AM
The wheels officially won't fit :(

I'm so angry... I measured the hub spacing at the back of the wheel at 2", but it was some funky advertising ruler of my dad's. It's actually 1½"

No way will they fit without ½" spacers, and even then, they would stick out too much and there'd be way too much trimming to do. This is a mess.

It's just not gonna work. Now that's TWO F*QING MODS that have backfired on me... to the tune of almost $2000. I'm royally pissed about this.

Back to the drawing board :(