PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance Question

Hanalei
10/26/2004, 08:20 AM
A place near me said they could change the front and rear axle oil and tranfer case oil for $79.99 and said it would take about 20 mintues. Is that a deal? It seems like a good price considering Isuzu in Belleville told me it would be alot more.

Dallas4u
10/26/2004, 08:27 AM
It's probably an ok price for something like this... even though this is a pretty easy process if you have something to inject the fluids in with. Honestly, I don't know how much it normally costs at a dealer as I did this myself... I just can't imagine it would be more than $80.

jimbo
10/26/2004, 08:49 AM
Hi Dallas -

I have to do this as well. Not sure if i should try this myself.

What did you find was the best way to inject the fluid up there? Is there any tricks for making it easier? How did you position/hold the bottle while putting it in?

I've saw a little pump that looked like a bicycle pump at the parts store, and also a two foot extension hose with a valve on it. Is either of these worth purchasing?

Joe_Black
10/26/2004, 09:17 AM
You can do this maintenance yourself as the only thing you'll need besides the fluids is a piece of hose and a funnel (for filling the transfer case/TOD). Clear Tygon or Vinyl hose is fine, just make sure it's large and flexible enough to slide over the funnel spout. You can use the same hose on the spout that's on the gear lube bottle for squeezing it into the diffs too. There's pics of the drain and fill points in my gallery as well.

jimbo
10/26/2004, 09:25 AM
Regarding diffs:

Just hold the hose in the hole with one hand, the bottle in the other and squeeze? That's all there is to it? Bottle doesn't have to be held higher than the hole?

Ldub
10/26/2004, 09:40 AM
Hey fellow lubers,

Just a thought on making life easier. My local NAPA store had a pump that screws to the top of the bottle (fit AMZOIL bottle, don't know what you're using), it also has a little clip that holds the end of the hose in the hole for you. It worked pretty slick for me, maybe for you too.:cool:

Ldub

Joe_Black
10/26/2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by jimbo
Regarding diffs:

Just hold the hose in the hole with one hand, the bottle in the other and squeeze? That's all there is to it? Bottle doesn't have to be held higher than the hole?

Yup. Just use a couple feet of hose and squeeze while holding the bottle upside-down. When you just about can't squeeze any more, turn the bottle right-side up until air clears the hose. Then air can re-enter the bottle for the next squeeze. Repeat until full. ;Dp;

V-Twin hiCROSS
10/26/2004, 01:54 PM
I have to do this too, so I will get my questons in while you are feeling generous.

How much lube do we need to buy?
What exactly, is the additive?

Thanks,
Neal

Tone
10/26/2004, 02:49 PM
Get yourself a drill powered pumps, small hose and hose fittings ($10) at Home Depot or most auto parts - makes it a LOT easier and it is almost mandatory if you are doing the tranny since you'll be pumping 4+ quarts UP HILL!

jimbo
10/26/2004, 02:52 PM
Buy two quarts for front, three for back - if using two different weights, or just four quarts total if you are using one.

The service manual says Front= 1.5, Back= 2.3

Not sure about additive, with royal purple gear oil it's included in bottle.

jimbo
10/29/2004, 01:54 PM
Now I'm hoping the above amounts are right cause I'm probably doing it this weekend.

Don't want to come up short. I'm using the royal purple stuff and I had to order it off the weeeeeenternet. ;pp;