PDA

View Full Version : softer ride, need shock advice

PeteVX
10/28/2004, 11:14 AM
So i love the handling of the VX, it feels like i've pushed it further than i should be able to push an SUV without biting back.(anyone had one on 2 wheels yet?)

However.... i need a softer ride, the roads here in MN are pretty crappy and i'm not a kid anymore!, while i appreciate the capability of the KYB's, being realistic i will never realise their potential, 90% of my driving is on the street, offroading is having to access crappy fields, snow and ice usually in the middle of the night in the worst weather and just wanting to make it back out again to get home.

So i need some advice on what shocks to use, i know a lots been written on different conversions but i'm looking for a simple bolt in replacement that will give me a more comfortable ride on the street.

Is it the rancho 9000x that can be linked together for onboard adjustability?

Any thoughts, opinions and experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks

Pete

autox-racer
10/28/2004, 11:19 AM
I had the same problem with Detroit roads. I had one KYB that was dead and so I had to fix or upgrade and I went with 9000s. I did not get the internal adjuster because I don't off road enough to need it. And from my past experience once you find the setting you like you leave it alone.

I have mine set a little too soft and get some floating in the front but it does ride nicer over the bumps, cracks, holes and road kill :)

Pretty easy to adjust w/o jacking up vehicle also.

jimbo
10/28/2004, 11:37 AM
My wife says the VX should have been called the Isuzu "Roo" (Kangaroo) and complains she can never put her makeup on in it when we are going out someplace.

It's waaaay bumpier than my old Amigo even.

I like the hard ride, but there is one parking lot near here where there must be little waves in the asphalt or something. The VX actually hops across the lot, you almost leave your seat if you are going fast enough. I think part of the "hoppy" ride is the short wheelbase. This lot must have slight waves that are just the right length vs the wheelbase to get the bugger a- hopping.

Isuzu-Roo .... I like it. ;Db;

Capri
10/28/2004, 12:38 PM
autox racer, what settings do you use on your 9000?

autox-racer
10/28/2004, 01:22 PM
I would have to check but I think around 3 and 4. Run the front a little softer but still need to play with it a little. Front is almost too light.

t2p
10/28/2004, 02:21 PM
Pete:
Where do you keep your tires (psi) ?
Also, brand, model, and size of tire .........
The tires can play a major role in the 'ride' over irregular road surfaces.

Tone
10/28/2004, 04:34 PM
I'd be interested in your (and any others) old stocks - let me know and I'll send you my UPS account number to cover shipping or paypal ya!

marximus
10/28/2004, 06:34 PM
i have the rancho 9000x with onboard adjustment installed on my VX. it is really fun to play with not to mention very convenient. when i pump the shocks up to 8 or 9, you can feel every pebble in the road, and when you deflate them to 0, the ride is noticeably soft

i would reccomend these shocks highly, with the onboard adjustment ofcourse. if you want some pictures of the installation location, ill take some shots for u.

-Mark

Deathbyarchitect
10/28/2004, 09:46 PM
PIX..PIX..PIX..PLEASE

I have ranch 9000 and I set 4 for front and 3 for rear.
when I drive around town, it's a lot better than stock.
however on DC beltway..not that great..kinda scary time to time.

Marximus...I'd like to see pictures of the installation location.
I'm very interested in installing it.....

thanx

PeteVX
10/28/2004, 10:59 PM
t2p......my tires are bridgestone duellers 245/60/18 running at the reccomended 29 psi and i check them pretty regularly too.

Its sounding like the 9000x's are the way to go especially with the remote adjuster, everyone so far has positive things to say about 'em.

Anyone have part numbers or sizes/lengths and who got the best deal on them?? :) I think i've seen them advertised for about $400 per set.

As far as my old ones i'll probably hang on to them at least for the time being just incase i decided to switch back or god forbid...i ever had to part with my vehicross... Oooh dont want to think about that!!

Pete

marximus
10/28/2004, 11:13 PM
well ill tell ya, the convenience of being able to change stiffness while moving is awesome, and it sounds like you would appreciate it as well. i cant fiure out how to post pics so i added them to my webpage, heres the link. My Site (http://homepage.mac.com/marximus/PhotoAlbum6.html)

marximus
10/29/2004, 01:18 AM
sorry, that link is no good here is the good one. (http://homepage.mac.com/marximus/Vehicross/PhotoAlbum6.html)

t2p
10/29/2004, 06:26 AM
Hmmm ........ OEM's at 29 psi .......
If you think your VX corners well now, throw on some V rated 255-55's ...... pump em up to 35-40 psi ..... and your grin will increase exponentially ........
29 psi is good for comfort ........ I guess I am able to run higher psi due to the 'pasta' factor ....... I knew there had to be at least one upside to my recent weight increase ..........
Seriously, the Rancho's may be a good option ..... also, someone on this board experimented with a Gabriel and found the ride to be soft .........
My OEM's were shot (unfortunately) - so I installed 4 KYB MonoMax that work very nicely ....... they were just under $200 shipped to my door from TireRack ...... they are very easy to install - although the exhaust system compromises the install of the left rear .......

t2p
10/29/2004, 06:50 AM
jimbo:
Your shock absorbers are shot .... (that is my guess) ........
If you have a 'kangaroo' - there is a very strong possibility that you have one or more expired shock absorbers. This is not uncommon. Perform the bounce test.
oh yes ......... I just read your post again ......... and I would bet .... someone elses first born ........ that your are riding on 2 or more expired dampers (as those in the UK would say) .........

jimbo
10/29/2004, 11:13 AM
Your shock absorbers are shot .... (that is my guess) ........
I don't know, it's only got 16,000 miles.

I think it's a combination of a hard suspension, lots of bumps and potholes, and a short wheelbase.

t2p
10/29/2004, 01:05 PM
Jimbo:
Perform the bounce test. It should 'settle' almost immediately.

jimbo
10/29/2004, 01:24 PM
Bounce up and down in the driver's seat? Won't I look funny to the neighbors?

Just kiddin man... I'm just p#ssing myself today. (sorry)

t2p
10/29/2004, 02:38 PM
jimbo ..... you're a kid at heart ...........
my two (little boys) were doing that just one time ........... I went back into the house to get something while they were in the back seat ....... and I return to find them bouncing up and down .......
the kids like the Vehicross ...... I read a few articles that 'downed' the rear seating area of the VX because of the 'poor view' ....... can't remember the exact quote ........ well, the kids really like riding in the VX - and said they can see very well ....... they also like to look at the small lense (VanEyes) I placed on the rear window - they call it the 'rear movie camera' ........