PDA

View Full Version : Mounts FINALLY welded in!

coachreed
10/30/2004, 11:33 AM
OK, I've been on hold for my welder to come by and weld my motor and transmission mounts in the VX... it finally happened this morning... he showed up around 11am... he was done welding and reinforcing by 12noon! I just rolled the VX out of the garage for the first time with the motor solidly mounted in place... I even gave the VX her first bath in a YEAR! ;eekb; My friends asked when I plan to have the VX running by... I told them before the first snow... to which they informed me I better get working cuz its supposed to snow next week! Uh oh... probably not gonna happen. Anyway, once the VX dries off, I gotta roll her back up the driveway (yes, I said UP!) and into the garage... I'm gonna start wiring this week in the evenings, and will coordinate with a friend at an exhaust shop for sometime in the next week or so... now to figure out how to get it there! Anyway... just thought I'd let y'all know whats up... I gotta run... TTYL!

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am) ;)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/406banner.jpg (http://www.geocities.com/ironmanvx2000)
Undergoing LS1 Conversion as we speak!
Click Image to Visit My Website!

Triathlete
10/30/2004, 02:55 PM
Will we see it at Zuzoo? Sure hope so!

SGT.BATGUANO
10/30/2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by coachreed
... I'm gonna start wiring this week in the evenings, and will coordinate with a friend at an exhaust shop for sometime in the next week or so... now to figure out how to get it there!

I guess you'll have to get it wired and just run OPEN EXHAUST to the muffler shop.

They'll hear ya comin' :eek: :D

coachreed
10/31/2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Triathlete
Will we see it at Zuzoo? Sure hope so!

Ultimately, I hope to be there... by then I should actually be entitled to some vacation for the first time in my life! lol Soooo... tentatively... YES!

Originally posted by SGT.BATGUANO
I guess you'll have to get it wired and just run OPEN EXHAUST to the muffler shop.

They'll hear ya comin' :eek: :D

That was a consideration awhile back but isn't gonna happen if its too cool... don't need to take any chances with rapidly cooling valvetrain... plus my exhaust manifolds and cats will be dumping out close to a couple wiring harnesses... don't need to take that chance either... sooo... I guess its flatbed to the exhaust shop.

Later!

coachreed
10/31/2004, 10:42 AM
I'm sitting here studying the ECM pin-outs... luckly, most of the 80 ;eekb; wires on the harness are already terminated... I only need to go through each of them and make sure they are fed power or ground where needed and where to hook my VATS bypass module in. I hope to actually start the wiring sometime tomorrow... wish me luck!

transio
10/31/2004, 12:59 PM
GOOD LUCK !!! :D

Dude, once you're done, you gotta write up an LS-1 conversion tutorial !!! Itemize everything w/ costs, etc. You could sell it and make a few bucks! I'd buy one! :)

coachreed
10/31/2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by transio
GOOD LUCK !!! :D

Dude, once you're done, you gotta write up an LS-1 conversion tutorial !!! Itemize everything w/ costs, etc. You could sell it and make a few bucks! I'd buy one! :)

Thanks for the wish of luck... as for the tutorial... well, I'll do what I can but its all such a blurr now! lol Honestly, I know I could do it again, more efficiently but not positive that I could write it all up... then again, its a pretty simple process! LMAO! Riiiiiiiiiiight!

Things are already looking better under the hood... I have started routing the harness to the proper locations, and have started plugging some stuff in. I found that the stock throttle cable will work PERFECTLY... I only need the cable bracket from an LS1 motor... can't seem to find it laying around in the mess! I have routed part of the harness back through the firewall and under the dash... should have all the wires I need in place now. I am off to do some research and reading on which wires I need to use and which ones I can ditch. Once done, I'll have to have a program like LS1Edit to turn some stuff off, make some adjustments and whatnot but thats all minor detail. I'll check back in later!

TTFN!

Coach... aka Randy!

Maugan_VX
10/31/2004, 01:39 PM
that sounds awesome man. Good luck.

coachreed
11/02/2004, 06:01 PM
I tell ya what... its amazing how quickly things start looking at home when you clean up the wiring mess under the hood... I need to get more info on the wiring from the 2000 Z/28... anyone have access to AllData.com wiring diagrams? If so, I could use a little help. Lemme know.

Later!

Randy

coachreed
11/07/2004, 01:07 PM
I am supposed to be meeting with a guy from one of the local F-Body (For those who don't know what the F-Body is... Camaro/Firebird) this afternoon to do some probing under the hood of his car... hopefully that will answer some questions to get my closer. In case you hadn't seen the latest pictures in my Webshots gallery (link at the bottom of my sig), here is a picture with a good part of the harness plugged back into place. You can see the LS1 PCM on the passenger side wheel well in place of the ABS unit (ABS unit available for sale if your interested...;pb; )... and between there and the battery tray, you will see 3-4 plugs... I have to figure out where to wire EACH of those wires individully... only 30-40 wires left! ;eekb; Anyway... click here (http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=showMyPhoto&albumID=191752107&photoID=212510561&security=fIPSjN) to see the latest picture of the motor in place... gotta go do some learning... TTYL!

Randy

newthings
11/07/2004, 01:34 PM
Last night on the SPEED channel, they had a walk around at SEMA in Las Vegas. One booth speciallized on making wire harness and computer interfaces for newer engines in older cars. They showed a new Corvette engine in an old Camero. It went by so fast I did not get the name. I think Tone went to SEMA, and may have a vendor list. If this helps-good.
Roy

coachreed
11/07/2004, 01:41 PM
There are a couple different options for LS1 harnesses to retro into other cars... at least that I know of... Painless Wiring has something, and on on LS1Tech.com, there is a company called Speartech that will either build you a new harness from the ground up or modify the stock PCM harness that came with the motor... the only drawback to this is the price... a friend of mine just put an LS1 into his Wrangler and I think he spent $750 for the harness! ;eekb; I don't know about you, but I don't have that kind of money laying around... unless of course, the good people of VX.info wanna donate to the cause! ;Db; I DO have a PayPal account ya know! ;pb; Ok, maybe not... anyway, thanks for the idea.

Later!

Coach!