PDA

View Full Version : SC Install Prices

Medman
11/23/2004, 01:39 PM
Hey there gang,

After months of waiting I finally bought the SC from Tone, now trying to install it. I just got off the phone with a shop nearby to me and he quoted me-ready?- $3500-JUST TO FREAKIN' INSTALL THE THING!!! I thought he thought that I needed the SC AND I wanted him to install it.

My question is this: Any of you guys in the Tri-state area with the SuperCharger have the name/number of a reasonably priced/excellent quality shop to install this thing? Any info. much appreciated.

AlaskaVX
11/23/2004, 02:04 PM
Install should be about 8-10 hours at $75 an hour

VX crazy
11/23/2004, 02:13 PM
Tone has flown out and installed a few......he has been there and done that so no guess work!

Dallas4u
11/23/2004, 02:14 PM
Mine was around $700. I've seen them (final install) between $650 - $800... it just depends on the shop. I think I was quoted around $650, but they said they needed to buy a few parts.

Hotsauce
11/23/2004, 03:48 PM
I installed mine myself. Its was a full days work for me and my assistant. I could do yours at reasonable cost if you were interested. I think we met at Mercer's BBQ.

I run a machine shop, and my helper is a BMW tech.

John C.

kpaske
11/23/2004, 04:20 PM
Is there anyone up here in the Pacific NW that has installed their own? I'm thinking about getting one in the semi-distant future, and possibly installing it myself, but knowing me I'd probably break more stuff than I'd get working, so it might be nice to have some help/guidance.

Medman
11/23/2004, 05:37 PM
Hotsauce,

What are we talking about in terms of cost, time, etc. You can either post here or PM me.

Hotsauce
11/23/2004, 06:58 PM
Not including any materials, we can do it for $500.

You need to supply new:

serpentine belt
full set of injector O rings
throttle body gasket
lower intake manifold gaskets(2)
a few hose clamps and some hose

I would also recommend new thermostat, and gasket.

It took us a full day, I don't think it can be done in much less and still do a careful job.

John C.

Medman
11/23/2004, 07:20 PM
Are all these parts easily obtainable from Pep Boys or its equivalent? or, Would it be easier to price the entire job and see if you can obtain whatever parts you need. I would not trust myself to get the right things and waste the trip to Yonkers only to make you go out and get the parts yourself anyway. Tell me what you think and get back to me.

johnnyapollo
11/23/2004, 07:21 PM
Crap - didn't think about the Throttle Body gasket...

Hotsauce
11/23/2004, 08:40 PM
I just buy parts from st charles, same as everyone else. I doubt local auto stores will have them. I wouldn't ever reuse any gasket unless stuck somewhere.

John C.

Medman
11/24/2004, 04:34 AM
Hotsauce,

I have no problem getting those parts new, but I still don't know their parts numbers for when I order. Would the people at St. Charles know exactly what I would need from the description of the parts you gave me from above? If you had exact parts #'s from the manual or something, I think it would go alot smoother.

MachineVX
11/24/2004, 05:04 AM
The supercharger install will cost me $ 70 per hour.

Jolly Roger VX'er
11/25/2004, 06:31 AM
I was able to get mine installed by my local Isuzu dealer for a grand total of $740.

I didn't think of the throttle-body gasket either....I used the search key and researched what else I needed to buy for the install and didn't come across this..good idea though.

I personally rolled the dice and didn't get the thermostat changed....a good idea to do so as many others have stated as you have to remove the whole intake to change it out.

I've been blessed by the thermostat fairy in that 9 out of the 10 vehicles I've owned; the thermostats didn't fail. The one that did....is my '88 Fiero with 204,000 miles and it failed in the "stuck-open" position which keeps the engine cool!

With the way my luck typically goes...I would've swapped out a perfectly good one and had a faulty/defective one installed! I know....I know....what are the odds...but I'd be the one!!!!!!!

Hotsauce
11/25/2004, 08:47 AM
For anyone doing SC, or just maintenemce to clear check engine light from leaky intake gasket, here are the part numbers.

TB gasket: 8-94389-939-0

lower intake gasket, 2 required 8-97237-538-0

injector O rings 8-17113-400 This is a set of 8 large, and 8 small

There is an upper intake manifold gasket too that gets eliminated in SC install, but would be necessary for N/A engine.

John C.