PDA

View Full Version : 60K Question.....

nyc #1 ironman
11/24/2004, 08:01 AM
My dealers quoted my $555 for the 60k maintenence. It seemed to cover just about everything. My question is , is on repacking the bearings. Admittedly,they said the bearings are a very big job and could run me $289. They say in their own words that this proceedure does not need to be done unless they are broken or have been very abused by offroading which I do not do. I find it strange everyone on the boards says these do need to be changed, but here is the dealer telling me not to do it and claiming I should save the $300 or so bucks if there is nothing wrong with them. Would they not be held responsible if something were to happen to the bearings? He said he would definitely check them for me....

Dallas4u
11/24/2004, 08:08 AM
It looks like the bearing repack should cost between $100 - $150 LESS than what they quoted you... but hey, they are an Isuzu dealer, yes? :D

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4628&highlight=front+bearings

I'd say do it... for peace of mind. I'm not sure if you need to if you don't run it somewhat hard some of the time, but I know our Rodeo probably needs the passenger side repacked, and it never goes off-road.

Tone
11/24/2004, 08:14 AM
60k is tranny filter and fluid, power steering fluid, wheel bearings, cooland, front and rear diffs, transfer case and valve adjustment - if it includes all those, jump on it. See your manual or workshop CD for service intervals and items to be checked.

Dallas, where do you come up with your answers? What services did you ever have done or do on yours?

nyc #1 ironman
11/24/2004, 08:16 AM
Is anything covered under warranty?

Tone
11/24/2004, 08:34 AM
Services like these are not - some manufacturers are covering maintenance for 3yrs but not Isuzu - pay now for preventative or pay A LOT later when the parts fails. Wheel bearings should be done at 30K REGARDLESS if you have been offroad or not. The grease does not last indefinitely and more importantly, slop in the bearings and spindle from normal wear needs to be adjusted for. I would shop that service around as is should not be more than $200, even in New York!

Dallas4u
11/24/2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Tone
Dallas, where do you come up with your answers? What services did you ever have done or do on yours?

Huh? What are you talking about? My answers are tallied from others that post on this forum and my own experience. No, never had the bearing repack done... you are correct Tone. In fact, I never took my VX to the dealer to get ANYTHING done. I performed all oil changes, the 30k service, tire rotations, SC fluid change, anything that I could do myself I did, myself.

I'm not too sure why your last couple statements towards me have been somewhat snide... I'd like to know though. If I'm taking them the wrong way I'd appreciate a nice reply back.

nyc #1 ironman
11/24/2004, 09:01 AM
I called back Tone and it does include the items you asked me to mention. Miracle for a dealer huh? I guess it may change though when I get there. The ole "price quote" till they get your credit card and rape you. LOLOLOLOL... Thanks again you guys for the informative tips enjoy your Thanksgiving....

Dallas4u
11/24/2004, 09:14 AM
Again, if they're charging $289 for the repack, then the rest of the service must be somewhat cheap to come out to $555 for sure.

If you DON'T want to attempt the repack yourself (I've heard it isn't a tough job), then the package price sounds ok. If you're willing to try it yourself and spend some time and a much smaller amount of money on the repack, it sounds like you could save yourself some cash-ola!

Happy Thanksgiving to YOU... have a great one!

nyc #1 ironman
11/24/2004, 12:23 PM
Oops Dallas, Sorry I may not have been clear. The whole 60k thing was $555 excluding the repacking which alone was $289. AsI said previously he insisted I didn't need it since I never went off road or abused the truck at all. He did say he will be certain to look at it when I bring it in... Thanks again Dallas...