PDA

View Full Version : TSB and check transmission light

skyaker
12/15/2004, 11:08 AM
Does anyone have the text for this technical service bulletin?

Office of Defects Investigation
Technical Service Bulletins - Search Results
Report Date : October 5, 2004 at 01:42 AM
TYPE : VEHICLE
YEAR : 1999
MAKE : ISUZU
MODEL : VEHICROSS
Make : ISUZU Model : VEHICROSS Year : 1999
Service Bulletin Num : 0305S001 Date of Bulletin: MAY 01, 2003
NHTSA Item Number: 10001770
Component: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
Summary:
TRANSMISSION INDICATOR LIGHT MAY BE ON AND DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE P1870 IS SET IN THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM). *TT

My check trans light came on yesterday and after checking the codes I have a P1870 trouble code. Am i doomed to spend a fortune on a tranmission rebuild? If anyone has had the same trouble, please let me know. What was the fix?

nater
12/15/2004, 02:45 PM
Check your PM inbox.

Nate

Tone
12/15/2004, 03:04 PM
For everyone else....

P1870
Transmission Component Slipping

Could be nothing more than an adjustment or even a false code. Reset and see if it reoccurs according to my mechanic at Isuzu before you freak,

alleycat
02/17/2005, 03:05 PM
my car just came out of Isuzu with same problem, 1870,tranny slipping. Said could be many things,but most common is ASM switch at outside rear of tranny is most common. So he started by changing that. No guarantees.325 dollars.

SGT.BATGUANO
02/17/2005, 10:35 PM
Have you checked fluid levels running, warm and in "Park"?

skyaker
02/18/2005, 04:55 AM
To update everyone on my VX transmission troubles, I checked the fluid not long after the initial trouble code. Even took it to a transmission shop to check it, they said it wasn't a big problem now. The light went on and off 2 more times and for a month didn't do anything. About 3 weeks ago, I was driving to Tulsa, OK from here (600 miles one way). Near the OK state line on I-40 I heard a pop like a gunshot. Pulled over checked the tires and underneath, all looked OK so I thought it was a piece of road debris that a tire had kicked up. After pulling into the first Muskogee turnpike toll booth, paying my fare and start accelerating, the transmissionshifts really hard, almost chirping the tires. I decide to press on and get it checked in Tulsa, only 50 miles away. I didn't made it. A few minutes later I look out the rear view mirror and to my horror see a blue smoke trail following my VX. I pull over and look under the vehicle to see it coated with transmission fliud. I was near a bridge and wanted to pull up a bit but the VX would no longer move.
After spending 5 days in Tulsa and getting tired of not being home, I got transportation back home. 2 weeks and $2900.00 later :( the VX is ready to be picked up. I am flying out this weekend to get it. At least the tranny has a warranty now. Transmission shop said that there was shrapnel inside and they believed it was a solenoid failure. The shrapnel caused the front seal to fail and the transmission was 4 quarts low due to the leak. The transmission was rebuilt and a new torque converter installed.
What got me was that the check trans light never came on after all of the fluid loss and transmission failure. I guess it takes a lot to make it come on when it does count. Thanks to everyone for your posts.

V-Twin hiCROSS
02/18/2005, 10:33 AM
Wow, $2,900 for a rebuild. I would almost think that you could find a used one for less, maybe not? I really need to get mine in and have the fuids/filter changed. That is a pretty scary story. Sorry to hear that.