PDA

View Full Version : Revs on its own

zadam123
04/05/2005, 05:39 PM
I think my car is possessed, so far this used to happen every once in a while but it is happening more often,

When i first dirve the car it runs fine but on my way to work something weird happens, it seems to be reving high, what i mean is, if im in traffic or even driving on the highway and i put the car in nutrual it revs at 2500 rpm, now it dont happen when i start the car and even tapping on the gass dont bring it down, now heres the wierd part , when i get off the highway about 40 minutes later and get to my fist light i put it in nutral and it revs at 2500 for a few seconds and starts to go down on its own,.

Any ideas what is causing this?

adam

Hotsauce
04/05/2005, 06:23 PM
check the cruise control cable/quadrant, be sure its not sticking. If you have any doubt, pull the cable off till you're sure its safe.

John C.

VX crazy
04/05/2005, 08:42 PM
Sounds like the idle air control valve is sticking in the throttle body. Remove the 2 torx screws holding it in (opposite side of TB from TPS) and clean the carbon out of the orifice and plunger.

thebear54
04/06/2005, 01:09 AM
Adam,
Clean the air control and run some injector cleaner through your tank to get rid of the gunk on the injector tips. When was the last time you changed your fuel filter? Just 4 cents ;)
John

SPAZZ
04/06/2005, 01:26 AM
I have had this happen often. Every once in a while my VX will not run on its own, I have to hold the gas pedal down when starting and shifting just to make it not die. Then after this happens and I have driven it to where I need to go and shut it off, when I get back in it and start it up it revs about to 3500 RPM and stays there no matter what. This makes it very difficult to stop when I hit a red light or stop sign...as the VX is trying to go go go and the brakes are trying to stop stop stop with very little positive stopping power.

xdfarrx
04/06/2005, 08:18 AM
intake gaskets and tps/carbon build up...
fairly common issue

S-naked
04/06/2005, 09:30 AM
This is a really weird solution, but believe me it worked for me! My 1999 VX starting doing this periodically and I could not find a solution. Check EGR valve as noted on this site. Nothing! Check fuses. Nothing.

Took it to the Isuzu place here in town and it would not do it while they had it there (always makes you look like a fool!!).

Finally it did it on the way to work one day, so I drove straight to the shop. As soon as the meter went on, it slowed the idle down! Tech looks at me and says everything was running fine, but he was very interested now. After a long look, he noticed that the left wiring harness to the computer, under the CD player, when wiggled stopped the reving. Told me to keep track of it... if it did it again. Took two months to do it again, but when it did, I took off the cover and carefully wiggled the harness and it went away. That night I crawled under the dash and noticed that the movement that was fixing it was to push back on the wires in the harness(toward the firewall). I very carefully pushed back on the harness and tighten the clips to hold it back alittle...has not done it again in several months!!! Was so scared the it was the connection to the computer board and was going to have to buy that.

I think it was just riding up on the cover plate till it quit making contact on the underside of the connector/clip.

I know it sounds weird...but it's been working for sometime now. Give it a try.