PDA

View Full Version : Any experiance with these brake line kits??

morgan-tec
04/09/2005, 11:32 PM
Okay i would like to see if anyone on here has experiance with either one of these brake line kits. The price is the same and i am just looking for feedback and opinions. Here are the two links:

1. http://www.independent4x.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=839915%7C1109486&PRID=1221569

2. http://www.darlington-offroad.com/item.html?UCIDs=534357%7C1135292&PRID=1194461

So if you have had any experiance with these products please speak up, i am intrested in the good, bad or indifferent. Thanks

Nazrat
04/10/2005, 06:22 AM
I have a set of the Indy4x hoses on my Isuzus and they are great!

I installed a set in my Trooper (200k miles with 34" tires) and it brought the braking back up into the safe area.

The set on my VX made the pedal much firmer. I had bled both systems before installation of the braided lines, so I know that there wasn't any air in there.

Installation is messy. But that's no different than any other set of brake lines. These lines are longer, so on my non-lifted VX there's pleanty of slack. The only thing that isn't "perfect" is that because of the added length of the rear outer lines, I had to bend the bracket (with my bare fingers) that holds the brake hard line to the axle at the outer end up a little bit to give the hoses the gentle bend that is best. Other than that, they fit great.

-Tad

xdfarrx
04/10/2005, 07:54 AM
The first lines look well made...
This was the first substantial upgrade I did. I had Goodridge custom make my lines-

Cyrk
04/10/2005, 08:56 AM
I have been running with the Darlington ones for a bit now... Nice pedal feel and great construction. Very happy with that upgrade and the PowerSlot rotors.

mbeach
04/10/2005, 09:26 AM
I have neither set, so take this for what it's worth.

The Darlington lines look exactly like those from Goodridge and StopTech that I have used in the past. Well built units with solid connections. BUT, they do not list DOT approval on their packaging (that I could see in the ad), this could be very important if you live in an inspection state (especially with the clear sleeving, the lines attract attention). The DOT test is very strenuous, and it's important that the lines you use have approval (if not, I'd go down to Jeg's and just buy $30 worth of Russel components and make my own).

The Independent4X4 lines look very well built (look at the metal crimpings) and boast DOT approval. The red is a bit flashy for inspectors and may attract unwanted attention, but at least you have the packaging to back it up. Not many state safety inspectors will challenge the packaging of a product for DOT approval (or CARB approval for that matter), but it's important to have it with you.

Now, if you live in a non inspection state, pick whatever works, but I'd go with the ones that have been tested to the Federal standard.

-M

morgan-tec
04/10/2005, 10:45 AM
I had also noticed this and was leaning toward the Independent 4x ones. Thansk for all the feedback and please keep it commin.

I have neither set, so take this for what it's worth.

The Darlington lines look exactly like those from Goodridge and StopTech that I have used in the past. Well built units with solid connections. BUT, they do not list DOT approval on their packaging (that I could see in the ad), this could be very important if you live in an inspection state (especially with the clear sleeving, the lines attract attention). The DOT test is very strenuous, and it's important that the lines you use have approval (if not, I'd go down to Jeg's and just buy $30 worth of Russel components and make my own).

The Independent4X4 lines look very well built (look at the metal crimpings) and boast DOT approval. The red is a bit flashy for inspectors and may attract unwanted attention, but at least you have the packaging to back it up. Not many state safety inspectors will challenge the packaging of a product for DOT approval (or CARB approval for that matter), but it's important to have it with you.

Now, if you live in a non inspection state, pick whatever works, but I'd go with the ones that have been tested to the Federal standard.

-M

VX crazy
04/10/2005, 01:33 PM
Darlington and Independent's are the same lines - just go the fronts installed and major difference. They were designed after having Good's fail several times off road. Darlington usually fills orders MUCH quicker.

Morgan, what's the status on the supercharger project?

kpaske
04/10/2005, 02:35 PM
I've got the Darlington lines, front and rear, and they appear to be very well made. They look exactly the same as the Independent lines, from the photos. I noticed only a moderate difference after installation.

I'm curious, if they are exactly the same lines, why the Darlington lines wouldn't be DOT approved? Is there any documentation I can show if I ever need to get inspected?

Nazrat
04/10/2005, 05:17 PM
The Indy4x lines have their DOT approval sealed into the outer coating, so you don't have to keep the packaging. You can see the DOT number here:

http://tad.grosvenor.org/gallery/94TrooperMods/CIMG1963

The line doesn't sit at that angle, that was before I adjusted the little bracket on the axle. They have a more natural position now.

I'm not comparing them on quality as I have never had the Darlington lines, but they are indeed different. The material, construction, (color) and manufacturer are clearly different. I've looked at both up close, and had wanted to upgrade to Darlington lines for a while, but I made the purchase as an impulse buy. I was picking up some tires from Indy4x and saw a set and was very impressed. He has a video of some guy hammering on a line in a vice and it didn't crush.

People with the Darlington lines like them too.

morgan-tec
04/10/2005, 08:16 PM
Morgan, what's the status on the supercharger project?

Well i am still designing the main mounting bracket, but i think i have figured out the fuel. I have had zero time to work on it as of late. I have been pulling 55+hr weeks and we may be taking on a very big project that would go to Sema and the Hot Rod power tour so i am sorry but i have no definate date as to the completion of the prototype. But i will update as i get more done.

jayfotos
04/14/2005, 03:31 PM
Running with the Darlington, easy swap and room for lifted VX's. I need to bleed my breaks, it's been a while......(ad's to list)

Tone
04/14/2005, 07:19 PM
I have both and will post pics tomorrow showing them side by side - the Darlington lines actually look better from a strain relief standpoint. FYI, if you order from Darlington now, you'll get the 4x lines in red.

Tone
04/15/2005, 10:25 AM

morgan-tec
04/15/2005, 12:06 PM
Thanks Tone, so do you have these in stock or did you mean order from them? I will be ordering a set of these soon so let me know.

Tone
04/15/2005, 02:46 PM
4X stocks them and Joe can get them drop shipped to you as he is in NCO school for few more weeks. Joe also responds MUCH quicker to inquiries...I'm still waiting for Independents' response to a large order last year....Don't forget to order the Speedbleeders too - makes a huge difference doing the bleeding.