PDA

View Full Version : Starting problems

PorkChopXpress
04/17/2005, 09:27 PM
I have only had my VX for a few weeks, and I replaced the battery due to a near dead one when I got it. However, now the sucker is turning over when I turn the key, but it keeps going then it finally fires the engine on. After driving around a while, the thing starts beautifully and quick. But when it sits overnight or for a few hours, this happens again. Has anybody had this happen? I have heard of starters getting into a flat spot, I didn't know if that was what it was.

Moncha
04/17/2005, 09:46 PM
Kind of confusing, is the engine turning over but just not firing up or do you hear the starter spin but, it doesn't turn the engine over?

PorkChopXpress
04/17/2005, 10:34 PM
Sorry for the confusion. I can hear the starter keep spinning, then after a while it kicks the engine on. I guess the weird thing is it only does it when the car sits for long periods of time.

Moncha
04/17/2005, 11:14 PM
Sounds like it could be a starter problem, like the solenoid is not engaging all the way when the vehicle sits.. I'm sure someone else will chime in here soon with other ideas as well.

GOVEHIX
04/18/2005, 12:02 AM
i experienced that before, but after i replace my battery it just works fine.
it was something like there wasn't enough power or whatever to turn the engine on.

mbeach
04/18/2005, 07:33 AM
I'm going to assume that you have a new battery now.

Pull that starter and have it bench tested at an AutoZone or Advance Auto for free. If they don't find a problem (watch them closely, or they WILL find a problem), re-install the starter. A lot of times it's just a matter of a loose wire (hot or ground). Removing and re-installing the starter (properly cleaning contacts for the wiring while you're at it) will cure your troubles.

...or you could just whack it with a hammer.

Tone
04/18/2005, 08:50 AM
Sounds like the Bendix gear assembly is corroded and not always extending to contact the flywheel. There is also current drop occuring when the vehicle sitd (depending what accessories have been added) that causes the starter not to spin fast enough to extend the Bendix. You can literally hear the difference when replacing an old stock bettery with a new, higher capacity one (like an Optima) that the starter spins over faster and the engine starts quicker.

Check all your battery terminals and remove the starter so you can clean the bendix and relube it - probably has some rust on it. Bew sure to post your final results.

Triathlete
04/18/2005, 09:02 AM
Also, just because the battery is "new" doesn't mean it is good. Especially if it is from a place such as Auto Zone/Checkers etc. I have bought several parts including batteries from these places in the past that were bad.

PorkChopXpress
04/18/2005, 09:22 AM
I purchased a new Diehard Gold. I thought those were decent batteries. I will definitely get the starter looked at then.

Moncha
04/18/2005, 09:28 AM
In my old parts store employee and service writer experiences, they did exactly what the name implied.

DIED HARD

Most likely starter, but have your battery checked, but not at the place you bought it nor a cookie cutter parts store.. Go to a good independent.

Maugan_VX
04/18/2005, 11:30 AM
mine does the same thing sometimes.

Ironically it seems linked to the fuel pressure reg on mine.

If you turn the key to ON, let the fuel pump work it magic, then start, it seems to not do it as often.