PDA

View Full Version : Interior Mirror Removal

SilverBullet75
04/18/2005, 03:54 PM
Does anyone know how to safely remove and re-install the interior Rear-view mirror? I've found that if you mount it as high up as possible on the glass, you can see pretty well out of the rear window!
Thanks!

Moncha
04/18/2005, 04:11 PM
Glass Shop? There are some after market kits to remount the "Button" the mirror actually attaches to but, to get it off sometimes is not easy and couldcost you a new windshield. There is also a black patch from the factory that will be left behind ) If you have original glass) Not sure if it can be scraped off and still look good

Tone
04/18/2005, 04:31 PM
Taking the mirror off involves a twisting and lifting motion as there is spring clip holding it to the non standard puck. I'd add another one before I tried to remove and remount that one.

LittleBeast
04/18/2005, 09:46 PM
As tone said all you have to do to get the mirror off is turn the whole unit one way or the other and then it slides off. Moncha is right, in order to get the old mounting braket off, the windsheild must be heated to extreme temps and the guy I asked about it who has been doing it for years said that 4 out of 10 times you try to remove it by doing so it will ruin the entire windshield. So what I had them do (when replacing the old Vulture shattered windshield) was to take the old mounting unit off of the old rear view mirror and attach it higher almost to the very top of the windshield, while leaving the old mounting bracket in place. You would be surprized you can't even really see the old one below the new one even though there are two of them on there now.
AND YES IT IMPROVES REAR VISIBILTY A LOT!!!!! Oh my gosh I am so glad I had them do that, I can see cars behind me at red lights now in my rear view mirror!!!!! It is worth having two of the mounting brackets on there. And yes it is so high now it does kinda sometimes interfer with the sun visors, but you can easily move the rear view mirror down a little when you do need the visors (which I have never used because I am tall and they don't help that much anyways). I will try and post some pics of it soon so you can see what I am talking about.
In Christ,
Ryan

Raque Thomas
04/19/2005, 01:24 PM
I assume that you have already tried the technique mentioned in a nother post of adjusting the mirror as high as possible by pushing it up to the headliner and then adjusting the mirror head down? I tried this before replacing mine with an auto dim mirror, and it made a big difference in visibility.

VCrossfan
04/19/2005, 02:02 PM
I agree with Raque...I did that to mine and it helped alot..

thebear54
04/19/2005, 06:48 PM
If by now you have decided to abandon all hope in moving the rearview mirror...don't give up. As suggested the best solution would be the second holder installed with "fish glue" (no it's not ground up cod) it's a special glass adhesive that's been around since King Tut was in diapers. It sounds weird but it works everytime and hold like nothing else.
John

Doug
04/19/2005, 09:04 PM
Here is a great "Poor man's" fix, rotate the mirror 180 degrees. I have mine upside down and can now see a car right behind me. Just don't use the map lights :rolleyes:

LittleBeast
04/19/2005, 11:26 PM
Yeah I tried the whole push the mirror to the ceiling idea and the upside down approach, but really the improvement is minimal. The 2nd mirror mounting bracket is the only thing I have found that is actually worth the time of doing. Seriously it improves visibility a ton. Also if you are above 6'4" like me and others on here the 2nd mounting bracket puts the mirror well above your line of sight, which used to be a problem for me even with the seat tilted back and rear view pushed all the way up. Your call though, and yeah the "aquarium sealant" might work, but the urethane windshield glue is awesome, but you have to let it dry a couple of days before twisting the rear view back on there. Just my 2 little pennies worth.
In Christ,
Ryan

SilverBullet75
04/21/2005, 11:03 AM
Geez Ya'll ! Thanks for all the ideas! I was gone for a couple days and came back on to see all these replies. I love this forum!

I think I'm going to go with the double mounting. I was thinking of mounting my radar detector above/below the old mounting block to hide the looks.

I like the flip 180 deg. idea too... but I use the lights too much.

I'm happy to see that someone has actually done the extra mount idea and had success! It gives me more confidence to actually try it.

Thanks everyone!