PDA

View Full Version : Car revs on it's own

99VX4x4
04/25/2005, 10:34 AM
Ive done a lot of research and found quite a bit of information i would just like to know if the information a have found relates to my problem...

Last night a was driving on the highway and i had to slow from 55+ down to around 10-15 due to an accident and the highway being blocked and everyone slaming on their brakes well when i needed to give it gas again it would rev up to around 3500-4000 stay at around 10-15 mph then drop back down to around 1500-2000 and pick up speed. It started doing this more frequently driving home especially if i needed to give it gas to go up hills or when starting from a standstill. Well i stopped at my girlfriends to drop her off and it was idling around 400-600 rpm but was sounding fine mechanically. I turned it off and let it sit for about 5 minutes before driving home. on the way home it didnt do it as much as before, the only difference is i started it manually the second time compared to remote starting it the first time but i dont believe this has anything to do with the issue. When i went to drive to school this morning it does it constantly just revs up on its on giving very little gas....could anyone tell me what they think the problem is..ie EGR, TCC, fuses, etc. thanks for all your help

Capri
04/25/2005, 11:01 AM
I had one of the hoses split under my hood, turns out air was getting into the engine somehow - and caused confusion to the computer. That played a huge role in my idle problem, as well as starting the car up sometime. Take a look at that to eliminate it as a possibility.

Raque Thomas
04/25/2005, 01:34 PM
when i needed to give it gas again it would rev up to around 3500-4000 stay at around 10-15 mph then drop back down to around 1500-2000 and pick up speed. It started doing this more frequently driving home especially if i needed to give it gas to go up hills or when starting from a standstill.

Sounds like a transmission slipping problem to me.

Moncha
04/25/2005, 02:12 PM
Sounds like a transmission slipping problem to me.

Yep, I'd Raque is more online, search for transmission terms and you'll find more info..