PDA

View Full Version : Brakes....

Thejerseyfish
05/06/2005, 02:23 PM
I live in NJ, just got back from inspection, they failed it for brakes. IT was explained that my rear brakes aren't balanced, and that the one side has almost no stopping power. It doesn't suprise me considering since the ABS light has been on for a while and the ABS has not worked, but the pads are only about a year old. Changed them the same time as the front and the front passed fine. Fluid is a little low so I will fill that and reset ECU. Any insight? Also It failed for a cracked front turn signal lens. Any idea where I can find one online to order?

Owner of the car that you love to hate but can't
Randon :mad:

Moncha
05/06/2005, 04:20 PM
You can start with St. Charles Isuzu parts. Talk with Merlin as he has help a many 'Zoid

You can find their info in the Parts & Accessories (http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Links&file=viewcategory&cid=2) section of the Web Links page

Thejerseyfish
05/08/2005, 08:51 AM
Any advice on the brake end of the post?

VX crazy
05/08/2005, 08:53 PM
Check the rear pads for even wear. If the ABS light is on, resetting ECU will NOT reset it. Probably one of the sensors on the back has been damaged or had the wires pulled out of it - hopefully there are conductors sticking out that you can reattach it to the sensor as the whole harness is around $400 and includes both sensors that are attached permanently.

SGT.BATGUANO
05/08/2005, 10:01 PM
Could also be the leaky rear axle seal that's been going around

Thejerseyfish
05/09/2005, 03:52 PM
Haven't read that post yet have to check it out. Is that leak though a very visible one? I.e. would I noticed fluid under the car?
The sensors? Where in relation to the caliper are they, anyone have a picture of them or a really good description of what to look for?

Owner of the car that you love to hate but can't

Randon

Tone
05/09/2005, 04:23 PM
Hint - wires go to the sensors. They are located on the backside of the wheel hub and held in place with a single bolt. If you put new pads on you could probably pass inspection and you will be able to see if the ones on there are glazed. Only 2 bolts holding the caliper on - takes 10 minutes max to replace the pads.

VehiGAZ
05/10/2005, 05:41 AM
On that note, do the brake pistons simply push back in (to make space for the new pads), or do you have to do any twist-and-push nonsense like on my wife's VW?

Jerseyfish, you may also have a crimped brake line going to one of the rear brakes, but that's more of an outside-the-box theory. Definitely get your brakes up to snuff, though - for yourself, if not for the state. Going is the fun part, but let's face it - stopping is pretty important too!

Tone
05/10/2005, 06:14 AM
Push them back in with a c-clamp

mbeach
05/10/2005, 06:36 AM
Jerseyfish, you may also have a crimped brake line going to one of the rear brakes, but that's more of an outside-the-box theory.

I actually saw this on Saturday while working on a friend's Galant. The line had kinked itself over it's mounting tab on the strut. It caused some very freaky brake behavior.

VehiGAZ
05/11/2005, 05:03 AM
Thanks Tone!