PDA

View Full Version : New VX owner, where do I start!

Chef
05/17/2005, 06:31 PM
So I've never believed that a friend should let their friend drive a stock vehicle, so what should I do? I've been reading on this forum for some time now but still don't feel confident in what direction to take. Lifting, tires, diff's, fluids, intake, exhaust, what should I do? I don't mean to sound like a total noobe as I've modded the hell out of my '98 Grand Prix GTP, porting, blower mods, ect. Just wondering what any of you have done that makes quite a difference aside from asthetic mods and how you went about doing it.

I'm planning on the basics, skid plates, synthetic fluids, different brake lines, what else should I try? I'm still trying to figure out what these little beasts are capable of! So far the off-roading I've done has been quite impressive considering I was using street tires. Since thats the case, with a couple mods, this could be one fun little ride. Any thoughts?

thebear54
05/17/2005, 06:38 PM
Putting the Mods to a VX takes time and a hell of a lot of patience.
It's what ever kind of statement you want to make about your VX.
You already have some ideas...now go and find the right parts and equipment you need (in some cases this may be harder than you think)...ask questions from someone who has been there.
The VX is capable of anything a 4x4 is capable of doing(depending on the driver of course....LOL)
Good luck.....John

SGT.BATGUANO
05/18/2005, 01:28 AM
You can put a blower on the VX too! As a matter of fact I believe some gtp blower parts will work on our blowers :)

MachineVX
05/18/2005, 04:06 AM
I can attest to adding a blower and the difference it makes to the VX. Do a search here for the supercharger kit and buy a kit from Tone Monday. Stainless Steel brake lines also make a big difference. You should also dump the stock exhaust first chance you get, as that thing is a heavy water heater looking piece of iron. The stock tires should be gotten rid of, and sway bars are available from Calmini.

crager34
05/18/2005, 08:42 AM
Just because there are mods available for the VX, doesn't mean they are right for you. Make it your car.

I am gonna disagree with thebear about the capabilities of the VX when four wheeling. It is a strong car for sure, but I don't feel it has quite the capabilities of some other 4x4's out there. ie. Jeep TJ. However, he hit the proverbial nail on the head when he mentioned the driver's ability.

I feel pretty confident in my above statement as I was a Toyota FJ40 owner for 10 years and a TJ owner for 4 years, with a few 4+ trails in Moab and throughout Coloroado when I lived there.

Chef
05/18/2005, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Yea I realize that its my ride, just like my old 240z, my T/A, and the GTP, the diff being that all I was looking for out of those rides was looks and speed. I've off-roaded for years, just never in a VX which is the reason for the post.

In a '68 bronco I used to run around in, diff springs, shocks, locker in the rear, posi up front, diff gears, lift, it turned out to me one hell of mean ride. Point being with posi already in the vx, decent ride height and what not, is this a pretty formidable 4X4 to begin with or does it need plenty of help? We get some pretty knarly terrain in northern utah so I'd like something that can handle it without too many problems, not a dedicated mudder mind you, just something I don't have to steer clear of every mud hole and rock garden in.

Also, has anyone tried porting their exhaust manifolds?

VXtreme
05/18/2005, 12:09 PM
Go with the supercharger!! You'll never want to go back to the stock performance once you add the blower. Stock is great....but blown is better!!

Panther_Black_VX
05/18/2005, 01:18 PM
Sunroof Sunroof Sunroof!!

SGT.BATGUANO
05/19/2005, 12:25 AM
It's pretty capable stock. Here are some additional options.

The s/c kit has been critiqued by many members who have commented that it gives the accelleration the factory forgot.

Tone tried a set of custom made Bob Land headers and noted little, if any improvement, attesting to a good factory design of exhaust.

You might try contacting SWORDY for some custom tie rod sleeves and ends as this is a weak link when offroading isuzu's. He's laid up for the time being, but might make you a set upon his recovery.

Stinkyfab makes some nice, heavy rear lower control arms in 2 different configurations.

There are various stock and member fabbed skid plates available. The main areas of concern are oil pan and transfer case. The space saver spare has been reported to give the TOD system some difficulty, so you may want to use a top rack with a full size spare tire or carry a can or 2 of fix a flat.

Chef
05/19/2005, 05:25 AM
Ahh doctor guano, now that is some potently useful input!

What skid plate design would you reccomend, I like to play in the rocks, not hardcore, but don't want to take any chances.

I'd just like to be able to smirk when my friends with toyota's, chev pickups, grand cherokeeos and others ask me if my little VX can keep up with them on the trails. After dropping this thing in a couple nasty mudholes and idleing out as well as seeing pictures of them in moab in stock trim with some pretty good axle articulation, I assumed the VX is as good as any other out there, within reason of course. (Wouldn't brag to an H1 driver)

So tie-rods and rear lower control arms, any other major weak links anyone can think of?

mbeach
05/19/2005, 09:18 AM
So tie-rods and rear lower control arms, any other major weak links anyone can think of?

Some have voiced concern over the VX's tendency to stall out in deep water, due to the location of the alternator. Others, like myself, have never experienced it.
I have, however, experienced intermittent TOD operation after a water crossing, attributed to water penetrating the seals on the various TOD-related sensors. I've pulled these sensors/connectors apart and packed them full of dielectric grease. No troubles since.

Chef
05/19/2005, 11:28 AM
Where are most of these sensors located? Would alldata pull up a picture do you think or should I just get it in the air and pack all visible connectors? I was in some pretty deep water over the weekend and it seemed to run a bit off afterward so I was wondering if these don't like the moisture.

mbeach
05/19/2005, 11:40 AM
I'm having trouble pulling up photos of exactly what I was talking about, but all I did was crawl under the truck and lube every connector that I could get my hands on. Paying special attention to the ones in the vicinity of the front and rear axles as well as the transfer case.

transio
05/21/2005, 07:58 AM
I think you should look into getting forged internals made up for our engine !!!

That would totally rock! :)

Heraclid
05/21/2005, 09:25 AM
To anyone starting out with a VX who is curious about its capabilities, I would refer you to two things...

Here...

http://www.fourwheeler.com/roadtests/5034/index.html

and this site's galleries. Spend a little time looking at what some of us are doing in these things. ;eeko; :yeso:

The only thing wrong with the article is what they say about the rear door. There's even a photo in it of the guy using the handle, yet they say there isn't one. LOL!

And, it only placed second because
A.) They don't know a handle when it's in the palm of their hands
B.) They can't use their mirrors
C.) They didn't like the interior so much (but rave about the Recaros)

You will note that otherwise (meaning where actual performance is concerned) it owned the competition! :-) It shouldn't have lost due to aesthetics because that's not what the test is supposed to be about.

Let's recap shall we? VehiCross earned the following distinctions...

Best acceleration of the group
Best mpg of the group
Best braking in the group (in their 55-0 test, 111 ft.!!!)
Best ramp articulation EVER tested for an IFS-equipped truck
Best turning radius of the group
Won mechanical category, edging out Tahoe
Won highway category "easily"
Won trail performance category "by a good margin"

What more is there to say? The VX got robbed. I mean please... they heap praise on the Tahoe for having tow hooks? Like we don't?

This quote really gets me...

At Four Wheeler, as you may suspect, we focus on the off-road capabilities of a sport/ute's personality. However, even though 30 percent of our scoring is done off-pavement, the remaining 70 percent is done on-pavement. To win our award, a sport/utility has to do everything well.

Oh really? By their own words, the VX won for trail performance "by a good margin" AND highway manners "easily". Clearly it did "everything well" better than anything else tested. So what exactly happened here? Hmmm?

transio
05/22/2005, 12:20 PM
Clearly it did "everything well" better than anything else tested. So what exactly happened here? Hmmm?Didn't do "everything" well. It didn't sell well.

mbeach
05/22/2005, 02:47 PM
Didn't do "everything" well. It didn't sell well.

LOL, too funny. True, but still funny.

Chef
05/22/2005, 06:43 PM
Well that was a semi-confidence inspiring article. Apparently I shouldn't worry about my friends stock chev truck that tells me he'll whoop my trash in the mud, but what about the other fellow with a lifted grand cherokee? Is the quadra-trac that scary?

I've got skid plates on the way this week as well as some BFG all-terrains. Hopefully this will help a bit since I'll be taking on these guys in a week or so.

Thanks for all the input guys! I can read all day about the VX's equipment but as to what it can really do is a matter of posting what you all have done with it. We'll see what the little VX is made of in the weeks to follow!

hump
05/22/2005, 07:02 PM
I would suggest to start with some wheels and tires. Maybe some 18 inch chrome wheels and 285/60/18 tires. Although you will have to do some trimming, but it is worth it!

mbeach
05/22/2005, 07:38 PM
... but what about the other fellow with a lifted grand cherokee? Is the quadra-trac that scary?

As the former owner of a lifted ZJ, I have to give the nod to it, especially if it has the 5.2 and Q-trac.

But the Jeep was boring in almost every other respect. Since I do 95% of my driving on road, why compromise comfort for 10 minutes of off-highway ability. Advantage, VX.

t2p
05/23/2005, 10:33 AM
There may be other rides that are better (than a VX) in nasty off road conditions, but none of those are close in road manners (handling).

Didn't do "everything" well. It didn't sell well
The small size (especially behind the rear seats) and $30K price tag took care of the sales.

BigJoe
05/23/2005, 03:46 PM
Didn't do "everything" well. It didn't sell well.

I don't fully aggree with this statement. It didn't sell well in all areas. When I first looked far a Vx. I was told that the complete allotment (1999) was sold out. Non of the dealers in the area had them and no other dealer would part with them (outside NJ/NY).

ScottinMA
05/23/2005, 03:59 PM
With respect to the tire mod issue. The Scorpion Zero 285/50/18 do not require tearing into your cladding and will fit your stock 01 VX wheels. I've been running them and it's a VERY significant improvement over the stock tires...OMG!

Scott

Chef
05/24/2005, 02:53 PM
Well I've already gotten another set of wheels in 16 inch, larger variety of tires and this way I can have the meats and the streets for all times of year.

Well I'll try a couple bolt ons and see how it does. The supercharger will come next year. Thanks for the help!