PDA

View Full Version : Idle Problems

TEN36VX
05/21/2005, 01:27 PM
My '99 has 88.6k on it and in since I have had it it's had an idle problem. On occassion it will idle too low and wont want to stay running. After i get it going and run it for a while, the next start idles really high. It seems to come and go and is ussually more frequent on hotter days.

Any body else had this trouble? Any fix ideas? Thought I would put it out there before I drop some coin on a diagnostic...

Heraclid
05/21/2005, 01:36 PM
Do a search for "idle" or such using this site's search feature for more info. Fairly common. May not need to spend much to fix it yourself.

MachineVX
05/22/2005, 11:06 AM
Sounds like an intake manifold gasket issue

newthings
05/22/2005, 11:42 AM
I found my air leak by using Starting Fluid, with small tube extension, to squirt around the edges of the manifold and vacuum fittings. Try the EGR valve, hoses and bracket attachement to the intake manifold. I had lost a bolt.

Starting Fluid is VERY flammable. So is Carb Cleaner. Do not start until you have a fire extingusher close and ready. Carb cleaner will eat paint. Do a little area at a time and listen for idle changes.
This is risky business. If you are not comfortable with accepting the risk -- Don't do it.

Our engine intake gaskets have a history of leaking in a number of car brands.

Good luck , Roy